Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alan Wake 2 has some amazing visuals. Not just fidelity but design, like early on you're walking Saga through a Threshold and the world is constantly shifting around you between the woods and a subway tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really want to play AW2 but am flat broke til like march so I’m going to ask the thread not to talk about it so I don’t accidentally spoil something

E: thanks a lot jerk

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Alan Wake 2 has some amazing visuals. Not just fidelity but design, like early on you're walking Saga through a Threshold and the world is constantly shifting around you between the woods and a subway tunnel.

Definitely a lot of it coming from Control.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TontoCorazon posted:

Definitely a lot of it coming from Control.

My brother was watching me play early on and when you first return to Cauldron Lake I said to him how I wouldn't be surprised if the Federal Bureau of Control showed up soon. Lo and behold one of the people you run into there is a guy from the FBC.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm chipping away at Cyberpunk. I was jumping across some roofs, being a weirdo and Johnny appears suddenly and goes, "Aw poo poo..."
I look around and see a corpse with a weapon and a data drive that is the office escape scene from The Matrix.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

My brother was watching me play early on and when you first return to Cauldron Lake I said to him how I wouldn't be surprised if the Federal Bureau of Control showed up soon. Lo and behold one of the people you run into there is a guy from the FBC.

They're all over that area, they've even set up research stations around the caldera

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
them connecting control's universe directly to the Alan Wake universe was inspired tbqh, it makes me love both so much more

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It’s a real shame rockstar owns max payne so we have to make do with Alex Casey.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

It’s a real shame rockstar owns max payne so we have to make do with Alex Casey.

Yeah, they would've for sure used Max

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
isnt it hinted that Max is just a character that Alan killed off in one of his novels?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alex Casey is pretty clearly intended to just be Max Payne with a different name. In the first game it's pretty blunt about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is super clear seeing as Alex Casey is physically Sam Lake with the voice of James McCaffrey aka what they did in Max Payne 1.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's a bit in Control that says Max is an actual version of Alex Casey, just in an alternate universe, which is a pretty cute way of alluding to the rights issue.

As to Alex Casey being in this game, I have no idea what to think yet since I haven't gone beyond the fat old naked man prologue :iiam:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's a bit in Control that says Max is an actual version of Alex Casey, just in an alternate universe, which is a pretty cute way of alluding to the rights issue.

As to Alex Casey being in this game, I have no idea what to think yet since I haven't gone beyond the fat old naked man prologue :iiam:

You're in for a treat very soon

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

It is super clear seeing as Alex Casey is physically Sam Lake with the voice of James McCaffrey aka what they did in Max Payne 1.

lmao he is actually in the game now? like the character has been manifested as an AWE kinda deal?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sally posted:

lmao he is actually in the game now? like the character has been manifested as an AWE kinda deal?

It's literally "Sam Lake".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sally posted:

He is Saga Anderson's partner, who is extremely annoyed because Alan Wake's book character has the same name as him and nobody lets him forget it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
alan wake 2 leans way more into horror than the first game but my favorite example of it isn't the blood or jumpscares, it's saga's "profiling" skill. she's basically a clairvoyant who can suss out people's secrets once she's gathered enough ancillary information, and when the skill is activated, the game portrays it by surrounding her with flickering manifestations of her suspects who whisper to her in an ominous lifeless monotone. it's a wonderfully eerie effect

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I usually hate horror games but love the control universe and metaphysical stuff, is alan wake 2 a game I can play or is it just... Mostly scary?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's still very much survival horror, taking a lot of cues from the most recent third-person Resident Evils. But it has Remedy's unique aesthetic and sense of humor. I'm only 3 chapters in and the scary stuff has been a bit of a slow burn so far.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I wish I wasn't such a big baby about horror, because the game sounds very cool

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

He is Saga Anderson's partner, who is extremely annoyed because Alan Wake's book character has the same name as him and nobody lets him forget it.

It is funny when (very early spoilers) Alan is found and introduced to Casey and kind of freaks out while Casey is just irritated by it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Y'all are making me antsy to get home and play. Gotta get discharged from the hospital and get Mom and baby situated first

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Alan Wake 2 just shot up in my list of games i want to play. glad to hear theyve leaned onto the Control extended universe

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Len posted:

Y'all are making me antsy to get home and play. Gotta get discharged from the hospital and get Mom and baby situated first

You weren't playing it while she was delivering? A shameful goon

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
Loved control but watched a let’s play of Alan wake and it did not seem like game I would have enjoyed playing myself. Which way does Alan wake 2 lean?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

You weren't playing it while she was delivering? A shameful goon

I was not :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Len posted:

I was not :(

Talk about being cucked!!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man I wish I wasn't such a big baby about horror, because the game sounds very cool

:same:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Remedy always wins, even when it comes to their easter eggs

Six years ago:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuspiciousElegantMacaroniMau5

Yesterday:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PrettyNurturingMoonPartyTime-NXAksWotHoAXjO05

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GenSpecific posted:

Loved control but watched a let’s play of Alan wake and it did not seem like game I would have enjoyed playing myself. Which way does Alan wake 2 lean?

It is definitely way more Control than Alan Wake 1.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

She and I are now comfortably settled on the couch playing the game. She's here for moral support

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Go home and be a family Len

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

I was home! Mom was taking a nap so me and the baby were playing games. Now she's awake and eating and mom took over the TV

Switch stays winning?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
is Alan Wake 1 any good?

I've put like three hours into it, and other than being impressed by the graphics for the time, I find the game tedious and not much fun. Combat isn't fun at all, just an annoying thing to get through; Alan's constant monologues are okay for now but I think it's about to get really annoying. His name annoys me, because I know it has something to do with "A. Wake" and I'm just getting my eyes ready for that roll moment.

I never really hear why anyone likes Alan Wake so much, other than it's "very good." Nobody seems like the combat, though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

credburn posted:

is Alan Wake 1 any good?

I never really hear why anyone likes Alan Wake so much, other than it's "very good." Nobody seems like the combat, though.
The only Remedy games with good combat are the first two Max Payne games. What Remedy never fails at is mood and feeling, which Alan Wake has in spades.

They are always playing with different genres of pulpy stories, but it always feels like a love letter rather than something they are above or embarrassed about.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

credburn posted:

is Alan Wake 1 any good?

I've put like three hours into it, and other than being impressed by the graphics for the time, I find the game tedious and not much fun. Combat isn't fun at all, just an annoying thing to get through; Alan's constant monologues are okay for now but I think it's about to get really annoying. His name annoys me, because I know it has something to do with "A. Wake" and I'm just getting my eyes ready for that roll moment.

The quality parts are mostly the writing and atmosphere, yeah. How do you feel about stuff like Stephen King novels and Twin Peaks? Because it's really trying to tap into stuff like that and if that's not your thing, there's not too much there for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i loved alan wake gameplay from the get go