Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Turin Turambar posted:

I watched that Digital Circus whatever because you guys were discussing it. It was a bit ehh. Fine, I guess. It's just a pilot I guess, maybe in future episodes they could evolve the characters and have better stories.

My theory of her being hosed up at the end is because she saw the reality, it's like SOMA in that they are digital copies of the people who used the vr headset, the real her already removed the headset and continued with her life, she won't ever escape

thats my assumtion too and others here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked the pilot well enough, I thought the staging and framing needed some major improvement as it felt like they made these yawning 3D spaces that the characters are just kind of dropped in the middle of, but otherwise I could see the appeal.

The immediate release of plushes and merch really soured me on it though, combined with them rushing to impress just how much trauma the characters are going to go through and it feels like a grossly cynical attempt at audience manipulation rather than something truly heartfelt.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

idk, gotta make that money to make more cartoon, might as well roll with it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I liked the pilot well enough, I thought the staging and framing needed some major improvement as it felt like they made these yawning 3D spaces that the characters are just kind of dropped in the middle of, but otherwise I could see the appeal.

The immediate release of plushes and merch really soured me on it though, combined with them rushing to impress just how much trauma the characters are going to go through and it feels like a grossly cynical attempt at audience manipulation rather than something truly heartfelt.

i mean i get that, but also indie cartoons are very "put all your money in a pilot and if its a hit, strike while the iron is hot and milk for all the money to do the series" others like the lakadaisy folks just do the kickstarter root but thats risky too. i usually dont mine handing over gobs of money to the vivizipop or scumhouse teams or etc because its at least mostly going to an indie cartoon so it can take off. i bought the pomni plush just because it can look horrofied on top of my tv or computer.
then again, i am the dude who spent a bunch of money on custom Helluva boss plushies so yeah lol. but i can see where you are coming from.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

How brutal is Scavengers Reign to the characters? 'cause a depressing series about an alien planet slowly munching through an astronaut crew is something I definitely don't need right now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't think Digital Circus is an Industy Plant like some people were insinuating (why would anyone want plants in this industry anyway), but that was jarring. The nicest way you can view it is that maybe they just really wamted to make cute merch of their OCs and already spent a lot of thought on it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Scavengers Reign is fantastic. It’s like if Moebius made anime.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mycot posted:

I don't think Digital Circus is an Industy Plant like some people were insinuating (why would anyone want plants in this industry anyway), but that was jarring. The nicest way you can view it is that maybe they just really wamted to make cute merch of their OCs and already spent a lot of thought on it.

Or they wanted their thing to succeed so they could keep making it?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

LashLightning posted:

How brutal is Scavengers Reign to the characters? 'cause a depressing series about an alien planet slowly munching through an astronaut crew is something I definitely don't need right now.

It's pretty brutal. It's also very good. Maybe avoid if you don't think you're in the mood for it - though there is tenacity and hope intertwined.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 27, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Maybe it’s cause I just watched it, but Scavengers Reign gives me some Fantastic Planet vibes. Obviously minus the ‘humans are tiny gophers in a giant blue people’s word’ part, but how the humans interacted with a bizarre alien planet.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For whatever reason the thing that kept popping into my mind was the 3D 2010s Garfield cartoon. Very stylized artistically but not budgeted quite high enough to make it work

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Maybe it’s cause I just watched it, but Scavengers Reign gives me some Fantastic Planet vibes. Obviously minus the ‘humans are tiny gophers in a giant blue people’s word’ part, but how the humans interacted with a bizarre alien planet.

Very much so. It has to be hugely influenced from that

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

the fanstic planet comparisons make it 100% i'll be checking this out soon

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Very much so. It has to be hugely influenced from that

Haha just realized I was not having an original thought there. Glad other people saw it the same way, I noticed fantastic planet on max a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

JosefStalinator posted:

It's pretty brutal. It's also very good. Maybe avoid if you don't think you're in the mood for it - though there is tenacity and hope intertwined.

I really felt bad for the blond guy who just woke up in the latest episode. What a messed up, disorienting situation that would be!

As a side note the creature at the beginning of episode 5 reminded me of an enemy in a video game but I can't place it. Maybe Metroid Prime? Some of what goes on in Scavengers Reign feels like what would happen if people who weren't superhuman bounty hunters ended up on some of the planets in the Metroid series.

