Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cygni posted:

With the post launch patch, it is playable for me. Performance still isn't great, and the content and polish is more akin to a $30 early access city builder than a $50 release with big hype, but i'm already up to 23hrs played so!

Glad I payed 30€ for a shady key reseller then instead. Full price for unfinished game felt too steep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Where are my six-lane no-median no-parking no-grass narrow-sidewalk roads? Just six lanes packed into the width the regular four-lane roads occupy.
(Transport Fever 2 does that: If you upgrade a two-lane city road to a four-lane, with buildings all along, it will become a special kind of narrower-lanes road that you can't build directly.)

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Has anyone noticed any issues with medical care? My city is still small, ~1000, and I'm getting constant messages about poor healthcare. I just have the one clinic at this point and it's plopped nearly in the middle of the city so, uh, not sure what else there is to do at this stage of the game

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Jackie D posted:

Has anyone noticed any issues with medical care? My city is still small, ~1000, and I'm getting constant messages about poor healthcare. I just have the one clinic at this point and it's plopped nearly in the middle of the city so, uh, not sure what else there is to do at this stage of the game

I managed to get rid of that message, at least for a time, when I build a hospital. Which you obviously can't do at this point because that thing is 750k/month. I guess hospitals provide a specific service that clinics don't and the cims start calling for it way before you can afford it.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Jackie D posted:

Chirper sucks. I don’t even know if it’s working by design, but they say that you should pay attention to the number of Likes a chirp gets to evaluate how widespread the problem is, not frequency. I think the frequency of some messages is completely broken.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Snowmanatee posted:

Chirper sucks. I don’t even know if it’s working by design, but they say that you should pay attention to the number of Likes a chirp gets to evaluate how widespread the problem is, not frequency. I think the frequency of some messages is completely broken.

I have disregarded Chirper, and the public radio announcements its entirety. Complaints and contradictory news about anything and everything with no rhyme or reason.

I had a back to back announcement that industry was collapsing followed immediately by one that says it was booming. Complaints about not enough workers despite 10% unemployment.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Bu the way, I don’t think it’s been mentioned here but for Taterputer havers if you buy the game on Steam Patadox will give you a code good for 30 days of the GeForce Now Priority (or whatever the middle tier is called) service.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I turned off Chirper and the radio almost immediately and don't regret it at all based on what I've read about it itt

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

yeah the radio keeps talking about people dying a lot but I see clinics half full if that and there's no dead bodies piling up in the streets or anything, and at the same time people tweet about our great education when I forgot to build more than 1 elementary school until the city was almost 20k people so it was beyond overcrowded, but the high school and college were fine so I guess 2 out of 3 isn't that bad.

I mostly ignore them now. Like a good real city manager would.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

explosivo posted:

I turned off Chirper and the radio almost immediately and don't regret it at all based on what I've read about it itt

I know how to turn off the radio (it's in the settings), but how does one turn off the Chirper?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

TorakFade posted:

yeah the radio keeps talking about people dying a lot but I see clinics half full if that and there's no dead bodies piling up in the streets or anything, and at the same time people tweet about our great education when I forgot to build more than 1 elementary school until the city was almost 20k people so it was beyond overcrowded, but the high school and college were fine so I guess 2 out of 3 isn't that bad.

I mostly ignore them now. Like a good real city manager would.

Yeah I think I just have to turn off chirper, I get these messages and check the clinic to see it's at like 2/100 capacity and no ambulances out, I feel like I'm losing my mind

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OddObserver posted:

I know how to turn off the radio (it's in the settings), but how does one turn off the Chirper?

Interface > Chirper Popups

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Been playing this for a few days now, it honestly runs pretty well on my aging rig (Ryzen 3600/6600XT/16GB), although I'm only at 3k pop so I guess we'll see. There is a lot to like, but I am very annoyed that I can't connect pedestrian paths to parks. I'm pretty sure that was in the base game for skylines 1? Or it was added so long ago that I forgot it wasn't possible at some point. Also, the ground color of parks is different from the default green. These things together make it impossible to create seemingly larger parks in cool shapes, which is something I did a lot in the first game.

E: also it's impossible to put streetlights on pedestrian paths.

Martian fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 28, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Man, I like City Planner Plays, he has a nice calm voice he explains pretty well, but I absolute hate the look of the cities he builds. I would never want to live in any of them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

weird particular complaint: I really wish the displayed road length was still in those round units intead of meters. I had a little notebook with all the building measurements that made planning easier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's weird that the winter/snow lots are completely devoid of snow except for the roof of the building. Would be neat to see shoveled snowy paths around the college or big piles of snow in the parking lots.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Speaking of... I love this game so much

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Mt. Shroom.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
My cemetery caught fire somehow and then had a waiting for a hearse icon for ten irl minutes.

