Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, it was obviously Saturday. JLU was on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Superman texting Vegeta about "Sundays, amiright"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AlternateNu posted:

The last season of JLU was amazing because it showed the flexibility of the writers room. They were 90% sure they were getting cancelled after the first season which is why it wraps up with the Batman Beyond finale. But instead of just blindly holding course and going "even harder" after getting a surprise green light for another 13 episodes, they go "gently caress it" and retool the show in a silver-age direction while still deftly maintaining the character development of the previous 3 seasons of JL.

Also, it gave us the world of cardboard speech. :v:

Shame it's kind of almost immediately undermined by Darkseid pulling an "I Win" gadget out of his stony rear end and required Lex to save the day(even if admittedly Lex's line about putting on his "power suit" was a good one)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

The last season of JLU was amazing because it showed the flexibility of the writers room. They were 90% sure they were getting cancelled after the first season which is why it wraps up with the Batman Beyond finale. But instead of just blindly holding course and going "even harder" after getting a surprise green light for another 13 episodes, they go "gently caress it" and retool the show in a silver-age direction while still deftly maintaining the character development of the previous 3 seasons of JL.

glad they got another season. i feel "Destroyer" was a much better send off for the series than "Epilogue" was.

quote:

Also, it gave us the world of cardboard speech. :v:

YES. arguably the best moment in not just JL/JLU but any DC animated series. buuuuuuuuuuuuut....i do have two problems with it:

- the first is what drrockso20 already pointed out. that incredible buildup was deflated almost immediately (i have more to say about the absurdity of the agony matrix in a future post)
- this one's admittedly more :goonsay: , but as awesome as that scene is, it doesn't really make too much sense in the context of not just JL, but Superman: TAS as well. remember, darkseid brainwashed superman to be his soldier, and made everyone on earth hate him. understandably, he was pissed. and not only pissed but pissed enough to take some kind of revenge. sure, he didn't wind up killing him when he had the opportunity, but the point is, he didn't look like he was holding back at all. same when he encounters darkseid again when he asked him to help take care of brainiac. and unlike in superman: tas, he was willing to kill him. so intent was he that he scolded batman for trying to stop him afterwards. and yet both those times we saw darkseid fighting equally more or less, not being hilariously outclassed like during the cardboard speech.

basically, i'm just saying that superman was in a state of anger far greater in those two instances than he was in the finale. hell, by the finale it seemed like he even mellowed out a bit, which makes him "unleashing his true power" all the more odd.

in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor complaint to be sure, since the scene is so awesome it's not really too important to quibble about things like accuracy and consistency. just wanted to :goonsay: real quick is all

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 22, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would listen Michael Ironside pontificating villainously all day. :allears:
And Clancy Brown. Too bad their back-and-forth was so short.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Interweb posted:

glad they got another season. i feel "Destroyer" was a much better send off for the series than "Epilogue" was.

YES. arguably the best moment in not just JL/JLU but any DC animated series. buuuuuuuuuuuuut....i do have two problems with it:

- the first is what drrockso20 already pointed out. that incredible buildup was deflated almost immediately (i have more to say about the absurdity of the agony matrix in a future post)
- this one's admittedly more :goonsay: , but as awesome as that scene is, it doesn't really make too much sense in the context of not just JL, but Superman: TAS as well. remember, darkseid brainwashed superman to be his soldier, and made everyone on earth hate him. understandably, he was pissed. and not only pissed but pissed enough to take some kind of revenge. sure, he didn't wind up killing him when he had the opportunity, but the point is, he didn't look like he was holding back at all. same when he encounters darkseid again when he asked him to help take care of brainiac. and unlike in superman: tas, he was willing to kill him. so intent was he that he scolded batman for trying to stop him afterwards. and yet both those times we saw darkseid fighting equally more or less, not being hilariously outclassed like during the cardboard speech.

basically, i'm just saying that superman was in a state of anger far greater in those two instances than he was in the finale. hell, by the finale it seemed like he even mellowed out a bit, which makes him "unleashing his true power" all the more odd.

in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor complaint to be sure, since the scene is so awesome it's not really too important to quibble about things like accuracy and consistency. just wanted to :goonsay: real quick is all

Darkseid's Agony Matrix is a power Darkseid has in the comics as well, though there it's normally through his Omega Beams rather than an AoE. He can just shoot you with them and cause you to feel the most horrible pain. Darkseid is more powerful than Supes. There is a reason he just got right back up after the speech and won the fight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Darkseid's Agony Matrix is a power Darkseid has in the comics as well, though there it's normally through his Omega Beams rather than an AoE. He can just shoot you with them and cause you to feel the most horrible pain. Darkseid is more powerful than Supes. There is a reason he just got right back up after the speech and won the fight.

