Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Just noticed this in the latest Powerhouse Films (Indicator) email.

quote:

pH POINTS

We hope you have enjoyed using pH Points, Powerhouse Films’ loyalty scheme, since we introduced it in 2020. Due to a range of logistical and administrative challenges (sales are good and we don't need to be nice anymore), we have decided to wind down pH Points over the last months of 2023.

As of today, we will cease issuing new pH Points. However, we will be reducing the threshold for the minimum spend of pH Points from 1,000 to 100. Furthermore, pH Points will continue to be redeemable until 1 January 2024.

Italics mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

My discs from the Criterion flash sale just showed up, hot drat! I wasn't expecting to see them before next week

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Roger Corman visits the Criterion Closet:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1715424468078674212

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Big Mac posted:

My discs from the Criterion flash sale just showed up, hot drat! I wasn't expecting to see them before next week

Mine too! What a great surprise. They look as good as ever, though my Polyester copy didn't come with an Odorama card. I can't wait to watch Malcom X after hearing how good the release is.

Of course he'd pick Targets immediately :allears: I hope this is a prelude to getting some Corman releases from them. The Poe cycle, Little Shop of Horrors, maybe Death Race 2000.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do you think criterion will ever release a blu ray or 4k of the rock? Just remembered my friend had the dvd and it had a nice cover.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Do you think criterion will ever release a blu ray or 4k of the rock? Just remembered my friend had the dvd and it had a nice cover.

Really doubt it unless something changes with Disney's licensing. Maybe they'll eventually pull a Paramount and expand licensing to all the main boutique players.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kingtheninja posted:

Still waiting for Criterion to upgrade the DVD

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I'd love a Criterion update on The Rock but also Armageddon for sure
That commentary is the stuff of legends. I picked up the Criterion DVD of it a while back.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'd like to thank this thread for pointing me in the right direction and leading me to what is honestly one of the coolest things I now own.

I can't believe I'm holding a real copy. It's so homemade and earnest. Can't wait to actually watch it.

:kimchi:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's very cool!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for pointing me in the right direction and leading me to what is honestly one of the coolest things I now own.

I can't believe I'm holding a real copy. It's so homemade and earnest. Can't wait to actually watch it.

:kimchi:

That’s amazing! Love it!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Had to drive halfway across town to find one, but I picked up that Best Buy Wicker Man 4K steelbook and man is it pretty. It’s a bummer BB is tossing their media sections next year, their exclusive stuff almost always looks great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait how do I get a Coven VHS

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Wait how do I get a Coven VHS

I found Mark's email and reached out to him directly. $35 plus $7 shipping. It took a few months but he delivered.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

he also usually posts on social media when he has some available

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I found Mark's email and reached out to him directly. $35 plus $7 shipping. It took a few months but he delivered.

If he can find 3,000 people like you across this country, he'll be in business, man.

The more I contemplate it, the more I think American Movie might be my favorite movie.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i've looked around a bit trying to find a non-vhs way to watch this 'coven' film. what's the best way? looks great and would love a dvd/blu-ray or something.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's included as an extra on the American Movie DVD release, but not the Blu-Ray. I highly, highly recommend watching American Movie first if you haven't. It's incredible.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I always wished they had followed Mark’s family around for a while too because there’s interesting interpersonal stuff in the doc like how Mark resents his brother. I know it’s not really about that, but I’ve seen American Movie so many times I want more context.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

abelwingnut posted:

i've looked around a bit trying to find a non-vhs way to watch this 'coven' film. what's the best way? looks great and would love a dvd/blu-ray or something.

https://rarefilmm.com/2023/06/coven-1997/

and then buy a vhs copy to support dude

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 23, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Watched four films this weekend, starting Friday night with Dreams Don't Die, a made for tv movie that aired on ABC on May 21 1982, about a juvenile in queens or brooklyn (i forget) who is a popular "writer", a kid who tags subway cars with graffiti, and the saviour black cop in the film sets him on the right path. Very safe and "crime doesn't pay" but I appreciate the view into that world, however sanitized, and am glad the movie's preserved.

That led me next pull Moments Like This Never Last off the shelf, a documentary about a NY street artist named Dash Snow, whose work was in the late 90s and 2000s. He died in 2009; the film was created by Cheryl Dunn, who shot much of the footage back in the day. Touching and largely bereft of the usual tropes seen in the documentary mill, her years of labour in shooting and editing are evident.

Saturday I moved on to Radio On, from 1979, a British film that i have to watch again because i don't even know. Great vibes. Such succulent vibes. Sit in that world for 104 minutes if ever you get the chance. Currently chewing through the generous supplementary material.

