Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ah, this must be what the ukraine ultrafans feel like

how disconcerting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

fits my needs posted:

on the al jazeera english live stream you just hear constant artillery shelling

"Constant" is not hyperbole either. Just listened for about a minute, it quite literally never stops.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Israel needs a "humanitarian pause" to relax their muscles and have some sippies after wailing on a toddler for 8 straight rounds.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

israel is going to be absolutely malding when they realise they can’t take gaza

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

can I get some L’s in the chat?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
all the pentagon people that al jazeera keeps bringing on just sound like the worst pieces of poo poo from 2003 when invading iraq

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DiscountDildos posted:

https://x.com/ballesteros_312/status/1718019197366669344?s=20

"A ceasefire would not help the residents of Gaza" is an astounding thing to say

The moral bankruptcy of demokkkrat party cannot be overlooked

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Jel Shaker posted:

israel is going to be absolutely malding when they realise they can’t take gaza

Israel is such a Genocide Andy dude

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

DiscountDildos posted:

"A ceasefire would not help the residents of Gaza" is an astounding thing to say

He should have quacked back at her

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
if Israel agrees to a 'humanitarian pause', it will be for the same reason the Portland police voluntarily agreed to temporarily stop deploying teargas during the George Floyd uprisings (they had run out of teargas), and, like then, it will last exactly as long as it takes for them to get more munitions and not a second further

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Mean Baby posted:

is cuckbollah gonna do anything. What is their raison d’etre other than to fight in this exact situation?

Harassing IDF in Galilee.

https://twitter.com/SpacemanStoned/status/1717975794390282246?s=20

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

weirdly my government voted for the non-binding UN resolution thingy. that's nice, i suppose.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

As far as I can tell, these post-heroic studies concern Euro-US states, which obviously feel a distant remove to the colonial violence required to maintain their standard of extractive living. Have similar studies been made on Israel?

Yes, and they're even more cowardly, but for psycho Zionist reasons about every Jewish life being precious.

INT. A SPACIOUS, WELL-LIT MEETING ROOM - DAY

The room is adorned with large maps of the Middle East, military insignias, and a large digital screen displaying graphs and data. Web Smith and John Connor sit across from each other at a sleek table. The atmosphere is tense, charged with the urgency of unfolding geopolitical maneuvers. Connor, with a deep knowledge of Israeli military strategy, begins to lay out the intricate narrative of IDF's casualty avoidance strategies.

CONNOR:
(sifting through a dossier)
The Israeli Defense Forces, the IDF, have long embraced a doctrine aimed at minimizing casualties, a reflection of the society's aversion to losing lives in military engagements. This is a narrative intertwined with technological advancements, societal shifts, and strategic doctrines borrowed, often uncritically, from the American military.

SMITH:
(skeptical)
Technological shortcuts to minimize the human cost, huh?

Connor nods, displaying a graph on the digital screen showing the escalation of IDF's air and standoff firepower over the years.

CONNOR:
Indeed. Take the seven-day Operation Accountability in 1993 for instance. Following a Hezbollah attack, the IDF unleashed a massive air and artillery campaign aimed at pushing back Hezbollah and imposing a sense of “accountability” on the Lebanese populace harboring them.

He swipes the screen, showing images from the operation - artillery shells raining down, drones in the sky, and devastated Lebanese villages.

CONNOR:
(continued)
Their reliance on precision strikes, artillery, and airpower reflected a shift towards what's termed "postheroic warfare." It's a notion rooted in the desire to inflict maximum damage while keeping Israeli casualties to a minimum.

SMITH:
But it didn't stop Hezbollah, did it?

CONNOR:
Exactly. Hezbollah’s guerrilla tactics continued unabated. Despite the IDF's high-tech arsenal, their entrenched, decentralized operations proved resilient.

He flips to another graphic showing the intricate network of Hezbollah operations.

CONNOR:
(continued)
Fast forward to 2006, the Battle at Wadi Saluki showcased the pitfalls of the IDF’s approach. The political disconnect, inadequate ground troop training, and an overarching desire to avoid a messy ground campaign led to a scenario far from the desired decisive victory.

Smith leans forward, absorbing the narrative as Connor swipes to a page showing the casualty figures from the 2006 war.

CONNOR:
(continued)
The reluctance to engage in ground operations, the preference for airpower, it's all tied to a societal shift towards casualty aversion and an over-reliance on technology, much of which was mirrored from the U.S military's transformational concepts.

He swipes to a photo of IDF soldiers, their faces reflecting the weariness of conflict.

CONNOR:
(continued)
Yet, the harsh reality remains. The IDF’s efforts to avoid casualties through technology and standoff firepower had its limitations against a nimble, adaptive foe like Hezbollah. The emulation of American military concepts, while advantageous in some regards, often overlooked the unique complexities of Israel’s operational environment.

As Connor and Lieutenant Smith cruise through the streets of Tel Aviv, the complex tapestry of Israeli culture awaits to unfold before them. The backdrop of the rising sun gives a poetic touch to the blend of oriental and neoliberal that marks the Israeli ethos.

