Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://x.com/WSJ_manga/status/1717837043059892509?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shaman King Flowers is getting an anime adaptation in January:

Not entirely sure how that’s going to work though since to my knowledge the manga was never finished

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Larryb posted:

Shaman King Flowers is getting an anime adaptation in January:

Not entirely sure how that’s going to work though since to my knowledge the manga was never finished

Flowers and Superstar are the same manga p much.

It was during the changeover when Takei got rights to Shaman King his back from Shueisha and put it in a different magazine with Kodansha.that he renamed it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Flowers and Superstar are the same manga p much.

It was during the changeover when Takei got rights to Shaman King his back from Shueisha and put it in a different magazine with Kodansha.that he renamed it

Ah I see, did Superstar get an ending then?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Ah I see, did Superstar get an ending then?

No :) still ongoing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

Huh, neat. I figured that one stopped years ago

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That’s a pleasant and welcome surprise.

Anyone still reading Shojo null? It’s honestly going into comedy at this point.

Meanwhile Demonlord exchange is still going strong. I assume the new guy was part of the hero party or something

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Darth TNT posted:

I dropped it after the black market, the art style sucks (personal opinion) and its not good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Shoujo Null: Is consistently so edgy it's dumb and wavering between being so dumb it's amusing and so dumb it's actually just bad and boring.

Demon Lord Exchange!!:
I like that unlike almost every similar Hero story, this one addresses that our group is just one Hero party out of many. And I agree, the new priest dude is absolutely a former Hero party member, which is probably also why he was imprisoned in the first place.

Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!: For how much I was roasting it for it's art-style, I ended being really into it, lol. And with this chapter, it looks like the story will be some kind of reverse Madoka, where our heroine will pull Magical Girls out of Witches Notions.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!: For how much I was roasting it for it's art-style, I ended being really into it, lol. And with this chapter, it looks like the story will be some kind of reverse Madoka, where our heroine will pull Magical Girls out of Witches Notions.

I liked it in PPPPP but the style really fits this manga much better. Combined with the writing it has a really dreamlike vibe I'm digging a lot.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, the art-style fits "Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!" in a way it never fit PPPPPP. It does a lot to carry the super weird vibe the series has going on and is a legitimate strength here. The author very obviously thought about what kind of story can fit his art-style and went for it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I never read PP but I adore whatever the hell is going on with Tsubame

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Where is Tsubame translated? I don't see it on the Shonen Jump app.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's on MangaPlus

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's on https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/updates

Maybe other places I dunno.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Julias posted:

No scans since 2020 too :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shaman king and endings are mutually exclusive.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did he become the king of the shamans yet?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the villain did?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

A Sometimes Food posted:

I liked it in PPPPP but the style really fits this manga much better. Combined with the writing it has a really dreamlike vibe I'm digging a lot.

Yeah I'm 100% on board with Tsubame. Wasn't sure at first but I'm hooked. Also impressed that chaps 2 and 3 were each 30+ pages despite being weekly, hope the mangaka isn't totally burning themselves out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Clarste posted:

I think the villain did?

Yup, and then said villain got yelled at by his mom at the end and gave up on his initial plans for the world (I’m serious)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I respect Shaman King's commitment to "No really, the villain is actually unbeatable" and no amount of shonen powerups could change that.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Shoujo Null: Is consistently so edgy it's dumb and wavering between being so dumb it's amusing and so dumb it's actually just bad and boring.

Yeah, it's almost impressive how it's settled into just being bad now. The formula just seems to be "happy-go-lucky kid stumbles into atrocity, gets mad and kills the people responsible, rinse, repeat." It's not interesting by any stretch.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I'm 100% on board with Tsubame. Wasn't sure at first but I'm hooked. Also impressed that chaps 2 and 3 were each 30+ pages despite being weekly, hope the mangaka isn't totally burning themselves out.

Same, I'm also enjoying it. Hopefully they did most of this between the end of PPPPPP and the series's launch, and that they have a buffer built up

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alacron posted:

I respect Shaman King's commitment to "No really, the villain is actually unbeatable" and no amount of shonen powerups could change that.

