Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I liked the EW paladin AF set pretty well, but I kept getting distracted by the hook on one side of the chest, presumably some sort of historical armor bit I don't recognize? I just kept picturing a bunch of horrible slapstick accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cleretic posted:

Thinking about it, the struggle with most of the EW AFs might be that they're a little too detailed and iconic like that; it doesn't quite look right to try to mix parts of them with other sets, so you kinda have to go all-or-nothing.

I dunno, I think I pull it off okay. :v:

E: EW RDM AF chest, almasty serge casting hat, dreadwyrm caster pants/gloves, garo caster boots

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 27, 2023

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Antivehicular posted:

I liked the EW paladin AF set pretty well, but I kept getting distracted by the hook on one side of the chest, presumably some sort of historical armor bit I don't recognize? I just kept picturing a bunch of horrible slapstick accidents.

The reason I use it is because it lets me have a red cape and I'm trying my hardest to get to my character's design I've had since I was a teenager.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh I forgot the AF set I consistently use: HW summoner. That’s my main summoner glam.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

For summoner I use the ARR AF headpiece on all glams. You can't just summon poo poo without a horn it's against the rules.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The hook on the armor is to support the end of a lance. Pretty funny that it's for a weapon PLD doesn't use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_rest

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 27, 2023

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh I forgot the AF set I consistently use: HW summoner. That’s my main summoner glam.

I use the sleeves!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FuturePastNow posted:

The hook on the armor is to support the end of a lance. Pretty funny that it's for a weapon PLD doesn't use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_rest

Well, I'm glad to know my WoL is set up in case the job stone demands I joust some assholes to assert dominance

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Well, I'm glad to know my WoL is set up in case the job stone demands I joust some assholes to assert dominance

Well the Sultansworn are all about asserting dominance. If they tried knocking each other off chocobos with sticks, that would probably be a step up from having a series of personal crises over being unable to make a sword glow

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hopeandjoy posted:

I don't know what it is, but HW just has so much good glam material for me. I think it might just be the fact it went for the straight shot on so many aesthetics since they were doing it first: they don't have to come up with new angles on, like, 'holy priest' or 'steampunk mage', so they could just make the best version of that one thing they could.

Thinking about that, I'm really looking forward to the Dawntrail visual update hitting Heavensward equipment. There's so many HW-era items I use in glams, where the only downside is that they look a little bit scuffed compared to ShB or EW gear.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cleretic posted:

I don't know what it is, but HW just has so much good glam material for me. I think it might just be the fact it went for the straight shot on so many aesthetics since they were doing it first: they don't have to come up with new angles on, like, 'holy priest' or 'steampunk mage', so they could just make the best version of that one thing they could.

Thinking about that, I'm really looking forward to the Dawntrail visual update hitting Heavensward equipment. There's so many HW-era items I use in glams, where the only downside is that they look a little bit scuffed compared to ShB or EW gear.

HW is an embarrassment of glam riches if you're into gothic fantasy aesthetic.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Never liked the look of much of the HW gear, but it does have the best "traditional stagehand" outfit for Ninja with the ilvl 115 set. And I guess Viper gets it, too.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Heavensward gear in a weird place for me mentally because at initial availability it was the capped tomestone gear, so you had to go several weeks to suit up in an entire set and you might not even like it. Even now a lot of the pieces are slightly annoying to get because they're from centurio seals, , unless you started after they were added to the job quests. A good number of sets are also available with alternate dye channels and better textures from PvP, though, which is nice. My favorite is specifically the SCH hands with the potion vial gauntlets.

I'm a big fan of a few Stormblood pieces - especially if you make them dyeable in Eureka. BLM, PLD, and DRK are all some top notch sets from StB.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm allergic to using more than one piece from a set in the same glam, and I'm usually building around whatever the latest neat chestpiece I found is, so I use AF stuff but it doesn't usually stand out as the centerpiece. Aoidos gloves see a lot of use when I want to go asymmetric and/or cover up some chestpiece's arms. Brioso hat is nice as well but there's a lot of nice hats. Boots, sometimes the AF bard shoes look bizarre and sometimes they fit right in, depends on the set and what the rest of the glam is doing. Brioso legs have some patterning that can help a look pop without being overwhelming.

