Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mareep posted:

Looking for:

- audiobook!
- sci-fi/fantasy
- “page turner”
- actual good books preferred but fun trash also welcome

Lately having a really engaging audiobook on has been incredible for getting work done. I’m going to be working outside for the rest of this week and need some audiobook recommendations! What I’ve listened to lately -

- Jurassic Park
- The Lost World (DNF, got bored of this one)
- Sphere
- Translation State by Ann Leckie

Rereading Jurassic Park got me on a real Crichton kick but by the time I got through Sphere I felt like I’d gotten my fun out of it.

Books I like

- Ann leckie’s imperial radch
- tamsyn Muir’s locked tomb series (audiobooks on this tier would be amazing)
- Jeff vandermeer’s southern reach trilogy
- Robin hobb’s fool books
- Hugh howie’s silo series

Almost anything fiction with a reasonably fast-paced story and hopefully good narrator should work!

Tchaikovsky’s Children of Time and Shards of Earth (some Becky Chambers stuff done well in SoE, imo) serieses fit the bill and are my standard page turning sci fi recs.

Have you read The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu? That series is like a steampunk fantasy epic with silk and bamboo instead of brass and coal. Silkpunk is the term I guess! The whole quadrilogy is just an excellent series of epic fantasy novels for grownups.

Personally, I haven’t been able to put down these public domain sci fi books:

The meh:
Dracula
The Isle of Dr. Moreau
Journey to the Center of the Earth

The good:
Around the World in 80 Days
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Master and Margarita
Frankenstein
The Death of Ivan Ilyich
The Metamorphosis

All of these old books have been available as Librivox recordings, sometimes very professionally done! I just search my podcast app for the title and pick a couple to see if the quality is any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Memoirs of life in Gaza, anyone? Or the West Bank but preferably Gazan writers.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Enders Game

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Murderbot novellas are good, and they are free if you’ve got Audible Plus or whatever the subscription service is. They’re short(3hrs or so) though, so the price/length ratio isn’t that favorable if you have to buy them.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Fiction set in South Asia. Just read Amitav Ghosh's Sea of Poppies trilogy and I want more. Probably any genre, but less depressing is better.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

Fiction set in South Asia. Just read Amitav Ghosh's Sea of Poppies trilogy and I want more. Probably any genre, but less depressing is better.

More Southeast Asian but…

Ken Liu’s stuff that I just mentioned.

Kusamakura is funny and kind of bittersweet

It’s Kim Stanley Robinson but The Years of Rice and Salt is one of his best works, imo. Caveat that it’s a white American writing an alternate history mostly taking place in SE Asia and North Africa.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Midnight’s Children can hardly be avoided when considering South Asia. It’s really good. If you want genre, River of Gods by Ian McDonald is a different take on sprawling, set in India on the brink of an explosion. It’s interesting how McDonald wrote it in 2000 and decided on the three main themes to be AI, non-binary people and climate change.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Chas McGill posted:

Sci-fi? The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi is very good.

quote:

The Windup Girl is set in 23rd-century Thailand. Global warming has raised the levels of world's oceans, carbon fuel sources have become depleted, and manually wound springs are used as energy storage devices. Biotechnology is dominant and megacorporations (called calorie companies) like AgriGen, PurCal and RedStar control food production through 'genehacked' seeds, and use bioterrorism, private armies and economic hitmen to create markets for their products. Frequent catastrophes, such as deadly and widespread plagues and illness, caused by genetically modified crops and mutant pests, ravage entire populations. The natural genetic seed stock of the world's plants has been almost completely supplanted by those that are genetically engineered to be sterile, forcing farmers to buy new seeds from the calorie companies every season.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

I'm a big fan of Vikram Seth

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks, I've picked up Midnight's Children (which I somehow haven't read) and A Suitable Boy.

In the same vein, I just finished Chinaman by Shehan Karunatilaka. I have no interest in cricket and very little knowledge of Sri Lankan politics, so it was simultaneously entertaining and confusing. It aims to be a book even the cricket-ignorant can enjoy, which is true while also feeling like a lot of the richness is lost without knowledge. The writing and sense of place is good, but the unreliable narrator is tough to like at times. He's an alcoholic, dirty old uncle with some 'of his time' views on women etc.