Mind spoilering how it deals with that? Do the heroes just lose and that's that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mind spoilering how it deals with that? Do the heroes just lose and that's that?

I basically just said it a few posts ago. Hao’s mom (who’s some kind of deity I believe) shows up and convinces him to stop, he remains the titular Shaman King and the main characters return to their normal lives

I might be forgetting some details but that’s basically the extent of it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 28, 2023

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah what LarryB said. It's kind of like Amazo in the Justice League cartoon, he was too powerful to be stopped by force so you had to talk him down.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

I basically just said it a few posts ago. Hao’s mom (who’s some kind of deity I believe) shows up and convinces him to stop, he remains the titular Shaman King and the main characters return to their normal lives

I want to point out that the final battle is actually very funny because It's basically a bunch of kids on a playground arguing over whose laser penetrates whose forcefields. Except it's more about summoning natural phenomenon and everyone is just bullshitting at that point. And then the power of friendship let the rest of the cast show up, like actually every single character we've met up to this point and it's the dumbest thing ever but it does make me smile.

I'm pretty raw on late shaman king as a whole and the spin-offs. But I still think the epilogue chapters dealing with how the cast move forward are really good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Whoops wasn't following the conversation at all thank you!

Alacron posted:

Yeah what LarryB said. It's kind of like Amazo in the Justice League cartoon, he was too powerful to be stopped by force so you had to talk him down.

you too!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sindai posted:

Did he become the king of the shamans yet?
Like the other said Yoh totally lost, Hao became Shaman King but was convinced to not annihilate humanity. Some years later the previous Shaman Kings tried to impeach Hao and organized a proxy tournament to see who'd (re)take the spot and Hao assigned Yoh's son as his representative, which is the primary plot of Flowers/Super Star.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Darth TNT posted:

Are we reading the same manga? The manga has kept to its same tone of mixing between lighthearted and gloomy situation and aesthetics, and I have not laughed yet. Latest chapter just ended with a large pile of corpses again.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So in other news, I've finally finished reading all 400 chapters of Hunter X Hunter and I have some complex feelings on it. When I was partway through I was totally ready to go across the internet shouting "HUNTER X HUNTER loving SUCKS AND YOU'RE ALL FOOLS FOR LIKING IT!!!" But ultimately, I can see the reasons why people would like it even if it's not for me.

Togashi seems to have a real complexity addiction that I do not vibe with. Everything is rules upon rules, exceptions to rules, hidden rules that we didn't tell you about, those rules are actually a lie these are the real rules etc etc etc. And Togashi needs to explain all these rules to you in meticulous detail. And just, I don't need so many words to appreciate Hisoka using a human head as a flail, I think the drawings convey it pretty well.

I get the feeling that Togashi would much rather be writing about his villains than his protagonist. For ostensibly being the main character, Gon is just such a non-factor for so much of this manga that I find it hard to care much about him. But we then spend so much time with the villains, learning their histories, their morals, their wants, and basically just everything about them. And I kinda... don't care? Cell Meruem going from heartless genocidal creature to kinda sorta having a conscience because he fell in love with a blind boardgame player is cool in concept, but I never really connected with it emotionally.

Not connecting with it emotionally is kind of consistent problem that I have with this manga. It's a page turner to be sure, I frequently lost track of time while reading because I wanted to see where things were gonna lead, but I rarely laughed, I never cried, I rarely even felt anything besides curiosity. That's not nothing, by all means it's a compelling reason to keep reading, but it's generally not what I come to comics for.

Incidentally, I genuinely feel really bad for HxH fans. This manga feels like it wanted to be this 1000+ chapter epic, with so much worldbuilding and buildup and foreshadowing and I think it's never going to get paid off thanks to Togashi's health issues. I think I'm going to die of old age before we ever figure what Gyro's deal is.

Some other stream of consciousness thoughts before I try and sleep off this migraine:
- The Hunter's Exam is a genuinely strong opening, and personally I think it's the my favorite part of the manga. It's got the right amount of complexity and rules bullshit without going off the deepend.

- Greed Island is easily the worst arc with the worst villains. Bomberguy was very boring and he looked like Egon from The Real Ghostbusters, and I can't remember anything about his partners.

