Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wanna read that 6/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So far as I can see, Virtuos is just a porting studio. They've never developed their own game or even another remaster?

That does give me much hope for a good product. That said, I don't see anything wrong with using the MGSV animations themselves. Games typically have to find a balance between realistic nuanced animation and quick input response times. Action games often sacrifice the former, AAA games tend to sacrifice the latter. I'd be hard pressed to name another game that balanced animation quality with low latency input response better than MGSV... except Death Stranding. They just won't do better than Kojima's own team.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Next time I'm on the bus I'll try and grab a copy

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This is such a ludicrous year, I gotta finish Spider-man and make a serious dent in Cyberpunk before I can even think about slotting in another big AAA narrative-type game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wanna read that 6/10

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/26/alan-wake-2-review-go-back-to-sleep-19720842/

TLDR the reviewer found the player characters too slow and clumsy which made the combat and exploration a chore, also not scary at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm gonna start a game review site that only gives 6/10s. it's the perfect score to drive up traffic for any game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well the only other reason anyone reads Metro is you're insanely loving bored on a train and it's free so

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Or you've got that one weird coworker who brings in a stack of them on their way into work

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wanna read that 6/10

Probably had trouble getting a copy due to it being sold out everywhere in stores!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

I'm gonna start a game review site that only gives 6/10s. it's the perfect score to drive up traffic for any game.

God is a Troll

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If I ever started a review site I would assign scores at complete random.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

So far as I can see, Virtuos is just a porting studio. They've never developed their own game or even another remaster?

That does give me much hope for a good product. That said, I don't see anything wrong with using the MGSV animations themselves. Games typically have to find a balance between realistic nuanced animation and quick input response times. Action games often sacrifice the former, AAA games tend to sacrifice the latter. I'd be hard pressed to name another game that balanced animation quality with low latency input response better than MGSV... except Death Stranding. They just won't do better than Kojima's own team.

Virtuos is just doing mgsdelta and its 1:1 so i suspect its porting poo poo over to ue5 more than anything (dunno how easy that would be) still using same vo and story and the areas just with mgsv gameplay and new paint.

Also, plottwist. M2 did the master collection. Main reason other than "as is" for no big resolution changes is how badly higher resolutiona gently caress with the effects of ps2 2 and 3. Even bluepoint didnt escape that (werid poo poo like seeing faces in rain drops that look great at ps2 res but the tricks come undone) theres still bluepoint graphics bugs in the MC 3. Wish they included ps2 2 and 3 tbh. More 2 cos that always looked weird in hd to me. Ps2 mgs2 res just feels right for the magic kojima was pulling off

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I played The Finals for 8 hours lol

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ghostrunner 2 slaps.

Just got chased through the desert by a giant cybersandworm, ramped my bike into its mouth and drove through its writhing body while slashing up its internal organs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ugh, I thought the graffiti mission was cool in SM2 until the scripting broke and I had to abandon it. I couldn't get the prompt to pet the cat to appear so I restarted from the previous checkpoint, and when I got back in I couldn't cross the plank.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There are these archer enemies in Lords of the Fallen that are invisible so you can't target them. They only become visible briefly when they're attacking you. But they also can kill you in two hits and are often surrounded by fodder enemies. Came across one that has these umbral parasites on them that make them invulnerable unless you pull you your lamp and shine it on those parasite for far too long. If they wanted to make a coop game then they should have just made it mandatory - the enemy density and placement are atrocious.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

Ghostrunner 2 slaps.

Just got chased through the desert by a giant cybersandworm, ramped my bike into its mouth and drove through its writhing body while slashing up its internal organs

Yeah, AC6 might have been dethroned as champion of the best cinematic boss fights against a giant robot worm. That was a good sequence.

I think I’m near the end of the game. Feel I could wrap it up soon but need to rest for outdoors stuff tomorrow. Great ride of a game. Everything I liked about the first but bigger, better, and more polished. And the bike levels rule.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

veni veni veni posted:

Satan is a Geek...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Ugh, I thought the graffiti mission was cool in SM2 until the scripting broke and I had to abandon it. I couldn't get the prompt to pet the cat to appear so I restarted from the previous checkpoint, and when I got back in I couldn't cross the plank.