I don't need everything to make sense in a show like this, but I do wonder how Sam and Azi were able to figure out which organisms they could use to help them out and how to use them. Maybe a computer told them?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Ccs posted:

Yeah that series put me in a weird mood because it felt so chill and relaxing but also sad. Bee is a lazy woman who works menial jobs, but shes lazy because she's a robot or at least some sort of synthetic human who doesn't age the same as everyone else, so she doesn't feel the need to really get anywhere in life. Her true goal seems to be to pick up all the bits of the ship that are in the ocean all around the island but she also doesn't feel much ambition to do that until the warlock hands start attacking earth.

Toast has to be a homage to Ranma, where characters like Shampoo were always crashing through walls to fight the main character. The style of Bee and Puppycat strikes me as Rumiko Takahashi crossed with Adventure Time.

I loved that Toast was voiced by a woman who did one of the English dubs for Sailor Moon :allears: . Usagi / Serena as a wrestling heel was fun.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Turin Turambar posted:

In other more interesting news: goddamn Scavengers Reign is good. Great direction, interesting character development, sublime art style. Cool music too!
Although it's making GBS threads way too much in a single character (Kamen). He started in the most screwed up situation of all the survivors, the series present him as the most vicious killer, and now in episode 4 it's is revealed it wasn't a normal, freak accident, it all happened BECAUSE OF HIM. I kinda would prefer if it was just just a normal accident with people doing its best to survive, instead of having a 'villain' figure.
The writing was on the wall for what kind of character Kamen was. You don't have a character run around slaughtering your wonder animals and have a flashback to his rough marriage if he isn't going to be an rear end in a top hat that has made things worse and will continue to do so. Frankly, I'm surprised they had him cause the accident to keep his job, rather than give him extra rear end in a top hat points for doing to to tyr to get promoted or something

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

JosefStalinator posted:

Yeah, this. I'd say that the show doesn't go out of its way to be cruel but also doesn't sugarcoat the fact that humans are pretty small and squishy in the grand scheme of things.

E6: I'm pretty sure everyone except the short-lived blond dude has at this point been mind-controlled and/or infected by something on the planet at *least* once. Considering how much Levi was communicating with the planet's inhabitants and the fact that some of them can straight-up communicate telepathically with or grow sketchy clones of humans, I have to wonder if some or all of them haven't been replaced already.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Nestharken posted:

Yeah, this. I'd say that the show doesn't go out of its way to be cruel but also doesn't sugarcoat the fact that humans are pretty small and squishy in the grand scheme of things.

E6: I'm pretty sure everyone except the short-lived blond dude has at this point been mind-controlled and/or infected by something on the planet at *least* once. Considering how much Levi was communicating with the planet's inhabitants and the fact that some of them can straight-up communicate telepathically with or grow sketchy clones of humans, I have to wonder if some or all of them haven't been replaced already.

I hope Levi's magic plant connections/brain reassemble him and he comes back later :(

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

JosefStalinator posted:

I hope Levi's magic plant connections/brain reassemble him and he comes back later :(

I fully expect this to happen.

Man, gently caress that Hypnotoad.

Was that aged up Azi at the end? That would add a new wrinkle to the situation.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Think it's supposed to be a survivor from a prospecting mission before the Demeter, the person who carved out the memorial for whoever John was.

I don't think anyone's been fully replaced yet, just that one attempt on Sam.

The alien goop taking over Levi is just giving it sentience, and then channelling the personality of its creator Fiona, for better or worse, so far worse.

God drat Scavengers Reign is good. I love the orchestra soundtrack and how weird and disturbing it can get. The space vignettes were great, very 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mycot posted:

i think ever since Hazbin/helluva boss showed you can make a bunch of seed money from merch and then make even more by having multiple merch drops a year, i think he had a fanbase for awhile now so i am not shocked they had some merch ready to go. if it makes you feel better, their isnt that much merch. 2 shirts, 2 plushes, a pin and poster. https://glitchproductions.store/digitalcircus

the stuff that sorta bothers me is alot of the icon horror where they basicaly make a marktible monster and poo poo first and then spend the whole time making cheap poo poo based off characters for money.