Connor looks over to Smith,

CONNOR: Lieutenant, our journey into the heart of Israeli culture is much like peeling layers off an ancient yet ever-evolving onion. Each layer reveals a narrative, a shift in military and societal paradigms, echoing the complex dance between tradition and modernity.

Smith interjects,

SMITH: Sounds like a delicate balance.

Connor nods,

CONNOR: Precisely. Now, as we delve into the IDF’s military thought evolution, bear in mind, the transformation wasn't just a shift in tactics, but a reflection of a deeper societal metamorphosis. In the formative years post-1948, the IDF was a realm of intellectualism, commanders like Yigael Yadin and Yohanan Ratner were not just military men, but thinkers, influenced by European military thought.

SMITH: A blend of the old world and the new...

CONNOR: Exactly

Connor continues,

CONNOR: But as decades rolled by, the sands shifted under the IDF's feet. The old elite began to fade post the 1973 October war, giving way to a new breed of commanders, mirroring the societal shift towards neoliberalism. The allure of material success in a free-market economy began overshadowing the ideological fervor of yesteryears. Military service was no longer seen through the lens of ideological nobility but through the prism of materialistic prospects.

Smith looks out at the bustling markets they drive by, the essence of neoliberal materialism is apparent.

Connor goes on,

CONNOR: This shift wasn't just a military phenomenon but a reflection of the larger Israeli society. The appeal of being a warrior or intellectual was being overshadowed by careers in business and high-tech sectors. The military’s competition with the civilian sector for the bright minds was apparent. The society was evolving, and with it, the ethos of its military.

SMITH: A tussle between the old and the new.

(Connor smiles)

CONNOR: Indeed. And as we approach the heart of Tel Aviv, you'll see this tussle reflected in every facet of the Israeli society, from the bustling tech hubs to the serene Kibbutzim. The narrative of Israeli culture is a fascinating blend of orientalism retaining its humor amidst the encroaching waves of neoliberal materialism.

As they drive deeper into the city, the sun casts long shadows on the streets.

INT. A SPACIOUS, WELL-LIT MEETING ROOM - DAY

Smith shuffles through another dossier on the culture of the IDF.

SMITH:
(sifting through a dossier)
Look at this, Connor... the IDF's brain drain to the civilian sector. It's like a revolving door. The call of the corporate world, too loud to ignore. Higher pay, safer desks. The brilliant minds are lured away before they even get their boots dirty.

CONNOR:
(smirking)
Aye, the battlefield's loss is the boardroom's gain. Mandatory military service can’t chain the ambitious to a life of olive drab. But it's more than just a chase for shekels. It’s the siren song of a second career, the promise of a peaceful existence, that pulls them away.

SMITH:
(pacing)
But it’s not just about the personnel, it's the intellectual void they leave behind. The military’s strategic acumen... traded for quarterly profit forecasts.

CONNOR:
(leaning back)
Oh, it's a modern-day exodus, Smith. The cream of the crop, once destined to safeguard the Promised Land, now dreams of Silicon Wadis. The old guard, they were warriors... now, they're reluctant scholars, clutching diplomas as if they were shields against the harsh reality of the battlefield.

SMITH:
(looking out the window)
The casualty aversion... It's not just a tactical shift. It’s a societal one. The warriors of yore, they'd lay down their lives for a patch of desert. Now, it's about minimizing loss, maximizing gain... a meticulous calculus of blood and treasure.

CONNOR:
(nodding)
Aye, it’s the first rule of their post-heroic warfare, Smith. One is not “allowed” to get killed. It’s a cold, hard assessment of what's at stake, what's to gain. The vital interests have dwindled, the stakes lowered. The battlefield has become a cold, heartless abacus of risk and reward.

SMITH:
(sighs)
The enemy’s the same, but the heroes... they’ve changed, haven’t they?

CONNOR:
(chuckles)
In this land of ancient valor, the heroes now wear suits and ties, Smith. They wield contracts, not swords. They storm boardrooms, not beaches. The spirit of King David, it’s traded in for a share of the startup nation.

SMITH:
(sardonic)
An IPO instead of an IDF commission... What's the world coming to, Connor?

CONNOR:
(smiling)
To a reality where survival's not just about facing the enemy on the battleground, but outsmarting them in the market, in the lab, in the digital realm. The warrior's ethos... it’s evolving, Smith, right along with the threats they face.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

is cuckbollah gonna do anything. What is their raison d’etre other than to fight in this exact situation?

To be something Iran can threaten Israel with as part of its strategic deterrence.

Ultimately, Iran probably doesn't care that much about the plight of the Palestinians and would rather not expend the force they have been building on this. But lol & lmao if they can't recognize an opportunity when they see one and call the west's bluff.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

what in tarnation

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I wonder if genocidin bidens state department is keeping track of how many Palestinian Americans that Israel is murdering

Maybe he'll tweet that islamophobia is bad or something

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

DiscountDildos posted:

Disgusting.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkJzQXWxYn8

Resistance News Network posted:

🔴 Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine:

Gaza defends and fights with its flesh and blood, and the flag will not fall.