I think the problem people have with it mainly is that, aside from just immediately deflating Superman's really cool moment, the Agony Matrix is a move that (in the show) we've never seen before. In the DCAU Darkseid is kind of a one-trick pony... well, like 3 tricks (those being has big armies, is real strong, Omega beams) so having him bust out this new power is kind of a "man, this is bullshit" moment.

I mean you can justify it by saying that technically Darkseid's supposed to be merged with Brainiac by then so he should be more powerful, or by the aforementioned "well he has it in comics" but in the context of the episode it just feels very out of nowhere.

Mr Interweb posted:

well of course, anything would have been a better send off than Epilogue was :colbert:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 23, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Coincidentally I've been making my way through Superman The Animated Series for the first time (well, I've been watching it on and off for most of the year and I'm only now getting close to finishing the first season). It's really good, just a really lovely aesthetic object on every level, with the art deco / expressionist designs, brass instruments, and slightly sad tone.

It's simple, but Superman's essentially quite a simple concept in and of itself so that fits, and the twenty minute episodes means that it never really has time to drag or put too much weight on ideas that can't withstand scrutiny. Plus it feels set in an alternate universe that's both hypermodern and where the 30's never died, so it's easy to dismiss certain things in a way that My Adventures With Superman just couldn't allow.

(I just don't think that classic Superman withstands the sort of hyper cynical discourse that defines certain aspects of modernity / social media / journalism. It'd be trivially easy to do a unreconstructed Superman version of Ace In The Hole or even Network, but I think you'd have to significantly rework the character and their relationship to the news / truth to fit into contemporary discourse.)

Regardless, it's not really going for psychological realism, but rather playing around in spaces that are more iconographic. Lots of cool hero shots, or scary hero shots, layouts that imply simple but fundamental themes, etc. It's just a good, solid understanding of what the characters are like and the kinds of stories that work for them without tipping over into melodrama or shallow psychological insight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

I think the problem people have with it mainly is that, aside from just immediately deflating Superman's really cool moment, the Agony Matrix is a move that (in the show) we've never seen before. In the DCAU Darkseid is kind of a one-trick pony... well, like 3 tricks (those being has big armies, is real strong, Omega beams) so having him bust out this new power is kind of a "man, this is bullshit" moment.

I mean you can justify it by saying that technically Darkseid's supposed to be merged with Brainiac by then so he should be more powerful, or by the aforementioned "well he has it in comics" but in the context of the episode it just feels very out of nowhere.

well of course, anything would have been a better send off than Epilogue was :colbert:

Yeah I kind of just think of Darkseid from his best stories, he's a literal god so he has lots of powers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Coincidentally I've been making my way through Superman The Animated Series for the first time (well, I've been watching it on and off for most of the year and I'm only now getting close to finishing the first season). It's really good, just a really lovely aesthetic object on every level, with the art deco / expressionist designs, brass instruments, and slightly sad tone.

It's simple, but Superman's essentially quite a simple concept in and of itself so that fits, and the twenty minute episodes means that it never really has time to drag or put too much weight on ideas that can't withstand scrutiny. Plus it feels set in an alternate universe that's both hypermodern and where the 30's never died, so it's easy to dismiss certain things in a way that My Adventures With Superman just couldn't allow.

(I just don't think that classic Superman withstands the sort of hyper cynical discourse that defines certain aspects of modernity / social media / journalism. It'd be trivially easy to do a unreconstructed Superman version of Ace In The Hole or even Network, but I think you'd have to significantly rework the character and their relationship to the news / truth to fit into contemporary discourse.)

Regardless, it's not really going for psychological realism, but rather playing around in spaces that are more iconographic. Lots of cool hero shots, or scary hero shots, layouts that imply simple but fundamental themes, etc. It's just a good, solid understanding of what the characters are like and the kinds of stories that work for them without tipping over into melodrama or shallow psychological insight.