So, I guess it's a qualified recommendation for anyone else looking for some fiction from that part of the world. It seems essential if you also like cricket.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 16, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

tuyop posted:

It’s Kim Stanley Robinson but The Years of Rice and Salt is one of his best works, imo. Caveat that it’s a white American writing an alternate history mostly taking place in SE Asia and North Africa.
ill add that this was a huge caveat for me to the point I found it obnoxious and stopped reading around when the samurai goes to america and meets with the Kusamakura, it was getting pretty corny but it's a bummer because before that i found it incredibly compelling, I just preferred all the interesting cycles of reincarnation and the first few "books"

Any top tier (no mids) historical fiction for someone who loves (and has read basically all of) Mary Renault (my absolute fave), Alfred Duggan, Gore Vidal, Robert Graves...so all dead people :(
Pressfields and Shaaras need not apply. I loved them as a teen but I'm trying to find some poo poo whose prose shines rather than just like "hey not bad!". Maybe I've already gotten to those people.
I've already got Colleen McCullough/John Williams/Mika Waltari/Kristin Lavransdatter on the general to-do list, just haven't tried any of their stuff yet. lmk if you think any of them kinda fit that level and i'll just start on one of theirs. Maybe it's time to finally read A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening or Sudden Death.
I've already read Manda Scott's Boudica series btw (not that I'd say it necessarily really fits the sort of quality of writing I'm looking for). Fun and epic even though it loses steam. Read The Moor's Account (pretty good). Also pretty sure I've read every Calvino and Eco that applies.
Already familiar with Patrick O'Brian. Maybe there ain't nothing left.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Frans G. Bengtsson's The Long Ships is unimpeachable
For ultra literary, Hermann Broch's The Death of Virgil
James Ellroy basically writes historical fiction from American Tabloid onwards if the 30s to 60s aren't too recent for you

Going to dip into George RR Martin's recs (He's got pretty good taste no matter what else you can say about him)
Martin Druon's The Accursed King series
People here love Howard Pyle even if his stuff is for children
Frank Yerby
Rosemary Hawley Jarman
Sharon Kay Penman

Edit: Maybe Dorothy Dunnet?

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 18, 2023

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
Seconding The Long Ships.

John Williams' Augustus is very good (I assume that's the Williams novel you had in mind) and will be well-received by someone who liked Renault. In the same vein, try Memoirs of Hadrian by Yourcenar.

You don't mention Mantel's Wolf Hall trilogy -- I've only read the first one, but it was very good.

Colleen McCullough, in my opinion, is a step below some of the other authors listed but is still good. Penman writes interesting, evocative fiction without much bodice ripping, but not super literary.

A little out of the time period of the others, but Le Carre's best novels are absolutely fantastic. Try The Spy Who Came in from the Cold first, and if you like it, work forward in publication order from there. They are definitively not airport-quality spy fiction. In my opinion, they are as much superior to normal spy novels as the Aubrey/Maturin books are superior to normal adventure novels.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

What are some good reads, preferably with audiobook version, about the east coast Italian mob during their peak? I'm going through Five Families by Raab and want more

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Spaced God posted:

What are some good reads, preferably with audiobook version, about the east coast Italian mob during their peak? I'm going through Five Families by Raab and want more
I don't know if there's an audiobook, but Gotti: Rise and Fall by Jerry Capeci and Gene Mustain is a very readable and very well researched look at the Gambino family during the 70s and 80s.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

ill add that this was a huge caveat for me to the point I found it obnoxious and stopped reading around when the samurai goes to america and meets with the Kusamakura, it was getting pretty corny but it's a bummer because before that i found it incredibly compelling, I just preferred all the interesting cycles of reincarnation and the first few "books"

Any top tier (no mids) historical fiction for someone who loves (and has read basically all of) Mary Renault (my absolute fave), Alfred Duggan, Gore Vidal, Robert Graves...so all dead people :(
Pressfields and Shaaras need not apply. I loved them as a teen but I'm trying to find some poo poo whose prose shines rather than just like "hey not bad!". Maybe I've already gotten to those people.
I've already got Colleen McCullough/John Williams/Mika Waltari/Kristin Lavransdatter on the general to-do list, just haven't tried any of their stuff yet. lmk if you think any of them kinda fit that level and i'll just start on one of theirs. Maybe it's time to finally read A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening or Sudden Death.
I've already read Manda Scott's Boudica series btw (not that I'd say it necessarily really fits the sort of quality of writing I'm looking for). Fun and epic even though it loses steam. Read The Moor's Account (pretty good). Also pretty sure I've read every Calvino and Eco that applies.

