Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

If you turn Afterburner on after the game starts it'll work just fine. I guess it just authenticates on launch.

And yeah, I have a 4080 with absolutely everything on and it needs either Balanced/Performance and FG to hit 60. Performance gets me a solid 60+. Game looks incredible.

What do you use to get a frame rate to show up?

I've got a 4060 and I'm getting varying performance (I've just started chapter 2).

In the forest at the beginning I had high setting and ray tracing to medium and it felt like things maybe slightly dipped below 30 with the resolution set to DLSS. Things looked a bit blurry though and there was the occasional glitch on the FBI guys face.

However, in Bright Falls , I played with the settings and was able to crank everything to max and it felt like it ran even better than the forest section.

I feel its kinda obvious that would be the case given it's a less complex area.

One thing I wasn't sure about was the resolution setting. I'm playing on a 1080p TV, but the rendering options have quality set at 720p. There's a 1080p rendering option but that says DLSS or something.

I dropped it down to the 720p quality setting while leaving the display resolution at 1080p and couldn't really spot a difference.

Also, had a crazy weird ray tracing bug.

First time I play the game I switch it on and it's fine. Next time I boot up the game and everything looks hosed with white artifacts and distortion everywhere.

Next time I restart with Ray tracing disabled from the options screen before loading the game, then activating it once the game loaded. The issue was gone.

Dunno if it was some random thing or if I need to enable ray tracing after the game is running or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm wondering if pc max-settings players get mirrors that don't look like they're full of fog. the lighting engine is lovely but it's having some weird side effects

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

i'm wondering if pc max-settings players get mirrors that don't look like they're full of fog. the lighting engine is lovely but it's having some weird side effects

Yeah judging from the DF video, reflections are the big win for ray tracing. The non-RT GI and shadows hold up pretty well against it though

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kin posted:

One thing I wasn't sure about was the resolution setting. I'm playing on a 1080p TV, but the rendering options have quality set at 720p. There's a 1080p rendering option but that says DLSS or something.

I dropped it down to the 720p quality setting while leaving the display resolution at 1080p and couldn't really spot a difference.

DLSS quality is usually very difficult to tell from native resolution, even at lower output resolutions like 1080p. Might as well stick with it if it's not bothering you, that's free performance or reduced power draw. The native 1080p option is called DLAA because that's the term for when you use DLSS only for its antialiasing and not upscaling (DLSS provides high quality antialiasing as a side effect).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

started hollering at the screen when ahti showed up in the dark place (initiation 1)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 28, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay so I'm real early on and just used my gun for the first time and okay do I get out this morgue? I got the manuscript page that straight up told me where he went, said some lines to Casey, threw all my evidence on the board but the doors are all locked and Saga isn't reacting to anything here.

Okay nvm I found a sneaky photo to pin up.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 28, 2023

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
lol at all the people turning the game down from hard to normal for the first boss and here I am turning it down from normal to easy because I died like 8 times on normal :negative:

Also I have a bad feeling this has the horror video game trope of the best weapon being the starting pistol and the only one worth upgrading with your upgrade thingies

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 28, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone else getting a thing with the car scenes hanging? Like the conversation starts, stops for a little bit and then continues but then the scene ends very abruptly, looking up a playthrough, it seems like the two so far ended with a sentence or two missing for me. Assume they are loading screens and something hanging is loving up the timing of them. Feels like it could just finish off the conversation and then load in though, given they clearly spent a lot of effort crafting the story.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 28, 2023

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Lakbay posted:

lol at all the people turning the game down from hard to normal for the first boss and here I am turning it down from normal to easy because I died like 8 times on normal :negative:

Also I have a bad feeling this has the horror video game trope of the best weapon being the starting pistol and the only one worth upgrading with your upgrade thingies

I'm kind of flabbergasted by how bad the design on this fight is. It's legitmately awful.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I'm playing on Hard and haven't really hit any crazy walls yet. The first boss ate all of my ammo and then like three melee hits, but it was easy enough to just dodge through his swings.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Issaries posted:

I made it to the first boss fight in hard.
I literally ran out of bullets on that and was 100% certain that I needed to find a trick solution to it.
Spent multiple attempts running around the area trying to find the solution.

Solution was to drop the difficulty to normal. Now the boss had way less HP.

There is ammo pickups around the area

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'm kind of flabbergasted by how bad the design on this fight is. It's legitmately awful.

I'm really surprised by this because I beat it on Normal first try and loved it. I don't think I'm even especially good at action games although I have played all the recent RE Engine games, the third person remakes of which in particularly play quite similar, as well as stuff like Last of Us

His attacks are pretty easy to dodge and there's plenty of ammo around to just light him up and shoot like a normal enemy. Are people just like, panicking or something

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 28, 2023

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

VanillaGorilla posted:

It really, really is.

