Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

:rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Yes if any part of your vehicle can see its target it can shoot the full complement of guns.

Is it considered modelling for advantage to give your Baneblade a 12 inch tall fire control director tower?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Z the IVth posted:

Is it considered modelling for advantage to give your Baneblade a 12 inch tall fire control director tower?

Yes.

But also that cuts both ways.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

3 Action Economist posted:

Yes.

Only when you add the 12 inch chainblade accessory

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

3 Action Economist posted:

Yes.

Guess that's one reason GW never made any telescoping parts.

Imagine a tower that goes up in your turn, and down in your opponent's. RAW there's nothing to say your models can't have action parts. :pseudo:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just encase it in that solid clear stuff that makes hotdogs last forever

It may weigh 20lbs but whatever

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Z the IVth posted:

Imagine a tower that goes up in your turn, and down in your opponent's. RAW there's nothing to say your models can't have action parts. :pseudo:

I think it would count as movement, so it'd have to be on your move phase.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Has anyone ever played with or experimented with interactive battlefields? Say theres a drawbridge or something that starts the game up, with an objective in the control room or something. Whoever own the objective can lower/raise the drawbridge at the start of their turn; something like that?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Super Waffle posted:

Has anyone ever played with or experimented with interactive battlefields? Say theres a drawbridge or something that starts the game up, with an objective in the control room or something. Whoever own the objective can lower/raise the drawbridge at the start of their turn; something like that?

Some of the old narrative campaign books had stuff like that and I think some narrative clubs do similar kinds of things.

Some other fun sounding ideas are attacker defender things like a threshold in a wall that you have to blow up before you can advance onto a point or a tower you can demolish to create cover / block a route.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Z the IVth posted:

You can leave your tank turrets unglued and just don't turn them upside down! I wouldn't rotate them for advantage though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Super Waffle posted:

When I had a regular and dedicated group, we played some games like this. Normally as part of a campaign or narrative. It can be a little tricky to balance making the interactions worthwhile, but not so dramatic that they swing the whole game. It can be a fun way to vary up the games though, and if you are doing it as a narrative then you can figure out ways to make it work outside of just points values.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Bee posted:

I think it would count as movement, so it'd have to be on your move phase.

:hmmyes:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nazzadan posted:

Can't wait to see late-siege Ferrus

Severed head sold separately, both are $700

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

But does let you field the Skull Ghost of Ferrus for half the price value of the actual model.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Super Waffle posted:

I feel like PlayonTableTop had a thing like this for one of their WH40K campaigns. Ultramarines and Tau working together to hold a bridge as the Necrons or Tyranids close in?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There was a meat grinder mission in an old White Dwarf from the 90s. Space Marines set up I'm the middle of the table in a heavily fortified position. The tyranid player sets up however they want as long as it's within 6 inches of a table edge. No terrain other than the central bunker complex.

Space marine player gets 2000 points, tyranid player gets 750 but when a unit is destroyed it reenters from reserves at any table edge.

First three turns are night fight rules, but the SM players get 4 spotlights to target units and ignore the penalty.

Goal for the marine player is to not get tabled before the thunderhawks arrive after turn 6.

It was shortly after Starcraft came out so they likely drew some inspiration from there.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was shortly after Starcraft came out so they likely drew some inspiration from there.

Sounds a lot like Starship Troopers, which was out at around the same time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Played a badass match when I was a kid where the big feature was my friend's toy castle had a moving drawbridge and made for the best terrain we had ever seen

Don't ask me how much of that was the rules and how much was just pounding the floorhammer and being like "hell YES, DRAWBRIDGE"

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Neat, my favorite missions in RTS' are always "hold out for X amount of time" and that particular mission in the first chunk of the Terran campaign of SC1 is one of the best. Playing a Warhammer version of it would be fun

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Nazzadan posted:

Neat, my favorite missions in RTS' are always "hold out for X amount of time" and that particular mission in the first chunk of the Terran campaign of SC1 is one of the best. Playing a Warhammer version of it would be fun

Those were the coolest looking DoW2 missions, too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You should do that, but use the Cinematic Marine rules. And maybe double the amount of points the opponent gets as well.
Frankly GW should just re-release those rules updated for 11th, under a giant label of "This is very silly and should be treated as such".

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Cooked Auto posted:

Frankly GW should just re-release those rules updated for 11th, under a giant label of "This is very silly and should be treated as such".

All plastic soldier rules should have such a label.

I would really enjoy a curated collection of asymmetric scenarios. Not curated for balance, but for fun and interesting choices.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Just encase it in that solid clear stuff that makes hotdogs last forever

It may weigh 20lbs but whatever

clear acrylic, aka plexiglass or lucite. ironically it's pretty closely related to the HIPS plastic that GW uses for everything

Super Waffle posted:

this is a significant factor in the most recent season of kill team, where you're opening and closing bulkhead doors to manage the battlefield. i wanna say boarding actions at the end of 9th also had this

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There was a meat grinder mission in an old White Dwarf from the 90s. Space Marines set up I'm the middle of the table in a heavily fortified position. The tyranid player sets up however they want as long as it's within 6 inches of a table edge. No terrain other than the central bunker complex.

Space marine player gets 2000 points, tyranid player gets 750 but when a unit is destroyed it reenters from reserves at any table edge.

battle for macragge! they've redone it several times since, most recently for 10th edition. this take on it is faction independent, so anyone can be the attacker and defender. it's a neat little scenario.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ugh I bought some Boyz on a whim at the model store and now I'm reading the rules and going to a 'how to play 40k' thing at the library on Monday.

