Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Corla Plankun posted:

I've found in my struggles (which are hopefully over for a while now because I finally got a Senior job) that Staff-level interviews are WAY more about stupid trivia like "how kafka does X" and "what does Y PaaS thing call its partition key" or whatever than dev ones.

it seems like they want staff engineers to be encyclopedias about the specific technologies the team already picked, so i got a lot of "the team loved you but are getting a more 'senior'-y vibe from you" followups which were equal parts humiliating and infuriating

i feel learning trivia about a specific bus/db/kvs implementation is a waste of time because the problems never wind up being caused by the underlying mechanics, its always people loving up like 2+ layers of abstraction above them, and it is trivial to google if for some reason it turns out to be important. I guess kafka is a bad example because you really do need to memorize a lot of that crap because it absolutely does not work out of the box last I checked (i've been using sqs for the past few jobs because kafka was so annoying to manage and use 5 years ago)

that's lame, sorry. it's usually ok/good to have one living encyclopedia for each of your technologies but you don't need more than one and you shouldn't go out and interview for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
Ranking your proficiency in a language at all sounds like an extremely "still in school" thing to do, just peak Dunning-Kruger. Is there ever a case where adding "I am an ADVANCED Python knower, but only INTERMEDIATE in C++" is beneficial over just adding the most impressive Python project to your resume and mentioning that you know C++?

It just comes off as bad resume building to me, even if they weren't wrong about their abilities

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Its a Rolex posted:

Ranking your proficiency in a language at all sounds like an extremely "still in school" thing to do, just peak Dunning-Kruger. Is there ever a case where adding "I am an ADVANCED Python knower, but only INTERMEDIATE in C++" is beneficial over just adding the most impressive Python project to your resume and mentioning that you know C++?

It just comes off as bad resume building to me, even if they weren't wrong about their abilities

Asking people directly to rank themselves on a 1-10 scale is even dumber, but companies do that a lot too

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
some sort of rough scale of ability is useful sure

1: can program but has never worked with this particular language before in their life
2: can imitate existing code in the code base to add stuff that is similar to what's there already but will have to consult google and so for a lot of stuff
3: can propose designs for a component of an existing project, have some familiarity with the third party library ecosystem
4: can design and implement an entire standalone project in this language, familiar with common tools, libraries, and best practices
5: knows about every rake that they or their team members may potentially step on for any given task well ahead of time

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

now everyone just needs to use the sapozhnik scale and we’ve solved this problem

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if anyone says that they are an advanced python knower and seems to have any spring in their step or cheer in their eyes you know they haven't seen the darkness of advanced level python scripting

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i guess some of those complaints are reasonable but if a candidate submitted code with docstrings I'd pass on them because I don't want to work with a big fuckin nerd

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

no true pythonista

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

Its a Rolex posted:

Interviewer just asked me, "If we asked your references at X and Y to rate your performance, what do you think they would rate you from 1-10?" How am I supposed to say anything other than 10? That question confers almost no information.

Then they asked if they could get a reference for my performance at my current job. Who is giving a reference for anything other than "Yes they work here" at their current position? Isn't that just loving myself at my current role by letting someone I work with know I'm interviewing?

These guys from the start of this month emailed me back this morning after reiterating that they "wanted to move quick and he would take my interview to his team immediately for review". The email, first thing on a Friday morning, said they were impressed with my interview and wanted me to do the take home challenge, due on Monday.

As part of that challenge I needed to implement a system for optimizing a particular kind of device. Then I needed to use that system to solve an almost entirely unconstrained design problem to "make that device" and send them those results, too. Then I needed to give a plan for testing and validating that design in the lab that I provide them with.

It's due on Monday, but if I need an extra 24 hours for my simulations to run and get a better answer (they did not provide licenses to industry design software or compute resources) that would be okay.

They also plaster their NDA all over all documents and made me sign an NDA before the interview, so I think I'm just gonna focus on the panel interview I have this afternoon elsewhere instead of doing free design work on my weekend for a team that ghosted me for almost exactly a month

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Its a Rolex posted:

These guys from the start of this month emailed me back this morning after reiterating that they "wanted to move quick and he would take my interview to his team immediately for review". The email, first thing on a Friday morning, said they were impressed with my interview and wanted me to do the take home challenge, due on Monday.

As part of that challenge I needed to implement a system for optimizing a particular kind of device. Then I needed to use that system to solve an almost entirely unconstrained design problem to "make that device" and send them those results, too. Then I needed to give a plan for testing and validating that design in the lab that I provide them with.

It's due on Monday, but if I need an extra 24 hours for my simulations to run and get a better answer (they did not provide licenses to industry design software or compute resources) that would be okay.

They also plaster their NDA all over all documents and made me sign an NDA before the interview, so I think I'm just gonna focus on the panel interview I have this afternoon elsewhere instead of doing free design work on my weekend for a team that ghosted me for almost exactly a month

We pay our interviewees for their time spent on a take-home exam. Every company should do that. It's only fair. It also incentivizes the company to make the exam shorter so they can pay less.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you know how a lot of people want interviews to be as close to 1:1 with the actual job as possible? this is the monkey's paw curling.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my general rule of thumb for how much despair peeps are under is how long they take to reply to your emails. doesnt work for salespeeps but a lot of the job of bein a salespeep is hiding your despair anyways

one month turnaround...

