Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Foxfire_ posted:

Nothing currently produced is known to be much worse at detecting variants. Two tests (Clip COVID Rapid Antigen Test, and SPERA COVID-19 Ag Test) have been withdrawn because of reduced sensitivity. All instances of those particular kits have also already expired so you wouldn't be using them anyway

Thanks for the info, appreciated. Luckily smell/taste returned and a relatives friend nearby had the same symptoms and went through the full rigmarole of tests and it looked most likely to be a bad cold. Isolation not too hard anyway as we both wfh full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What are those, and where would you go if you wanted to get one?

Rask pretty much covered it. Peach medical had some Lucira left on the verge of expiration for about 30 bucks but they are sold out.

Cue is here. Cost is 550 for the reader+ten tests bundle. I believe you need the app to get your results. Just the reader is 199. Each test is 55 but you can only buy them in packs of three or more. They also have a subscription concierge service which you can send your positive test to and they’ll presumably send a paxlovid prescription to your local pharmacy if there are no contraindications. That’s another 30 some odd a month.

Metrix is here. The reader is 50, individual tests are 40/ea, they do have bundle deals, and you can test either via spit or swab (though spit is trickier because you need so little so you’ll be spitting a bunch in then dumping to you get the right amount with no bubbles). The metrix reader is also quite slick design and boxed like an iPhone to the point I wonder how much they could’ve saved off the cost of the test/reader if they’d just boxed it cheaper. No app needed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Level of difficulty: Sweden

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Has anyone who's taken the last vaccine booster had previous similar issues with the vaccine booster? for the most part i had soreness but nothing too horrible. has anyone experienced worse symptoms than previous boosters?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

Has anyone who's taken the last vaccine booster had previous similar issues with the vaccine booster? for the most part i had soreness but nothing too horrible. has anyone experienced worse symptoms than previous boosters?
Have some non-anecdote side effect data for Comirnaty / Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (2023-2024 Formula) [bivalent]

https://www.fda.gov/media/172334/download?attachment
Getting the corresponding table for original recipe is surprisingly annoying since it's been withdrawn and FDA doesn't leave old documents easily accessible.

(my anecdoteexperience is the same as all the previous ones: sore arm for a couple days and nothing much else)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Foxfire_ posted:

Getting the corresponding table for original recipe is surprisingly annoying since it's been withdrawn and FDA doesn't leave old documents easily accessible.

Pull up the materials for the related ACIP meetings and you’ll find it there.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Foxfire_ posted:

Have some non-anecdote side effect data

Who are these magical 25% of people who didn't have a sore arm afterwards??

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They're near enough to PCRs that I think you can call them home PCRs as a layman (I think they're all LAMP tests, but same basic principle from what I undertand)

Aptitude Metrix and Cue are reusable (and currently still in business). You have to buy a reader + single use tests. Cue is the Apple of home COVID tests, very slick reader/app design, super easy to use. Also very expensive (like 60/test and you can only run one at a time). The Metrix is cheaper (I think like $45 a test) and can let you batch test (that is, everyone swabs with their own and put it in the reagent vial), letting you test more cost effectively. The last time I looked at the Metrix though, there was a waitlist so ymmv.

Lucira was a single use dual covid/flu test but the FDA slow walked their approval until they ran out of money and Pfizer could buy them on the cheap. Pfizer I think is bringing back a consumer version, but right now they're focused on rolling out a product they can sell to physicians offices. You can still find some online, but they're all very near to expiring.

I don’t think any of these are available in Sweden. Anyway, seems awfully expensive for something that doesn’t convince me is more accurate than a RAT.

“The Cue COVID-19 Test has received the CE mark, authorizing it for sale and distribution in the European Union (EU) for professional use at point-of-care.”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Like PCR, Cue/Lucira/Metrix all detect the virus' RNA by making a giant number of copies of it (if it's present in detectable amounts). Whereas RATs just detect whatever viral protein may be in the sample without amplifying it at all. Those tests are almost certainly a lot better than RATs, though I'm not totally sold that they're PCR quality due to issues with false positives (especially with LAMP, the chemistry used in Lucira and Metrix).

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I got my new covid and flu shot at the same time - I don't think I will ever do that again. I'm cold one minute and then I pot on a jacket and sweating. I think I will spread them out from now on - september will be flu and october will be covid.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Tagra posted:

Who are these magical 25% of people who didn't have a sore arm afterwards??

take a couple of Aleve's an hour before. Make sure you eat because you do not want a stomach ulcer. and take them as needed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm two weeks out and I still show positive for COVID on the home tests. When should I expect a negative result. Did a test this past Saturday and it was positive still.

I don't have any symptoms but still coughing up poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hollismason posted:

I'm two weeks out and I still show positive for COVID on the home tests. When should I expect a negative result. Did a test this past Saturday and it was positive still.

this is normal! iirc about 50% of people will continue to test positive for 14 days, and about 5% of people will test positive out to 21 days.

the lingering cough is characteristic of the disease. my breathing was all kinds of messed up for a month after i recovered from the acute phase. i cracked my rib during one of the coughing fits

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hollismason posted:

Could be any time now, could be another week.

https://doi.org/10.1016%2Fj.jcv.2023.105420 posted:

Among 95 adults, median [interquartile range] time from symptom onset to first negative test result was 9 [5] days, 13 [6] days, 11 [4] days, and >19 days for S antigen, N antigen, culture growth, and viral RNA by RT-PCR, respectively. Beyond two weeks, virus growth and N antigen titers were rarely positive, while viral RNA remained detectable among half (26/51) of participants tested 21–30 days after symptom onset. Between 6–10 days from symptom onset, N antigen was strongly associated with culture positivity (relative risk=7.61, 95% CI: 3.01–19.22), whereas neither viral RNA nor symptoms were associated with culture positivity. During the 14 days following symptom onset, the presence of N antigen remained strongly associated (adjusted relative risk=7.66, 95% CI: 3.96–14.82) with culture positivity, regardless of COVID-19 symptoms.

