Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Sab669 posted:

SavageGeese's hour long video when the car first launched goes into great detail about how much the car had been iterated upon.

This, it's still basically FM platform but a lot of updates. Regardless, it'sa solid platform, no one has ever been able to tell me what they'd drastically change about it, apart from "make it newer!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Prelude concept looks incredible, and whatever the Cruise Origin (in the image gallery) looks hilarious

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/honda-prelude-concept

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kinda "New Prius" vibes from the hood. But I do like it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The Nissan prototype looks to be designed by an eight year old with a name to match. HYPER FORCE!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

SlowBloke posted:

The Nissan prototype looks to be designed by an eight year old with a name to match. HYPER FORCE!

Yeah and it owns :awesomelon:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45630885/mazda-iconic-sp-concept-details/

rotary, electric, and hydrogen. yeah sure okay

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Japanese government keeps throwing millions at hydrogen since like 2017 to promote research. Another $600 million this year ( ¥100 billion) $100 billion (¥15 trillion). Might as well build something fun with all that government money

I've read speculation that they're pushing hydrogen because as an island nation they're heavily dependent on imports, and you can make pretty much unlimited hydrogen from just nuclear and sea water, whereas oil and lithium have to be imported

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 25, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

pik_d posted:

Yeah and it owns :awesomelon:

I take this back, I saw the front and it's fuckin horrible

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

pik_d posted:

I take this back, I saw the front and it's fuckin horrible

Also wtf is up with those wheels?

Why does every ev have awful looking wheels? Aero?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The GTR designers have been playing WAY too much Cyberpunk

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

the future: integra, prelude, and a rotary mazda are all being sold

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

new gtr literally a Giant Piece of poo poo I'm sorry to say

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's never going to be built but it also looks like poo poo, yes.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Toyota's FT-Se looks dope

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

no lube so what posted:

Toyota's FT-Se looks dope

Why did they name a car after the major London stock exchange index

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Toyota Footsie

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The new Copen Vision being 'normal sized' is interesting, especially since they mention MX5/Miat sized and you take a look at the windscreen...

Toyota own shares in Mazda and are the second largest investor outside of some huge Japanese bank. If the Copen is parts sharing underneath then it could be a very fun car to drive.

https://twitter.com/autocar/status/1717141482832806014?t=h-9Gezo9A2Z5X8f1PCO9gA&s=19

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeNeCactorg&t=99s

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Japanese government keeps throwing millions at hydrogen since like 2017 to promote research. Another $600 million this year ( ¥100 billion) $100 billion (¥15 trillion). Might as well build something fun with all that government money

I've read speculation that they're pushing hydrogen because as an island nation they're heavily dependent on imports, and you can make pretty much unlimited hydrogen from just nuclear and sea water, whereas oil and lithium have to be imported

i've mostly heard of fossil fuel interests pushing hydrogen (since it's currently mostly ff sourced and it's marginally more in their wheelhouse than renewables)

It would be really cool if hydrogen was the next big thing but it just seems so much less practical than electric at all stages in the supply chain

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well they have to carry on the unreliable rotary tradition somehow

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well they have to carry on the unreliable rotary tradition somehow

Rotaries are fine it's just user error :colbert:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
If they release a car that’s anything close to that I will put in an order that day. Fun, secondary cars should have a bit of whimsy. And by whimsy I mean being the first owner with an extended warranty and a dealer in towing distance.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Rotaries are fine it's just user error :colbert:

I worked at the parts counter of a Mazda dealership when the RX8 was available and ordering engines was a pastime activity :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I worked at the parts counter of a Mazda dealership when the RX8 was available and ordering engines was a pastime activity :v:

I should have clarified that doesn't apply to the renesis :v:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

If they release a car that’s anything close to that I will put in an order that day. Fun, secondary cars should have a bit of whimsy. And by whimsy I mean being the first owner with an extended warranty and a dealer in towing distance.