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 27, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my general rule of thumb for how much despair peeps are under is how long they take to reply to your emails. doesnt work for salespeeps but a lot of the job of bein a salespeep is hiding your despair anyways

one month turnaround...

see i just figure that they hired someone else, ghosted, and then that person bailed in some capacity.

though to be fair, i guess give 'em some despair. unless you meant despair is inversely proportional to time-to-response. but i think you meant regular proportionality

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Its a Rolex posted:

Wait 20 days then ask if they have a remote environment to use for building the sim.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

see i just figure that they hired someone else, ghosted, and then that person bailed in some capacity.

though to be fair, i guess give 'em some despair. unless you meant despair is inversely proportional to time-to-response. but i think you meant regular proportionality

theres a lot of reasons a company might go link dead on you during an interview but the most common one would probably be "company is operating at 99.8% of absolute maximum capacity at all times and any slight issue pushes everything, including hiring, down the priority list."

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

rotor posted:

theres a lot of reasons a company might go link dead on you during an interview but the most common one would probably be "company is operating at 99.8% of absolute maximum capacity at all times and any slight issue pushes everything, including hiring, down the priority list."
agreed that this is the most common, but occasionally weird stuff happens. in my last job search, i went through a couple of rounds with a company, got good feedback, then radio silence from the (internal) recruiter. i followed up, and it turned out that his wife went into labor right after we last spoke, and he'd been on paternity since. i actually ended up taking that job, so i'm glad that i checked back in with them rather than just letting it go.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the internal hiring processes of almost all companies are shambolic and ad hoc and can freeze up at any time (another common cause: some critical stakeholder goes on vacation or a business trip or medical leave and cant sign off on the job offer) and there is no figuring them from the outside (maybe the req got pulled? maybe the group got reorged and the job no longer exists or the new head wants to bring their own person in? maybe youre the #2 candidate and theyre waiting to see if they can come to terms with their #1 candidate? maybe the job didnt actually exist?). just keep sending out applications and working your contact network and dont waste brain cycles trying to make sense of it

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

also hiring process depends heavily on hr not sucking and hr always sucks

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

the internal hiring processes of almost all companies are shambolic and ad hoc and can freeze up at any time (another common cause: some critical stakeholder goes on vacation or a business trip or medical leave and cant sign off on the job offer) and there is no figuring them from the outside (maybe the req got pulled? maybe the group got reorged and the job no longer exists or the new head wants to bring their own person in? maybe youre the #2 candidate and theyre waiting to see if they can come to terms with their #1 candidate? maybe the job didnt actually exist?). just keep sending out applications and working your contact network and dont waste brain cycles trying to make sense of it

good post

:agreed: 100% based on every exposure to hiring I’ve had at megscorps both as a candidate and someone on the inside

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sometimes the company will decide you were a great hire for the role as originally conceived but now that they're thinking about it some more they really want something completely different

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

“we’ll keep your resume on file in case we ever need a fuckin clown lmao”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

well-read undead posted:

:negative:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

well-read undead posted:

i vented about this once and someone i knew who did hiring was like “no it’s real, i keep resumes on file in case more appropriate roles open up!” ok sure lady i guess you’re the only one in the world who does. the tech major who just rejected me definitely is not calling me back next year with an exciting new opportunity i’d be great for.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

well-read undead posted:

lol

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

raminasi posted:

i vented about this once and someone i knew who did hiring was like “no it’s real, i keep resumes on file in case more appropriate roles open up!” ok sure lady i guess you’re the only one in the world who does. the tech major who just rejected me definitely is not calling me back next year with an exciting new opportunity i’d be great for.

I've gotten emails to jump on the interview merry go round again from the tech majors. Joke for a while was everyone had a yearly interview with goog

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

raminasi posted:

my company is small enough that we definitely do this. both for candidates who aren’t as senior as we need but will be good hires once we’re a bit larger and will be able to mentor them a bit, and for candidates who were really interviewing for the wrong role but were clearly very qualified in a different position. unfortunately we need more money before we can give any of them a call so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

Individual hiring managers absolutely will do this.

You are correct that most of the time it doesn’t amount to anything.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tk posted:

Individual hiring managers absolutely will do this.

You are correct that most of the time it doesn’t amount to anything.

The one time I was in a position where we held on to a resume and then was able to find a position for them, we called and they had landed in a much better place than we would have been.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

leper khan posted:

I've gotten emails to jump on the interview merry go round again from the tech majors. Joke for a while was everyone had a yearly interview with goog

yeah i went on two rounds of these before i wised up :mad:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'd say "should've kept pulling the lever," but eh

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 28, 2023

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, i was talking to my boss (formerly a high up at apple) recently and i'm pretty sure there's no way i'd survive a week at a faang

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i’ve got no inclination to work at a faang or megacorp, but i sometimes wonder how i’d fare in those environments

i’d probably be mad a lot

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah, i was talking to my boss (formerly a high up at apple) recently and i'm pretty sure there's no way i'd survive a week at a faang

y

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk about the rest but at facebook zuckerberg does a mma match with all new hires on the first week as a show of dominance

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i don't hesitate to criticize anyone and everyone from the ceo down, and i believe healthy organizations effect change from the bottom up in addition to from the top down.

faangs are very much top down.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

nudgenudgetilt posted:

faangs are very much top down.

Yea this was definitely my experience. I recall an email instructing us that we were at a "burn the boats" moment for some thing. I cant remember what the thing even was. I only remember thinking that whatever refocusing or organizational change they wanted to make that they werent gonna (but totally could) turn back from seemed like...minorly significant with a lot of off ramps if it didnt work out particularly because they had more cash than god.

I was at a faang 10 years ago for a year, hated it, moved back home after meeting my now wife while living in the bay. Overall the company wasnt that bad, I think I just had a real bad boss.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

CarForumPoster posted:

I think I just had a real bad boss.

yeah that’s a universal problem, a bad boss makes any job poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well-read undead posted:

yeah that’s a universal problem, a bad boss makes any job poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your liege and not your suzerain was your experience of vassalism. your suzerain is the guy you go to when your liege is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

well-read undead posted:

yeah that’s a universal problem, a boss makes any job poo poo