When is that no deathcare mod gonna drop?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

What the gently caress. There aren't any el stations so el rail is pointless, and there also for some reason aren't at-grade crossings for metro tracks which makes the ground level stations pretty useless too. Regular rail can do at-grade crossings so ?????? why is this not an option?

Because metro is meant to be modelling the kind of urban rapid transit which in real life is almost always grade separated in some way because they run a stream of trains too dense for a practical and safe ground crossing to ever be worth building. For lower frequency rail that can have at-grade crossings, that's commuter rail.

(In real life though I think there's commonly systems where the urban ultra dense transitions to a more commuter rail model further out with less frequency that can handle at-grade without it being a physically separate network and the trains that go all the way out just merge onto the rapid system when they go in, but they don't really have that here so you gotta just switch networks)

But yeah if they were going to do that they really needed el stations on the metro. I haven't played with metro yet, could you easily sink a surface metro network into a trench that roads can just go over? Is there any advantage to that over a subway?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 28, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Antigravitas posted:

Man, I like City Planner Plays, he has a nice calm voice he explains pretty well, but I absolute hate the look of the cities he builds. I would never want to live in any of them.

Other than Verde Beach yeah. He was a small town US city planner and is building in that way, which is fun to watch but produces a lot of terrible places to live.

MikeJF posted:

Because metro is meant to be modelling the kind of urban rapid transit which in real life is almost always grade separated in some way because they run a stream of trains too dense for a practical and safe ground crossing to ever be worth building. For lower frequency rail that can have at-grade crossings, that's commuter rail.

This is only true some places though. There are shitloads of at-grade rapid transit crossings in big Japanese cities, which is what I'm generally taking inspiration from. There's no reason to restrict this.

MikeJF posted:

But yeah if they were going to do that they really needed el stations on the metro. I haven't played with metro yet, could you easily sink a surface metro network into a trench that roads can just go over? Is there any advantage to that over a subway?

You can but it's turning into Rollercoaster Tycoon with how much popping up and down it would have to do, given the stations are surface level. Though the surface metro station is... still huge but not as insane as the train station, you might be able to have it sunken too. Road and path access can be at higher grade and be reasonable.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Wrong page.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

bagmonkey posted:

Cities Skylines2: Salvador Dali Content Creators Pack

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Though the surface metro station is... still huge but not as insane as the train station, you might be able to have it sunken too. Road and path access can be at higher grade and be reasonable.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking.

I wonder if the vanilla asset system means you'd be able to make a simple asset mod without code changes of a metro surface station where the road connection is at surface and the metro rail connection is in-trench and the lil people go up and down escalators.

You know, the stuff they do in cities all over to save money on real subways at everyone's inconvenience.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 28, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

bagmonkey posted:

:wtc:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I might try it and see how dumb it is.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I might try it and see how dumb it is.

this is my objective with my first city tbh, i'm basically experimenting with poo poo and trying to break things and figure poo poo out. it owns bones but i wouldn't put serious effort into a city you intend on keeping yet

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looking back at the feature highlight for transit, they do actually directly mention surface subway lines as being something you might want to use cut-and-fill for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

this is my objective with my first city tbh, i'm basically experimenting with poo poo and trying to break things and figure poo poo out. it owns bones but i wouldn't put serious effort into a city you intend on keeping yet

Same. I like how my city is turning out so far but I'm still doing dumb poo poo to see how it all works.

I also got the Curse of Knowledge from the donoteat video so now I'm constantly looking at terrible buildings.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's funny, they have interior parallax shader mapping available in some buildings but in a lot of them there's just empty cube space, I think? They should have a shared furnished rooms of various type texture set that they use.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 28, 2023

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
I can't seem to get any demand for building medium density or higher residential and my whole city is just single family sprawl. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Were the modders they hired the people who are utterly convinced that whoever adds the most polygons to their buildings win?

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 28, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope that using the Paradox Mods platform means they can have asset mods do some structural breakdown automatically that you can see in the browser, maybe something like list the independent buildings in the mod and display their polycount and texture weight. So you can be like 'ugh jeez needs more optimisation'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 28, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

Were the modders they hired the people who are utterly convinced that whoever adds the most polygons to their buildings win?

they hired people who worked on UI stuff

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

weird particular complaint: I really wish the displayed road length was still in those round units intead of meters. I had a little notebook with all the building measurements that made planning easier.

If you just mean having it track zone cell length then one of the snapping options when laying roads is “cell spacing” or something like that and will restrict your road length to 8 meter increments. Still have to use some math, but its easier once you figure out some of the rectangle sizes that work well.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

You know, I'm thinking the explicit separate treatment of "commercial" as a demand and zone is a bad decision, inherited from the SimCity series, and the more I think about it, the more I think they should have removed commercial as a zone.

When I think about all the commercial activities in places I've lived or been, they're 95% of the time in a mixed residential situation, either as the first floor of an apartment building/office, or the first floor of a medium density housing situation (rowhouses, or several story buildings). The other big case is things like malls, or strip malls. I think there's very few situations where there are individual shops existing as their own building outside of another context. There is one building near me that is like a 5 story all-commercial building, with different things in there like a BJJ gym and an HR Block, but it looks like it was either built originally as apartments, or as an industrial space and later converted to have commercial space in it.

What I think they should have done, instead of introducing the kind of odd "mixed" zoning type, and breaking with the SimCity tradition, is to remove it as a zone entirely and have it done as either an add-on to a residential asset, or as a separate modular plopable. Isn't that the way they're done in-building parking for assets in CS2 already? You zone a building, an asset is chosen to be built there, and the asset can have different levels of parking spaces. If the asset could contain and optional capacity for commercial in it, you could model how cities really work a lot better, and not have this awkward separate commercial zoning business. If the commercial demand builds up in that area, some of the residential spaces in the building could be overtaken by commercial.

For situations where commercial really is a separate thing, plop a mall object, and you can expand it with more stores, or additional features (e.g. a faux town centre plaza, a la "Shops at Don Mills" in Toronto). You could start with a small mall, expand it when it gets bigger, add on some outlet stores next to the mall, connected via small roads and parking lots, add on a bigger extension like a movie theatre, etc.

The idea of explicitly zoning high density residential that doesn't contain any commercial space in it is far stranger to me, but its a core option in the game. All of the recent high density constructions in either NYC or Toronto that I can think of are like that: big rear end apartment building/condos, ground floor shops, and if it's a high enough density area, you can get below ground shops, additional underground parking, subway connections, connections to other buildings' underground malls, etc.

The whole RCI (Residential-Commercial-Industrial) bar is misleading and feeds back in to this. As I said before, with the Realistic Population mod in CS1, the RCI bar gets really confusing with the mod because its lying to you about what it means. The blue commercial in the bar is more of a general recreational demand/surplus indicator, instead of explicitly commercial. Industrial is a proxy for unemployment in your city, not actual industrial demand. You get the same issue with residential, as I've seen many people confused about, where the low density residential demand is constantly high and people feel pressured to reduce it. It shouldn't really be modelled as that specific zone having a big bar, but how desirable your city is to live in, and what conditions (i.e. density, cost) that people are willing to put up with to move there.

I think they should have split it out in to: immigration desirability, needs fulfillment, citizen happiness or amenity satisfaction, and unemployment.

You get those as general indicators, and you zone residential or industrial/office to your desire to fulfill the demands of immigration or unemployment. Commercial outlets get built as part of either existing residential structures, you building an explicit mall or outlet mall or similar thing. You plop down amenities such as parks, welfare offices, hospitals, etc., to make your citizens happy, or satisfy their other needs.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I've not had low residential demand go away, but apparently it will push people from low into high if the rents on the low residential get too high. I've been adding some parks and making sure other services are around until I start getting the 'too high rent' prompts, and I've been able to keep a good amount of medium and high residential property filled up.

Not nearly as much medium/high as low, of course.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

some screenshots of jank

that was a hell of a snow cell.

big

row house residents have decided to sleep standing up outside frozen in time like zombies. halloween 2 spooky.

big

e: for people asking about die off waves, they definitely seem to still happen although I havent worked out exactly why yet.

big

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 28, 2023

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Tunzie posted:

I've not had low residential demand go away, but apparently it will push people from low into high if the rents on the low residential get too high. I've been adding some parks and making sure other services are around until I start getting the 'too high rent' prompts, and I've been able to keep a good amount of medium and high residential property filled up.

Not nearly as much medium/high as low, of course.

This makes me realize the HD low rent buildings going abandoned are probably people "moving up" into cheaper med/low density due to me overbuilding - mostly tiny row homes, i.e. 1x3 or 1x4, that I cram everywhere now. I probably have a lot more control over this than I thought. I wasn't a big CS1 player.

For specs - 3600/2060 Super, 1920x1080 and not feeling any slowdowns approaching a 50K city (have made recom adjustments).

Running into the garbage problem with 2 landfills and 2 incinerators, but I'm starting to think I'm actually importing trash from other cities now, I see it listed a cargo in my import stations. Can't find any way to stop that though.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Enjoying this bug where people form human walls in the crosswalks and refuse to move. I like to think they are protesting.

(this seems to be related to an overflowing bus stop)