The enemy's decision to cut off all communications and internet services to the Gaza Strip, following its threats of committing more genocidal crimes and escalating brutal bombing, is an attempt by the enemy to silence the voice of Gaza, to hide images of its crimes and defeats, and to use shock to spread fear among the steadfast residents of Gaza.

What the Popular Front fears and warns against are the ongoing brutal crimes by the enemy's army and air force against defenseless women, elderly, and children, especially given the enemy's escalation of its aerial, naval, and ground bombardment.

Any enemy ground incursion attempts, no matter their form or size, will only be met with increased resistance, and the enemy will face surprises prepared by our people's resistance that they are unaware of. Our people should be confident of the readiness and capability of the resistance.

The Front warns against exploiting the communication blackout in Gaza to spread rumors and circulate the enemy's lies, urging our people and Palestinian journalists to make their best efforts to convey the truth to the masses using any available means.

The Front calls on Palestinian companies and entities to urgently find solutions that enable the residents of Gaza to access communications, warning against any negligence in this regard, especially since these communications are essential for residents to access emergency and ambulance services.

The Front also calls for an escalation of Arab popular and official efforts to stop the aggression, emphasizing the necessity of working on bringing aid, volunteers, and international delegations to the Strip to relieve its people and wounded, and to reveal the scale of the zionist crimes committed in the Strip.

Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
27th October 2023
Central Media Department.
(from t.me/PalestineResist/16949, via tgsa)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

lol like who will ever work for the UN again?!

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ok has infected mushroom had a take of this? I need to know if I have to remove them from itunes

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

blessed

lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Israel's Death Hierarchy: Casualty Aversion in a Militarized Democracy

DarkSithLord posted:

This book is the perfect embodiment of Israel simultaneously being an evil genocidal nazi country and the gayest most soy place on earth

Whose life is worth more? That is the question that states inevitably face during wartime. Which troops are thrown to the first lines of battle and which ones remain relatively intact? How can various categories of civilian populations be protected? And when front and rear are porous, whose life should receive priority, those of soldiers or those of civilians? This book uses Israel as a compelling case study to explore the global dynamics and security implications of casualty sensitivity. Israel, the book argues, originally chose to risk soldiers mobilized from privileged classes, more than civilians and other soldiers. However, with the mounting of casualty sensitivity, the state gradually restructured what the book calls its “death hierarchy” to favor privileged soldiers over soldiers drawn from lower classes and civilians, and later to place enemy civilians at the bottom of the hierarchy by the use of heavy firepower. The state thus shifted risk from soldiers to civilians. As the Gaza offensive of 2009 demonstrates, this new death hierarchy has opened Israel to global criticism.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

GoLambo posted:

What are they going to do in the pause, collect the bodies before it starts over again? Call the ref? It's a loving war, it didn't happen on accident.

golambo 👀

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Scarabrae posted:

ok has infected mushroom had a take of this? I need to know if I have to remove them from itunes

https://twitter.com/infected/status/1717461663727632780
https://twitter.com/infected/status/1716122239257510058

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

:whitewater:

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

I always had conflicting feelings for these guys, but this settles it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bouillon Rube posted:

Has Iran made any indication that they want to have anything to do with this? Everything that I’ve seen points to the west trying to drag Iran into this nightmare but they don’t seem to be biting

channel has been posted itt before and i found this interesting, a recent discussion on the point in question. waning american hegemony is in flailing panic mode and sees a long term campaign against iran as the most viable remaining route to maintain unipolarity over and encirclement of china and russia, ie a fractured eurasia. a brookings institute paper available from 2009 anticipates many of the actions western hegemony has undertaken and continues to pursue in the region to this day, and the methods are congruent with similar theaters in taiwan, syria, 'east turkistan', ukraine, and other neo-colonial separatist projects the empire supports or creates. a lot of it is, i assume, further fueled by longstanding american institutional grudges toward former clients and a race to secure extraction of natural resources literally everywhere in the face of rapidly accelerating climate change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOVUb7cnkus

tldr, america one of the largest dumb bitch murder engines of all time rip big hamburger country

Anyways, the horrors of the hegemony's conduct in Gaza will forever evoke memories of and comparisons to Dresden, Hiroshima, etc for all time. May Palestine's children live to see the end of zionist apartheid.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
free paul soccer 12... or was it 13

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
dtedm

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Scarabrae posted:

The IOF listened to them to get hyped for genocide
https://twitter.com/HadiNasrallah/status/1716427557719949660

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DiscountDildos posted:

I wonder how many kickbacks she gets from lockheed and general dynamics

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

oh is that what those guys were listening to? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
something about seeing a strobing/flash seizure warning on footage of al jazeera's stream