Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The future of gaming is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkxWXTmTdww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

See, this is what mario sunshine SHOULDVE been like

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I set the flower to spanish language (latin america)

It's also what i set the ring to in Ring Fit Adventure

I keep thinking they're the same VA. I keep expecting the flower to say "Your sweat is so shiny and beautiful!" as I run by or something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Video Games Thx posted:

See, this is what mario sunshine SHOULDVE been like

I dislike the break-back double barrel model but pump action racking audio. Pick a lane.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

goatface posted:

I dislike the break-back double barrel model but pump action racking audio. Pick a lane.

notice how mario doesn't have to reload? Makes me think it's a magic gun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Video Games Thx posted:

notice how mario doesn't have to reload? Makes me think it's a magic gun

Well that's not realistic

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Well that's not realistic

I can't believe the modder didn't take this into account, why even bother at that point

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm watching someone do a blind playthrough of Fear & Hunger (OneyPlays, a youtuber I've heard of but only watched some animations of in the past), and, warning-required-content of the game aside, it's fascinating how much of the player's success is based around knowledge through multiple runs. It's similar to Outer Wilds or other timeloop games but with a very different style of game, and interestingly, without an explicit timeloop mechanic. Are there many other games like this, where a seasoned player can do far more than a novice one simply based on what they know vs skill (like in action games)? I think that's what intrigues me most about that game. I mean knowledge about the world and how it functions, not just something like what card combos go well together in a roguelike deckbuilder or what have you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Soulslikes kinda work like that, a lot of the difficulty comes from every enemy and boss having a moveset to learn and most of your retries happen when the game surprises you with something you've never seen before. Which is why NG+ runs tend to take 1/3 of the time your first run did even though it's supposedly harder from increased stats

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Been looking at an LP of the 7th Guest VR remake and I am very impressed by how it managed to incorporate FMV footage into VR, honestly it makes me want to try out VR for once, looks awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pu7QbcZuXw&t=1597s

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Dewgy posted:

REX engine?

Dino Crisis remake????

This, please

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Video Games Thx posted:

Been looking at an LP of the 7th Guest VR remake and I am very impressed by how it managed to incorporate FMV footage into VR, honestly it makes me want to try out VR for once, looks awesome

I kinda hope the upcoming Riven remake does this rather than what they did to account for the FMV in the VR version of the original

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Cyan mentioned they have ways of upscaling the original FMV performances from Riven, though I'm not sure if that's the solution they'll go with. Both Gehn and Catherine's actors have passed away, RIP.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What form are the masters in? They probably didn't shoot on film, but they must have archived copies at significantly better quality than what's in the game

Obduction in VR had FMVs presented as 2D layers in places where you were constrained and couldn't move to awkward angles, like watching them through a small window

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Considering that even Rand would look weird as Atrus with 25 years of aging, I would think a recast would be in store even without that.

Also Catherine's voice was dubbed over in the original anyway, so if they have to record new/better audio, they could just do that for Gehn as well.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Morpheus posted:

I'm watching someone do a blind playthrough of Fear & Hunger (OneyPlays, a youtuber I've heard of but only watched some animations of in the past), and, warning-required-content of the game aside, it's fascinating how much of the player's success is based around knowledge through multiple runs. It's similar to Outer Wilds or other timeloop games but with a very different style of game, and interestingly, without an explicit timeloop mechanic. Are there many other games like this, where a seasoned player can do far more than a novice one simply based on what they know vs skill (like in action games)? I think that's what intrigues me most about that game. I mean knowledge about the world and how it functions, not just something like what card combos go well together in a roguelike deckbuilder or what have you.

It's possible to reach the super secret ending of Void Stranger on your first playthrough, but no one does that because it takes multiple laps and a lot of poking at how the world is put together to get there.

Rain World isn't "run-based", it's a huge open world exploration game, like a metroidvania. Except the only upgrades you get in Rain World are to your real life brain, as you learn (by death) how the world's ecosystem works and where your sluggy cat slots into it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Morpheus posted:

Are there many other games like this, where a seasoned player can do far more than a novice one simply based on what they know vs skill (like in action games)?

so there's this old adventure game called Rogue

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Basically any strategy game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Most games, really

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Video Games Thx posted:

I bought a Quest 3 mainly because I saw footage of Samba de Amigo lol... I have been enjoying it a lot and has dealt with a lot of issues i've had with VR in the past.

7th Guest VR does look cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

so there's this old adventure game called Rogue

Interesting, are there any games that are like Rogue?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Angband

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Waffleman_ posted:

There are some that are lite it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

none

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Video Games Thx posted:

Most games, really

I'd argue otherwise. There's a difference between knowing how to execute a punishing combo or something and knowing that sleeping in a room while the torturer still lives is a chance for a gruesome fate, a difference between a terrible experience being something that you may as well just load from when it happens and an experience to learn some more before you perish and need to load.

Specifically for that second one, in the play I was watching, they jumped down a pit. Upon landing, the character lost both their legs on account of, well, jumping down a long pit, and was forced to crawl. In almost any other game, it'd be a lot easier just to reload, but they kept playing in order to see what else they could learn about the area.

