Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wish I could catch some of these crashes. Found a semi that fell off an elevated road with its trailer poking straight up in the air and I really wanted to see that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

piratepilates posted:

Demand for single family homes always being too large.

This kind of speaks to the issue with splitting up the housing meter because there is always going to be more demand for single family homes, always. People *want* private homes near their workplaces and amenities, no one really wants to be in hyper dense apartments if given a choice. So the bar is always going to be full far after it becomes irrelevant. If we could tax homes by size rather than setting it by income level it could help but if the housing all costs the same then of course everyone wants a house.

The "free time" meter is probably an attempt to settle this by making it so that people who are living in far off suburbs are taking travel time into consideration, but that isn't going to drive down demand, they'll just want to have houses closer to work.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

explosivo posted:

Any word when the gamepass version is getting that update? :smith:

We might not even get the hotfix. We might just get whatever their first major patch that passes certification is. I forget which game but a developer was talking about how much it was a bitch to get hotfixes out on the Microsoft platform compared to steam.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The "free time" meter is probably an attempt to settle this by making it so that people who are living in far off suburbs are taking travel time into consideration, but that isn't going to drive down demand, they'll just want to have houses closer to work.

Almost all the demand meters appear to be broken. My industry bar is full even when I am at a point where zoned tiles won't spawn a building.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 27, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CuddleCryptid posted:

This kind of speaks to the issue with splitting up the housing meter because there is always going to be more demand for single family homes, always. People *want* private homes near their workplaces and amenities, no one really wants to be in hyper dense apartments if given a choice. So the bar is always going to be full far after it becomes irrelevant. If we could tax homes by size rather than setting it by income level it could help but if the housing all costs the same then of course everyone wants a house.

The good news is that it seems like you can just ignore low density demand completely after a point. I stopped zoning it at 20k pop and I'm just under 50k now.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This is pretty exciting, especially as I’m currently working on a roughly French themed town

https://youtu.be/lFn1gm4iE1M?si=EV0nwHaO5J2qft2O

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It reminds me of the UI problem the Realistic Population mod in C:S1 ran in to, where the HCI bar was taken from SimCity, but it doesn't really work the same way: https://github.com/algernon-A/Realistic-Population-Revisited/wiki/Impacts-on-demand#general-advice-for-new-players

CS1 had the green (res), blue (com), yellow (ind), but that's not really what they're measuring. The blue was commercial and recreational demand, and people naturally want to drive it to 0, but it was more desirable having excess recreational demand. Instead of spamming more and more malls in an attempt to resolve the demand, you just had to make sure the bar wasn't shooting to 100%.

Same with the yellow, which wasn't really industry, but measuring the unemployment of the city.

There's a similar "issue" with the school system in this, as there was in CS1, where people build high schools and see they're not used, and also build colleges and see no one using them, and get very confused, but only some of your population is going to be eligible for each school tier, since they have to be in the right age range and have prior education to use it. So if you build elementary, high school, and then colleges, you also had to wait (key word) for people to progress through the tiers and be eligible for college education.

One of the big problems with the Cities: Skylines games (inherited from CS1, and made more evident with realism mods), is that the UI is kinda misleading, and also kinda lovely. There's a lot of nuance you have to learn about whats actually going on to make it make sense.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

piratepilates posted:

There's a similar "issue" with the school system in this, as there was in CS1, where people build high schools and see they're not used, and also build colleges and see no one using them, and get very confused, but only some of your population is going to be eligible for each school tier, since they have to be in the right age range and have prior education to use it. So if you build elementary, high school, and then colleges, you also had to wait (key word) for people to progress through the tiers and be eligible for college education.

One of the big problems with the Cities: Skylines games (inherited from CS1, and made more evident with realism mods), is that the UI is kinda misleading, and also kinda lovely. There's a lot of nuance you have to learn about whats actually going on to make it make sense.

It's still bonkers to me that apparently no other place in the entire world has any education system. How is it that every person moving to my town lacks even an elementary school education??

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So when uh sims move into the city, do they always count as uneducated?

E: actually that was great fun in Tropico, send your agents to sweet talk university educated people into joining your one man democracy. A graduate is scheduled to be on the next ship, finally we can have a doctor!

