Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Page snipe-

thanks for the New Recruit Tip pal, it's a great list builder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I wonder if they'll ever update Combat Patrol datasheets to match changes made to the full game. Like, the Aggressors going to WS 3 from 4 and other such changes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Lostconfused posted:

It's really weird because some stuff is still accessible like whatever is in the Black Templar combat patrol or something.

Combat Patrol is free because it's an introductory thing, and the Black Templar are their own thing, although they technically can use the SM codex, they'd lost access to all of the stuff that makes them BT.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You guys really need to see how awkwardly it's handled in the app.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
I wish new recruit had a mobile app, though I suppose a paper list or a tablet could replace the official phone app, especially as more and more content gets paywalled

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

hoiyes posted:

New Recruit is a better army builder and the fancy list printout has all the rules for every unit in an easy to read layout similar to index cards.

Thanks for this.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

DeceasedHorse posted:

I wish new recruit had a mobile app, though I suppose a paper list or a tablet could replace the official phone app, especially as more and more content gets paywalled

On Android you can install it as a pseudo app that opens in Chrome, I don't think the builder works as well on a phone but on a tablet it's pretty solid. I think that having a list open in the 'pretty' export on a phone would be playable though I haven't put that to the test.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

gently caress i accidentally started a tau army

I've been watching newly listed 40k lots waiting for something cool, and just saw 7x old magnetized crisis suits plus "some extras" for $70 usd. The picture of "some extras" looked like... 3 more crisis suits AND a new sculpt commander farsight, just with a little breakage and a missing arm here and there? We'll see if I actually get 10+ suits once the shipment gets here, but whatever. It's cyclic ion blaster time!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

rantmo posted:

I wonder if they'll ever update Combat Patrol datasheets to match changes made to the full game. Like, the Aggressors going to WS 3 from 4 and other such changes.

Doing that would gently caress up inter-combat-patrol balance. The whole idea is that combat patrol uses a different set of datasheets, so they don't have to worry about making sure future balance updates to the general 40k game don't gently caress up combat patrol balance just because e.g. the three units they nerf in Necrons six months from now just happens to be the three units that the Necron Combat Patrol depend on to stay balanced against the Custodes Combat Patrol.

Like, imagine doing it the other way, where combat patrols are balanced against each other and use the same datasheets as the main game, and now for the rest of the edition whenever GW rebalances a faction they have to do it without changing the way any of the units in combat patrol boxes work, so they have to do all their balancing around making sure to only adjust units not in combat patrol boxes. It'd be a design nightmare. (Or having to recall and reissue combat patrol boxes with entirely new sets of units coordinated with each balance update, which would be an actual logistical impossibility.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 27, 2023

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I suppose they could revise the Patrols on the future, but they’d basically have to revise them all at once to keep them balanced. I wouldn’t expect them to do it before they are releasing new patrols for more factions.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
making it impossible to refresh the evergreen value boxes was a bad idea imo

for example, the CSM box is miserable

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I should not have looked at this Cadian decal sheet because I wanted to know what was up with all the numbers.

And apparently all of their squads are organized into ten guardsmen.

Which makes me question my previous assumptions about imperial guard.

Also why a platoon commander can only effectively give orders to one of the three squads under them.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cease to Hope posted:

Imagine being a thousands sons player lmao

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

I play TSons and Necrons. I wept with relief when I saw they have Necrons a new Patrol, but I'm still stick with 20 loving goat-birds.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Oops alll Tzaangors
And gods knows how many Ahriman.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cease to Hope posted:

They can easily refresh the Combat Patrol boxes whenever they want by just writing up a new pdf with a new set of datasheets for the new set of units, and balancing that new combat patrol army roughly against all the other combat patrol armies. They've even mentioned they might do this later -- phase out existing combat patrol boxes in favor of new ones -- as more codexes come out.

The CSM box isn't miserable because they're trapped by the combat patrol schema they've created; it's miserable because it maxes their cost/benefit.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

Oops alll Tzaangors
And gods knows how many Ahriman.

The TSons patrol has an Infernal Master, which is actually a cool model you might want multiples of, and Scarabs are fine. It's not the worst box out there.

I think the worst patrol would be a close race between Space Marines and CSM. I have a whole logic behind this. The worst possible combat patrol would have zero useful units, chock full of filler that's in every box, epic heroes instead of generic ones, zero good-looking/characterful units, monopose models, and bizarre antisynergistic models.

Chaos Space Marines has one unit that's particularly useful right now and another that's mediocre. Legionaries aren't particularly good on their own, but they can easily be used as Chosen, which are good. But they're also the most generic "here's some random marines" set that's in every value box. All the other units are just kind of poo poo in a way that can't be solved without a redesign (except arguably the Helbrute), and Havocs aren't even particularly useful until you have a second box of them. It's also a weirdly terrible value, with a character and three units, putting it behind only Space Marines, Votann, and Dark Angels.

Space Marines are the only ones that can match that. The models are excellent but they're also the ones in the starters and Leviathan box, and they're all monopose, and they're all pretty much poo poo except for the characters, who are pretty redundant. The terminators can arguably be salvaged by getting some melee arms and/or playing them in a non-codex chapter with good terminators (DA and DW, arguably SW), but the Infernus guys are just the least useful possible marine models. And this is the absolute worst value, with two pushfit units and two pushfit characters.

