Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
The first time I played Death Stranding I had a sleeping baby strapped to my chest.

It really added to the experience.

Especially when the controller started crying and I thought my daughter had woken up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Good news: my speech-delayed kindergartener is finally talking more-or-less normally.

Bad news: he's a racist.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You can be racist against the dutch or Italians with no problem so just throw clogs at him until he gets it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I recently introduced video games to the kid and we now spend about 30-60 minutes most nights before bed playing Pajama Sam, SF6 World Tour, or Night in the Woods ("Cat Run Game," the first game she took notice of and still her favorite). They've been pretty amazing for developing her speech skills, I think mainly because they're great at getting & keeping her attention in an environment where it's easier to focus on the other person talking. She, and we, have been making huge strides and she's become so much more communicative everywhere else too.

The difference in her ability to take (and accept) direction is huge. Normally she doesn't want help, wants to figure everything out on her own, if you try to point anything out or guide her she rejects it and will get frustrated extremely easily and sometimes give up (but we've been working on it). I think the games help with her taking direction because the problem spaces are much more clearly outlined, and because the computer area is "my space" (more so than e.g. when we're playing elsewhere) she's much more receptive to my suggestions or directions.

The other day she specifically asked to play Bloodborne, so I was like sure thing, if you get scared, tell me and we'll stop okay? Not really concerned though because she's always loved monsters and had a high tolerance for spooky stuff, and this was no exception.

So she was like okay, and I set her up and mostly just let her do whatever, trying to guide her here and there. She ended up with a 7:1 KDR :hehe:

if anyone wants to watch 20 minutes of a 4yo playing BB: link

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Nov 2, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Our kids have been playing Animal Crossing on and off for a while. I showed the 5yo Untitled Goose Game while her older sister was on the Switch. Needless to say, the drat goose has sown discord IRL as they bicker over who gets to control it.

I've ordered a couple extra controllers so they can play two player goose.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I am holding an awake infant on my lap and every time she moves my leg gets cold and then I have a moment where i think im covered in poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I recently introduced video games to the kid and we now spend about 30-60 minutes most nights before bed playing Pajama Sam, SF6 World Tour, or Night in the Woods ("Cat Run Game," the first game she took notice of and still her favorite). They've been pretty amazing for developing her speech skills, I think mainly because they're great at getting & keeping her attention in an environment where it's easier to focus on the other person talking. She, and we, have been making huge strides and she's become so much more communicative everywhere else too.

The difference in her ability to take (and accept) direction is huge. Normally she doesn't want help, wants to figure everything out on her own, if you try to point anything out or guide her she rejects it and will get frustrated extremely easily and sometimes give up (but we've been working on it). I think the games help with her taking direction because the problem spaces are much more clearly outlined, and because the computer area is "my space" (more so than e.g. when we're playing elsewhere) she's much more receptive to my suggestions or directions.

The other day she specifically asked to play Bloodborne, so I was like sure thing, if you get scared, tell me and we'll stop okay? Not really concerned though because she's always loved monsters and had a high tolerance for spooky stuff, and this was no exception.

So she was like okay, and I set her up and mostly just let her do whatever, trying to guide her here and there. She ended up with a 7:1 KDR :hehe:

if anyone wants to watch 20 minutes of a 4yo playing BB: link

this is adorable :3: good for you

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Benagain posted:

You can be racist against the dutch or Italians with no problem so just throw clogs at him until he gets it

No it's the bad kind

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kids have unfortunate racisms sometimes. My kid's classmate apparently deduced that brown kids can't be friends with white kids and told his parents. They then had A Talk.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my 7yr old whole cloth comes up with some real bigoted poo poo so I tried to correct it and sometimes it went badly. we now moved to a much more diverse metro area so I hope it will get better.

however, I have “the talk” still.

her cousins from Japan are coming over and I said she should learn some Japanese because they may not know english(my brother decided not to raise bilingual kids smh) and she was like”they’re coming to America they need to speak English” and I told her we don’t have an official language so people don’t have to speak English at all. and informed her lots of medics and school announcements are multi lingual.

unfortunately her previous school had a lot of class/society issues where (in her mind) kids darker than her were in trouble and got special privileges. so there were times where she basically spouts “welfare queen” rhetoric out of nowhere.