- Leorio is too good of a character to be wasted like he is. He had one great moment in the election arc and has gotten like, a single panel since then.

- It's incredible to me how little Gon has had to do with his own manga for the past, what, 10 years?

- Pariston and Ging may be assholes, but they're right to not want to dress up in stupid zodiac costumes.

- From the Chimera Ant arc onwards, I kept thinking of that one scene from Mystery Men
"I knew you'd know I'd know you knew"
"But I didn't, I only knew that you'd know that I knew."

- Finally, holy gently caress does this manga have a ton of :words:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Leorio is the greatest example of audience insert in the history of man, and if that one panel was his only appearance in all of HxH he would still be considered an all time character. Man nearly rode to the top of the entire Hunter organization on the pure rizz of going "gently caress Gin!" and punching a bitch in the face.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gon met a bunch of people who knew gin and they all praised him. it turned out that they were just being nice and pretty much everyone gin has ever met hates his guts. this now includes gon.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
He's like House in that everybody respects him being like the best at his profession, but nobody can stand to actually be around him for more than five minutes because of how terrible a person he is.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Flair posted:

Are we reading the same manga? The manga has kept to its same tone of mixing between lighthearted and gloomy situation and aesthetics, and I have not laughed yet. Latest chapter just ended with a large pile of corpses again.

Exactly. Again. It’s basically what Shinji said:

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's almost impressive how it's settled into just being bad now. The formula just seems to be "happy-go-lucky kid stumbles into atrocity, gets mad and kills the people responsible, rinse, repeat." It's not interesting by any stretch.

It’s honestly comical at this point. It could actually be used to say something regarding consumerism or whatever, but we all know this warehouse is full of robot corpses and they’re there because some extremely lovely humans are being lovely again just cause.

I still read it because I actually like the downtime moments quite a lot. They make a cute pair and I want to see how low we humans can go.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Alacron posted:

- It's incredible to me how little Gon has had to do with his own manga for the past, what, 10 years?

I guess it’s subjective, but I never really saw Hunter X Hunter as “Gon’s” manga the same way, say, Yuyu Hakasho is Yusuke’s manga, My Hero Academia is Deku’s manga, or how One Piece is Luffy, and by extension the Straw Hat’s adventure. He’s basically just the focal character for a lot of it, and really he shares that spot with Killua.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alacron posted:

So in other news, I've finally finished reading all 400 chapters of Hunter X Hunter and I have some complex feelings on it. When I was partway through I was totally ready
- Greed Island is easily the worst arc with the worst villains. Bomberguy was very boring and he looked like Egon from The Real Ghostbusters, and I can't remember anything about his partners.
As someone that really likes Greed Island; the arc is a glorified training arc and the real final battle has always been the dodgeball match where all the skills Gon and Killua have learned are actually put to the test. Genthru is there really to have a more concrete villain but by design he's just a background character that was hiding his power level until the time was right. He's fun but never meant to be deeper than that.

quote:

I get the feeling that Togashi would much rather be writing about his villains than his protagonist. For ostensibly being the main character, Gon is just such a non-factor for so much of this manga that I find it hard to care much about him. But we then spend so much time with the villains, learning their histories, their morals, their wants, and basically just everything about them. And I kinda... don't care? Cell Meruem going from heartless genocidal creature to kinda sorta having a conscience because he fell in love with a blind boardgame player is cool in concept, but I never really connected with it emotionally.
This one I disagree to a degree. Gon's story is the driving force for where we go and his character arc is one exploring his twisted morality all while he interacts with everyone else and his pursuit to find his father. However as a product of Togashi's writing, and made evident during the York Shin arc and subsequent arcs, is that his world doesn't revolve around Gon and never has. He himself has also been pulled along into the current of other plots once he enters a new arc. York Shin became a powder keg as a war was sparked between the Phantom Troupe, the Mafia, Kurapika, and the rest caught in it trying to survive while Gon just showed up there to buy a video game. Greed Island saw Gon and Killua enter the game at a time when major players were making their bid for winning the game and being caught flat footed by new rules and his own inexperience with nen. And the Chimera Ants arc is an alien invasion story Gon and Killua happened to walk into at the right time to be dragged into a literal suicide mission to "save" humanity with some of my favorite characters in the story (Morel, Knuckles, Shoot). And in all of these arcs Gon is out of his depth, he's never the strongest character around and loses a surprising number of times across the series. Maybe this is where your point about him being a non-factor comes? That unlike say Luffy from One Piece where the story keeps layering on messiah traits to him and tying other world events back to him, Gon is just some gifted Kid the story is capable of leaving behind.

