Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The latter seems unlikely, seeing how whiny Israeli hawks keep being about it. The Biden admin has a surprisingly strong record in backroom talks, foreign and domestic... but there's only so far that can go with Israel if they're really dedicated to the ethnic cleansing etc.

This makes it sound like america is a client state to Israel. Can’t be much of a strong record if they’re letting israel go unleashed in a genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-10-27-23/index.html

quote:

Izzat al-Rishq, a senior member of the Hamas political bureau, said Friday that Hamas is ready to defeat Israeli forces if they enter the Gaza Strip.

"If Netanyahu decides to enter [ground troops into] Gaza by land tonight, the resistance is ready," al-Rishq said.
His comments come after Israel announced it was expanding ground operations in the enclave.

Wishing hamas all the best against these cowards. They are severely out gunned but they are going up against an largely untrained conscript army that is not ready for urban warfare.

The US takes a real long time to train its marines in urban warfare settings and they still got dunked on hard in Iraq.

also from the same source

quote:

The United Nations approved a resolution that called for a ceasefire in the war between Israel and Hamas on Friday in the face of strident objection from the US and Israel.

A resolution was introduced by Jordan and passed the General Assembly overwhelmingly, with 120 countries voting in favor of the resolution, 14 against and 45 abstained. Applause broke out in the assembly hall when the positive vote count was displayed.

The resolution calls for an "immediate, durable and sustained humanitarian truce leading to a cessation of hostilities," as well as "immediate, full, sustained, safe and unhindered humanitarian access." It also asks Israel to rescind its recommendation to evacuate northern Gaza.

The resolution urges "the immediate and unconditional release of all civilians who are being illegally held captive," but does not name Hamas as the captor.

The US and Israel had denounced the motion, arguing that it did not include explicit criticism of Hamas. In debate around the resolution on Thursday, Israeli ambassador to the UN Gilad Erdan said calls for a ceasefire were “not an attempt for peace” but “an attempt to tie Israel’s hands, preventing us from eliminating a huge threat to our citizens.”

Earlier Friday, an amendment introduced by the Canadians and backed by the United States to include harsh language about Hamas in the resolution was rejected by the General Assembly.

The vote comes as the Israel Defense Forces announced earlier Friday it is "expanding ground operations" in the Gaza Strip and "operating forcefully" on all fronts to fulfill its goals in the war with Hamas.

Not entirely sure what all this means or what the consequences are for israel should they ignore this.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 27, 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The latter seems unlikely, seeing how whiny Israeli hawks keep being about it. The Biden admin has a surprisingly strong record in backroom talks, foreign and domestic... but there's only so far that can go with Israel if they're really dedicated to the ethnic cleansing etc.

yeah our hands are really tied here, not so tied that we cant give them billions of dollars in aid and deploy troops to prevent anything bad from happening to them but you get the idea

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Per the Washington Post, here is a snippet of the reporting of what Hamas was offering in exchange to free the hostages. Which if correct is extremely generous. I get the impression that a ceasefire is now not going to happen, because a lot of outlets are reporting that Israeli bombs and possible artillery have increased in Gaza significantly in the last few hours.

https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/1717991207664767060?s=20

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Per the Washington Post, here is a snippet of the reporting of what Hamas was offering in exchange to free the hostages. Which if correct is extremely generous. I get the impression that a ceasefire is now not going to happen, because a lot of outlets are reporting that Israeli bombs and possible artillery have increased in Gaza significantly in the last few hours.

https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/1717991207664767060?s=20

Important to note this is only civilian hostages, which, as far as I can tell, is only like 15-20 people? It's really not clear.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Isn’t a military “hostage” just a POW? Why don’t we use that language for them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

Important to note this is only civilian hostages, which, as far as I can tell, is only like 15-20 people? It's really not clear.