Replaying it now and at the start you pass two people playing a guitar and hand drum and you can feel the music in the haptics, it's such a cool detail for a deaf character

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I played The Finals for 8 hours lol

It looks fun as heck. Veni said the TTK is super long which is extremely my poo poo, excited to give it a go

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Forgive me if he's already well known here or this has already been posted, but Von Zuben's Youtube channel is a joy to watch if you are into the Spider-Man games. IIRC, he posts here too but I've forgotten his username. He's ridiculous, absolutely destroys the games on their hardest difficulty. This video is great but he's also already put up one where he gets a 300+ combo streak in Spider-Man 2.

For what it's worth, he says in the comments that he thinks the controls for the new game are a little bit looser than the first two and I'd assume if anyone could detect a difference in the feel it would be him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I7VPs72H5A

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah that's Lobok, haven't noticed him post here recently but he's around on the discord.

From earlier in the week, but thanks for the shout out! Don't know if I unbookmarked this thread at some point or what.

I didn't have the words for it at the time but yeah, what it feels like control-wise is that some moves feel more delayed and that there is less ability to buffer inputs. Not bad per se but different.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 27, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Lobok posted:

From earlier in the week, but thanks for the shout out! Don't know if I unbookmarked this thread at some point or what.

I've had threads randomly vanish off my bookmarks without realizing it a few times

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

omg chael crash posted:

It looks fun as heck. Veni said the TTK is super long which is extremely my poo poo, excited to give it a go

It's also high skill floor imo, so I guess we'll see if it takes off. But I'm really impressed with how creative it lets you get and just how emergent the gameplay can be at times, and the technology that undergirds the entire experience with level design that is profoundly cool. I feel like at times it's all moving faster than Titanfall, you have to juke through back alleys and apartment doors at wild speeds in order to lose the heat when carrying the cash, and the traversal options are so impressive. 9 times out of 10 if you see a door or a window that looks like it can be smashed through...well, it can. It all ends up making a lot of moments feel like that Mombasa chase scene from Inception.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It's also high skill floor imo, so I guess we'll see if it takes off. But I'm really impressed with how creative it lets you get and just how emergent the gameplay can be at times, and the technology that undergirds the entire experience with level design that is profoundly cool. I feel like at times it's all moving faster than Titanfall, you have to juke through back alleys and apartment doors at wild speeds in order to lose the heat when carrying the cash, and the traversal options are so impressive. 9 times out of 10 if you see a door or a window that looks like it can be smashed through...well, it can. It all ends up making a lot of moments feel like that Mombasa chase scene from Inception.

Games these days with high skill floors/ceilings don’t seem to last very long despite often being well made games. It’s a bummer, I really liked both Lawbreakers(lol) and Hyperscape

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
People getting pumped for the MGS collection was weird to me because a) we’re all old and have played these games a ton of times before but more to the point b) Konami is an F tier game publisher at this point and getting hyped about anything they do is foolish. For reference, Bluepoint did the last good MGS collection. That’s apparently the level of expertise you need to port these games well.

And here we are again with people probably getting hyped with the MGS3 remake.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Absolutely, at this point Konami is 100% wait and see with anything they put out. I don’t have high hopes for the Suikoden remasters

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I didn’t understand getting excited about the home console release because all three games have had extremely accurate emulation solved for any computer someone is likely to have at home. They’re painless to set up these days. Even OSX had PS2 emulation catch up rapidly this year with the MGS titles as the top priority to get running accurately. Those public emulators seem to work better than Konami’s.

It would have been cool to have good versions available on the Switch since not everyone has a Steam Deck. But that version wound up the biggest mess.

