Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

RHase posted:

gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! guess i'll just have to suck off my wife about it ( <--- said in a borat voice)

Dude. Hospitals are being bombed in Gaza and they’re doing surgeries without anesthesia or antibiotics on conscious children and this is the loving energy you bring into this thread? Get the gently caress out. I’m not even going to ask you to post your hole because that bitch is slimy and the vibes are horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Poppers posted:

Dude. Hospitals are being bombed in Gaza and they’re doing surgeries without anesthesia or antibiotics on conscious children and this is the loving energy you bring into this thread? Get the gently caress out. I’m not even going to ask you to post your hole because that bitch is slimy and the vibes are horrible.

This. Read the room.

RHase
Sep 4, 2016

you're right, it should have been a bruno (gay) voice im so loving sorry :( :( listening & learning from this

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
we need an ik so bad

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Poppers posted:

got em

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
what are you you all doin in this thread

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

poppers

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ketamine hopefully if poppers shares with the rest of us

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

The ketamine is for rave sluts ONLY

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Also can someone adopt this noobie and teach them the way

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Poppers posted:

Also can someone adopt this noobie and teach them the way

I will teach them my ways

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Alright RHase. Time to shape up or we all take turns pulling down Lain’s pants and paddling her rear end red.

RHase
Sep 4, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

I will teach them my ways

i primarily lurk the hardware/software subforum and i'm pretty sure you were the one who had a lain smoking weed avatar, and that pic owned, so i will do my best to learn and perhaps one day post at least marginally-to-slightly better

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

if you're going to post with faggots you're going to need a faggier av RHase, like of an anime or a horrible little dog or somebody getting fisted

poppers get this noob an invite to the discord

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Gravid Topiary posted:

if you're going to post with faggots you're going to need a faggier av RHase, like of an anime or a horrible little dog or somebody getting fisted

This

RHase
Sep 4, 2016

Gravid Topiary posted:

horrible little anime dog it is, then!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

RHase posted:

horrible little anime dog it is, then!

good work kohai

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So what is next month's book or are we just voguing in here now

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Sarsapariller posted:

So what is next month's book or are we just voguing in here now

Judith Butler's seminal work, Gender Trouble. First book club is on the 4th

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

hell id read it

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I am looking forward to it if we pick that but may not read it cover to cover. Butler is of course extremely, extremely right about some things, particularly the notion of enforced and ultimately baseless divisions between interiorities/exteriorities. The book is beginning to show its age, or at least lack of engagement with things like developmental neuroscience. I've seen some strong evidence contrary to certain notions in the book in some studies, and I'd be interested in doing some secondary readings. Also the notion that illusory subject/object distinctions can be fought primarily with parody, drag, etc. is kind of funny. More like: a struggle towards a deep and abiding compassion imo.

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Oct 28, 2023

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

tokin opposition posted:

I've heard a lot about it and I've read Whipping Girl which felt like the next step in the discussion that this started, but was also getting pretty dated. Will pick it up though

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Reading a Guardian interview with them though, I found this bit very striking. I think it's bizarre that people are still apparently finding controversy in Butler's idea that gender and sex are both performative cultural roles- I have spent too long in the Gender Mines I guess to really have a clear idea of what the cis think about this, but how can they not be aware of that, modern masculinity is nothing if not entirely performative.

Let’s talk about Gender Trouble’s central idea of ‘performativity’. This remains a controversial view of how gender works, so what did you have in mind?

At the time I was interested in a set of debates in the academy about speech acts. “Performative” speech acts are the kind that make something happen or seek to create a new reality. When a judge declares a sentence, for instance, they produce a new reality, and they usually have the authority to make that happen. But do we say that the judge is all-powerful? Or is the judge citing a set of conventions, following a set of procedures? If it is the latter, then the judge is invoking a power that does not belong to them as a person, but as a designated authority. Their act becomes a citation – they repeat an established protocol.

How does that relate to gender?

I suggested more than 30 years ago that people are, consciously or not, citing conventions of gender when they claim to be expressing their own interior reality or even when they say they are creating themselves anew. It seemed to me that none of us totally escape cultural norms.

At the same time, none of us are totally determined by cultural norms. Gender then becomes a negotiation, a struggle, a way of dealing with historical constraints and making new realities. When we are “girled”, we are entered into a realm of girldom that has been built up over a long time – a series of conventions, sometimes conflicting, that establish girlness within society. We don’t just choose it. And it is not just imposed on us. But that social reality can, and does, change.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's because most people don't understand that gender is a class system that exists in society and not fundamentally in human nature, and even though the one we inhabit in the west is based on white christian social tradition (in which gender is supposed to be an inviolable and restrictive sex-class) there are other ways for it to be expressed too

humanism makes people dumb who coulda guessed

Herbert Stencil has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Oct 28, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

If I read too many retarded takes about Judith Butler I’m locking the thread.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
In that case we should do a different book. it would also spare some local libraries getting copies of gender trouble back that are gnawed on, covered in chocolate smudges etc.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Poppers posted:

If I read too many retarded takes about Judith Butler I’m locking the thread.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
butler was a big kamala donor lol

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Your rear end in a top hat is a big donor to men’s wieners. Your point?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The butler suggestion was tongue in cheek because even in GT her writing is so baroque and hard to understand without so much context and someone sitting you down and explaining what the gently caress she's actually saying.

My actual suggestion is https://www.amazon.com/Half-Built-Garden-Ruthanna-Emrys-ebook/dp/B09CNDZSYK

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Ohtori Akio posted:

perhaps someone else could nominate a book..?

youtube playlist of all the in living color "men on..." skits but turn the auto-closed-captioning thing on so it counts as reading

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Poppers posted:

Your rear end in a top hat is a big donor to men’s wieners. Your point?

One of these things is much more honorable than the other

Sep 26, 2020

Ohtori Akio posted:

perhaps someone else could nominate a book..?

A couple of friends and I passed the same copy of Stone Butch Blues around this summer and I've been itching to chat about it with people who aren't kind-hearted but weak-minded non-profit libs.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

An ftw suggestion emerges from the transsexual peanut gallery :ninja:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

57001 posted:

A couple of friends and I passed the same copy of Stone Butch Blues around this summer and I've been itching to chat about it with people who aren't kind-hearted but weak-minded non-profit libs.

pdf is also available for free on the website of the author’s estate

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

57001 posted:

numbers guy has the right idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

today is my 8 year HRTiversery