I mean that seems a perfectly reasonable exchange for 15-20 people even on just a cold hard logic viewpoint.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 5, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah our hands are really tied here, not so tied that we cant give them billions of dollars in aid and deploy troops to prevent anything bad from happening to them but you get the idea

I tried to be pretty grammatically clear there. If the US wants to actually constrain Israel, it'll havd to involve more than backroom talks and pressure. The value of those looks like it's reached its limit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mannerup posted:

it’s for foreign civilian hostages, Israeli civilian hostages will require swaps

edit: where are you getting this figure they only have 15-20 civilian hostages? I’ve never seen it before

i've only seen the same 15-20 names/pictures in any of the articles on this topic. if anyone has more info i'd love to see it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Google Jeb Bush posted:

us gov very much contains multiple camps on this issue but notably the leadership of agencies that are most relevant to how the us actually responds are die-hard unconditional israel supporters. additionally the iran hawk and pro-israel camps are basically a unified bloc at the moment

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Biden sent two carrier groups to back up Israel.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So we're up to 27 journalists killed in Gaza. The last few had bombs dropped directly on their houses.

https://twitter.com/pressfreedom/status/1717640815810359800

That number was 26 before I posted....

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Herstory Begins Now posted:

us gov very much contains multiple camps on this issue but notably the leadership of agencies that are most relevant to how the us actually responds are die-hard unconditional israel supporters. additionally the iran hawk and pro-israel camps are basically a unified bloc at the moment

I mean, yes, I think the US actually pushing Israel into settling down before they're good and ready (optimistically, tens of thousands dead and more swathes of Northern Gaza razed) is what you would call a low probability outcome. That's the thing I said in those two posts: it's about time to put up or shut up and it doesn't look like the US is going to put up.

BUUNNI posted:

Biden sent two carrier groups to back up Israel.

still trying to untangle how I feel about preventing a regional war if there would in fact have been one, tbh

the carriers aren't bombing Gaza

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Google Jeb Bush posted:

still trying to untangle how I feel about preventing a regional war if there would in fact have been one, tbh

because they’re making sure nobody else can stop the bombing of gaza. This is hair splitting that the international community and even voters don’t buy, come on

Edit: all the bombs being used in the bombing of gaza are American too. Its like a mob boss trying to get out of murder charges cause he let someone else do the hit

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://www.businessinsider.com/gay-israeli-soldier-says-he-will-to-fly-lgbtq-flag-on-tank-to-fight-hamas-2023-10?IR=T

remember when "some of our drone operators are nonbinary" was just a stupid meme?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mannerup posted:

that seems like a poor heuristic to estimate the amount of civilian hostages

Both Israel and Hamas publicly give numbers around ~200, which the WHO agrees with

That doesn't give the number of civilians. It's likely to be right that they're mostly civilians but Israel should know the actual number. It's the same problem with casualties of Hamas's attack - Israel hasn't been open about how many were civilians so people keep running with "1400 civilians" when we know a sizable number must've been IDF and cops.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol if this dumbass thinks his own government isnt coming after him sooner or later. With how extreme right their government is now, and constant new laws that take away rights of everyone in the country.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mannerup posted:

that seems like a poor heuristic to estimate the amount of civilian hostages

Both Israel and Hamas publicly give numbers around ~200, which the WHO agrees with

even that article is ambiguous though

quote:

The hostages are believed to be mostly civilians,.

probably true, but i'd love to see some actual numbers

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Google Jeb Bush posted:

They are there to ensure the destruction of Gaza can continue unabated.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is there a storm going on over Gaza right now? There's a lot of really bright white flashes on the Gaza live streams and they look a lot different than the bombs Israel is dropping on them.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Is there a storm going on over Gaza right now? There's a lot of really bright white flashes on the Gaza live streams and they look a lot different than the bombs Israel is dropping on them.

It's God signaling the end times are upon us

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
It's the secret hamas fuel depots

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mannerup posted:

the closest breakdown I’ve seen for October 7 is 808 civilians identified so far and more than 300 part of security forces, but I’m guessing it will take more time for any solid figure

I have no notion that the Israelis are telling the truth about how many people are killed. I’m sure innocents have been killed, and it’s the price of occupation

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The hamas weather control device is ready to be deployed

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mannerup posted:

can you clarify what you mean by "the price of occupation" when referring to civilians, including women and children, being killed?

