Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I am a little strict that people check my server and justwatch.com before making a request. Other than that, me and my users get along just fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

Yep lmao.

And maybe they're resellers? But it happens in every dang discussion about users on there and it just cracks me up how these people think their lovely webdls are in fact ambrosia, reserved only for those who Don't Wake Daddy.

I don't get it. I used to get requests by text or whatever, then I quickly relaized that was annoying and hit up google and found.....I forget which one, Ombi before it was ombi I guess (did that used to be called Plex Requests?). Sent a URL out to people and told them to do it themselves. Problem solved.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That Works posted:

I hate your friends and family too fwiw

I don't blame you. They're a bunch of jerks!

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Motronic posted:

I don't get it. I used to get requests by text or whatever, then I quickly relaized that was annoying and hit up google and found.....I forget which one, Ombi before it was ombi I guess (did that used to be called Plex Requests?). Sent a URL out to people and told them to do it themselves. Problem solved.

Even this cracks me up a little. Like drat dude, were your users really that demanding before? I set up Ombi as well but only because I know at least two people who are sort of shy and hate asking for things, and they really prefer being able to do it themselves. Others like to reach out and request something directly, it's a great excuse to chat and catch up (time permitting, yadda yadda).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

Even this cracks me up a little. Like drat dude, were your users really that demanding before? I set up Ombi as well but only because I know at least two people who are sort of shy and hate asking for things, and they really prefer being able to do it themselves. Others like to reach out and request something directly, it's a great excuse to chat and catch up (time permitting, yadda yadda).

Not sure why it "cracks you up", but the typical scenario is literally hanging out with someone and having them go "oh I forgot to ask you to get....." at some point and telling them to text me because I wouldn't remember. Self service was a more immediate and better option for everyone involved and I do not need to be a gatekeeper of stuff as an excuse or to be able to socialize.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

LRADIKAL posted:

I am a little strict that people check my server and justwatch.com before making a request. Other than that, me and my users get along just fine!

I just have Overseerr set up and let that handle requests

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

All these request things are too much for my family, granted my mom is over 70. I just have them text or email me.

For those using infuse, check out the TestFlight builds the Plex integration is much better.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

jisforjosh posted:

I just have Overseerr set up and let that handle requests

we do this too, it's great - ~10 households request management with no muss no fuss

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine that somebody willing to set up a dozen services for handing out content would set up another one so people could automatically request stuff.

It's probably more about the challenge of it than any actual need, in many cases.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Overseerr is The Way.

The only thing I don't do on my Plex server (yet) "because users" is 4K. I don't have a GPU and even beefy Xeons cry trying to transcode 4K, and most people never bother to change off the default resolution setting.

But instead of getting mad at them, I just sit here mildly annoyed that Plex hasn't created a feature to disable transcoding on a per-library basis, and enjoy all the empty diskspace in the meantime.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My only rules are no kids movies and nothing that's on Netflix otherwise go hog wild. And if I reject a request I text first to check.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a discord for requests and a bot that posts new releases. It's kind of a fun little community of friends, family and co workers.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I just tell users to send me a text with the title. Sometimes I may have to ask what year but overall it’s a breeze. The only rule I have for content is absolutely no overtly political stuff of any variety and that also includes Covid conspiracy or other poo poo like that. So far it hasn’t been an issue. For a while it included no kids stuff but a few users basically begged so I made a kids folder and the stuff in there gets watched a ton so it’s worth it. Hard to say no to the kiddos out there!

Password sharing is the only thing that will result in someone getting kicked off as I’ve had it happen with other services in the past where no one would fess up so that is firm no-no for me.

Oh and one time someone texted me about how they were surprised I had some “woke tv show” in the library and when I told them they can gently caress right off back to the streaming services they canceled if they don’t like it they quickly apologized lol.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

kri kri posted:

For those using infuse, check out the TestFlight builds the Plex integration is much better.

How so? Do they do something other than just dumping everything into either “TV” or “Movies” now?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

My only rules are no kids movies and nothing that's on Netflix otherwise go hog wild. And if I reject a request I text first to check.

What do you have against kids movies you monster :mad:

Just limit it to everything from my own childhood, that stuff was great :yeah:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

What do you have against kids movies you monster :mad:

Just limit it to everything from my own childhood, that stuff was great :yeah:

Oh yeah if it's from 80-90 it's fine, though I'd seriously consider rejecting Land Before Time.

But I'm not making GBS threads up my Plex server with Puss in Boots 8 because you're too cheap to pay for Disney plus.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Oh yeah if it's from 80-90 it's fine
It's absolutely of top priority children are exposed to the 80's and 90's systemic misogyny and not any of this modern crap.