Finally ended on a rousing note. Times Square, from 1980, starring the girl from Dreams Don't Die, Trini Alvarado, who, with Robin Johnson, play a pair of young girls in new york who run away and generally own hard as burgeoning punk stars. Also Tim Curry turns in a stellar part as a late night FM DJ who delights in the girls' rebellion. Despite being cut down from director Allen Moyle's original vision, it is such a great female-centered story. No goddamned boys!! Easily passes the Bechdel test. My favourite of the bunch, it's an actual hidden gem (a lot of stuff released by these labels is forgotten for a reason... this being neglected is a tragedy).

I love owning movies. Having a bunch of new stuff to watch when the mood strikes owns. It loving owns. gently caress your streaming, and buffering, and compression and logins and subscriptions and gatekeepers, i watch on disc like g*d intended

Edit: typos

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 23, 2023

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Radio On is great. Saw it at a theater last year and then saw VinSyn had it. Easy purchase.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just out of curiosity, looked up at what films have notable anniversaries and new restorations to get an idea of what could be coming in 2024:

CRITERION:
Good chance we're getting UHD upgrades of Godzilla and Seven Samurai for their 70th anniversary, as UHD are already out in Japan.
Very likely getting Blu upgrades of these DVD-only titles thanks to new restorations: I Know Where I'm Going!, Peeping Tom (likely UHD as UK is getting it), The Devil and Daniel Webster,
Also likely to get UHDs of Brazil, The Last Emperor, Naked Lunch, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as most have UK releases already.
We're probably getting more Scorsese - most likely would be Who's That Knocking at My Door and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (which turns 50), but I can see them also doing 4K upgrades to The Age of Innocence and The Last Temptation of Christ. There's also a 4K master of The Color of Money, but that's Disney.

WARNER:
First, it's worth mentioning that Warner Bros. not only owns their own films, but the pre- May 1986 catalog of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer catalog (actual MGM films like The Wizard of Oz and Ben-Hur). It's been speculated they're partnering with the current MGM on a 100th anniversary celebration for 2024.
It's also the 100th anniversary of Erich von Stroheim's Greed (which could be either a Criterion or Warner Archive release).
They just released a bunch of remaining Best Picture winners they own like The Broadway Melody, Cimarron (1931), and The Life of Emile Zola. They only have The Great Ziegfeld and Around the World in 80 Days remaining, both of which have been hinted as in the works.
The 1954 A Star is Born has a 60th anniversary and it's been stated by their catalog division head wanting to do a new release with both the theatrical cut and the partial reconstruction.
50th anniversary for Blazing Saddles, seems like an obvious UHD upgrade.
40th anniversary for A Nightmare on Elm Street, so I'd say it's a toss up between them releasing their own set or licensing out to Scream Factory.
40th anniversary for Amadeus, already confirmed as in the works for 2024 by the Saul Zaentz estate.
25th anniversary of Eyes Wide Shut, which is one of only three Warner-owned films yet to get a UHD upgrade (others are Lolita and Barry Lyndon). I'd expect if Warner's doing this, then Criterion will do Lolita and an upgrade of Barry Lyndon.

SONY:
Columbia Pictures will also be celebrating 100 years in 2024, so I'd expect some special stuff. No Columbia Classics UHD Vol. 4 announcement so far, so perhaps they're doing something next year.
One of the biggest omissions from Blu-ray have been the Three Stooges shorts... and it'll be the 90th anniversary of their first films for Columbia. Wouldn't be surprised if they do a box set or something as the HD masters look quite beautiful from the few that have made it to other releases as extras.
On the Waterfront will be 70 years old, so very likely to get a UHD either from Columbia or Sony directly, as well as It Happened One Night turning 90.

LIONSGATE:
They're distributors for Zoetrope, Francis Ford Coppola's company. It's already confirmed that The Conversation and One from the Heart have been in the works, with the former being 50 years old next year.

DISNEY:
Very likely we'll get UHDs of The Black Cauldron and The Sword in the Stone, as they were given proper restorations like the recent UHDs of Snow White and Cinderella, but have been exclusive to Disney+
It's also the 70th anniversary of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 60th for Mary Poppins. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything, though.
There's also plenty of Fox titles worth putting out and have anniversaries, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

PARAMOUNT:
Chinatown will be 50 and given they just put out Rosemary's Baby, it being a Polanski film won't harm it coming out to UHD finally.
With Paramount now licensing to Criterion, Kino, Arrow, Shout, and now Vinegar Syndrome - lots of possible titles.

