Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
made me thirsty but i didn't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

crispix posted:

i once found a big lump of flavouring salt in a bag of cheese and onion mccoys and i ate it :hehe:

brave crisponaut

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ready salted McCoys are the only good ready salted crisp and I wish they weren’t only available in the tiny little multipack bags

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Ready Salted Squares are a snack I would commit crimes to get in Grab Bag form. But no, we get lovely 20g multipack bags that last about 20 seconds in my presence.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I recall as a youth that Nik Naks had a promotional offer for a badge that said “My Nik Naks are Nice and Spicy” which I proudly wore and thought the height of double entendre amusement

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Dont buy these from Amazon (get the from the Coop instead for like £1 a giant pack)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Cross-Pickled-Onion-12x150g/dp/B07TF9KYHM

I swear to gently caress it's like someone from health and safety said "bugger it" to the picked onion flavour limiter.

My mouth is starting to water at the memory of their deliciousness.

The "spicy tomato" flavour of the same brand is pretty much just the flaming hot Monster Munch flavour and it's just as lovely. They're also the brand that makes Johnny's Onion rings, probably the best onion ring crisp out there.

I get a bag of each, pour them into one bowl and just go to town.

As for best salt and vinegar, it's a toss-up between Squares and co-op's sea salt and chardonnay wine. Squares have ta nice timeless flavour, but those co-op crisps, poo poo, they have a kick. It's not as strong as the powder in the bottom of a packet of Disco's but imagine every crisp being not far off it.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I can't stop buying Coop Salt & Pepper Chips, they're empty cuboid tubes which means they're mostly air and that means it's OK that I can blast through the big sharing bag in one go solo, right?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Scampi fries > scampi niknaks
Those bacon ones they do are not a patch on frazzles.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Here is some good news to cheer the thread right up

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1718186473768259657

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

OzyMandrill posted:

Scampi fries > scampi niknaks
Those bacon ones they do are not a patch on frazzles.

Cheese Moments > Bacon Fries > Scampi Fries.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i guess we arent talking about it but I'm glad monica belluci didnt get in trouble cos I dont think theyre a troll or a bad person. probably just an awkward misfire. good people gently caress up all the time.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

TACD posted:

Here is some good news to cheer the thread right up

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1718186473768259657

For my poppy watch, I saw someone with a metal poppy zip today. It was very strange.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Was there a muppet first world war?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Was there a muppet first world war?

Yeah, it was when the perfidious Hun thought he could stand against Albion & her allies baddum tish

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The real reason that Sunak and Starmer want controls on AI is that it can create more powerfully patriotic images than they could ever be bothered to make in their own time, and so they have no way to counter the impact of

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Don't forget the clocks go back at 3am to 2am.
Time for confusion tomorrow as half my things automatically change and half don't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i guess we arent talking about it but I'm glad monica belluci didnt get in trouble cos I dont think theyre a troll or a bad person. probably just an awkward misfire. good people gently caress up all the time.

Wait Monica wasn't probated for that? Not even a sixer?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay looked back and an external mod had to come in probate that.

gently caress's sake I appreciate light moderation in this thread generally but it's embarrassing we have two IKs and somehow the person suggesting the Holocaust was justified had to be punished externally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Wait Monica wasn't probated for that? Not even a sixer?

If they want to attempt to argue that they were justified in doing it I'm pushing straight for a ban. But otherwise I personally haven't ever found probations to be a particularly effective communication tool. I would rather just reply to people. I don't really understand why mods appear to use them as a method of replying to people.

If you want to report them for a ban anyway then that's entirely up to you. Essentially my rationale is that if they want to apologise they can, you're not obligated to accept it and I think it's fairly clear that they won't be tolerated if that's the sort of thing they sincerely think.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's a fair assessment but I feel it only applies if you or Guava were providing a timely response to suggest that what they said wasn't okay - as you saw there was pretty decent pushback from thread regulars, but no IK response gives the (IMO unfair) impression to others that we think that kind of poo poo is just a funny thing thread posters can say to be edgy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said I was out all day, haven't been on the forums, so you wouldn't have gotten a timely response either way I'm afraid, sorry. As soon as I logged back on that was the first thing I responded to. And I agree yes that everybody else had the proper response which I would hope would give the desired impression to anybody reading.

If you would prefer I probe first and ask questions later in future I can start doing that, though it would not be my preference.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 29, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I appreciate it's very easy for me to backseat IK, given I chose not to request that Sword of Damocles, but I do think that some things are worth being retroactively harsh on.

Like I said, D&D mods had to specifically break the rule of not interfering in regional politics threads to probate Monica because what they said was so egregious. I'm not saying probe first and ask questions later so much as probe the person saying the Holocaust was justified.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
In the spirit of the UK Marxism Thread, our IKs are volunteers and aren't being paid a penny and are doing these additional duties on top of living their lives, so give them a break, imho.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*slamming fist onto the desk* no

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

More seriously I'm not saying that the current IKs are culpable or anything I'm just saying that this thread having someone say that Hitler had the right idea and having to be punished externally because of no IK intervention is, to me, a bad sign and likely to cause the mods to decide that IKs aren't sufficient for this thread.

