Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Google sucks, but I'm still going to watch that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Randalor posted:

So basically, the poo poo that Google already knows because I already told them a lot of that stuff when I signed up (or they just check where my IP is from)?

It goes a lot further than what you explicitly tell them, but yeah.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

An unironic "Who cares if they get all my data, why should I care?" in 2023 is certainly something to see.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I view Youtube Premium the exact same way I view all of the rent seeking that Elon is trying to do on Twitter: an idiot (or group of idiots, as the case may be) who suck at business trying to force us to pay for their bad decisions and incompetence. I refuse. I am not an executive at Youtube. Their ability to raise revenue to pay for their infrastructure is 100% not my problem. These oligarchs need to take the advice they're always smugly giving to us: pick themselves up by the bootstraps and learn to code git gud at business.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 27, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I view Youtube Premium the exact same way I view all of the rent seeking that Elon is trying to do on Twitter: an idiot (or group of idiots, as the case may be) who suck at business trying to force us to pay for their bad decisions and incompetence. I refuse. I am not an executive at Youtube. Their ability to raise revenue to pay for their infrastructure is 100% not my problem. These oligarchs need to take the advice they're always smugly giving to us: pick themselves up by the bootstraps and learn to code git gud at business.

Really it's the culmination of them crushing all competition (not that there was much on streaming video) and becoming the absolute dominant player that now they feel they can start charging a captive audience as there's no where else to go. They're pretty much correct.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

slidebite posted:

I know to each their own, but buying premium gives them the best of both worlds.You're paying them a steady stream of cash PLUS they are still leveraging your data.

gently caress that. As long as uBlock works, I'll happily take the 5 seconds and update it before I fire up youtube.

e: And if it eventually doesn't work and need a fix of edu-tainment stuff, I'll probably subscribe to Nebula or something. At least that way the creator is directly sponsored and it's not going to finance the social virus that is Google/Alphabet with the creators catering to the algorithm.

I have ublock but YouTube gave me the “three vids left” message. I tried another ad blocker and that worked for a time but eventually stopped. I have no interest in playing ad whack a mole. I know google sucks but whatcha gonna do.

And if it was just a short skippable ad before the video started it would be fine but ads mid video are the worst.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
my main issue with premium is that i hate this crap with an "everything account" across both e-mail and watching cat videos and livestreams, and the system for just logging in separately is too much of a hassle

that's what i like about twitch, even though the connection with amazon accounts also causes issues from tiem to time

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

kliras posted:

my main issue with premium is that i hate this crap with an "everything account" across both e-mail and watching cat videos and livestreams, and the system for just logging in separately is too much of a hassle

that's what i like about twitch, even though the connection with amazon accounts also causes issues from tiem to time

On that note, is there a way to convince Google to stop making me two-way authenticate with the YouTube app on my phone? I didn’t sign up for that at all, and to my lack of surprise I haven’t found a way to do it through any of Google’s resources.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

An unironic "Who cares if they get all my data, why should I care?" in 2023 is certainly something to see.

Correctly assessing that there is no alternative* is a different thing than "who cares".

*if you want to buy me an iphone and a bunch of subscription services that I'd need to fully de-google my life, be my guest!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Klyith posted:

Correctly assessing that there is no alternative* is a different thing than "who cares".

*if you want to buy me an iphone and a bunch of subscription services that I'd need to fully de-google my life, be my guest!

You can degoogle a number of phones (even Pixels, ironically) and there are a lot of different service replacements for things like Photos, Calendar, etc. You're not going to replace Youtube obviously but you could use something like Invidious as an alternative frontend to it.

It would probably cost more per month and you lose out some big conveniences, but you're not putting all your eggs in one basket in case of being hacked or something like your account being disabled for breaking a TOS.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Degoogling an android phone sounds extremely limiting. Might as well buy an iPhone

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
De-Googled in the Comatorium

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
Use Firefox container tabs to make staying logged into multiple Google accounts less poo poo. YouTube (and YT Music) also let you create a channel under your main account which will have a separate view/listen history and keep the benefits of paying for premium. I was wondering what the gently caress happened to my recommendations and playlists when I found that one out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I don't remotely give a gently caress about corporations harving my data to serve me ads or whatever. It makes my life a lot easier.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I don't remotely give a gently caress about corporations harving my data to serve me ads or whatever. It makes my life a lot easier.

lots of people do and are talking about how to stop it. if you don't care then you don't have to do anything. congrats

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think it's funny that i can block ads.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I ponied up for Premium because probably 80% of my watch time is on my iPad or iPhone. I don't want to janitor my phone, so sideloading apps or playing cat-and-mouse with Google does not appeal. And I actually find the UX of the official app to be just fine, and they have improved it a few times.

I also justify it by from what some YouTubers have said: me watching their videos as a premium subscriber contributes to the monetisation so much more than as an ad-supported watcher.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

So basically, the poo poo that Google already knows because I already told them a lot of that stuff when I signed up (or they just check where my IP is from)?
If you allow ads, you also allow the tracking elements with them that'll follow you around the web and build a profile on you (with a handy google-sanctioned ID verification).
Google already know what google know, but blocking 3rd party advertising at least prevents supersavetokens4u from profiling and storing all your information in a text file on a Windows XP box.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I'm just doing what I can to frustrate megacorps and cost them as much money as possible, even if that's peanuts

Plus advertising is the worst industry arguably on the scale in terms of human harm as the military industrial complex and I will choose to participate in it as little as possible where I have the personal ability

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Volte posted:

I've been using YouTube Premium for a while because I watch it a lot on iPad and I gave up trying to block ads there a long time ago. I get far more value out of it than any other streaming service like Netflix so whatever, I'll cancel those before I cancel YouTube. I wish it had private sessions like Spotify does though for watching videos without affecting my recommendations.

That's actually a feature. On iOS go to: "you" (bottom right icon of your account) -->then at the top under your account profile pic, it should be the third bubble "incognito mode"

https://imgur.com/a/HfwyS76

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Khablam posted:

If you allow ads, you also allow the tracking elements with them that'll follow you around the web and build a profile on you (with a handy google-sanctioned ID verification).
Google already know what google know, but blocking 3rd party advertising at least prevents supersavetokens4u from profiling and storing all your information in a text file on a Windows XP box.

Are youtube ads able to do that as well, or just the typical web page ads?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

Are youtube ads able to do that as well, or just the typical web page ads?
If you follow suit and turn off the blocker on youtube.com/* then yes, absolutely. There's script elements related to the ad that load over the video description, top page banners on your recs page (and elsewhere) and the first square of recommended videos on the right is just a square ad panel

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

the panacea posted:

That's actually a feature. On iOS go to: "you" (bottom right icon of your account) -->then at the top under your account profile pic, it should be the third bubble "incognito mode"

https://imgur.com/a/HfwyS76
Oh thanks, that's cool. Annoyingly, I usually am watching pre-selected content on iPad and the incognito mode would mostly be useful on desktop where I'm clicking random links and searching for random stuff, and it doesn't seem to exist there unless I'm just blind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hifi posted:

I think it's funny that i can block ads.

It is weird when you think about it that you can use the google-owned chrome browser to download an adblocker from the chrome store to block ads on YouTube.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is anyone following William osman? Is he OK?

His shift from goofy, but ostensibly science/engineering based content to just straight up goofy content has been weird to watch.

Nowadays he’s collecting old construction equipment to smash cars in a field, it seems?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

On iOS the “vinegar” safari extension works great so far for YouTube ad blocking. I just use the web instead of their app. Also supports pip!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is anyone following William osman? Is he OK?

His shift from goofy, but ostensibly science/engineering based content to just straight up goofy content has been weird to watch.

Nowadays he’s collecting old construction equipment to smash cars in a field, it seems?

He seemed to have a big break down after he made that video saying that instead of getting an x-ray at a doctors you should just get an x-ray emitter from a junk yard, hook it up to a high voltage power supply, and take pictures using an old camera. A lot of people said how dumb and dangerous that was and he didn't take it very well to the point where he tracked down some commenter and phoned him and had his real name in the video and it was all very odd.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It is weird when you think about it that you can use the google-owned chrome browser to download an adblocker from the chrome store to block ads on YouTube.

Which is why google is planning to make all adblockers in chrome lovely, by getting rid of the ability to block resources and network calls with arbitrary dynamic filters. Whenever they stop delaying the Manifest V2 sunset.

I've been kinda speculating that this youtube stuff might be related to that. Like, they're laying a defense against whatever EU regulator comes after them for abusing their Chrome monopoly by saying "No it's not about ads at all, see we already got rid of adblocking on youtube! This is totally for user safety!"

Boxturret posted:

He seemed to have a big break down after he made that video saying that instead of getting an x-ray at a doctors you should just get an x-ray emitter from a junk yard, hook it up to a high voltage power supply, and take pictures using an old camera. A lot of people said how dumb and dangerous that was and he didn't take it very well to the point where he tracked down some commenter and phoned him and had his real name in the video and it was all very odd.

hahahahaha lmao

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

priznat posted:

On iOS the “vinegar” safari extension works great so far for YouTube ad blocking. I just use the web instead of their app. Also supports pip!

Also, you can set it to audio only and have it play outside the app or when the screen is off. It's amazing for saving battery and data.

It would be great if it had sponsorblock too.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Boxturret posted:

God, YouTube is just the best.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
watching that DIY x-ray video and I'm not even halfway through and :staredog:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Boxturret posted:

what in the absolute gently caress

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That sounds like it should require a takedown except for the fact that there’s probably a vanishingly small number of people who would actually go through with a diy X-ray machine.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
That huge convention he put on also seemed to push his mental health deep into the red. I don't often watch his content but a few videos about that popped up and it looked like the stress was getting to him.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Aaronicon posted:

That huge convention he put on also seemed to push his mental health deep into the red. I don't often watch his content but a few videos about that popped up and it looked like the stress was getting to him.

Sounds like him and reality aren't talking to each other any more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He and his wife also just had a baby so yikes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I checked his channel, and he barely made anything the last year. Is there another place on teh interwebs where he melted down?

--edit: Oh, he has a secondary channel. nvm.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Combat Pretzel posted:

I checked his channel, and he barely made anything the last year. Is there another place on teh interwebs where he melted down?

--edit: Oh, he has a secondary channel. nvm.

He made the X-ray video, made a video attacking people saying how dangerous it was, then made a big crying video about how everyone is so mean to him, them basically went silent for about a year outside of a video about him making some barely functional squibs for that awful mr beast squid game video.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
it's 15 bucks a month for premium why are people acting like it's some human rights violation lol

everyone just expected that everything would be "free" (paid for by the fed's infinite free money printer) until inflation started kicking up and they had to shut it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
wow only $15 a month to be constantly recommended mr beast and linus videos thank you google what a bargain