There are some other bad boxes that come close. Custodes, TSons, and Deathwatch are the closest runners-up, with questionably useful filler units (and sometimes characters), a lack of the faction's signature units, and a poor overall value. Honorable mention goes to Blood Angels, which is a good value but somehow contains exactly one chainsword.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 27, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

The TSons patrol has an Infernal Master, which is actually a cool model you might want multiples of, and Scarabs are fine. It's not the worst box out there.

I've played a lot of Combat Patrol. I've played with TSons, Necrons, Dark Angels, Orks, Eldar, Blood Angels, Votann, and Space Marines, and I've played against just about everything but Custodes and AdMech.

TSons is by far the most miserable of those to play against most opponents. Tzaangor drop like flies, Infernal Master can't attach to anything and has to rely on Lone Operative via enhancement. LO isn't nearly as good on the smaller board. Scarabs are good but there's only 5 and they can't win a game by themselves.

Necrons and Eldar are the strongest of the list, in my experience, with Dark Angels hot on their heels thanks to the Redemptor.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i did not take into account Combat Patrol The Game Mode because minmaxing that seems like optimizing the distance i can kick a puppy

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

i did not take into account Combat Patrol The Game Mode because minmaxing that seems like optimizing the distance i can kick a puppy

Theres a lot of room to optimize kicking a puppy. I bet its harder to kick a puppy than a football and people get paid a lot of money for that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow the new models coming out look great Fulgrim especially sadly who ever buys that needs to never touch it ever again after assembling

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow the new models coming out look great Fulgrim especially sadly who ever buys that needs to never touch it ever again after assembling

it's all resin too, gently caress that.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

lol wow, sorry for all you guys. I guess I won't complain so much about trying to store and transport my Tyranids anymore. Those wings and spear are never, ever going to stay attached outside of a display case.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Did FW release resin primarchs before GW made plastic ones in the past, or is this resin monument to hubris all poor fulgrim will ever have?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
You are going to have to pin that spear with a brass rod or something if you want it to stay straight.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The spear is an optional piece for the real sickos who have no intent to ever transport that model. There's a sword that goes on the same arm so you can at least eliminate that if you're worried. He's going to need his own carefully laid out foam case with those wings though. I think the fragility of resin is a bit overstated, but the spines on those wings are begging to snap off.

coelomate posted:

Did FW release resin primarchs before GW made plastic ones in the past, or is this resin monument to hubris all poor fulgrim will ever have?
FW has been putting out resin primarchs for 30k for years. Way before GW started making plastic ones. All 18 have models, Angron was the first back in 2012 and Khan was the last in early 2022. Now they're making variants like Big Evil Horus (who runs 1000 points on his own) and this new Fulgrim. They'll probably continue with stuff like Lorgar Transfigured or Khan on a jetbike (both of which have rules) and not just demon primarchs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure we can expect another Bigger Eviler Horus before long.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah, they’ve said every primarch is getting a second version showing how they changed over the heresy. Some are obvious (daemon primarchs and the ones with actual alternate profiles like the khan, Horus and Lorgar), some are less so. Maybe we’ll see Russ with the spear, or like an even-more-insane Curze

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Can't wait to see late-siege Ferrus

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure we can expect another Bigger Eviler Horus before long.

I guess it's conceivable they give Big E a model.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nah, that's not going to happen. Because then they would also have to give him rules at the same time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

They should make an Omegon in Terminator Armour

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nazzadan posted:

Can't wait to see late-siege Ferrus

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd be shocked if they don't release a Dead Sanguinius at some point

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

I guess it's conceivable they give Big E a model.

Cooked Auto posted:

Nah, that's not going to happen. Because then they would also have to give him rules at the same time.

I think it's going to happen eventually, but it's going to be a long, long time. He actually got a small shout out in the 1.0 custodes rules. It was nothing significant, but there was a rule for one of their HQ choices that dictated they had to be the army's warlord unless the Emperor or Valdor was in the army. There was certainly no intention of releasing a model any time soon, it was just included as a cute little nod for lore reasons.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

The spear is an optional piece for the real sickos who have no intent to ever transport that model. There's a sword that goes on the same arm so you can at least eliminate that if you're worried. He's going to need his own carefully laid out foam case with those wings though. I think the fragility of resin is a bit overstated, but the spines on those wings are begging to snap off.

There's the bendy engineering resin that 3d printers use that would be the best bet for that ridiculous model but I don't think any of the casting resins have the same properties.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Question on how vehicle's work.

If I say have a leman russ with a bunch of side sponsons do we still have to have true line of sight from the sponsons to shoot people, or are vehicles now just more like units and if you can see the target you can poo poo on them with all the weapons?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

BadLlama posted:

Question on how vehicle's work.

If I say have a leman russ with a bunch of side sponsons do we still have to have true line of sight from the sponsons to shoot people, or are vehicles now just more like units and if you can see the target you can poo poo on them with all the weapons?

The second, LOS is from any point on the mini and then you just blast away with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Yes if any part of your vehicle can see its target it can shoot the full complement of guns.