N antigen is what the common home tests react to.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

it's funny that people say "covid is just the flu" because every time I got the flu for real, it lingered just like covid. Probably worse, tbh.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Hollismason posted:

I don't have any symptoms

Hollismason posted:

but still coughing up poo poo.

:dafuq:

big my mouth isn't filled with bloodm, it's victory wine energy

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

MrQwerty posted:

it's funny that people say "covid is just the flu" because every time I got the flu for real, it lingered just like covid. Probably worse, tbh.

People do not understand the difference between a bad cold and the flu. Influenza nearly killed me, and some of the damage inflicted is permanent. That disease does not gently caress around, get your flu shot.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Most people use the word "flu" for any illness more serious than a cold. I think a lot of people don't realize it's a specific and serious virus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most people don’t have the means to find out what’s making them ill and couldn’t act on that information if they had it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Where is loving Baymax already.

President of our fish club couldn't come to the meeting last week because he finally got Covid. And again at meeting, I was the only one in a mask.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kestral posted:

People do not understand the difference between a bad cold and the flu. Influenza nearly killed me, and some of the damage inflicted is permanent. That disease does not gently caress around, get your flu shot.

Last time I had the flu was in, like, 2013. I felt like I wanted to die for a whole week.

I've made a point of getting my flu shot every year thereinafter.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Kestral posted:

Last time I got influenza was in december '19 and I legit thought I was gonna die in the middle of the night a couple times. It was very bad. It scared the poo poo ot of me, right in time.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Over 3 years on, and as a healthcare worker no less, I finally got covid. According to the first rapid test I took anyways. Was starting to think I was invincible.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mental Hospitality posted:

Over 3 years on, and as a healthcare worker no less, I finally got covid. According to the first rapid test I took anyways. Was starting to think I was invincible.

Goondolences. If you require assistance obtaining Paxlovid and are in the US, there's instructions in the CSPAM thread's OP.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

DickParasite posted:

Goondolences. If you require assistance obtaining Paxlovid and are in the US, there's instructions in the CSPAM thread's OP.

Thank you for suggesting the CSPAM thread. I've already managed to get a script for Paxlovid from the resources there.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Peppermint helps with the gross taste

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Peppermint helps with the gross taste

Holy poo poo these things are putrid. :barf:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mental Hospitality posted:

Holy poo poo these things are putrid. :barf:

it goes away 30-60 mins before your next dose as a reminder lol

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I didn't really get the weird taste. Just felt 90% better the next day.

I hear jolly ranchers help a lot with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For me, the taste could easily be overwritten by eating something, so I got a bunch of raspberries and sugar-free cough drops so I could basically always taste something other than the pax

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I kinda got dead to it after a couple days, but those first couple days it tasted nasty. The symptoms disappearing after 24 hours made it with it.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Apparently a new antiviral is coming that won’t do that

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1717547079168647317?s=20

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

DominoKitten posted:

Any word on what the window is for this? Something more generous than Paxlovid's "by the time you test positive, it's too late" would be great.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Any word on what the window is for this? Something more generous than Paxlovid's "by the time you test positive, it's too late" would be great.

Alas

https://biopharma.media/xocova-powerful-new-japanese-drug-for-coronavirus-treatment-3494/#google_vignette posted:

Xocova, which is suitable for the treatment of adults and children (12 years and older), should be prescribed if no more than 72 hours have elapsed since the onset of symptoms. Otherwise, the effectiveness of this antiviral drug will not be as high.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

One thing that is generically horrifying to me is that the taste disturbance comes from the ritonavir, which was developed for and is still used as an anti-HIV drug.

So there are lots of people in the "Take this drug everyday, it will make your default empty mouth taste bad, and you need to keep doing this forever to avoid dying" boat

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DominoKitten posted:

Yes but what happens if you do add ritonavir? Does it work twice as well or just melt your liver?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Oracle posted:

Yes but what happens if you do add ritonavir? Does it work twice as well or just melt your liver?
It's ~46hr half life, so there'd be no reason to. You could just dose higher if you wanted higher blood concentrations + it's presumably not eliminated via CYP3A4, so breaking CYP3A4 with ritonavir wouldn't change the pharmokinetics anyway

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

DominoKitten posted:

Alas

quote:

"Otherwise, the effectiveness of this antiviral drug will not be as high."

"not as high" but is there any effectiveness at all? How much "not as high"?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Tagra posted:

"not as high" but is there any effectiveness at all? How much "not as high"?

My guess is they don’t know because the study was set up for within three days of symptom onset:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT05305547

https://www.shionogi.com/global/en/news/2022/09/20220928.html

The source saying not as high may have just been assuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I got my new covid and flu shot at the same time - I don't think I will ever do that again. I'm cold one minute and then I pot on a jacket and sweating. I think I will spread them out from now on - september will be flu and october will be covid.

Can confirm, did this yesterday. In bed with sweatpants, long sleeve, sweatshirt and bathrobe. Very achy all over.