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 27, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Muscle Tracer posted:

It's still bonkers to me that apparently no other place in the entire world has any education system. How is it that every person moving to my town lacks even an elementary school education??

Not sure in CS2, semi-sure in CS1 that you can get educated immigrants, but probably doesn't happen at the start: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/sa901j/it_is_100_possible_for_university_educated_cims/

The vibe I'm getting is that you need to make it a desirable place to move to first, and then high value citizens will move there.

edit: also I've played with the lifecycle rebalanced, realistic population, etc., mods for the last x years of C:S1, so those probably change things too.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Concurred posted:

Had a hearse go to a building to pick someone up and ended up planted vertically in the road, causing a huge traffic "incident" that cars couldn't figure out how to go around. Only solve it by demolishing the building with the dead person inside

I assume CS2 doesn't have the same problem that CS1 had with The Great Die-Off? Was so weird watching giant armies of hearses drive around the city like smallpox had just plowed through the place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

The good news is that it seems like you can just ignore low density demand completely after a point. I stopped zoning it at 20k pop and I'm just under 50k now.

It makes sense that it's a thing you can always do but it's also not always a good use of land and a nightmare to provide services for.

Like real life!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

You definitely have people moving into the city with some form of education, you can see it in the employees breakdown for industrial workplaces. And unreasonable number of people aren't educated, but it definitely isn't 100%

Tarnop posted:

I don't understand your point, the bar went up. Bar is supposed to be down. If bar goes up then bar must be made to go down.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's really funny seeing the reddit threads. "Help this game is broken, people yearn for single-family homes in the suburbs but the more I build, the more demand skyrockets and I can't pay the service fees for all of these sparsely populated roads!"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CuddleCryptid posted:

You definitely have people moving into the city with some form of education, you can see it in the employees breakdown for industrial workplaces. And unreasonable number of people aren't educated, but it definitely isn't 100%

I don't understand your point, the bar went up. Bar is supposed to be down. If bar goes up then bar must be made to go down.

My real demand bars just have an attractive light green hat

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Jewmanji posted:

I assume CS2 doesn't have the same problem that CS1 had with The Great Die-Off? Was so weird watching giant armies of hearses drive around the city like smallpox had just plowed through the place.

Yeah I was wondering that myself, I'm only at 7500 pop for my first city

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Waiting for the No Deathcare mod before I buy CS2

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
funny this 100k city runs at about what a metropolis sized city in cs1 would run back on my 8700k 3080 system before I bumped it up to the 7800x3d same gpu, I remember it getting to the point where 3x speed would be the same as 1x speed, could be due to the mods I had too, but I never went too crazy with them, mostly just functionality mods like the traffic one and the roundabouts one, anarchy etc the usual suspects.

edit: eh actually maybe not it's getting pretty low if I zoom in lol

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 27, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have lots of complaints about how altitude and elevation is displayed, and the poor color scheme of underground objects. I want that clean flat white from the first one, otherwise I can't loving see.

However, the road tools themselves are great. I can create any type of intersection and road I want without any mods. That's a huge boon of the new game and it's cool that only thing I miss is not being able to manage stop signs vs yield signs. Otherwise, everything's there and works great, and the tools make smooth and beautiful intersections.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's encouraging that the problems the game does have seen fixable and the stuff you'd expect to be really difficult to get right it does quite well already. I expect to end up eating crow when they never manage to get the economic and logistics stuff working but for now I'm optimistic.

Unfortunately the simulation is what I'm here for so until they fix that side of it the game feels hollow. Fortunately I have 10 days to check out the exciting range of other games on Microsoft Xbox Game Pass for PC

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Tarnop posted:

It's encouraging that the problems the game does have seen fixable and the stuff you'd expect to be really difficult to get right it does quite well already. I expect to end up eating crow when they never manage to get the economic and logistics stuff working but for now I'm optimistic.

Unfortunately the simulation is what I'm here for so until they fix that side of it the game feels hollow. Fortunately I have 10 days to check out the exciting range of other games on Microsoft Xbox Game Pass for PC

Between updates, DLC (yes I know, "ugh"), and mods, I'm pretty confident it'll turn out way better than C:S1.

C:S1 was really feeling the load of old decisions, and DLCs, and mods, all on the same stack. A better base to start with and build off of is exactly what I was looking for, and C:S2 seems like a good base.