But yeah, even if you didn’t want to emulate, preordering from Konami these days is nuts.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If I see that SH2 remake they gave to Bloober I'm shootin

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Bugblatter posted:

I didn’t understand getting excited about the home console release because all three games have had extremely accurate emulation solved for any computer someone is likely to have at home. They’re painless to set up these days. Even OSX had PS2 emulation catch up rapidly this year with the MGS titles as the top priority to get running accurately. Those public emulators seem to work better than Konami’s.

It would have been cool to have good versions available on the Switch since not everyone has a Steam Deck. But that version wound up the biggest mess.

But yeah, even if you didn’t want to emulate, preordering from Konami these days is nuts.

I agree with this completely, but there's just a convenience to bring able to comfortably launch these from one location on a console at my couch without needing to gently caress around with literally anything else. That said, you're completely right, and if that convenience factor isn't a big deal there's no reason to pay for this

E: the bigger picture here is like, a PS5 should absolutely be powerful enough for Sony to just put the effort in to making their own local emulator and they could totally make money by just chucking up a library of old games on there. Buuut its just not a priority for them and they've probably done the bean counting that not doing something like that is more profitable since it makes rereleases, remasters and remakes sell better with more hype about a game being reintroduced to the console ecosystem

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 28, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

First Ghostrunner 2 took the prize for best giant robot worm boss from AC6.

Now it takes the prize for best wingsuit from Spider-Man 2.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It is so funny to me that Ken Levine fired most of his team, spent ten years talking about how he had to in order to make something radically different, hyped up "narrative legos" as a new kind of game... And then is literally just making a game that looks like BioShock 1 again

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Alright having gotten to the Venom part of Spider-Man 2 I'm prepared to call this the greatest non-Rockstar AAA game of all time

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Wolfsheim posted:

Alright having gotten to the Venom part of Spider-Man 2 I'm prepared to call this the greatest non-Rockstar AAA game of all time

I said it in the sm thread bit they really should remaster Ultimate Spider-Man just for that mode.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I wish that you could rebind controls. The whole grenade/gizmo hold l1 direction to select, hold and release to throw is doing my head in.

I really want to like it, but the controls also feel way to sluggish on console and that it was designed for PC in mind and controllers was just thrown in at the last minute.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can totally remap that stuff. I play with all of it on the dpad. The default sucks. The game is way too fast for radial menus

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Oh yeah I just saw the different schemes. Maybe this'll make it a bit better.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

bloodychill posted:

The fox engine slapped hard, and MGS3 but brought up to MGS5 standards sounds like a good time.

I don’t expect Konami to ever make anything original of note ever again, but hopefully they can license out their IPs to people who do them justice.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Got platinum for Spider-Man 2, looks like it's another easy plat since it says over 10% of players have gotten it.

Game's great, really buggy right now but mostly little things, although the last leg of the game was immaculate for me. I think one of the biggest highlights for me was just how drat good the symbiote looked, it was basically perfect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sammus posted:

but hopefully they can license out their IPs to people who do them justice.

Unfortunately by giving SH2 to loving blumbo team they've already proven they cannot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

bloodychill posted:

People getting pumped for the MGS collection was weird to me because a) we’re all old and have played these games a ton of times before but more to the point b) Konami is an F tier game publisher at this point and getting hyped about anything they do is foolish. For reference, Bluepoint did the last good MGS collection. That’s apparently the level of expertise you need to port these games well.

Konami did the last collection (legacy) M2 did the current one

Bluepoint did the last poo poo collection of 2 and3, they were not ported well, actually, they are full of visual bugs and gently caress ups like codec delay. Thats all bluepoint code thats mostly fixed for this release (some ps2 tricks hosed up in hd still exist tho)

Always funny the dicksucking bluepoint get when they are just like upping a res and widescreening and calling it a day. Not even worth mentioning their remakes either, none of them feel right.

Forever lol at resheads and fpsdorks who dont know the first thing about why remasters of prehd res games rarely look good in "hd" but nah gotttaaaaa have shaaaaarp distenceee texturesssss

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 28, 2023