I asked my wife for the combat patrol for a holiday present. I have no idea what ork units are good but I'm mostly interested in rolling shitloads of dice and getting stuck in.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ugh I bought some Boyz on a whim at the model store and now I'm reading the rules and going to a 'how to play 40k' thing at the library on Monday.

I asked my wife for the combat patrol for a holiday present. I have no idea what ork units are good but I'm mostly interested in rolling shitloads of dice and getting stuck in.

:getin:

you're in for a lifetime of friends, fun, and poverty!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

coelomate posted:

:getin:

you're in for a lifetime of friends, fun, and poverty!

Unironically cheaper than my 800/month weed habit was.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

coelomate posted:

gently caress i accidentally started a tau army

I've been watching newly listed 40k lots waiting for something cool, and just saw 7x old magnetized crisis suits plus "some extras" for $70 usd. The picture of "some extras" looked like... 3 more crisis suits AND a new sculpt commander farsight, just with a little breakage and a missing arm here and there? We'll see if I actually get 10+ suits once the shipment gets here, but whatever. It's cyclic ion blaster time!

It's probably worth mentioning, before you rush out and buy 30 3d printed ion blasters off Etsy, that T'au are six months or less from a new codex and given that the ion blaster isn't on the crisis sprue there's a good chance it'll be restricted or outright removed as an option for the unit.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Cease to Hope posted:

Space Marines are the only ones that can match that. The models are excellent but they're also the ones in the starters and Leviathan box, and they're all monopose, and they're all pretty much poo poo except for the characters, who are pretty redundant. The terminators can arguably be salvaged by getting some melee arms and/or playing them in a non-codex chapter with good terminators (DA and DW, arguably SW), but the Infernus guys are just the least useful possible marine models. And this is the absolute worst value, with two pushfit units and two pushfit characters.

The Infernus at least look like they'd be relatively easy to saw off the flamer and replace with a bolt rifle?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The Infernus at least look like they'd be relatively easy to saw off the flamer and replace with a bolt rifle?

there's one pose on the sprue drawing a knife that would be kind of a hassle to swap the gun out on, it cheats quite a bit with having that marine's hip and the side of the gun intersect so the carrying strap isn't weird looking

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

pretty much any marine body can be reused for something else with new arms or a weapon swap. the infernus guys are still less useful than other marine models, because the shoulder pads are modelled as part of the arms, they're monopose models, and they're holding their weapons in both hands (necessitating more work to replace weapons).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

It's probably worth mentioning, before you rush out and buy 30 3d printed ion blasters off Etsy, that T'au are six months or less from a new codex and given that the ion blaster isn't on the crisis sprue there's a good chance it'll be restricted or outright removed as an option for the unit.

They haven't been in the kit for a long time, but have still been options. I don't see them getting removed now.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

my LGS has the chaos battle force set with 10x possessed, and I am weak and enchanted by the blessings of khorne army rule. Would possessed work as eightbound, possibly with some berzerker and real eightbound parts mixed in?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Very common hack is to buy 2-3 boxes of Eightbound, build them as Exalted Eightbound and then slap the regular Eightbound arms onto Possessed as you feel necessary and use Khorne Berzerker heads (helms or without helms) on them. I did it, it's not too bad although you do have to cut off a lot of arms and use greenstuff to stick new arms on.

Also 10 Possessed are way cheaper than 9 regular Eightbound.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

coelomate posted:

my LGS has the chaos battle force set with 10x possessed, and I am weak and enchanted by the blessings of khorne army rule. Would possessed work as eightbound, possibly with some berzerker and real eightbound parts mixed in?

Eej posted:

Very common hack is to buy 2-3 boxes of Eightbound, build them as Exalted Eightbound and then slap the regular Eightbound arms onto Possessed as you feel necessary and use Khorne Berzerker heads (helms or without helms) on them. I did it, it's not too bad although you do have to cut off a lot of arms and use greenstuff to stick new arms on.

Also 10 Possessed are way cheaper than 9 regular Eightbound.

This is precisely what I did earlier this year.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Those look sick as hell. I love how much they remind me of the aliens from the old Area 51 arcade shooter.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Athas posted:

All plastic soldier rules should have such a label.

I would really enjoy a curated collection of asymmetric scenarios. Not curated for balance, but for fun and interesting choices.

Basically all the narrative campaign books in 9th had asymmetric narrative driven missions in them.

I played one once where I had a chaos warp energy gate to protect while the earth broke apart among the armies causing loads of mortal wounds.

I don't think I've ever met someone who played any of them, so I see why GW doesn't focus on it.

If you go on wahapedia for 9th edition and go through each of the story packs you can probably save down every single mission and have your own curated set of asymmetrical missions.

The narrative campaign books often also had said missions but they weren't all asymmetrical.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

coelomate posted:

possessed make fine 8B/E8B. they are monopose, oftentimes including most of all of the shoulders and arms in with the torso pieces. this is not a big deal since possessed work fine even without any conversion work done at all, but if you're willing to do heavier work you can do some wild stuff. they also leave you with a pile of useful extra parts, especially mutated arms and helmets.

that box set is a silly good value, assuming it hasn't been marked up. (it was originally $230 USD.) heldrakes are useless and stupid but it's still a savings even if that's dead weight.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Terminators are good in CSM and the DP is good in WE and TSons (I think?). The DP is also such a cool kit anyway.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hello friends I hope you are all having a loyal and imperial day like I definitely am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Why aren't the point costs listed on the datacards? So annoying