Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. Certainly not when they have major preconditions even for releasing the ~15 random Thai guest workers they grabbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I wouldnt be surprised if Israel has dropped some American munitions on all the hostages in order to blame the Hamas savages for one more thing.

Unrelated-

https://twitter.com/NewSovietPoster/status/1718024281940996399

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 28, 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

anyone concerned for the hostages should be calling for a ceasefire imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Only Israel doesnt want a ceasefire. They dont care about the hostages and have done nothing so far to free any of them. Its been all done by other parties with hamas.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

anyone concerned for the hostages should be calling for a ceasefire imo

A ceasefire keeps the slaves in Hamas captivity and rewards Hamas for having taken hostages.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Baron Porkface posted:

A ceasefire keeps the slaves in Hamas captivity and rewards Hamas for having taken hostages.

The current strategy is bombing Gaza without knowing where said hostages are. I think a ceasefire would be immensely better for them

E: glazed over your use of the word “slaves”, what the gently caress?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Baron Porkface posted:

slaves?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

What the hell, this feels like it needs more explanation. What slaves?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Baron Porkface posted:

and continuing the bombardment will kill thousands of civilians and most likely all of the hostages

seems like a pretty obvious choice to me!

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Baron Porkface posted:

So then why is the US rewarding the Zionists for keeping Gaza hostage?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BUUNNI posted:

So then why is the US rewarding the Zionists for keeping Gaza hostage?

Exactly. The vast majority of people in gaza are all hostages.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

What the hell, this feels like it needs more explanation. What slaves?

What do you think a hostage is?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Not a slave. What are you talking about?

vvvv I thought they were calling Palestinians not in Hamas slaves but now I don't know.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Baron Porkface posted:

Glad to see someone so quickly desert the Zionists and take the side of the people of Gaza.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 5, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

a person held in captivity to gain leverage another party

whereas a slave is a person in forced labor

maybe english isnt your first language?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

a person held in captivity to gain leverage another party

whereas a slave is a person in forced labor

maybe english isnt your first language?

Forced labor is not necessary for slavery. You go learn some english.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
[ quote="Baron Porkface" post="535571002"]
[/quote]

If every single person from either side of the debate momentarily dropped what they were saying to tell me I’d radically misused a word and sounded like I didn’t know English very well, I’d probably be reconsidering my choice of words.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Nah, sorry, you're on your own here. Nobody whatsoever uses the term 'slave' to describe hostages.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

dog what the gently caress are you talking about.

If you squint at the second definition, I guess, but that's also loving stupid.

Anyways we wouldn't want to reward Hamas with a ceasefire so time slather more civilians in white phosphorus. Definitely punishing Hamas super hard every time we turn a nine year old into disparate body parts. Couldn't possibly be justifying Hamas's own behavior and essentially guaranteeing another round of this.

why do the palestinians resort to violence against civilians, i ask, as i bomb a journalist's entire family for no clear purpose beyond collective punishment

how dare Hamas take hostages the way they did. They should have used the police to illegally round people up and shove them into military camps with no accountability

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 28, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

slave

noun. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another and forced to provide unpaid labor

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be totally honest, while many aspects of the Hamas assault were indefensible, large-scale hostage-taking seems like it's a fair and reasonable tactic for the armed forces of any population subject to genocidal dehumanisation. They can only make human lives matter to the rest of the world by kidnapping people whose lives might actually matter to someone. Too much of the hand-wringing about hostages from public figures smells suspiciously of 'how dare they bring real people into this', and of loving course they're going to use that bargaining power now they actually have it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What bargaining power? They took some hostages at the cost of all of Gaza being leveled

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Everybody shut up about the definition of "slave".

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
This might be the most stupid derail in this thread so far, and the competition is fierce.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 5, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

To be totally honest, while many aspects of the Hamas assault were indefensible, large-scale hostage-taking seems like it's a fair and reasonable tactic for the armed forces of any population subject to genocidal dehumanisation. They can only make human lives matter to the rest of the world by kidnapping people whose lives might actually matter to someone. Too much of the hand-wringing about hostages from public figures smells suspiciously of 'how dare they bring real people into this', and of loving course they're going to use that bargaining power now they actually have it.

No, hostage taking is not justifiable any more than war when it results in the same collateral damage to civilians.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Darth Walrus posted:

Even if you throw our all morality and standards for treatment of civilians the way this was executed doesn't work out. You take hostages when you either want to make demands or you want to prompt an assault to get them back. The hostages were taken very publicly so they can't demand political consessions from political actors whose relatives they have. They could demand resources but they know they will never actually get them. So at best they might prompt Israel to try and assault to get them back, which was a bad calculation on their part because Israel just ended up saturation shelling them regardless of hostages.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

Grenade-dropping drones aren't a hypothetical, Hamas had video of their drones blowing up listening posts and brewing up Merkavas.
I saw one video of a Hamas drone dropping a bomb on a Merkava but it looked like it hit the storage rack behind the turret so it made a big cloud but I don't know if it did tangible damage to the tank.

Sephyr posted:

Well, they got what they wanted. Once Hamas was th only game in town, they pulled out of Gaza, because it wasn't worth the headache of having a patrol ambushed every month of so and then having to negotiate prisoner exchange (And said exchanges got Hamas a lot of good PR inside the strip for freeing arrested civvies) and focused on quietly digesting the west Bank, which is the best land they can get right now. Once that was done, they could ignore or empty Gaza at their leisure.
There's one argument made by Israeli right-wingers with ties to the military that the situation became worse for Israel by pulling out of Gaza, because the wall also keeps the IDF away from Hamas. A wall is a binary way of thinking: they're over there, and we're over here. But while they're over there, they're building tunnels and organizing a command-and-control structure for an army of tens of thousands of soldiers and equipping them. Also Israel doesn't control the border between Gaza and Egypt, Egypt does, and Egypt is about as effective at stopping smuggling as Egypt is (not very).

In the West Bank, there's just not that level of organization that Hamas has achieved in Gaza because Israeli troops would bust them. You live in the West Bank and smuggle in an RPG, then if the Israelis get a whiff of it, a couple of jeep loads of soldiers can show up and kick in your door. In a way, Hamas has replicated the Hezbollah model in relative security, and Hezbollah were the innovators of this model. Hezbollah is a highly innovative and creative organization based in South Beirut and southern Lebanon, and it's an all-but-officially-declared separatist region there where Hezbollah runs the schools, the hospitals, provides the security, and calls the shots.

In the West Bank, there's a constant but lower level of "friction," but from -- again this right-wing Israeli military POV -- that's preferable to nothing happening and then Gaza blowing up in a war every few years, because Israel cannot control what's going on inside. The walls are keeping them out.

This argument, of course, creates the theoretical justification for the permanent occupation of the West Bank. They don't want a Hamas-like organization taking over the West Bank, and the settlement strategy is part of this too, there's this web of Israeli settlements and the Jordan River valley to the east that's being populated with Jews (many of them armed), which creates a buffer zone between these Palestinian ghettos and Jordan. It's not peace, but it's not war, it's somewhere in between in a gray area.

One of the retired Israeli generals who advocates this is Gershon Hacochen. He's also linked with religious Zionism. His views about geopolitics are also not that pro-U.S., he has said he thinks Israel is too reliant on the U.S. and it may be better to wean Israel off U.S. aid, because much of it goes into the air force, which incentivizes Israel to try to fight wars from the air rather than on the ground through this settler-colonial armed farmer strategy. He wants balanced relations with Russia and China. And he really wants to arm as much of the civilian population as possible.

quote:

“The God of the Givati Brigade,” I heard him say in the wake of the controversy surrounding one brigade commander’s pre-Gaza campaign address to his soldiers last summer, “goes to war.” He does not stay in the study hall and the synagogue, coming out only on special occasions. “I also take God with me wherever I go,” he said during our interview. “The Ashkenazim are too enlightened,” the lineally Ashkenazi and philosophically Eastern general explained, “I am not enlightened.”

[...]

The Western man, the German rationalist, he said, what does he want? “To go back to international borders. That is the main point for stability, to freeze the situation. They have an obsession that fixed equals stability. They can’t accept that reality is in constant flux.” This notion of high-resolution Divine intervention and nonlinear reality is why, he said, both the Palestinians avoid an end-of-claims peace accord and the Israeli Bedouin refuse to end their decades-long land struggle against the state. “Because nothing is final,” he said. “Nothing.”

This is also why, he added, “I prefer Hamas to Abu Mazen.” Because Hamas “helps me prevent a two-state solution” and is, covertly “an ally, because neither it nor I want a final solution and neither in my terms nor in its is there something that is everlasting.”

But even if there were, he said, land is worth fighting for. “I think of land like a Russian,” he stated, adding that a homeland is “not an abstract idea” but rather a tangible place of soil and stone. The long-term Palestinian plan, as articulated by PLO official Abbas Zaki, he said, is to pry Israel off the real cornerstones of the Zionist project – Jerusalem, Hebron, and Nablus – and then wait for the entire enterprise to implode. Tel Aviv, he said, is important in that it is the gateway to Jerusalem; “without that it’s just another Brooklyn, another shtetl,” or Eastern European village.

Beyond mentioning that he prefers an Iranian nuclear bomb on Tel Aviv to a two-state solution, he also said that he would happily forgo prosperity – “I prefer to eat bread and olives” – in exchange for the perpetuation of the status quo and that, in the future, in the face of pressure, he would be willing to grant all Palestinians the vote. Emphatically denying that such a move would be the death knell of the Zionist project, he said he was “utterly convinced” that the Jews of the United States would answer Israel’s call and immigrate in large numbers – “three million Jews and the matter is finished” – either on account of a rise in anti-Semitism or in order to save the Jewish majority.