MJeff posted:

Or they wanted their thing to succeed so they could keep making it?

its this. if you want to make it you have to have some merch ready, espcially if it explodes, if you don't strike while the iron is hot, your hosed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think ever since Hazbin/helluva boss showed you can make a bunch of seed money from merch and then make even more by having multiple merch drops a year, i think he had a fanbase for awhile now so i am not shocked they had some merch ready to go. if it makes you feel better, their isnt that much merch. 2 shirts, 2 plushes, a pin and poster. https://glitchproductions.store/digitalcircus

the stuff that sorta bothers me is alot of the icon horror where they basicaly make a marktible monster and poo poo first and then spend the whole time making cheap poo poo based off characters for money.

its this. if you want to make it you have to have some merch ready, espcially if it explodes, if you don't strike while the iron is hot, your hosed.

Yeah, animation is very expensive, so you need to have a reliable revenue stream if you want it to be successful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno why you'd call it cynical or a dastardly plot, at least more than usual for this industry, to sell toys of characters in your cartoon, especially when you have an audience that's supposed to enjoy watching these characters and likely to immediately clamour for ways to express that. It's already a huge thing more with shows that can't or refuse to sell merchandise that fans want, fans will make their own toys to fill that need.

If anything it's a correction for how the american toy industry is a loving bizarre and arbitrary mess of corporate brain that very often has to be dragged kicking and screaming into making things that the audience wants to buy. People make fun of all that weird expensive and/or creepy anime merchandise, but in Japan they just make whatever sells for whoever will buy it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Kamen is sort of a cross between Gaius Baltar and Rusty Venture.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything it's a correction for how the american toy industry is a loving bizarre and arbitrary mess of corporate brain that very often has to be dragged kicking and screaming into making things that the audience wants to buy. People make fun of all that weird expensive and/or creepy anime merchandise, but in Japan they just make whatever sells for whoever will buy it.

There's a distinct reason why anime DVDs that are only 2-3 episodes are ~$60 per disc. Honestly, Disney could probably try this with some of their prestige series at a more reasonable price point and it could sell fairly well.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would much rather you immediately come out with merch ready to go because if I'm someone who likes the thing and wants to support it, I have an immediate, simple, obvious way to support it. I give you my money, my money hopefully helps the thing I like keep getting made and in the meantime, I get a cute toy of the thing that I like. And this thing is probably as popular as its ever going to be at least if and until it gets picked up, so having the merch ready to go on release is striking while the iron is hot which, again, if I'm someone who likes the thing and wants more of it, I vastly prefer you to do.

Is it a bit :capitalism:? Sure, but. Those are the rules. Makin' stuff costs money. We may, in fact, live in a society.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MJeff posted:

I would much rather you immediately come out with merch ready to go because if I'm someone who likes the thing and wants to support it, I have an immediate, simple, obvious way to support it. I give you my money, my money hopefully helps the thing I like keep getting made and in the meantime, I get a cute toy of the thing that I like. And this thing is probably as popular as its ever going to be at least if and until it gets picked up, so having the merch ready to go on release is striking while the iron is hot which, again, if I'm someone who likes the thing and wants more of it, I vastly prefer you to do.

Is it a bit :capitalism:? Sure, but. Those are the rules. Makin' stuff costs money. We may, in fact, live in a society.

All that merch costs money to produce and that money is upfront with no guarantee that it will sell. Where's that money gonna come from unless that's gonna now cut into the show's budget? What about distributors? Just because a show will have merch as soon as it's released, what's the incentive for distributors to stock something there's no guarantee of selling? It doesn't make any business sense to just gamble on a property like that in that way when there's nothing to base it off of.

For broadcast TV, the majority of income came from ads (streaming is trying to pivot to this). Merch sales were considered extras, but not worth wasting resources on unless it could at least get a season 2 when distributors would actually have some measure of guarantee that it could sell. Even then, some of that wouldn't even be available until when a 3rd season comes out.