SHOUT FACTORY:
50th anniversary of John Carpenter's first film Dark Star, which has already been rumored as being underway. There's also a new restoration by Deaf Crocodile for Assault at Precinct 34 that they've already hinted at Shout releasing.

UNIVERSAL:
Likely 50th anniversary release of Spielberg's The Sugarland Express
Good chance of more Universal Monsters UHD sets

KINO:
Hard to speculate, but they have confirmed the following are likely coming in 2024...
Blu-ray: Fletch/Fletch Lives (remastered), Scarlet Street (remastered), He Walked by Night (remastered)
UHD: Cry-Baby, Kindergarten Cop, Twisted, Paint Your Wagon, Play Misty for Me, Charley Varrick, Ilsa series, The Eiger Sanction, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Uncle Buck, Sea of Love, Brokeback Mountain, Prime Cut, Invasion of the Body Snatchers '56, High Noon '52, Cowboys and Aliens, A Fistful of Dynamite, Bad Lieutenant (Ferrara), Sneakers, Brick, Fear and Desire (including all three early Kubrick shorts in 4K Dolby Vision, as well as two cuts of the film)

MILESTONE:
Both I Am Cuba and Killer of Sheep are supposed to finally be upgraded to Blu-ray.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 24, 2023

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I am drowning in boxsets

Working my way through the Umbrella release of the Winding Refn Pusher trilogy, they're enjoyable enough. I finally picked up more Godard with the StudioCanal Essential boxset and will go through them next - after that I've got the Curzon Von Trier set and I honestly don't know why. Gives me an excuse to offload my Criterion Breaking the Waves and standalone Nymphomaniacs and House That Jack Built, I guess.

Also kinda upset that I forgot/didn't see the set didn't have Dancer in the Dark.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Bunch of Scream Factory stuff on sale on Amazon. Grabbed Escape from NY 4k for 22 bucks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive just announced their December releases:

Anna Christie (1930)
Tarzan, the Ape Man (1932)
The Great Ziegfeld (1936)
Gentleman Jim (1942)
Madame Bovary (1949)
A Midwinter's Tale (1995)
Saving Grace (2000)
Looney Tunes Collector's Choice Volume 2 [previously announced for Nov 28]

The classic-era films were scanned in 4K from 35mm preservation elements except for Gentleman Jim, which is from the nitrate camera negative. Cartoons and other shorts included as extras. Anna Christie will include the alternate German language version remastered in HD. Saving Grace will have two commentaries.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Arrow is supposedly putting out 4ks for Conan the Barbarian / Conan the Destroyer

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Awesome, excited for a 4K Conan the Barbarian. Destroyer is fine also I guess.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Arrow is supposedly putting out 4ks for Conan the Barbarian / Conan the Destroyer

You're welcome, thread. I just got these on blu :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

GrandpaPants posted:

You're welcome, thread. I just got these on blu :(

Thank you for your sacrifice!

https://x.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1717906425836421414?s=20

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Second Sight have announced their UK release of Mean Streets on 4K including booklet and art cards, for 50 whole British pounds, which seems excessive. The set looks nice and the booklet has some essays by writers I like but does anybody actually do anything with those art cards? Of all the releases I've bought with them included (MUBI likes to include them a lot) they just stay in the case.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Carpet posted:

Second Sight have announced their UK release of Mean Streets on 4K including booklet and art cards, for 50 whole British pounds, which seems excessive. The set looks nice and the booklet has some essays by writers I like but does anybody actually do anything with those art cards? Of all the releases I've bought with them included (MUBI likes to include them a lot) they just stay in the case.

Absolutely love Mean Streets but yeah, this is a bit much for me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm excited for DEQ, URBER

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

new line = new line cinema = TMNT 2 secret of the ooze uhd

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I just saw Eight Eyes, the first movie Vinegar Syndrome co-produced, at a horror movie festival. The photo doesn’t really look like it but there’s enough similar imagery in the movie that I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what it is.

Eight Eyes itself wasn’t really good but I’m sure it’ll have its fans

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

PinkoBastard posted:

Absolutely love Mean Streets but yeah, this is a bit much for me

Looks like there's criterion 4k coming soon?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gripweed posted:

I'm excited for DEQ, URBER

DEGAUSSER

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Brexit the Frog posted:

new line = new line cinema = TMNT 2 secret of the ooze uhd

All I want is a UHD of the original TMNT movie so I can watch Casey Jones commit 2nd degree murder with a garbage truck in front of 50+ people in 4k, as god intended it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
TMNT 1 is way near to the top of my 4K wishlist.