While overall I adore the look and vibe of this game (same as I did the first one) there are some really strange design decisions--most primarily how the 'Goals' section is full of helpful hints such as "Figure out what to do next :smug:", which is especially LOL when considering how convoluted the detective board and profiling stuff really all is from a UX perspective.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm really surprised by this because I beat it on Normal first try and loved it. I don't think I'm even especially good at action games although I have played all the recent RE Engine games, the third person remakes of which in particularly play quite similar, as well as stuff like Last of Us

His attacks are pretty easy to dodge and there's plenty of ammo around to just light him up and shoot like a normal enemy. Are people just like, panicking or something

Same. Just learn to dodge, one try, not that bad.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The big issue for me was that he'd teleport and then hit me, and then the post-processing effects gently caress up your visibility so much that it's difficult to see anything once you get tagged once or twice. It also didn't help that the game REALLY wanted to pop up the tutorial about dodging which (at least on Series X) causes the framerate to hitch which allowed him to tag me again.

And that's all on top of the fact that he's a giant bullet sponge and they drop the fight on you after...2 previous combat encounters (and only 1 fight after they actually introduce the dodge mechanic). On top of that there's no tutorial pop-up to indicate that you can melee (which, as I recall, wasn't actually an option in AW1) and it's not even listed on the control map for Xbox under options - which matters for this fight, because it's pretty likely you'll run out of ammo at least once on normal and above!

It's whatever because I got past it and the rest of the game is great, but my recollection is that the boss fights also kind of sucked rear end in AW1 and it doesn't seem like they got better in this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Headshots with the shotgun will take him down fast.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Ouch, this game is ruthless with checkpoints. I list a poo poo ton of progress in the second segment. Backtrack and save as if you were playing RE1

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Are people just like, panicking or something

Yes. I went into the fight with 12 handgun bullets and 2 shotgun shells and while that finished the first phase, the rest was panicking trying to find the ammo drop and trying to see poo poo through all the foliage and being bad at video games.

I'm glad we can turn the difficulty down in this game though, Control at launch with one difficulty was dreadful for me

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The weird shimmering that happens in the PS5 version in certain places is really taking me out of this lol

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Wow. Saga just guzzles a whole bottle of painkillers at a time. Seems like a bad habit!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Caidin posted:

Wow. Saga just guzzles a whole bottle of painkillers at a time. Seems like a bad habit!

Sounds terrible, can't imagine any Remedy protagonists doing anything that unhealthy.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I know. I used all those pickups on hard. Still ran out of bullets.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mylan posted:

Dunno, I could see how someone could interpret Zane as a real person who discovered the lake before Alan did but failed to escape. The whole reality altering power of the lake kinda fucks up the concept of a true order of events.

The problem is while this interpretation is neat we know from Alan Wake 1/Control that The Presence can't actually create. It can only take/corrupt. It can alter reality, but cannot create new realities.

Which puts a huge damper on that idea. Alan can't have created Zane, because Zane couldn't be created. Unless Zane was already someone who was living in the region with Barbara.

The only way that would work is if Zane and Barbara were in Bright Falls when Alan arrived, and after losing Alice at the cabin he wrote them into the story in such a way. Which is possible? I guess? But is kinda hosed up tbh and I don't think the intended system, especially since it'd mean the entire first part of Alan Wake wasn't real which isn't really implied at all.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone noticed that Alan's story in New York mirrors The TV show from max payne 2, address unknown? The one you go to the theme park of.

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
Where did ya'll find a shotgun? I'm several chapters in and still only have a pistol

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Where did ya'll find a shotgun? I'm several chapters in and still only a pistol

It's early on - the General Store in front of the murder site has a locked display case with it

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Phoix posted:

It's early on - the General Store in front of the murder site has a locked display case with it

Yup there's a light puzzle involving a padlock combination

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Headshots with the shotgun will take him down fast.

I guess some people are like me, see the «hit him in the weak spot for massive damage» tip, and assume you are supposed to continue shooting him in the stomach even after the weak spot disappears

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I died the first couple times because I ran towards/through the storm thing and nightingale is just standing in there so I thought you were supposed to shoot him quickly to win. Did not work out well lol

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone playing this with an 8bitdo ultimate? how do you get this to play nice with that controller? I tried adding the game as a non-steam game but it doesn't allow itself to be launched by steam.

edit: "fixed" by switching to a wired ps5 controller, works fine.

redreader fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 28, 2023

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Can you go back to cauldron lake once you leave after you find Alan? I just spent like 90 minutes exploring and finding poo poo only to die and lose it all. I want to get it all again but also want to continue the story and come back later if I can

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Yes.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

Can you go back to cauldron lake once you leave after you find Alan? I just spent like 90 minutes exploring and finding poo poo only to die and lose it all. I want to get it all again but also want to continue the story and come back later if I can

Yeah, there are some areas/containers you can't access the first time you enter a map

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Going through Alan's section now and I got a little giddy when the janitor popped up.

I died at my first encounter with a ranged Taken and god drat that is a brutal "continue" loading screen.

There's so many fun winks and callbacks to previous Remedy titles and I'm loving every bit of it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Theres a shotgun? Where? I had to fight the boss with a handgun

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Played way too much of this today and honestly my only complaint is the FMV jumpscares feel pretty lazy. Game loving rules

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Not going to criticize anyone for pretending to work but you gotta at least log in

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Theres a shotgun? Where? I had to fight the boss with a handgun

the general store’s back room

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I wonder if the game gives you another one if you miss it because I wouldve never realized it was there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I wonder if the game gives you another one if you miss it because I wouldve never realized it was there.

You can go back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love how bad the adventure tour brother’s American accents are its adorable.