Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

my dude they just made an interim heavyweight title fight, i read it in a tweet about 2 minutes ago as i type this, and i can't name either of the people fighting for it and i'm a mostly detached ex fan. imagine a casual viewer

Casuals know names, not weight classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Scapegoat posted:

It's not though, Jones has fought one guy in the top 5, I'd like to see him fight all the others with Stipe probably being the least interesting fight given his age. Yes the division still has a bunch of fat one trick ponies but it's not like they JDS / Cain days when there were no options for title fights.

My contention is not that Bones has cleared the division, it's that the division has few fighters that provide any level of challenge to Jones that would make for an interesting fight. Aspinall makes news articles here in England cos he's British, that's the only reason I could name him at all. Pavlovich's record is not like abysmal, but he also has a total of zero takedowns landed and a 75% takedown defense. He's not got the Ngannou punch of death, he's not a wrestling threat. What's he gonna bring to the table against a big long eye poking dirty fighter like Jon Jones who is gonna take his eye out of its socket and then trip him and choke him like he's a toddler.

Stipe at least has an exceptional winning record, is well rounded, and has trained himself against body shots by eating gravel.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 26, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jon Jones Vs an actual toddler would be a better watch if anything. Most people wouldn't attack a child, but Jon Jones would punt that thing over the cage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Jon Jones Vs an actual toddler would be a better watch if anything. Most people wouldn't attack a child, but Jon Jones would punt that thing over the cage.

Nc eye poke

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

A toddlers knees aren't fully formed so the oblique kicks might either be too effective or not effective enough

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

jones apoplectic in the ring, arguing that the 12 to 6 elbows he was doing to the fontanel were 100% going from 1 to 7 as he's dq'd for a second time

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's a foul, Jones loses again, toddler relegates Matt Hamill to annals of UFC history.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The only remotely interesting heavyweight title matches are jones vs Stipe or Jones vs Pavlovich, and I only have any faith that Jones/Pavlovich will be remotely competitive.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think jones retires before he fights someone that isn't a big draw with a puncher's chance.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jones vs Stipe wasn't really about the heavyweight division, it's about name value and Jones/Stipe wanting to be considered the best UFC heavyweight ever. There's a reason they immediately plotted the rescheduling rather than even entertaining the idea of either dude fighting Pavlovich. We're pretty firmly in the Couture/Nogueira, Bisping/Whittaker territory where there are going to be two champions, where one is the real champion and the other is the vanity champion who's around for a good time instead of a long time.

Also, that whole "PFLW" thing from a couple months ago is, as it turns out, going to be an entirely separate organization where all the women go, meaning PFL's main seasons will no longer promote women's fights.

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1717661692019024101

I wonder which side will get more fights scheduled.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
And now we'll never see Jones Ngannou either. At least not in MMA

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

probably the PWFL won't pay $1,000,000 either.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i think jones retires before he fights someone that isn't a big draw with a puncher's chance.

One thing Jones isn't though is a coward when it comes to fighting people.

Dude took on guys like Gustafson just doing blow and partying. He's not one to duck.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he needed to top up his retirement fund after being on the shelf so long.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

One of the worst things about Jones is that he's actually as good as he thinks he is, and has been for basically his entire career.

Conor is the same, but Conor was only as good as he thinks he is in the Eddie Alvarez fight, and that fight alone.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
If connor stuck to 145 he'd still be champ

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nierbo posted:

If connor stuck to 145 he'd still be champ

I think he hit his ceiling pretty quick. There’s no way he could take Volk. I could see him matadoring Max if he stayed in shape.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Conor might have hung around for longer at FW, but I don't think he would have been able to hold out the mature Holloway we've seen for the last 5 years or Volk who's at this point the best 145 pounder in history. There's a reason why Conor who poo poo talks everyone regularly just says "well done sir" when it comes to Volk.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah good point. Volk would out tough him

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Conor might have hung around for longer at FW, but I don't think he would have been able to hold out the mature Holloway we've seen for the last 5 years or Volk who's at this point the best 145 pounder in history. There's a reason why Conor who poo poo talks everyone regularly just says "well done sir" when it comes to Volk.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1700712033467924931

do not ever underestimate how many cocaine tweets conor mcgregor has made

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE FC Friday!!!
25minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0h79WYQIOc

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Peak Max would have the cardio and chin to weather the storm with Conor and put him away. Volk dictates every minute of a fight with Conor.

An actual fight with Aldo would have been ridiculously interesting. It's extremely iconic and changed MMA forever, but that KO denied us what could have been an all time great fight. Ifs, buts and maybe and all that.