Stuff like this makes knowledge its own sort of meta-currency in the game, something more valuable that experience points, or equipment. Exploration is risky, but valuable not just because of what you might throw into your inventory, but because of what you might learn. Pathologic is kind of similar, now that I think about it. Learning how the game works beyond, like, its actual gameplay mechanics is crucial if you want to beat it with any level of what may be called success.

Waffleman_ posted:

There are a lot of game that are lite Rogue

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess i don't really get your point?
Most games reward knowing the game world

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Video Games Thx posted:

They mean Mastery

It's interesting to watch LPs and Streams of people who have played a game either multiple times or for an extremely long time - they're able to predict outcomes as they have a thorough understanding of how the game operates

An easy example would be Binding of Isaac. Rooms are randomly generated, but there are usually hidden rooms you can bomb your way into once you understand how the room layouts are generated. It's not a difficult skill to learn, but it means you can be conservative in runs with low bomb drops

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Video Games Thx posted:

I'm not surprised, I'm communicating it extremely poorly.

Most games reward knowing the game world, and the world's mechanics, but it's not a particularly large part of the game. There's a difference between learning a game giving you a reward like a slightly easier experience or some extra money, and learning the game being an explicit part of the game, required for you to move forward like levelling up in most RPGs would be. In Outer Wilds, if you don't learn how the world itself works, outside of the basics of flying and movement, you aren't beating the game. In Fear and Hunger, you can be as good and as lucky as the best player out there, but if you don't know what to avoid doing outside of combat, what enemies to avoid, how to appease what gods and whatnot, it's the same.

I guess it's asking a mastery of the game outside of its primary mechanics - combat, platforming, etc. Which is what I've referred to as mastering the game's world, I suppose.

Ah, it's not important I suppose. I just always like seeing the first lesson people learn in this game is "Don't stay outside when it says the barking is getting closer"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Future Knowledge perk: You understand how events can potentially unfold in advance or what the game might throw at you. Gain +1 Developer Insight.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Morpheus posted:

Most games reward knowing the game world, and the world's mechanics, but it's not a particularly large part of the game. There's a difference between learning a game giving you a reward like a slightly easier experience or some extra money, and learning the game being an explicit part of the game, required for you to move forward like levelling up in most RPGs would be. In Outer Wilds, if you don't learn how the world itself works, outside of the basics of flying and movement, you aren't beating the game. In Fear and Hunger, you can be as good and as lucky as the best player out there, but if you don't know what to avoid doing outside of combat, what enemies to avoid, how to appease what gods and whatnot, it's the same.

I guess it's asking a mastery of the game outside of its primary mechanics - combat, platforming, etc. Which is what I've referred to as mastering the game's world, I suppose.

Ah, it's not important I suppose. I just always like seeing the first lesson people learn in this game is "Don't stay outside when it says the barking is getting closer"

I get what you're asking but I'm not sure how I'd separate games that have a lot of that from games that only have a bit of it.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
It reminds me of card games. It takes playing the game and trial and error to see what cards interact with each other to generate win conditions.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Morpheus posted:

Others have kind of alluded to it but no seriously traditional roguelikes were like this, once upon a time. If you look at games like Nethack or Ancient Domains of Mystery, they would include just an absolutely bizarre amount of useful stuff you can learn that goes far beyond just "I know which skills and spells combo together". From like, the fairly common knowledge Medusa has an instant kill beam attack, but you can ignore it if you can make your character blind in some way (either magical or putting a blindfold on, whatever works). To weird stuff like, there's a magic word you can inscribe on tiles to stop monsters from attacking you while you're standing on it (but it only works on monsters that respect it). Do you know how to appease the cat lord? Do you know how to make sacrifices to your own god (and, consequently, how to avoid getting sacrificed by other sentient creatures)? Do you know the single use case of the Potion of Uselessness? All things that can increase your chance of survival without being explicitly, directly related to combat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Video Games Thx posted:

It’s very, very cool tech, and honestly I feel like it works a little too well, maybe?

Like, it looks great, the captures are high quality, you can walk around them and get different angles on the scenes, the performances are hammy and fun, and it all adds together to make my brain launch straight past the uncanny valley into the “this works so well I’m barely even thinking about it” zone. :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wanted to share this here too for the broader audience, but a new Fortnite mini season is starting November 3rd. It is titled "OG" and is going back to the original map.

If you are new player or an lapsed fortnite player who is curious about seeing how this 1 month, weekly changes mini season will play out check out the discord.
https://discord.com/invite/K4bPQGK3

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I won't

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I gotta be honest, this map they've been using with the big jungle pit in the middle is dogshit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gripweed posted:

I gotta be honest, this map they've been using with the big jungle pit in the middle is dogshit.

I think it was a lot better when it had more grind rails and better movement items. Not adding hammers or blades back really hurt the map.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

I think it was a lot better when it had more grind rails and better movement items. Not adding hammers or blades back really hurt the map.

Definitely. The map made a lot more sense when the Attack on Titan movement gear was available. But that was, what, two weeks?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

does this mean Tomato Town is back

what about Loot Lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester