Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Good Listener posted:

Like I said, I'm now just wondering if it's a better idea to try to do multiple Tokyo area stops in a day (a day for enoshima/kamakura or such) or just do one at a time and spend the whole time there. I have...yea plenty of time to figure out but I always end up thinkin of all the options before things actually happen haha.

Just having finished my Tokyo trip I feel like logistically it felt like it would be hard to visit more than two neighbourhoods in a day and even then it's probably best to do just one per day to not feel super stressed and tired by travel. Like it's ok if some places are right next to each other but travelling by train all over the city isn't much fun.

On my recent trip I spent pretty much all day wandering around Kichijoji for example. Another day I spent the morning wandering around Daikanyama and meandered into adjacent Nakameguro in the afternoon.

One of the days where I did the most hopping around the city was one where I went to a modern art museum, then took the train to Akihabara because it was relatively close by, then went back to my hotel in Shibuya for the late afternoon, early evening.

I really enjoyed the day trip to Kamakura and I feel it's well worth it. Def a place you could spend all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Good Listener posted:

Related to my interests actually, anyone know of any good vintage toy type shops where you might find Transformers and the like? I've seen Nakano Broadway's Mandarake location mentioned but if you all know something along those lines that might be a bit smaller, I'm curious to know.

I'm assuming Akiba is a good place to start but yea curious if you all are familiar with any offhand.

I am sorry to report that the state of buying (vintage) toys in major cities in Japan is pretty bad. By bad I mean bad selection and wildly overpriced. Nakano Broadway has some massively overpriced stores but very few. Hell, most will be closed during the hours you go. Akihabara stinks. Den Den town in Osaka is bad too. Honestly, have packages delivered to your hotel from various online sellers, that's the best way and delivery is very timely, especially if you buy from within the city you're staying.

I have pictures of malls in southeast asia that have more toys of the kind you're looking for than all of Tokyo combined. If you have a chance to travel there, you'll be in paradise.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 25, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Grand Fromage posted:

Mandarake is the big one, there are a lot of them around with different stuff. Book Off is worth checking. There are also lots of consignment shop places where people rent out a little cube to sell, I'm not sure what the Japanese name for them is to search but there are a ton in Akiba.

I think they might be called Recycle Shops? I looked it up and that's one of the terms that came up.

Femtosecond posted:

Just having finished my Tokyo trip I feel like logistically it felt like it would be hard to visit more than two neighbourhoods in a day and even then it's probably best to do just one per day to not feel super stressed and tired by travel. Like it's ok if some places are right next to each other but travelling by train all over the city isn't much fun.

On my recent trip I spent pretty much all day wandering around Kichijoji for example. Another day I spent the morning wandering around Daikanyama and meandered into adjacent Nakameguro in the afternoon.

One of the days where I did the most hopping around the city was one where I went to a modern art museum, then took the train to Akihabara because it was relatively close by, then went back to my hotel in Shibuya for the late afternoon, early evening.

I really enjoyed the day trip to Kamakura and I feel it's well worth it. Def a place you could spend all day.

I'll definitely keep this in mind too. Thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Magnet (formerly Shibuya 109 MENS) used to do such cool clothing, I always came back with a new jacket from last trips. Now it seems like several floors of anime merch and a few shops selling Kingdom Hearts fan OC outfits :(

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
I am visiting Japan for my third time, and my soon to be wife’s second time (honeymoon). Very rough outline is below, happy to hear constructive criticism :)

We fly into HND at 8pm on 28/11, and depart HND 8am on 14/12.

Things we have: 14-day rail pass

Things we don’t have: everything else.

On our previous trip we stayed in Kyoto 5 nights, with a side trip to Hirsohima, Takayama for 2 nights, Kanazawa for 3 nights, Nagano for 1 night and Tokyo for the remaining 4 – 5 nights.

Things we want to see:
Super Nintendo World & Studio Ghibli – we haven’t been to Osaka so I am thinking basing ourselves here for these two venues plus a day or two in Osaka itself?
Mt Koya (overnight if needed otherwise day trip from Osaka)
Nakasendo Trail - Magome and Tsumago
Yokohama & Kamakura (probably day trips from Tokyo)

What we enjoy:
We have already seen lots of temples. We really enjoy the outdoors and shorter hikes / nature walks.
Cool lesser visited places of Tokyo, Shimokitazawa was fun last time and we’ll definitely have a day of thrift shopping. Any suggestions for similar in Osaka?
Onsens, private however as my wife has extensive tattoos

This leaves us some time to spare (maybe?). After some research it seems Kysuhu gets the nod over Hokkaido this time of year – Kysuhu will be warmer and Hokkaido will be cold but without the snow. We are open to suggestions for Hokkaido instead, or other places entirely (Niigata, Sendai and Aomori maybe? Or Shikoku Island and Kobe?). For Kyushu, Nagasaki is on the list, not really sure where else, maybe Kagoshima but it seems like a bit of a train ride for only 1 or 2 nights. A rough outline is as follows however I understand we are trying to cram in quite a bit and may have to cull options:
  • 28/11 > Fly into Tokyo @ 8pm. Question – will it be too late to jump on the Shinkansen to Osaka? There is a shinkansen for 9.30 but unsure how long it'll take to jump through customs and get to the departing station.
  • 28 or 29/11 > Osaka and explore
  • 30 > Super Nintendo World
  • 1/12 > Kyoto day trip (a final few places we haven’t been? Alternatively, happy to skip this step)
  • 2/12 > Studio Ghibli (this may have to be re-arranged depending on tickets)
  • 3/12 > Mt Koya
  • 4/12> Osaka to Nagasaki
  • 5/12 > Nagasaki
  • 6/12 > Kagoshima
  • 7 – 9 > unsure, Takayama was nice and we wouldn’t mind going back, quite a distance however. Can anyone suggest anything similar?
  • 10 – 14/12 > Tokyo, incl. day trips to Kamakura and Yokohama and maybe Nikko?

Thanks,

go_banana fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 26, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Ghibli Park is nowhere near Osaka.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

go_banana posted:

We really enjoy the outdoors and shorter hikes / nature walks.

Thanks,

Consider Yakushima. No idea how it is at that time of year, but could be a nice excursion from Kagoshima

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is in Nagoya though, which is also where you'd stay to head to those Nakasendo towns. Unless you're staying in them or Nakatsugawa.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

go_banana posted:

A rough outline is as follows however I understand we are trying to cram in quite a bit and may have to cull options:
  • 28/11 > Fly into Tokyo @ 8pm. Question – will it be too late to jump on the Shinkansen to Osaka? There is a shinkansen for 9.30 but unsure how long it'll take to jump through customs and get to the departing station.
  • 28 or 29/11 > Osaka and explore
  • 30 > Super Nintendo World
  • 1/12 > Kyoto day trip (a final few places we haven’t been? Alternatively, happy to skip this step)
  • 2/12 > Studio Ghibli (this may have to be re-arranged depending on tickets)
  • 3/12 > Mt Koya
  • 4/12> Osaka to Nagasaki
  • 5/12 > Nagasaki
  • 6/12 > Kagoshima
  • 7 – 9 > unsure, Takayama was nice and we wouldn’t mind going back, quite a distance however. Can anyone suggest anything similar?
  • 10 – 14/12 > Tokyo, incl. day trips to Kamakura and Yokohama and maybe Nikko?

Thanks,

I would plan on staying in Tokyo that first night, it would be real tight to get from Haneda to even Shinagawa for a Shinkansen late. Better to not risk it, IMO.

I think you can find fun in Nagasaki and northern Kyushu, to be honest. Fukuoka is a lot of fun, and would be easier since you have to go through there anyway to take the trains further south. Nagasaki is also real cool, can recommend a few places as well.

zmcnulty posted:

Consider Yakushima. No idea how it is at that time of year, but could be a nice excursion from Kagoshima

That’s another long bit of travel by boat (or a flight) and might be surprisingly chilly in November/early December.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You can go up to Kanazawa from Osaka and hit Nagano, Karuizawa etc. on the way down to Tokyo.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

It would be a nice idea to take a day trip or two detour to Shikoku. Take the boat.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Actually last year during our Kyoto trip, I really wanted to take a quick detour to see the Shikoku Four Corners. My hubby would not give me the end of it but we were so glad we made the trip

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shikoku has four seasons*

*Snow not included

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We are currently staying in Sendai. Yesterday was Yamadera, today was Shiogama fish market building our own don and then Matsushima. We missed out and didn’t realize how much there was nature wise to enjoy in Matsushima so we are going back for a stop over on the way back to Tokyo. It was nice to also get the small town welcome again, I missed it. Sendai is good vibes with seeing more outdoorsy people around.

We are going to Hirosaki and Aomori this weekend, so trip report. The leaves haven’t really changed even in Yamadera, except for the very tall mountains.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
oh mah gaaaad I totally forgot about Nakatsugawa to Magome. e: it's going to be annoying to fit on my schedule though now that I think of it. Maybe next time

Explosive Tampons fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 26, 2023

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

go_banana posted:

28/11 > Fly into Tokyo @ 8pm. Question – will it be too late to jump on the Shinkansen to Osaka? There is a shinkansen for 9.30 but unsure how long it'll take to jump through customs and get to the departing station.

Are you flying into Narita or Haneda. If Haneda, this transfer will be super tight and I advise against it. De-planining, immigrations, and customs takes about 45 mins usually. If Narita, this transfer is impossible.

Edit: Nevermind you said Haneda. Still, getting out of the airport + exchanging your JR pass will probably take around an hour total. That leaves you 30 minutes to get to Shinagawa to catch the Shinkansen. It'll be very tight.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 26, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You could probably take a flight from HND to KIX or the other Osaka airport at that time. It doesn't make use of the JR Pass, but it's doable.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol don't go to KIX if you want to be in Osaka

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol don't go to KIX if you want to be in Osaka

It’s not like Itami is exactly Haneda lol

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been to many places in Japan except for Shikoku. I want to plan on going there in spring next year and renting a car to spend a week or so there.

Since I will be based in Tokyo / Yokohama, logistically what is the best way to get to Shikoku to start the trip? Actually, I have been to Awaji Island before and flew out of Tokushima Awaodori Airport. Does it matter which airport to fly into?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Busy Bee posted:

I've been to many places in Japan except for Shikoku. I want to plan on going there in spring next year and renting a car to spend a week or so there.

Since I will be based in Tokyo / Yokohama, logistically what is the best way to get to Shikoku to start the trip? Actually, I have been to Awaji Island before and flew out of Tokushima Awaodori Airport. Does it matter which airport to fly into?

There are cows at Kochi airport.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Takamatsu airport has sheep.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Busy Bee posted:

There are many options but the fastest and probably cheapest is plane.
It doesn't matter but from Takamatsu you can go anywhere in Shikoku so maybe considering flying to Takamatsu, or starting from Matsuyama or Kochi then going back to Takamatsu. Tokushima has lot of good ferry and bus links to the Kansai are so it is not hard to access.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

The question comes down to where you want to see. If you want to see the big four cities arriving in Kagawa is maybe the best. :)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Saw someone walking a full sized pet pig in Osaka earlier tonight. Just wanted to share.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Currently drinking a sake from Kochi.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Currently eating an okonomiyaki from me.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Currently heading to Harajuku to be an overpaid tour guide for the day for a group of Romanians that built the country's first whisky distillery.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
A set of instructions my maps app gave me for the best way to exit a very normal and intuitively laid out station.

quote:

Follow signs for 2F Central Gates, then follow signs for Hankyu Railway Umeda Station 1F Concourse, then follow signs for HEPファイブ、HEPナビオ、阪急メンズ大阪、プチシャン, then follow signs for プチシャン, then follow signs for Hanshin Rwy., then follow signs for H49, then follow signs for H51

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Every time I need to exit Kyoto station it rages me that they don't label the exits north and south because if you guess wrong you need to dive back into that hell scape cause there is no other way nearby to cross the tracks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a bridge just east of the station actually, if you're a nerd who wants to look at trains or just want to cross without going back in.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We crossed that bridge on accident and at the time I was lugging a lot of heavy pottery with me. We could have not walked the extra 20 minutes but my partner did guess wrong. I was so pissed.

Btw never eating another eikiben again. They are not kind to me.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

A set of instructions my maps app gave me for the best way to exit a very normal and intuitively laid out station.
This is actually an improvement over the old Osaka station.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

You could not imagine the look of my hubby’s face when we arrived to Kochi station on our last trip. He was so relieved because there is only two exits so it was very easy for him to navigate. No tears and no fuss.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Another problem with Kyoto station is it doesn't have good signage for other railways. If you are in the JR section and need to get to the local line? Ask someone because the signs aren't going to help. Hint: you have to leave the station.

Tokyo/Osaka are real good about lots of signs leading you from one line to another. Kyoto, not so much.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Another problem with Kyoto station is it doesn't have good signage for other railways. If you are in the JR section and need to get to the local line? Ask someone because the signs aren't going to help. Hint: you have to leave the station.

Tokyo/Osaka are real good about lots of signs leading you from one line to another. Kyoto, not so much.

Which local line are you talking about? Keihan line doesn't actually come to Kyoto station, you need to walk over half a kilometer cross the river to get to Shichijo station so it's not considered a transfer.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Probably the subway but having to leave the station to transfer to a subway is pretty common in most Japanese cities.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We fly in from the U.S. to Tokyo (Haneda) around 3:30 in the afternoon and then need to be on a flight to Osaka at 5:00 pm. Is this enough time?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teddust posted:

Which local line are you talking about? Keihan line doesn't actually come to Kyoto station, you need to walk over half a kilometer cross the river to get to Shichijo station so it's not considered a transfer.

Ah yes, the old 700 m underground transfer is a feature of a couple Tokyo stations as well. Fun stuff.

Nanigans posted:

We fly in from the U.S. to Tokyo (Haneda) around 3:30 in the afternoon and then need to be on a flight to Osaka at 5:00 pm. Is this enough time?

Assuming you’re landing at Haneda and also departing from there, which airlines are you using? If it’s two JAL/ANA flights I wouldn’t necessarily be worried. There also should be later flights to Osaka just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nanigans posted:

If it's JAL or ANA and you're just switching terminals at Haneda, you can use the bag drop off at the international terminal (after passport control and baggage claim) to immediately re-check your bags, then take the shuttle to the domestic terminal with dragging your luggage.