I’m constantly trying to correct it but the current kids books that try to tackle it are really not effective imo. so, I try to just talk
about it with her and connect it to reality and a bit of history, like how social movements formed and what their objectives were and how other groups did not like that and what needed /needs to be done to make it right.

it’s gotten better though but I still have work to do. she’s more aware and sensitive to class issues just need to connect it more but she’s 7 so I’ll just keep at it.

her idea of beauty is royalty with porcelain white skin and blond hair. if we could remove copaganda, monarchies, and private school poo poo from kids programming that would be nice.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, one of the fun side effects of systemic racism is that non-white kids grow up in households with fewer resources, which gives them a lot more issues to deal with and that sometimes leads to them being either bullies or being seen as "dumb". It's a complex and tricky thing, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I try to separate the specific bully kid from "all brown people", but that's a stopgap.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

BonHair posted:

Kids have unfortunate racisms sometimes. My kid's classmate apparently deduced that brown kids can't be friends with white kids and told his parents. They then had A Talk.

My kid saw a picture of a monkey on a black man's backpack in the middle of trafalgar square so he pointed at him and started going "ooo ooo ah ah ah!" :negative:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
As part of a broader initiative to cut bottles entirely, we've dropped the ~4 a.m. soothing feed. 15-month-old still wakes up crying fairly reliably though. I can sooth her with back pats enough to stop crying, but she doesn't really go back to sleep for very long. Most days this week I've been up with her after 5.

Very resentful of friends with 12-hour sleepers.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

sonatinas posted:

my 7yr old whole cloth comes up with some real bigoted poo poo so I tried to correct it and sometimes it went badly. we now moved to a much more diverse metro area so I hope it will get better.
her idea of beauty is royalty with porcelain white skin and blond hair. if we could remove copaganda, monarchies, and private school poo poo from kids programming that would be nice.
That sounds tough to deal with but sounds like you're on it. Having kids in a more diverse area and classroom probably does help nip some of this stuff in the bud.

Children's programming and literature can definitely be very dire and it comes from all directions. The older kid recently got into the Harry Potter books and didn't like me questioning why the good-guy wizards decided to set up a nightmare prison guarded by monsters. At least they haven't learned about the movies yet.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My 5 year old has a friend sleeping over and she just informed me that she's not allowed to watch Bluey because it's "too funky." This is from the same family where the mom tried to pitch me on both Sound of Freedom and some Yee-hadi Madrassa alternative Girl Scouts so I can't wait to learn about some Q-drop fatwa against the Blue Heeler family.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

No Bluey? Moms for liberty must be stopped.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nothing ruins the daylight savings time switch like having a baby and a toddler. An extra hour of sleep? Hell no, they can't even read clocks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My toddler wakes up about 7am (probably) and then just sits quietly in his bed for up to two hours until we go to get him, while we just sleep in.

Is this normal? How lucky should we consider ourselves?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Microplastics posted:

My toddler wakes up about 7am (probably) and then just sits quietly in his bed for up to two hours until we go to get him, while we just sleep in.

I'm going to personally come to your house, open your bedroom curtains at 0600 and request you read me annoying books.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Baby woke up at new 5:15 screaming for no discernible reason; we got him back down but then the toddler was up at new 6:00 complaining loudly that there was a hair in her mouth

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
What's good my fellow "up at 6:00 AM for no reason on Sunday morning" buddy!?!?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

What's good my fellow "up at 6:00 AM for no reason on Sunday morning" buddy!?!?