At least now we're starting with a realistic scale, realistic population distribution, and (hopefully, when they fix it) a more in-depth economy sim. Half of that stuff in C:S1 either wasn't there, added in the Industry DLC, or added by many mods after the fact.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Play Yakuza 0!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

UP AND ADAM posted:

Play Yakuza 0!

I already have that on Steam so I'm going to play Sea of Stars I think. But Yakuza is definitely near the top of my backlog

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't have it to check but I hear the San Francisco map is significantly larger than the other ones, so expanding the borders may just be a map editor option rather than requiring mods.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to zones not building even when you have demand is that a location can be so unsuitable that even max demand basically won't ever overcome it. Select the zoning in question and look at the color of the road you've zoned/are about to zone alongside, because if it's red then the location is dogshit and might never grow something.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1717696827967861103

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wish it were easier to see where your tram tracks are from a distance. The overlay when putting lines down is okay but when just adding tracks it's real hard to see if you don't zoom in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I wish that zoning didn't completely blot out the buildings underneath so that if I want to turn one house into a gas station I didn't have to go back and rezone one line of green again half the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Pictured, the once prosperous neighborhood of “those f****** treehuggers” and the jackass white dude who described them as such and simply couldn’t stand that they had nice things.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wish that zoning didn't completely blot out the buildings underneath so that if I want to turn one house into a gas station I didn't have to go back and rezone one line of green again half the time.

Press i

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like those retaining walled sunken roads though, shame about the graphical glitches but that sort of thing is stuff I want to build in lots of city builders and never can.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I do like those retaining walled sunken roads though, shame about the graphical glitches but that sort of thing is stuff I want to build in lots of city builders and never can.

If the shadow glitch is fixed they will be very cool. Making on and off ramps for them is a nightmare without Move It and Road Anarchy though, that unholy nightmare mess was the only way I could get those ramps to connect. Also sometimes a section of them will have water for ??? reason and you have to try again.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

I wish it were easier to see where your tram tracks are from a distance. The overlay when putting lines down is okay but when just adding tracks it's real hard to see if you don't zoom in.

You can try going into the Bus menu and paint on the dedicated mass transit/service vehicle lane. Then paint on the tracks. You want a dedicated lane so they don't get caught up in traffic jams anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeC posted:

You can try going into the Bus menu and paint on the dedicated mass transit/service vehicle lane. Then paint on the tracks. You want a dedicated lane so they don't get caught up in traffic jams anyway.

You get automatic dedicated tram lanes if you use a median road, the rails go in the center.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would love a way to set the start and end point of a road and drag the middle around however I want to bend it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

You get automatic dedicated tram lanes if you use a median road, the rails go in the center.

Huh I didn't know that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeC posted:

Huh I didn't know that.

It makes a little island for the stops too.

The island is the entire road segment though so they can get way too big. You can insert nodes with an alley or something to adjust it.

E: The "small homes" negative to happiness seems way out of whack. You rented a place in a cheap apartment building, of course your home is small. Also why is it assuming everyone wants a huge house? I'll take a basic one bedroom apartment in an excellent location over a McMansion in the middle of nowhere any day and I don't think I'm alone in that.

At some point a bigger home is just more empty space you have to clean. Don't need it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 27, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Grand Fromage posted:

It makes a little island for the stops too.

The island is the entire road segment though so they can get way too big. You can insert nodes with an alley or something to adjust it.

E: The "small homes" negative to happiness seems way out of whack. You rented a place in a cheap apartment building, of course your home is small. Also why is it assuming everyone wants a huge house? I'll take a basic one bedroom apartment in an excellent location over a McMansion in the middle of nowhere any day and I don't think I'm alone in that.

At some point a bigger home is just more empty space you have to clean. Don't need it.

Only works for large roads I think, not mediums. boo.

MikeC posted:

This does work tho

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you have phantom traffic light/stop signs in the middle of a road without an intersection, try adding a crosswalk and then removing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cygni posted:

If you have phantom traffic light/stop signs in the middle of a road without an intersection, try adding a crosswalk and then removing it.

What’s funny is I had an intentional crosswalk that spawned a light and like a good American city planner I desperately tried to get rid of the light. The pedestrians will be fine!