Edit: Anime, for the most part, bake in the cost of DVD production for pretty much every series and the price partially reflects the risk, but also indicative of how willing otaku are willing to splurge if it's a particularly popular series.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a distinct reason why anime DVDs that are only 2-3 episodes are ~$60 per disc. Honestly, Disney could probably try this with some of their prestige series at a more reasonable price point and it could sell fairly well.

Anime DVDs often featured retouched animation, so sometimes there's extra labor involved in producing these things.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Xelkelvos posted:

All that merch costs money to produce and that money is upfront with no guarantee that it will sell. Where's that money gonna come from unless that's gonna now cut into the show's budget? What about distributors? Just because a show will have merch as soon as it's released, what's the incentive for distributors to stock something there's no guarantee of selling? It doesn't make any business sense to just gamble on a property like that in that way when there's nothing to base it off of.

For broadcast TV, the majority of income came from ads (streaming is trying to pivot to this). Merch sales were considered extras, but not worth wasting resources on unless it could at least get a season 2 when distributors would actually have some measure of guarantee that it could sell. Even then, some of that wouldn't even be available until when a 3rd season comes out.

Edit: Anime, for the most part, bake in the cost of DVD production for pretty much every series and the price partially reflects the risk, but also indicative of how willing otaku are willing to splurge if it's a particularly popular series.

It is a gamble. Good thing they got 42 million views!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also y'know, they probably do like the characters they've spend at this point hours and hours drawing, animating, writing, voicing and creating stories for, and hope that other people like them too. It'd be rather weird to make a show where people didn't.

And nowadays when you can cut out a lot of the distributor middlemen and not have to deal with the suits obsessed with demographics and whether it goes in the pink aisle or the blue aisle it's probably a lot easier to sell toys when no matter how niche your audience can just go to your web site and buy them to be delivered.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Anime DVDs often featured retouched animation, so sometimes there's extra labor involved in producing these things.

The infamous bad cabbage comes to mind.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
A lot of people who do these things have fandoms that followed them well before it, and that gives them a huge advantage when it comes to having an established audience that is not just down for what you're creating, but likely more willing to support it financially.

For example: Viv was already famous on DeviantArt before she even went in to SVA, plus some Adobe promotional things featured her around that time as well, etc. Dana Terrace was also quite established on there beforehand. (I'd mention other examples of people who came into that environment with the same online fame beforehand, but they are thankfully canceled for being a huge fukken creep!)

This isn't to dig at them, but fandom online and certain artists are able to cultivate independent audiences in ways that were just not available, say, 10-20 years ago.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I think it's also that plushies are just easier to get made nowadays. There's that one company that does, effectively, Kickstarters for YouTube artist's OCs to have a run of plushies being made. The Bloodborne Kart lady has had two different plushie runs, a guy who makes fairly simple animations had a run for his slime-blob character (and maybe the character's baby, too?)

Edit: Bloodborne Kart lady (with 100k followers) has had two plushies, JoCat with 1.13M followers has had 7.

Glitch has 3.55M followers, and is an organisation, so makes sense to take things into their own hands, work directly with whatever Chinese factory produces these, and make... 2 plushies.

Edit, again: there's also this website you can work with to get a plushie made.

At this point it'd be more strange if they hadn't made plushies. It's the new t-shirts!

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 29, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nameless Pete posted:

Kamen is sort of a cross between Gaius Baltar and Rusty Venture.

Don’t say this because this will make me want to watch the show and I already have too much random poo poo on my plate. >_>

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

LashLightning posted:

I think it's also that plushies are just easier to get made nowadays.
my brain is still stuck in the early 2000s where a goon spent months trying to produce a Fiestacat plushie and ended up with this

eldomtom2
Oct 13, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

combined with them rushing to impress just how much trauma the characters are going to go through
I mean, the premise of the show is that the characters are tormented psychologically. I don't see how you can build up to that because the characters have no reason to pretend everything's hunky-dory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's like saying it's bad taste to make plushies of Tom and Jerry. Or toys of Darth Vader.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It is vaguely bad taste to make toys of space nazis tbh

Not that I have taste, but the point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sivart13 posted:

my brain is still stuck in the early 2000s where a goon spent months trying to produce a Fiestacat plushie and ended up with this

Thank you for this I died at the manufacturer apparently only being able to do pomeranians

mycot fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 30, 2023