Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lmao the ingredients page returns a 404 error

e: The Internet Archive (which Chuck Wendig wants to kill) has a copy

Anyway, getting her entire caloric needs (and then some?) from five cups of the stuff, in the form of pure sugar, probably isn’t great for her, either.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Oct 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://i.imgur.com/JQ0L5UU.mp4

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/ostonox/status/1717592054417563829?s=20

You do sorta have to wait for the end, but I'm not gonna blame anyone who listens to like 5 seconds of this woman and stops.
Lady was drinking way more caffeine than she thought she was

She seems like she's been chugging caffeine all day :stare:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
That is loving mind boggling. For reference, I've worked the night shift for over 15 years now and I used to drink two cans of Monster on the average day. I'm a big dude and I'd sometimes get the tinglies because two 16 oz. cans of Monster is 320mg of caffeine. The thought of downing 1000mg+ over a single day is just... WOW.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The General posted:

Even with clearly stating how much caffeine is in it, I don't think any reasonable person is going to think it's 11~ cans of coke/pepsi in a large lemonade.

You've tried the worst, now try the THIRST!

QUENCHER!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah those numbers mean nothing to me unless maybe it also includes how much caffeine is in a cup of coffee or something

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
A 8 oz. cup of coffee is like 90mg of caffeine, for reference. So go drink 10 cups of coffee and let us know if you live.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Finland is the highest consumer of coffee per capita, and people drink on average 3-5 cups per day. Each cup contains roughly 100mg of caffeine. So yeah taking 4 or 5 times that is quite a lot.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You've tried the worst, now try the THIRST!

QUENCHER!

I wonder if they have the MANANA and GUN flavors. Been thinking about those a lot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BlackIronHeart posted:

A 8 oz. cup of coffee is like 90mg of caffeine, for reference. So go drink 10 cups of coffee and let us know if you live.

You’d live, it just be really uncomfortable.

To hit the median lethal dose for a fairly light person (forty kilograms), she’d have to chug like two dozen of those mango yuzu things. The three and a half gallons of water involved would also be life‐threatening.

The caffeine concentration/gallon is almost the same between Panera’s product and black coffee, theirs is just way sweeter instead of bitter.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've had some days where I've gone too far with the coffee and couldn't function because the acting side of my brain couldn't keep up with the cognitive side of my brain and would just sit there feeling extremely nauseous. And that was probably at 300-400mg of caffeine spanned out over a couple hours.

To think this lady took in around 1000, even over the course of hours, is genuinely horrifying. I feel queasy just thinking about it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I drank 8-9 cups of coffee a day when I had my first office job and it was fine. Your body gets used to it after a while. I still wouldn't recommend it, though.

Schad is that I also didn't wear my glasses during this job and sometimes after a day of staring at a computer screen I'd go home and my eye muscles would be so tired from trying to focus on the screen that they'd basically just spasm for 15-20 minutes as soon as I tried using my home PC.
I'd have to go lie down with my eyes closed and wait for the (uncomfortable, rather than painful) thing to stop.
Once I worked out the cause (it took it happening a few times), I started wearing my glasses at work and the problem went away.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Framboise posted:

I've had some days where I've gone too far with the coffee and couldn't function because the acting side of my brain couldn't keep up with the cognitive side of my brain and would just sit there feeling extremely nauseous.
If you've read this sentence and thought "yeah, and?" please go get tested for adhd.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

If you've read this sentence and thought "yeah, and?" please go get tested for adhd.

I have adhd. Tried a couple meds and they jacked my anxiety through the roof to the point that l was better off dealing with the difficulty with focus and executive dysfunction without. Coffee helps a lot when I need to focus and actually get poo poo done, but if I overdo it I go from being easily distracted and unmotivated to "I'm going to fixate on a single idea for three hours and get absolutely nothing done. Also I will forget to eat until like an hour before bedtime."

It's a tricky balance sometimes. I'm aware that I could build up a tolerance but I'm careful not to. My dad became outright dependent on it to function for a few decades and would have some pretty awful withdrawals. Took him a while to cut the stuff out of his routine. I don't want that for myself, so I try to limit my intake.

Still, can't imagine the kind of hell I'd be in if I had as much as the Panera lady did.

Framboise has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Oct 28, 2023

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I limit myself strictly to 400mg per day, so one of those would be about it for me.

I've gotten in trouble in the past with some of the 8oz super high test energy drinks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Framboise posted:

I have adhd. Tried a couple meds and they jacked my anxiety through the roof to the point that l was better off dealing with the difficulty with focus and executive dysfunction without.

For what it's worth, this is also my experience. But I think I'm also very sensitive to stimulants, because if I have a proper, cafe-made cup of coffee in the morning there's a good chance I'll get fever dreams when I go to bed.

I'm currently taking 0.25mg dexamphetamine, by dissolving a 5mg tab in 50ml of water and taking 2.5ml. I find it helps. I keep thinking it doesn't make any goddamn sense that such a small dose should do anything and not be placebo, and yet A: I still get dry mouth, and B: every time I exceed that, it just makes me anxious. I keep thinking that it does just sound like such absolute bullshit, so today I took 0.5mg, and not only did it take me the whole day to get anything done but I was really anxious the whole time. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Spider-man jumps in the pool and waterboards himself
https://i.imgur.com/o3AyDWw.mp4

A truck rear-ended a pickup which just happened to be transporting fireworks
https://i.imgur.com/5uQAds9.mp4
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/fireworks-explode-on-highway-1-after-collision-near-hope-b-c-1.6619869