Please don't gatekeep children's media FFS.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Khablam posted:

It's absolutely of top priority children are exposed to the 80's and 90's systemic misogyny and not any of this modern crap.

Please don't gatekeep children's media FFS.

Ok calm down. I don't want kids stuff on my plex in general. I'm not gatekeeping anything.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Ok calm down. I don't want kids stuff on my plex in general. I'm not gatekeeping anything.

You're gatekeeping your own Plex server! :supaburn:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not too picky with what people choose. The most popular kids movie on my server is frozen and one kid watched it like 25 times. Not too demanding.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, I'm not too picky with what people choose. The most popular kids movie on my server is frozen and one kid watched it like 25 times. Not too demanding.

I have a suggestion for all you people who don't want kids movies:

Let it go
Let it go
Don't hold them back anymore
Let it go
Let it go
Open up the storage door
I don't care what you're going to say
Let the movies in
The mouse never bothered me anyway

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

No thanks. Sorry.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

No thanks. Sorry.

The funniest part about this whole detour is anyone with a strong opinion on what's on somebody else's Plex server.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hahaha, I mean, I get it.

My wife and I have decided we don’t want kids. We aren’t foaming idiots about it that use the term “breeders” or anything. Kids are great, we just don’t want them.

Ive got no problem accommodating parents in my daily life, you’ve got little people to look after. But I think it’s ok for me to have one little rule that says I don’t want your kids movies on my plex which I built, paid for, and pay for monthly in electricity and internet.

If that upsets people, go off i guess. I’m not a tyrant on my plex but im allowed to set some terms if I want. Someone requested 57 Seconds last week and we watched it last night and it was hilarious and terrible and I’m glad someone added a movie to my plex id never otherwise add.

But Frozen 6 is never gonna get watched, and im not gonna have it on my server.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Overseerr is The Way.

The only thing I don't do on my Plex server (yet) "because users" is 4K. I don't have a GPU and even beefy Xeons cry trying to transcode 4K, and most people never bother to change off the default resolution setting.

But instead of getting mad at them, I just sit here mildly annoyed that Plex hasn't created a feature to disable transcoding on a per-library basis, and enjoy all the empty diskspace in the meantime.

Most people setup another instance of Sonarr/Radarr and library just for 4k. Overseer even has an option for this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

... I’m glad someone added a movie to my plex id never otherwise add.

But Frozen 6 is never gonna get watched, and im not gonna have it on my server.

Kinda sounds like you're open to cinematic adventures into the unknooooooown
Into the unknOOOoooooon
Into the unknOOOOOOOOOwn!

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 28, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That solves the separate library issue (and I'm already set up to handle that in the future if/when needed) but I don't even want those separate libraries until I can tell Plex to not transcode anything played from them, ever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

I have a suggestion for all you people who don't want kids movies:

Let it go
Let it go
Don't hold them back anymore
Let it go
Let it go
Open up the storage door
I don't care what you're going to say
Let the movies in
The mouse never bothered me anyway

Lmao

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

cruft posted:

Kinda sounds like you're open to cinematic adventures into the unknooooooown
Into the unknOOOoooooon
Into the unknOOOOOOOOOwn!

:lol:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Kids stuff is great, if you don't watch Bluey and get feels there's something wrong

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can't sully my over provisioned storage pool with crotch spawn entertainment!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

pzy posted:

Kids stuff is great, if you don't watch Bluey and get feels there's something wrong

Bandit is an amazing dad and I hate him deeply.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

A whole lot of cringe has come out of Reddit but this one tops it all for me, gross.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

I grew up watching MASH with my dad, there's no way I delete it :colbert:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

A whole lot of cringe has come out of Reddit but this one tops it all for me, gross.

Oh you sweet summer child... Crotch spawn goes back *at least* to live journal if not earlier.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I remember hearing it in the late 80s, before the typing lab at school got converted into the computer lab.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I only remember seeing it on these very forums like 20 years ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My friends have a kid that’s probably around 2 or 3, and the most watched thing on my server is a little 20 minute film she adores (The Tiger That Came to Tea) which has been played around 40 times in the last few months.

I can’t deny her that, nor the pain it undoubtedly causes my friends to have to sit through it yet again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I always gotta laugh at people who get annoyed when the users they've willingly added to their Plex server request something. Like, how much effort is it to queue up a download, especially if you have automations in place lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I can’t remember ever caring about transcoding or even looking at my server watch history.