As for Togashi's villains; I don't think he does much different from his contemporaries when it comes to fleshing out his major antagonists. It does feel like it hits differently in some cases like with Chrollo and Meruem though but Togashi was doing this in YYH for characters like Sensui and Toguro. I would agree that at some points I don't really care that much for Meruem's conflict of humanity but overall I do get drawn into his plot with Komugi. Togashi loves him an exploration of humanity and that was on full display the CA arc so Meruem winds up being a nice case study and somewhat tragic in the end if only because the potential for good was there but his own nature was incompatible with the world at the start and nothing could have changed that.

quote:

- Leorio is too good of a character to be wasted like he is. He had one great moment in the election arc and has gotten like, a single panel since then.
That is a general complaint a lot of people have, myself included. The story starts out an ensemble but unlike other shonen where you could expect the main group to stick together, Togashi doesn't do that since Leorio and Kurapika have their own things going on. It's just unfortunate that Leorio didn't have his own compelling plotline like Kurapika's feud with the Phantom Troupe to get him more attention. Nor the skills to pull off what Kurapika is doing in this current arc because the dude just went to college after he walked off. I wish he had more to offer.

quote:

- Pariston and Ging may be assholes, but they're right to not want to dress up in stupid zodiac costumes.
It's why I think he likes Kanzai (Tiger) so much, he's one of the least goofy looking of the Zodiacs along with the Sheep guy, and basically is just an angry delinquent with sharp teeth.

quote:

- From the Chimera Ant arc onwards, I kept thinking of that one scene from Mystery Men
"I knew you'd know I'd know you knew"
"But I didn't, I only knew that you'd know that I knew."

- Finally, holy gently caress does this manga have a ton of :words:
Yeah, the election arc and succession war have cranked up the number of words Togashi uses and the number of rules at play. I love it personally although I cared less for Pariston and Ging's feud and mind games compared to the succession war which really lets us readers play along with the characters. I love guessing how things will work out and who is allied with whom or what interaction of powers will result in the next outcome.

All in all just glad you were willing to give the series a fair shake even if it ultimately isn't for you.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Alacron posted:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Setting aside what my feelings might have been when I read the first ~18 volumes twenty years ago and then set it down for reasons I forget, when I got around to the 2011 anime a few years ago I was struck by how much I bristled against and in general disliked Gon as a character. He felt almost incongruous with the type of setting established in HxH and I certainly found myself with far less patience for that type of plucky overly optimistic shounen kid protagonist than I would have in the past. However Chimera Ant I feel retroactively snaps a lot of his character into focus in a way that makes a lot of his actions in the past make far more sense and feel more at place in a brutal setting like HxH's world. Doesn't hurt either that he and Killua basically cleanly exited the manga in a way that felt satisfying enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nate RFB posted:

Setting aside what my feelings might have been when I read the first ~18 volumes twenty years ago and then set it down for reasons I forget, when I got around to the 2011 anime a few years ago I was struck by how much I bristled against and in general disliked Gon as a character. He felt almost incongruous with the type of setting established in HxH and I certainly found myself with far less patience for that type of plucky overly optimistic shounen kid protagonist than I would have in the past. However Chimera Ant I feel retroactively snaps a lot of his character into focus in a way that makes a lot of his actions in the past make far more sense and feel more at place in a brutal setting like HxH's world. Doesn't hurt either that he and Killua basically cleanly exited the manga in a way that felt satisfying enough.
I feel like this was pretty clear by Gon's final test in the Hunter's exam. Gon always seemed like a crazy person to me and Killua was much more relatable even when he still had his sadistic streak.