Dude roadrages his own car
https://i.imgur.com/BYlRwts.mp4

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://youtu.be/5NNOrp_83RU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/admiralexclipse/status/1716591469119623489
https://twitter.com/admiralexclipse/status/1716914823639023809

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/ostonox/status/1717592054417563829?s=20

You do sorta have to wait for the end, but I'm not gonna blame anyone who listens to like 5 seconds of this woman and stops.
Lady was drinking way more caffeine than she thought she was

I've definitely consumed a comparable amount of caffeine, generally when we get some bulk energy drinks and I mindlessly consume them instead of water, and let me tell you, I probably can't hit 1000mg of caffeine in a day without feeling terribly sick -- sweating, tremors, vomiting. and the energy drinks we get are usually sugar free or relatively low sugar, even compared to a can of coke, not closing in on 100g of sugar per drink :gonk:

and I have a caffeine tolerance, not a crazy one, but i consume caffeine on the reg, whether in coffee, caffeine pills, energy drinks, etc

I don't know how the hell she could have so many of those and not realize "oh man I'm fuckin tweaking"

that lemonade does sound good tho I don't really like panera's food but I'm totally getting one of these heartstoppers next time I'm in proximity to a panera bread

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i can't even do one of those 5 hour energy shots. they make me feel like i've done an 8 ball in 10 minutes. first and only time i had one i thought i was going to have a heart attack

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
i can't drink those energy drinks or any of those canned coffee bullshits because they're all maximum sugar per square inch of liquid and taste like poo poo for children

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just in case people weren't aware, someone actually did have a cardiac arrest after drinking one of those Panera lemonades and died. She had a heart condition and avoided energy drinks and didn't realise the lemonade had an insane amount of caffeine in it. Her family is suing Panera Bread.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/health-wellness/2023/10/25/panera-bread-sued-over-charged-lemonade-can-caffeine-kill-you/71314758007/

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The General posted:

Even with clearly stating how much caffeine is in it, I don't think any reasonable person is going to think it's 11~ cans of coke/pepsi in a large lemonade.

Lmfao what the gently caress. That's insane.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/2tLhZxF.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Oct 28, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As a teenager I once drank like three or four cans of something called Cult Energy Drink all that happened was that I started shaking a bit and threw up.

I probably consumed a fraction of what that lady does in a day and I had the excuse of being a dumb kid intentionally trying to get hosed up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like to call it jangle nerved when I drink too much coffee ever since I saw deadwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kDnvGFUq28

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding is that another issue with the Panera death lemonade is that they also had an unlimited drinks deal which was marketed as applying to their lemonade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Karate Bastard posted:

I wonder if they have the MANANA and GUN flavors. Been thinking about those a lot.

But does it come in a ROCKET CAN???!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That lemonade nutrition info absolutely needs context because while most people know their RDA of calories at this point who the gently caress knows the same for caffeine

I had to look up how much caffeine is in ground coffee (12mg per g, ish) because I make one or two french presses a day, measuring out about 15g of ground coffee a time, so at the most I'm having 360mg a day.

Having anxiety is pretty much a natural limiter on caffeine intake anyway, any more than a couple of cups spread out over the day and I feel terrible. If I'm hungover then I don't go anywhere near caffeine, which always bemuses me when I'm with people the night after a party or whatever and their first instinct is large amounts of caffeine.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/LbWHEkh.mp4

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stare: that is entirely too much caffeine, and I say that as someone who will drink most of a coffee pot my drat self (not all in one sitting though)

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

A standard can of monster energy drink has 160mg, this girl was sitting at Panera pounding back the equivalent of 6+ in a row. Holy poo poo. Piss.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Framboise posted:

I have adhd. Tried a couple meds and they jacked my anxiety through the roof to the point that l was better off dealing with the difficulty with focus and executive dysfunction without. Coffee helps a lot when I need to focus and actually get poo poo done, but if I overdo it I do from being easily distracted and unmotivated to "I'm going to fixate on a single idea for three hours and get absolutely nothing done. Also I will forget to eat until like an hour before bedtime."

It's a tricky balance sometimes. I'm aware that I could build up a tolerance but I'm careful not to. My dad became outright dependent on it to function for a few decades and would have some pretty awful withdrawals. Took him a while to cut the stuff out of his routine. I don't want that for myself, so I try to limit my intake.

Still, can't imagine the kind of hell I'd be in if I had as much as the Panera lady did.
See? I know what I'm talking about :v: I also have adhd but I've been pretty lucky with my meds since I got diagnosed, I'm way less anxious on them than I've been forever

Telltolin posted:

that lemonade does sound good tho I don't really like panera's food but I'm totally getting one of these heartstoppers next time I'm in proximity to a panera bread
Yeah I'm definitely getting stealth marketed to here

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I drink at least 800mg of caffeine a day in cold brew form, and it feels good as hell. But give me an energy drink, caffeine pill or something synthetic like that poo poo and I'm tweaked for drat sure

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol 800mg is still double the recommended daily limit.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

great big cardboard tube posted:

A standard can of monster energy drink has 160mg, this girl was sitting at Panera pounding back the equivalent of 6+ in a row. Holy poo poo. Piss.

Given that caffeine is diuretic, she probably did.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

That young lady gonna end up ☝️ presenting to the emergency room

https://youtu.be/wj_AOzSSDMM

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol 800mg is still double the recommended daily limit.

As little as 3g can kill you. But some people can take as much as 10g.

quote:

The FDA estimates toxic effects, like seizures, can be observed with rapid consumption of around 1,200 milligrams of caffeine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I'm also spreading that caffeine around like 15 hours, rather than just chugging 64oz of brew to the dome. I think the sugar might be as harmful to most people anyways