I really don't want that, so my pushback here it to protect the current moderation status of the thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose I would view the probe button as the conversational equivalent of a tazer, something you use to temporarily incapacitate someone rather than talking to them and not something it is useful to use just for emphasis. So if someone is repeatedly making GBS threads up the thread then yes, but one post that they got immediately blasted for, seems performative but performative things can still be valuable so I can do that in future. I would tend to view being told to gently caress off by everybody as the more relevant punishment than anything I can do.

As I said I sincerely hope that was just an extremely stupid thing to say and that the first thing they say if they come back is an apology. If you still want them out of the thread after that I can try to facilitate that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 29, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess I do side on the basis of performative at least in remembering we are a thread in a subforum of an overall forum, and the perception that we allow genocidal posting can have knock-on effects.

And look, I know I often make posts that are over a line and get called out for it, and if I deserve it I will hopefully walk back what I said, but the problem was that the thread then descended into a bit of a wild argument.

Again, I'm not trying to backseat mod so much as worry that a non-IK mod felt the need to pop in here and take action.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
so one person said something daft, namely that the nazis were right, they've been punished

we can move on now i think

:butt:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
true what they say, you always get one

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Extremely funny that in the thread for thoughtful left wing viewpoints someone posted “you gotta love Hitler” and got away with it lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I rest my case :negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really know that being told to gently caress off by basically everybody constitutes "getting away with it" and I again don't really understand why probations have more significance than that. They're functionally the same thing. Me telling somebody to gently caress off using the probation button means exactly the same thing as telling them via a post. And whether it's me doing it carries absolutely no more moral weight than anybody else doing it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 29, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really know that being told to gently caress off by basically everybody constitutes "getting away with it" and I again don't really understand why probations have more significance than that. They're functionally the same thing.

It sends a message that the mods are watching, creates an actual, tangible consequence for bad behaviour (if a small one), and creates a permanent record on their rap sheet for future reference and context if they're behaving suspiciously later on.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Gotta say giving an Un-Ironic 'gotta give it to Hitler' the kid gloves is a very bad look.

Not to go all David Baddiel but pretty sure rhetoric like that aimed at another group would not just get a terse 'care to explain yourself'

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 29, 2023

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really know that being told to gently caress off by basically everybody constitutes "getting away with it" and I again don't really understand why probations have more significance than that. They're functionally the same thing. Me telling somebody to gently caress off using the probation button means exactly the same thing as telling them via a post. And whether it's me doing it carries absolutely no more moral weight than anybody else doing it.

This seems pretty sensible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it was somebody I had reason to think was speaking out of momentary foolishness and anger, and who I thought would be quick to recant it upon having it pointed out to them, yes it absolutely would. And that is exactly the approach I have taken even with people I didn't have reason to extend that charity to. I would much prefer to explain why something is wrong to someone and have done so at length.

As I said, I will not tolerate that view held sincerely or trying to justify it. But I want to give people a chance to recant and apologise when I think they ought to. I think that contrition would mean more than any punishment.

I guess the big disconnect is that I view probations as being a tool for engaging with people who do not have any actual concern or respect for the other people in the thread and thus can only be compelled by force. Monica has been posting here a while and has not hitherto given me any reason to think they were a nazi or that just being told why posting that is hosed up, wouldn't affect them. I have to believe that anybody who posts here regularly would give a poo poo about their peers and be affected by their scorn.

I honestly do not want to start using probes to communicate with thread regulars at all because I don't think that is how peers should communicate and I think that doing that is less effective than speaking to people normally. I don't like it when moderators do it to me and it only makes me less likely to respect anything they say as it comes across as pointless grandstanding on their part.

But, if the consensus disagrees I will try to change that approach in future. The point about the utility of the rap sheet is relevant and I can't disagree with that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 29, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As someone who's been given a 6-er - and longer - for less, but on each occasion for something both expected and deserved, I'm cool with internal mods making appropriate choices.
In my case, I've always felt the cause of tasteless humour was worth it, and I can only hope that my peers have either embraced such a view, or been cretinous enough that such nuances have been beyond them.

On an entirely different note, allow me to comment on how loving weird this article about a Spanish princess is, regarding the fact that she's about to turn 18.
Strong 'Charlotte Church is about to turn 18' vibes about the whole thing, and even allowing for the fact it's a mid-weekend puff piece, the author should be put on every sex-pest watchlist going.

:vomarine:

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 29, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I feel like you're overstating the case a bit there. The Charlotte Church stuff was years and years of openly leering at a child's body, the closest this article gets to mentioning her appearance at all is quoting someone talking about how she smiles like her dad does. It's just royalist propaganda, prepping the proles for their new god that's about to be dropped on them whether they like it or not.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Don't like performative modding myself, think the thread's reaction was enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Insanely bad call, but so be it.