[...]

And, since his perception of the world is that “the elemental state of man is struggle,” he prefers the one-state reality “and the internal struggle over the identity of the Jewish state” over the two-state reality in which the IDF has to repeatedly travel across a static borderline, which he tapped with my pen, between Netanya and Nablus.

The case for past and future withdrawals – a decrease in civilian Israeli blood spilled – is not a reasonable consideration, he indicated. “This is the idiocy of people who think that war is numbers,” he said. “War is spirit. It’s not soccer. You don’t count goals. It’s not overall expected utility. Who won the Vietnam war? The US lost 50,000 men and Vietnam 1.5 million. Who won? There’s no question.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/after-evacuating-gaza-a-lonely-general-of-faith-struggles-for-israels-salvation/
I was watching a documentary about the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza in 2005 which involved the IDF removing Jewish settlers by force. Hacochen was the operational commander tasked with doing it, which he didn't want to do, but he felt he had to do it because it was his job, and seemed to reconcile it all by projecting religious qualities onto the Israeli army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exyQ724_2nk

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Something that is very pointedly not getting talked about is that a lot of the hostages Hamas took were IDF soldiers and officers. I keep wondering if the complete disregard of that is part of why the IDF has been so shy about entering Gaza.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Marenghi posted:

It's hard not to look at what Israel is doing and not be reminded of Nazi Germany. The worst of it are the leaders who said never again, and made a big deal about WW2 history during the Ukraine war. Are all supporting Israel's "right" to genocide.

It's very close to what the Nazis did to Leningrad from the cutting off of water, power, food to the indiscriminate bombing tk the language being used. And that was the greatest act of genocide in the second World War outside the genocide of Jewish people. 2 million people died in Leningrad.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Out of interest, given that peaceful protest hasn’t just been ignored but has resulted in children having their knees shot to bits with sniper fire, what do you think Palestinians are entitled to do to defend themselves from ethnic cleansing? The vibe I get from some in the thread is that it’s terrible but the Palestinians should basically just take it and hope for the best.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Darth Walrus posted:

Stop trying to justify war crimes*

* Based off of ICC and UN standards

E:

Jakabite posted:

Out of interest, given that peaceful protest hasn’t just been ignored but has resulted in children having their knees shot to bits with sniper fire, what do you think Palestinians are entitled to do to defend themselves from ethnic cleansing? The vibe I get from some in the thread is that it’s terrible but the Palestinians should basically just take it and hope for the best.

TBH, I don't know. But Hamas murdering/abducting Israeli civilians was definitely not going to help Palestine's situation. It's only given Israel an excuse to accelerate their genocide.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 28, 2023

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Kalit posted:

Stop trying to justify war crimes*

* Based off of ICC and UN standards
You made several posts in defence of Israel's claims that a hospital was really a secret hamas base used to justify war crimes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Where we talking about Gaza and the largest outdoor prison where 98 percent of its water isn't fit for human consumption, cement hasn't been legally imported since 2005, the wretched and hopeless existence of Palestinian children and babies, before 10/7? It served its function, of focusing the entire world onto it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My opinion is that, an easy way to reduce the number of hostages taken in these incursions, would be to provide literally any other channel to negotiate the release of Palestinian hostages. """"Prisoner"""" exchanges have been the only way these men and women have been able to see the light of day.

It's unsurprising that, when you only respond to one move, that the other side disproportionately uses that move.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Giggs posted:

You made several posts in defence of Israel's claims that a hospital was really a secret hamas base used to justify war crimes.

Where did I state that makes it okay/fair/reasonable/etc for Israel to attack Shifa hospital? I loving hope they don't, regardless if Hamas' HQ is there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kalit posted:

TBH, I don't know. But Hamas murdering/abducting Israeli civilians was definitely not going to help Palestine's situation. It's only given Israel an excuse to accelerate their genocide.

Honest question then, is it the fact you object to or just the pace?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hamas has successfully captured soldiers in the past and used them to negotiate the release of Palestinians. Taking civilians as hostages instead (and the vast majority of the ~200 Hamas is currently holding are civilians) is an inexcusable war crime and the only reason it didn't initially get more focus is because Hamas committed so many other heinous crimes during its rampage in southern Israel.

I don't know the best method to run a liberation campaign when peaceful protest fails. But I do know that brutalising every civilian you can get your hands on is, in addition to being absolutely unjustifiable from a moral perspective, a loving terrible strategy that will result in the obliteration of your organisation, the needless deaths of a large portion of the people you claim to represent and your cause being possibly irreparably damaged. Hopefully everyone else in this thread will also know that once this horrific campaign is finished.

e: well done on not making this av a call to genocide I guess

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 28, 2023