If Conor stuck to 145, he'd still have dropped two to Dustin, probably have a torrid time with Edgar and in my headcanon, he loses to TKZ.

Conor was real loving good though, don't get me wrong

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Thanks for posting this every week. I don't watch enough to know the fighters yet, but the action is always good.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Man ONE is good at finding impressively powerful 16 year olds

coathat
May 21, 2007

Amazing things are happening in Thailand

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
PetGarfield vs Numpangna just happened - it reminded me of Griffin v Bonnar for the first TUF winner, which I have as the greatest fight ever. Haven't seen two fighters biting down and going for it the entire time like that in ages. Make an effort to see this one. I was imagining if I was the ref of this fight, I'd be clapping for them after the final bell, and that's what ended up happening.

edit: both fighters got the $350,000 Baht bonus, and they also gave the translator the same bonus. That's awesome.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 27, 2023

coathat
May 21, 2007

Amazing fight both fighters got bonuses and then Chatri gives a bonus to the translator for being the best in the business.

ONE Friday Fights is hands down the best show in combat sports history.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

coathat posted:

Amazing fight both fighters got bonuses and then Chatri gives a bonus to the translator for being the best in the business.

ONE Friday Fights is hands down the best show in combat sports history.

That's a strange way to spell fight circus

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

LobsterMobster posted:

:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren:

Invicta FC 54: McCormack vs Wojcik

Oh hello. Is it time for your quarterly Invicta check-in already? Time sure does fly, doesn’t it? Let’s see what the premier all-women’s MMA organization has on store for this card.

Danni “Mac” McCormack defends the Strawweight title against Karolina Wojcik. This is a very surprising fight, mostly for the fact that McCormack has not yet dropped the belt in the trash en route to a UFC contract. I mean, she’s Irish and everything!

Danni took the belt against me-favorite “Tina Black” Valesca Machado back in March by a solid unanimous decision. On that same card, Wojcik was edging out Ediana Silva by split decision, one fight removed from losing in a vacant title bout against Machado in 2022.

In the co-main event Valesca Machado (Everyone simply cannot stop talking about her because I won’t let them!) takes on Kalindra Faria. Faria was last seen on the global stage losing to triangle armbar to Joanne Wood in 2018, and last notched a victory over a then 3-0 Dina da Silva in 2022. Hopefully Shannon Knapp has read my letters that say “let tina black beat people up more” and this is her answer.

The rest of the card is solid enough. Kristina “Warhorse” Williams looks to rule rear end over Combate Global legend Dee Begley. Hilarie Rose brings a 6-6 record, with those six wins coming over fighters who are currently a combined 9-28 up against 3-2 Andrea Amarao (Those 3 ladies are 4-13 right now. Yeeps!) Riley Martinez takes on the accomplished judoka, German sumo champion and TV news presenter Julia Dorny. I am so glad I got to type that last sentence, MMA is so weird.

The card starts off with “Sweet” Maria Djukic taking on Fernanda Araujo. Araujo is only 2-3 as a pro, but she has amateur fights with Pam Sorenson and Peggy Morgan dating back ten years ago. You may remember Peggy Morgan from TUF 18 (to quote Carl, JESUS CHRIST)

This is on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DDbYDzoMkI

coathat
May 21, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

That's a strange way to spell fight circus

Sorry but head to head ONE has much better children fighting than fight circus

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
That invicta card sucked. Maybe I didn't have the context or something.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nierbo posted:

There's your context.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I deeply love Invicta, but if you're not really, really into MMA, those cards can be rough watches these days.

They used to be better, but Invicta has fallen on some hard loving times. Even just a few years ago they were still a great hotbed for women's talent and you've still got a few real good fighters there, but between bigger companies picking them clean of talent and their own internal strife meaning they're down to just barely managing four events a year, it ain't what it used to be.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Makes one yearn for the glory days of Michelle Waterson beating up Japanese grandmas

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Part of the appeal of Invicta is nostalgia for simpler times

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Looks like ONE is running a show in America next year using their standard rule set

https://twitter.com/erikmagraken/status/1718325959726969327

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Expect some big moves from Dana to be able to afford this

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyytBnvPLcA/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ngannou's big boxing payday is starting now. I hope he lands something other than the millions of dollars he's taking home. It will be very funny if he lands even one good punch, not that I expect it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ngannou doing well through the first. Nice body work, hes getting hit a whole lot though.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Yeah he looks like a competent boxer. Fury is much better obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I assume he's gonna gas in the middle rounds and get tkod but he's honestly looking pretty good so far