He's being coy about what the US state department said (same words, but about Hamas and civillians.)

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Interesting take from a Democratic Senator: a ceasefire would not be helpful to the Palestinians living in Gaza.

https://twitter.com/ballesteros_312/status/1718019197366669344

Bombs away, then, I guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

He's being coy about what the US state department said (same words, but about Hamas and civillians.)

More specifically, Biden said that.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

edit: just deleting this, since i really didn't read things properly.

fatelvis fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 28, 2023

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mannerup posted:

ah, the "price of waging a war" comment. yeah minimizing or dismissing civilians casualties as just some inevitable by-product and not an active choice by the perpetrator of those atrocities is pretty hosed up.
agreed, and truly not how i feel

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Neurolimal posted:

In my personal opinion: Israel failed to realize that a large-scale Hamas attack, trained in advance for a year, where Hamas trained soldiers to use paragliders in broad daylight, was going to occur. Anyone who believes they actually have an extensive map of Hamas' underground tunnel & base network is looking for a reason to support the bombing.

This really does go back to the fact that people don't understand that Palestinians have actual government institutions.

You were stroking Israel's "security capibilities" dick yesterday because they operate a 2 million people prison. Running your mouth about them exporting it all over the world because they are so advanced!

And now "its impossible they know about tunnels they've been working on for 10 years!"

Make your mind up dude. Whatever fits your narrative I guess

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It's been funny (well, no, nothing loving funny about this) to see the thirst for brown muslamiac blood all over the 'West' flare up again, because not that long ago the reactionary/conservative axis was not so subtly making peace with aspects of Islam.

Andrew Tate and his chud army hyping it as a way to be a strong manly man, culture warriors praising how there's no woke LGBTQ or trans issue 'over there', and even the White house sweating blood to make sure all the Gulf monarchies finally make nice with Apartheid Israel so everyone can get back to keeping gas prices low and Shia populations contained. Liberals and conservatives even pretended to give a toss about Uyghurs!

But now it's back to "these beasts will slash your throat with a curved blade the moment you let your guard down" on one side and "Welp, I'll be looking the other way while the blood flows, too bad so sad" on the other of official business.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Viller posted:

You were stroking Israel's "security capibilities" dick yesterday because they operate a 2 million people prison. Running your mouth about them exporting it all over the world because they are so advanced!

And now "its impossible they know about tunnels they've been working on for 10 years!"

Make your mind up dude. Whatever fits your narrative I guess

Cops aren’t notorious for being discerning customers. They buy that fraud-rear end ShotSpotter thing still. The way that Israel treats Palestinians is a marketing program for them. Do you think cops care more about effectiveness than looking cool and having new toys to point at poor people? That’s a market that doesn’t punish functional failure.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It loving loving loving sucks how "Israel good, Palestine bad" has embedded itself as the mainstream normie political position where even a vast bulk of democrats and even celebrities that aren't right-wing cranks are pro-Israel. A genocide is happening and the people who care are being demonized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Viller posted:

Has Israel demonstrated any capability to assess where Hamas' underground infrastructure is located. So far we've about 14 dead "Hamas Officials", who can be anyone from a military commander to the accountant at a food bank. Many if not all of which died at their homes, not underground.

Also, I said that they were making money off of Palestinians. I didn't say that they were invincible.

You have hit on something though: for all their machismo, for all their propaganda about how Israel is an incredibly powerful security state capable of managing millions of underclass humans, for all the extolling of the tactical competency of the IDF, they're being embarrassed by an imprisoned city with an exponentially smaller economy, their far less sophisticated military equipment, and the proxy force of a proxy state. I wouldn't be surprised if, outside of bribed deals, the images of Hezbollah taking out Merkavas, blowing up radar towers, and Hamas breaching the wall, ends up having an impact on their security industries. It's clear that they do not in fact have a airtight seal on Gaza, which leaves the less impressive "We're good at administrating checkpoints in the region with the collaborator government" selling point.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 28, 2023