Where are you going to find a hydrogen station? There's only like 14 in the nation.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mr Muskrat's cybertruck illuminates only like 50% of the light bar under braking :thunk:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's not uncommon. Only part of the light bar fully illuminates for the Charger/Challenger under braking and the same is true for some older cars like the 4th gen Accord Coupe and the 2nd and 3rd gen Legacy.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It probably makes the brake light illumination more apparent, honestly. Of all of the choices made for that catastrophe of a vehicle this one is pretty benign.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I do think the slits on the end turning into full cubes ultimately makes it obvious when the car is / isn't braking, but I still think the bar's "logic" should be flipped.

I'm gonna have to keep an eye out next time I'm behind a Challenger because I'm having a hard time picturing how it currently operates

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the running light is the perimiter of the light area, and then the corners illuminate with braking. you can kind of see it in this ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3948371579...5xoC008QAvD_BwE

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If that's how Dodge does it currently, this is "correct". Under braking, the only change is that there is more light.

The cybertruck does the opposite; you apply the brakes and some of what is already lit up turns off...

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

thank you mr musk for saving energy by turning off some leds

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Mustache Ride posted:

Where are you going to find a hydrogen station? There's only like 14 in the nation.

Come on, if they make anything like it the engine would run on 91.

There was an RX-8 concept in 2003 that ran on hydrogen. Like someone said a bit ago, it’s probably getting them some government research money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Everything I’ve heard has mentioned importing hydrogen as LH2 by ship from Australia or the Middle East, nothing to do with domestic production or nuclear. I’d love to be wrong but it feels like “okay what can we do that allows the energy companies the softest landing” seems to be at play.

There’s a lot wrong with Japanese EV policy, but that’s for another time and thread. If anyone has requests I’m going to Tokyo Motor Show Japan Mobility Show next week for work research :ssh: so throw any photo/impressions requests my way.

[Edit] vvvvv Public days run through November 5

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 28, 2023

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

harperdc posted:

If anyone has requests I’m going to Tokyo Motor Show Japan Mobility Show next week for work research :ssh: so throw any photo/impressions requests my way.

I thought was already taking place? Is it a week+ show?

https://twitter.com/PeterNunn3/status/1717046247515947407?t=YXD_gXN--SuUc3Jefajm3A&s=19

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The new SavageGeese video 'Nismo Z vs Mustang Dark Horse vs GR Supra | Laps, Dyno, and Max Money' for some reason was hilarious to me.
After Ford hyped up the Dark Horse, and Nissan talked about doing the Nismo as auto only because it is so tracked focused..... Only to both lose to the manual Supra.
And that the Nissan still has fuel starvation issues, never change Nissan.
I cannot imagine spending that much on a Mustang. As as Ive still never even seen a regular Z on the streets, Im still not convinced that car or the nismo exists outside of press car videos and magazine articles.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Ferrari has announced a new addition to their fxx program

A variant of their 499p, without all the wec restrictions (like the electric motor starting delivering power from still, instead of 190+ kmh).

Participation cost is 5mil € for three year of races.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlowBloke posted:

Participation cost is 5mil € for three year of races.

Do you pay the full five mil up front, such that it actually makes financial sense for Ferrari to be trying to kill its biggest customers on track day one before supporting them through three years, rather than just seeming that way based on this decision?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Do you pay the full five mil up front, such that it actually makes financial sense for Ferrari to be trying to kill its biggest customers on track day one before supporting them through three years, rather than just seeming that way based on this decision?

Upfront, ferrari knows their fxx clientele very well (dentists that couldn't make it in a real gt/lmp race no matter what).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

$5 million is an awful lot of cars purchased for you and your mates to rent tracks and have private track days...

Spend your time dead last in an obscenely expensive car you can only use on certain days or a bunch of cars to use whenever your boys and girls have a spare weekend. Far be it for me to suggest how the super rich waste their cash but why would you even bother taking that option? Same kind of dweeb to wear all the branded gear despite owning one or not.