Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Platystemon posted:

lol at carriager propaganda

horses weigh 1,000 pounds lol. glad to see anti-bike propaganda has always been completely detached from reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mawarannahr posted:

wait... is car short for carriage??

poo poo

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

The word car didn't come from carriage.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/car#etymonline_v_5353
https://www.donsmobileglass.com/etymology-of-car-from-carrus/

the internet posted:

The etymology of the word car shows that it was derived from the Latin word carrus or carrum. Carrum means a wheeled vehicle.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
however both carriage and car came from the same latin root

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
car comes from carthage and must be destroyed

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2023/10/27/nypd-truck-driver-charged-in-7-year-olds-death

Streetsblog NYC posted:

The NYPD tow truck driver who cops say struck and killed a 7-year-old in Brooklyn on Thursday faces just 30 days behind bars from charges of failure to yield and failure to exercise due care, authorities said on Friday.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mauser posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reminder that murder is legal if you do it behind the wheel of a car and you don't flee the scene.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

withak posted:

Reminder that murder is legal if you do it behind the wheel of a car and you don't flee the scene.

it’s also legal if you do flee now

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mauser posted:

car delenda est

mystes
May 31, 2006

Note that "faces just 30 days behind bars" means that the maximum penalty for the charge that the police say they are considering is 30 days, but that's assuming that 1) the police don't wait a little while and then quietly decide not to file charges and 2) even if they file charges, a jury actually convicts a cop

So realistically it would be more accurate to say "faces absolutely no penalty lmao"

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
went out for a bike ride and saw a car with some pretty young looking kids driving very fast and erratically back and forth up and down the road in front of a large group of young folks in one of the otherwise narrowest and calmest stretches of road in the city. I'm guessing they were trying to do some sort of burn outs or drifting or whatever, but front wheel drive and traction control were getting in the way. Really pathetic stuff. When I heard them coming off in the distance I made sure to get a curb and something heavy in between me and their direction because no loving way am I letting some dipshit kid murder me with a car.

The kids need more fun things to do.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
they could get resident evil village on sale or play tennis imo

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

the kids should play video games on the greatest video game console of all time, the Nintendo Switch

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
good point

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
they could actually do that while driving

https://grabcad.com/library/steering-wheel-mount-for-nintendo-switch-1

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Behold, a master class in how to pretend a car became sentient and kidnapped the occupants

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/pedestrian-hit-by-car-after-verbal-altercation-armstrong-county-state-police-say/2TBBF32HHREBNF4OT2WDO3ECAE/

quote:

Pedestrian hit by car after verbal altercation in Armstrong County, state police say

PARKS TOWNSHIP, Pa. — Pennsylvania State Police are investigating after a car hit a pedestrian after a verbal altercation and fled the scene.

According to state police, the pedestrian crash happened on Lincoln Street in Parks Township on Oct. 11 at around 5:18 p.m.

State police in Kittanning said a female was hit by a car following a verbal altercation between her and the people inside the vehicle.

The car hit the female while leaving the scene. It fled north on Dime Road, state police said.

The pedestrian had minor injuries and refused medical attention.

The vehicle involved was a small tan or gold SUV that had three unidentified white males inside. State police said they’re in their late teens or early 20s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7196110285491506438

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fun ways to punish cyclists:

quote:

License suspended for not paying bicycle fine Ontario, Canada (self.cycling)

Got a ticket on my bicycle last year for not having a light on my bike. Just found out my license is suspended for not paying the fine. From what I’ve read online is bicycle offences aren’t supposed to affect your drivers license. Anyone know more info about this?

quote:

You've answered your own question. The suspension was for non-payment of a fine, not because of the original offense.

Neoliberals think that they’re so loving clever with this horseshit.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The Maroon Hawk posted:

the kids should play video games on the greatest video game console of all time, the Nintendo Switch

Games such as 'Need For Spirit: Drink & Drive Simulator':

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/need-for-spirit-drink-and-drive-simulator-switch/

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Saw a big SUV unceremoniously run right over a squirrel on my ride today. I could see it coming and slowed down to give the little guy a hand wave thinking it was going to dart across the road, but it just froze and sat there for a good few seconds. Absolutely no way the driver couldn't see it, just didn't give enough of a poo poo to even slow down before or after. 22 years of riding and I've seen dead animals littered across the road of course, but I've never seen it happen in front of me. Reminded me of having conversations with people where they talk affectionately about how many fewer bugs hit their windshields on road trips, and you just sit there like :stonklol: yeah it's great man. Animals are in our way, vroom vroom

BeeSeeBee has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Oct 28, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
good news for car haters

quote:

US carmakers are pausing plans to expand their electric vehicle manufacturing capacity, as consumers buy battery-powered cars and trucks at slower rates than expected.
Ford, General Motors and Tesla have all pumped the brakes on expanding EV production capacity in recent weeks. GM will delay building electrified versions of its Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pick-up trucks at a Michigan plant until 2025, instead of next year. Tesla chief executive Elon Musk said his company was studying macroeconomic conditions “before we go full tilt” to open a factory in Mexico.
Ford, which recorded a $1.3bn loss in its electric vehicle division in the third quarter, is now waiting to invest about $12bn to build out EV production capacity. That includes cutting some production of the Mustang Mach-E and delaying construction on one of two joint-venture battery plants planned in the state of Kentucky.
“The narrative has taken over that EVs aren’t growing,” Ford chief financial officer John Lawler said this week. “They’re growing . . . It’s just growing at a slower pace than the industry, and quite frankly, we, expected.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
thoughts?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

good news for car haters

*Looks out window, sees cars everywhere*

Still makes me mad

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Return them to their natural habitat

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Grassy Knowles posted:

it’s also legal if you do flee now

nah they can still track you down but even then you'll get off light:

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/09/crime-watch-followup-life-sentence-for-robb-masons-widow-4-year-sentence-for-his-killer/

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

four years sentence in an american prison is not light. I thought you folks were so called "leftists"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike today

mystes
May 31, 2006

four years sentence in an american prison is not light. I thought you folks were so called "leftists"
I would be okay with him getting life in a Scandinavian prison

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

this bit sucks rear end try something else

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Motorists aren't humans

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

It's just a little over three. He's getting credit for "time served" under house arrest.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

this bit sucks rear end try something else

it's not a bit to be a prison abolitionist sorry

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it's not a bit to be a prison abolitionist sorry

you don't want to abolish prisons more than some other imaginary person who wants it more leftishly than you. idiot.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you don't want to abolish prisons more than some other imaginary person who wants it more leftishly than you. idiot.

please talk normal so i can understand you

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

you first lol

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
if there's no prisosns, where do the motorists go

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

spiritual bypass posted:

if there's no prisosns, where do the motorists go

reeducation, which won't be full of human rights abuses, widespread covid transmission, etc. (btw covid isn't over! and has lifelong consequences of infection!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

reeducation, which won't be full of human rights abuses, widespread covid transmission, etc. (btw covid isn't over! and has lifelong consequences of infection!)

ok cool where's that