Baudolini by Umberto Eco is very good. Cool mix of medieval history, including north Italian city state wars, Barbarossa’s crusade through Constantinople and into Turkey and an interesting take on Prester John and some other medieval myths.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just got back from a trip to England and realized how ignorant I am of their history. For example, I vaguely know about the wives of Henry the Sixth (but it might be Henry the Eighth?) but I had no idea there was an entire civil war in the 17th century.

So, recommendations for a well written, engaging book that does a survey of at least 1066 through to the 20th Century? Ideally on Kindle. Thanks!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Only need a book on people involved in this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erfurt_latrine_disaster

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ur-fart

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
should've mentioned I'd read Baudolino and The Long Ships, both faves of mine (love the poet-warriors of the latter, very Romance of the Three Kingdoms)

some really great recommendations here though yall, I appreciate it. Gonna push Wolf Hall and Augustus to the front too (both of which I had on my Kindle but I just wasn't super sure whether they were worth starting).

I love James Ellroy yeah, read all his L.A. fiction, just never started up his Underworld USA series, guess I really should.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Peter Ackroyd and Simon Schama both write serviceable multipart histories of England.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I kinda hate Simon Schama but he does write in great detail.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

regulargonzalez posted:

Just got back from a trip to England and realized how ignorant I am of their history. For example, I vaguely know about the wives of Henry the Sixth (but it might be Henry the Eighth?) but I had no idea there was an entire civil war in the 17th century.

So, recommendations for a well written, engaging book that does a survey of at least 1066 through to the 20th Century? Ideally on Kindle. Thanks!

The English and their History by
Robert Tombs

Goodreads check some of the reviews, see if it's your speed

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Leraika posted:

Any of Ursula le Guin's sci-fi books (particularly Lathe of Heaven, Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed, and Always Coming Home) are a great read.

Thank you for this. Just finished Lathe of Heaven and I think I'm temporarily insane.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I was served the worst plate of spare ribs in my life in Erfurt, likely the cause of the intestinal distress. Seriously fried dry and welded to the bone--you had to whittle the meat away with a knife or your teeth. Was really weird because I otherwise thought German pork dishes were amazing

VelociBacon posted:

Thank you for this. Just finished Lathe of Heaven and I think I'm temporarily insane.

Careful what you dream!

Thinking next BotM will be Rocannon's World, just FYI

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

VelociBacon posted:

Now you should check out Dick's Ubik or A Scanner Darkly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Enlatrination of Erfurt, or the Bal des Merdents.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When it collapsed I assume for the survivors it must have been the loudest sound they heard outside of lightning.
It must have been traumatic to all

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I haven't read them since I was too young to really differentiate prose quality, but maybe James Michener or Edward Rutherfurd?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
My mom's favorite book ever is The Cabinet of Curiosities, 2002. No relation, near as I know, to the del Toro series. Knowing that she's read all of the Preston/Child collabs, do you all have recommendations? I reckon she likes spooky thrillers with subtler supernatural elements.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Any novels or short stories that express the power and joy of music?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FPyat posted:

Sarah Pinsker’s A Song for a New Day is about the joy of live music told through a critique of the music industry and gig economy in the near future.

Lots of people like this book, it won the nebula, but I didn’t really get into it. A bit too YA for my tastes and I also don’t like live music, especially not the kind in the book.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

FPyat posted:

Popular Hits of the Showa Era

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FPyat posted:

Light from Uncommon Stars has that as a big theme. It's definitely a very scifi/magical realism book, so I really enjoyed it, but it's not a grounded and realistic thing if that's what you're after.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FPyat posted:

Catherynne M. Valente's Space Opera comes to mind.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Popular Hits of the Showa Era
Seconding this. Just a general recommendation too. My favorite Ryu Murakami I think.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FPyat posted:

Vikram Seth's An Equal Music

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Light from Uncommon Stars has that as a big theme. It's definitely a very scifi/magical realism book, so I really enjoyed it, but it's not a grounded and realistic thing if that's what you're after.

Selachian posted:

Catherynne M. Valente's Space Opera comes to mind.

These are the two that spring to mind, but yeah, not grounded and realistic for either

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Kvlt! posted:

read it its literally everything you want and is excellent

His Black Tongue is a good short story collection
Picked up from this thread and am enjoying this. Original topic was medieval European horror, besides Between Two Fires another can’t miss is The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart Paperback by Jesse Bullington, or anything else by the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a good single volume history of Israel, or failing that just the founding/early years of Israel? Preferably one that acknowledges the humanity of Palestinians, no Exodus-style blowjobs