Most of my other jobs I have some bits and pieces, but I don't play with their glams nearly as often so I don't have them memorized in the same ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... why did nobody tell me that the most intense pun of all was hidden in the loporrit quests?

(Carrotsine.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

... why did nobody tell me that the most intense pun of all was hidden in the loporrit quests?

(Carrotsine.)

Kate can be just as powerful in the field of puns, she just hides her strength in a way Koji doesn't.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm excited for when the final 6.x content patch comes out because then I'll spend the next six months perfecting my outfits for my core classes pre-Dawntrial. And then probably pay a gpose photographer far too much money to give me a set of glam shots for each class.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Onmi posted:

The reason I use it is because it lets me have a red cape and I'm trying my hardest to get to my character's design I've had since I was a teenager.

This is just Artix from AdventureQuest.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Onmi posted:

The current pvp reward set has a slick red Cape with dyeable armor, might be your speed.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

I've always been fond of the level 50 warrior artifact gear and finding it dyes really quite nicely helped

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I feel attacked.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Look, I mained SAM through that fight, you can't expect me to pay attention to other players.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's Sam Are I, not Sam Are We.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I started swinging my camera around to face the party spread to remind myself of my next move.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I only started remembering to break people out of sticky prison when I realized I could look really cool doing a backstep maneuver during it. Occasionally I'd be able to backstep into the middle of the triangle without breaking any tethers. Every time my brain would be consumed by "wouldn't it be funny if I sat here in the center and let people die?"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Is there any modern fight that uses sticky tether? I haven't seen one I can remember since HW.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kwyndig posted:

Is there any modern fight that uses sticky tether? I haven't seen one I can remember since HW.

Pandemonium Phoinix Savage
Cid Orlandeau in SB raids

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Got to 124/124 BLU spells. Feeling pretty good about that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

I started swinging my camera around to face the party spread to remind myself of my next move.

In OCE the party stack is forwards and the cone blasts are aimed backwards and it solves this exact problem immediately.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do like the seasonal quests have their own storyline even if I missed like 90% of it because I started when Endwalker dropped.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I played at 2.0 release, and I remember there was some Halloween event that had you using Bomb Fingers to light torches or something like that, and then only came back right after 6.1 released, so I had no idea that the events had an ongoing story. I thought this was a rather unofficial sequel to last year's story. I'll have to look at the dialogue for past events.

Also, interestingly, near the end of the first quest, the NPC has a different insult based on the race of your character. I love neat things like that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

I played at 2.0 release, and I remember there was some Halloween event that had you using Bomb Fingers to light torches or something like that, and then only came back right after 6.1 released, so I had no idea that the events had an ongoing story. I thought this was a rather unofficial sequel to last year's story. I'll have to look at the dialogue for past events.

Also, interestingly, near the end of the first quest, the NPC has a different insult based on the race of your character. I love neat things like that.

Maybe "continuity" would have been a better word. Anyway the impression I got is each seasonal has it's own recurring NPC and sometimes their roles shift like how we got pumpkin lady now.

I do know the Songbirds were a recurring seasonal NPC group they retired for a different one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Valentione's has had an outright ongoing story for a few years now.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The songbirds were actually in the last Little Ladies Day, but they were just on the stage emoting the whole time!

Pumpkin Lady shows up...every other year? I'm not too sure. I know she was in the 2015 event and the clown intro one

Also the summer event has a ton of continuing little side stories, I love it!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
She shows up every year but last year was the first time we got an actual explanation for what her deal is

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I am bad at video games and that Goldor fight took me nearly three hours to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/Jun_on_Fire/status/1718013385739051348?t=ecmWIhbovv98OF_f4piuHQ&s=19