She's had a screaming tantrum already today

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Yeah I was up at new 5 today with one year old. But that was good honestly. 6 am for her and no crying for a 4am bottle is a big win lately.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh hey 5am crew. I'm just sitting here with a poopy baby waiting to see if there's a third poosplosion event before I change her.
There was as I was typing, waiting for 4

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

in-laws: we raised 4 kids, I think we know a thing or two about this.

also in-laws: hey you mentioned needing a single marble 4 months ago, we dug up an entire jumbo chock-full-of-nuts coffee can full of them from our boomer mausoleum. your two orally fixated kids will love 600 marbles, especially the 8 month old who is learning to crawl towards interesting things.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

And my partner was giving me poo poo about going to bed at 1030. Yes I know clock goes back and an hour. Know who doesn't give a poo poo? Toddlers.

Hello 6am!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Microplastics posted:

About 12 outta 10.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
daylight saving rules. full on tantrum from the 7 year old over a cooperative boardgame today. she's normally the extremely calm hitler of the family

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fosborb posted:

daylight saving rules. full on tantrum from the 7 year old over a cooperative boardgame today. she's normally the extremely calm hitler of the family

you can't write this and not mention which game. castle panic? forbidden island?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
dorfromantik. kind of like a coop legacy Carcassonne

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

in-laws: we raised 4 kids, I think we know a thing or two about this.

also in-laws: hey you mentioned needing a single marble 4 months ago, we dug up an entire jumbo chock-full-of-nuts coffee can full of them from our boomer mausoleum. your two orally fixated kids will love 600 marbles, especially the 8 month old who is learning to crawl towards interesting things.

Not quite the same, but in the same vein: love my gen-X in-laws who raised two children well but call or text nearly literally any time anything goes even slightly awry. “Oh, they stubbed a toe? oh okay uhh just do whatever you did with [my wife] ok thanks for calling!”

Can’t complain about having help but the attention-seeking gets old.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kid, who is already in a 3/4 grade split due to budget issues, is now being shuttled between other 4th grade classes as his main teacher got COVID and they can't source a substitute for a week long period.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Judgy Fucker posted:

Not quite the same, but in the same vein: love my gen-X in-laws who raised two children well but call or text nearly literally any time anything goes even slightly awry. “Oh, they stubbed a toe? oh okay uhh just do whatever you did with [my wife] ok thanks for calling!”

Can’t complain about having help but the attention-seeking gets old.

We tried laying the groundwork in advance saying "oh hey we learned this is what you do with a baby for sleeping, here's what health canada says is safe for babies in cribs" and it just led to grandparents thinking we were judging their parenting retroactively or the "well I did x and you survived." like no, of course you put the baby on their front/side, that's what they told you to do! No one's blaming you, it's just this is what's recommended now.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fosborb posted:

The three year old has been waking up at 5 in the morning. At least he got a good nap today.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It worked out well today, partner had an 830 appointment so toddler getting up at 630 was good. Able to get him to preschool at 730 while I slept off a last minute swing shift.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I had a 5am waker again. The stupid loving Hatch nightlight/white noise machine decided on its own to light up her room and she was standing and screaming.

Managed to settle her and maybe we'll make it to 5:30 but gently caress technology.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Man the past few days have been magical. Kids sleeping until 06:30. It's like a weekend every day

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Baby is down to walking up two (2) times a night after I put her down at midnight. This is good because wife is solo today

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
My 18 month is very creative. She keeps inventing new games.

Right now she packs chairs in a corner and barricades herself in there and then I pretend to be a dinosaur trying to get her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My employer just brought in a new policy: instead of getting just the 2 weeks statutory paternity leave, new fathers get 26 weeks leave fully paid (and it's not like shared leave - the mother doesn't have to sacrifice any leave)

I'm extremely happy for anyone who'll benefit from this and extremely sad that I missed this goddamn boat by two loving years jesus christ :argh: