Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Everyone's hands shake, you just have to learn how to minimize them even temporarily. Relax and breath calmly (don't hold your breath), anchor your hands on a table or together, learn how to hold a brush without a death grip that tightens all the muscles in your arm. Etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I also have a hard time with highlights and even straight lines, my hands shake sometimes

Yeah, I've got Essential Tremors so edge highlighting is rough for me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Where possible, which is most places TBH, you want to use the edge of your brush to edge highlight, trying to run the tip along the end will result in frustration. Paint consistency matters for this also, I still don't always get it right, but it's just a matter of practice.

Sometimes for really small details like say eyes/pupils I will use my hand shaking to apply the paint. Basically moving my hand the final few mms to time the shake for paint application. This isn't all the time for me but sometimes I am wanting to detail paint but my body isn't as chill as it could be.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
RE: Speedpaint chat

These two models were painted with speedpaints (though in 15mm and done with Vallejo Xpress ones).

The marine on the left was just speedpaint, metals, and I think I did one pass highlighting the white accents. The ork took twice as long, with a wash and highlights of the base colors. These are insanely zoomed in and at tabletop distance the difference is negligible. Guess which method I stopped doing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That marine looks amazing for 15mm

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Painted these weird little guys

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I finished another Neophyte. I've got another like 90% finished asides from his shotgun. 2 at a time is definitely a good pace for me. I really took my time with them and I'm really happy with him :v:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shoehead posted:

I finished another Neophyte. I've got another like 90% finished asides from his shotgun. 2 at a time is definitely a good pace for me. I really took my time with them and I'm really happy with him :v:

Skin/head looks good, and I like the colour scheme.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

i really wish i liked shatterpoint more because these little colorful weirdos are so characterful

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Finished painting some more mechs

Also had a chance to take some close ups of the freehand on the Warmaster.

And reposting some better quality shots of the big guy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I saw the battletech and went eh, and then saw the titan and went :tviv:

so I guess i just don't like the design of the battletech ones themselves. One day I'll be that good at painting lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
these rule, Z

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I saw the battletech and went eh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cease to Hope posted:

these rule, Z

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Those are some excellent robits, friend

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
battletech rules

i finished some tanks for my own pirate battletech force

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chill la Chill posted:

Love these nasty lil dudes

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I saw the battletech and went eh, and then saw the titan and went :tviv:

so I guess i just don't like the design of the battletech ones themselves. One day I'll be that good at painting lol

To be fair the titan is by far a superior model compared to the mechs. Details are sharper, details make more sense, actually subassembled for painting etc. The mechs are nigh impossible to make perfect though which makes it easier for me to do an "eh good enough" job on them.

That titan took nearly 2 years to finish as I kept losing my motivation. The mechs took about 2 weeks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

To be fair the titan is by far a superior model compared to the mechs. Details are sharper, details make more sense, actually subassembled for painting etc. The mechs are nigh impossible to make perfect though which makes it easier for me to do an "eh good enough" job on them.

That titan took nearly 2 years to finish as I kept losing my motivation. The mechs took about 2 weeks.

Your "eh, good enough" blows most people's best out of the water.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

No, all I was saying is it was the models were not as exciting as the Titan

I went back to look at the mechs and thought it was good too, better that what I could do

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

RE: Speedpaint chat

These two models were painted with speedpaints (though in 15mm and done with Vallejo Xpress ones).

The marine on the left was just speedpaint, metals, and I think I did one pass highlighting the white accents. The ork took twice as long, with a wash and highlights of the base colors. These are insanely zoomed in and at tabletop distance the difference is negligible. Guess which method I stopped doing.

You have a source on that marine? I upscaled epic not-marines and they look pretty awful, and everything I tried to down-scale ended up too fragile. I'd love to have 15 mm marines I can print.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cease to Hope posted:

i really wish i liked shatterpoint more because these little colorful weirdos are so characterful

That's a shame, I love the cartoonish sculpts. It's nice that it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously and has a solid ruleset.

w00tmonger posted:

Love these nasty lil dudes

The best part is the robot is doing the robot!!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

You have a source on that marine? I upscaled epic not-marines and they look pretty awful, and everything I tried to down-scale ended up too fragile. I'd love to have 15 mm marines I can print.

Print this at half scale

https://cults3d.com/en/users/Mukksticky/3d-models

Might work?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

That's a shame, I love the cartoonish sculpts. It's nice that it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously and has a solid ruleset.

no knock on the game or the models. i'm just not into filoni-era star wars expanded universe stuff so a lot of this stuff just misses me entirely, and i'm skeptical of AMG's ability to manage power creep. i'd have to be excited enough for it to start a community on my own, and, eh, :effort:

and also

e: oh yeah, and darth vader only being available in a special boxed set for $90 that has two miniatures in it kinda left a lasting negative impression

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 27, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

Finished painting some more mechs

Due to the paint scheme, my brain originally registered these as Tau and then I saw the King Crab and I think I bluescreened for 3-4 seconds.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

By this designer: https://cults3d.com/en/users/Udos3DWorld/3d-models

But unfortunately he's pulled all his designs because I think he got slapped by GW. Keep an eye on it though because he claims he'll reupload unproblematic files at some point.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

no knock on the game or the models. i'm just not into filoni-era star wars expanded universe stuff so a lot of this stuff just misses me entirely, and i'm skeptical of AMG's ability to manage power creep. i'd have to be excited enough for it to start a community on my own, and, eh, :effort:

and also

e: oh yeah, and darth vader only being available in a special boxed set for $90 that has two miniatures in it kinda left a lasting negative impression

To be fair, the Darth / Obi Wan thing is marketed as a diorama, that they also threw cards in for the models if you wanted to use them. There's "Normal Box" Darth coming per the roadmap, and that was known when that was released.

I'm really, really liking Shatterpoint. I never played MCP, so if that game got wonky over time, I hope they keep it out of SP, but for now, it's a really, really good time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

and also

If you don't like Shatterpoint there's always the OG Epic Duels.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'd love to collect and paint some Shatterpoint, but man, I dunno if it's just Ireland or what but those prices are out of my range. And I'm already paying GW's premium on plastic mens.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Shoehead posted:

I'd love to collect and paint some Shatterpoint, but man, I dunno if it's just Ireland or what but those prices are out of my range. And I'm already paying GW's premium on plastic mens.

Yeah, the minis are at the price point of old x-wing. You don't need many minis but you can't buy them individually. There was a big sale in the US recently which is when I hopped on.

Cease to Hope posted:

and also

Yeah, more than fair. I used to play infinity and that was too complicated, then I thought maybe kill team was the answer but that's also too complicated. Warcry was the answer and I did like painting my tiny mans and playing that a bit, but this has a community here. I'm just playing to push neat looking minis around with a simple ruleset. Powercreep isn't as much of a concern since I doubt there's gonna be huge tournaments for this game. (don't mention the abstraction of LOS to grognards though, true LOS is a huge contention point for people who can't think of any other rulesets)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Chill la Chill posted:

(don't mention the abstraction of LOS to grognards though, true LOS is a huge contention point for people who can't think of any other rulesets)

Either I'm misreading you, or I suddenly feel extremely old. TLOS is still 'that new dumb fad' to me.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I threw a card behind this guy and suddenly all my colours looked OK to my tired eyes. One more Squaddie left and I've... uh finished my first squad ever, asides from my Jackals.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Powercreep isn't as much of a concern since I doubt there's gonna be huge tournaments for this game. (don't mention the abstraction of LOS to grognards though, true LOS is a huge contention point for people who can't think of any other rulesets)

I am pretty groggy but I love abstracted LOS. It's so much nicer, especially at the 40mm-ish scale of Conquest, Shatterpoint, and MCP, where you have enough room to get really wild with the poses and movement, or build mini-diorama bases. I don't love that 40K currently penalizes you for having random stuff sticking out over the edge of the base, or that the Old World is going back to WHFB-style densely packed bases (as opposed to Conquest's better-spaced movement tray bases).

What has me concerned about power creep in Shatterpoint is what's going to happen when people have enough Clone Trooper or Mandalorian or Separatist or whatever faction characters to have everyone stacking synergies. Right now most factions have about 2/3 of your team all stacking into synergies and I do wonder what happens when it's all of your team.

Likewise, damage seems to be very binary. I do like that it's padded wifflebats and everyone gets multiple lives but it's already edging up to where some primaries routinely one-shot supports and some secondaries. What happens when it's most secondaries? Or some primaries, or any unit without defensive tech? MCP ended up creeping up and up and up, so much so that they just did a soft reset of the characters in the new starter. And, again, can't help but notice one of the characters in the leading edge of lethality is that Darth Vader in a $90 box, with lots of keywords that will hook into future Imperial/Sith synergies. His card appears to only be in that box, too.

Maybe it's sour grapes and I'm being unnecessarily pessimistic. In any event, this definitely isn't the game balance thread, lol

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
To the Goon that was having grief about Army Painter spray primer recently I saw that they've issued a recall for a batch due to defects.

Might be worth yelling at them.

Army Painter posted:

The Army Painter is currently issuing a public sales recall for CP3001S Colour Primer: Matt Black batch 13/07/2023.

The recalled product has been deemed defective due to signs of cracking with a white shade when drying. This is especially noticeable while using a heavy application of the spray primer. If you’ve experienced this issue, it is important that you follow these guidelines so that we can best assist you with this matter:

Keep the Colour Primer but do not use.
Keep your models or other and do not try to fix the problem.
We will get back to you shortly (2—3 working days).
Please email: recall1023@thearmypainter.com

It is always our goal to do right by our customers and we appreciate your understanding as we work to correct this for you – our loyal fans and customers.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It's probably worth contacting them any time you have a problem. I got the wrong shade of green in a starter pack and, after emailing contact@thearmypainter.com just to mention it, they just offered to send me the right one or refund the cost of a bottle.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally finished a Forgefiend I've been working on for what seems like forever because I kept getting distracted. Learned that SpeedPaint Metallics are not great for doing trim like this on the quantity. Caused way more work for myself.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Old Grenadier bone dragon I feel pretty good about!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
today was a big day for me i painted my first mini at a class

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Hell yeah that's a very big day indeed, welcome.

Project: Chonky Raptors now has a squad leader, one more regular bolt pistol and chainsword raptor to go and I'll have all 5 Legionary body Raptors done and then I'll do the Raptor bodies and see how they mesh together side by side.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Nothing to see, fellow Imperiumers. Just having a daemon prance in this here grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
::Tiptoe Through the Tulips begins playing menacingly::