I can remember watching the first season on Saturday mornings as a kid and being impressed with the complexity of the storytelling, thinking that it was a step up from Batman the Animated Series and that it respected the intelligence of its audience even more. It was a transformative experience for me in terms of showing me what was worthy of my attention.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Another episode of the new Tom and Jerry shorts got released a couple days ago. It continues to be a pleasant surprise with how good it is. The people who made this understand what made the original shorts so good, in that the music playing serves as a guide for the flow of action in an episode.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Growing up I think I enjoyed Superman TAS more than Batman, but only because there's a lot of not so stellar episodes of BTAS. Like the whole thing is on Netflix now and I tried to think of what episodes I'd want to rewatch and couldn't come up with many (The first few clayface and two face episodes, Mr Freeze's first episode, and maybe the one which reveals Robin's origins.) Superman meanwhile has a ton of episodes I'd be happy to rewatch.

When they rebooted Batman to stand alongside Superman I think it produced some of its best episodes, despite taking a bit hit in the lamer designs of Joker and Riddler. But episodes like Over the Edge, Mean Seasons, Mad Love, Growing Pains, all great episodes.

The epitome of both those series is the Worlds Finest crossover though. Absolutely great stuff with fantastic animation from Telecom, who was working with some of Ghibli's best animators since they owed Telecom a favor.

I've been watching Gravity Falls recently, finished season 1. Good show. It's comedy over character growth which makes me miss Adventure Time and Steven Universe, but at least the story does have an overarching plot and character relationships do develop a bit. And the comedy does deliver. I can see why it was so appealing, though it ending after 2 seasons seems like a real shame, such a flash in the pan. I don't know if Alex Hirsh will get the opportunity to do something else at that scale since his deal with Netflix seems to be dragging on with few results.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Hirsh had a lot of involvement in The Owl House behind the scenes, if I recall correctly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also in front of, given he voices a major character.

Gravity Falls basically ended about a season earlier than expected since apparently he was burning out hard and basically they decided to wrap up everything while they still could rather than risk not getting an ending. (especially since that's never a sure thing with Disney) At points it's pretty easy to tell what would have been the season 2 finale and the main arcs of season 3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Hirsh had a lot of involvement in The Owl House behind the scenes, if I recall correctly.

What did he do besides voice two major characters?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
forgive me if this is incorrect but didn't Alex Hirsch and Dana Terrace date?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

At one point in time yes (Dana also worked on Gravity Falls alongside Amphibia creator Matt Braly who she happens to be close friends with)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei posted:

Yeah, they broke up around the second season of Owl House. Seems like it was an amicable breakup at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Deadendia (the comic Dead End Paranormal Park was based on) will be getting the ending the cartoon never did next May:

https://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/hamish-steele-deadendia/#:~:text=Are%20more%20books%20planned%3F,set%20in%20the%20same%20world

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 24, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I decided on a whim to re-watch Avatar the Last Airbender recently. I hadn't seen the show since it ended.

Holy poo poo how did Nick make this.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hirsh's burnout during Gravity Falls became an actual office health hazard at one point.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
One of my friends on OH bitched a lot about Hirsch's control on the show, so yeah.

My only Terrace story is meeting up with her and said friend for drinks, staying 'til close, then walking a mile to a 24 hour breakfast place at 3 am. She seemed nice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

a neat cape posted:

I decided on a whim to re-watch Avatar the Last Airbender recently. I hadn't seen the show since it ended.

Holy poo poo how did Nick make this.

1) get King of the Hill staff
2) when they ask for an anime studio just find a Korean one that's free
3)???
4) the most influential action cartoon of the 00s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

1) get King of the Hill staff
2) when they ask for an anime studio just find a Korean one that's free
3)???
4) the most influential action cartoon of the 00s

Hold up I never knew about the first part

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hold up I never knew about the first part

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the story behind the making of Avatar is pretty incredible. The creators are anime fans but never had the chance to practice that style in production on King of the Hill, so in addition to pitching something way outside of their drawing comfort zone they also talked too long, just loading the development executive down with all their cool ideas. Thankfully they were talking to the right executive, and he was won over by their enthusiasm and let them produce a pilot.
Then you had all these americans come in for the show who had to suddenly draw storyboards that were cinematic and considered things like focal length, which most cartoons never do. Joaquim dos santos, who went on be one of the co-directors of Across The Spiderverse, said that Avatar was the first show he worked on where he actually had to think of the camera as a physical object and study a ton of live action movies to figure out how to stage the series. Which is strange because he did work on Justice League before that, but Avatar was next level in terms of how much they considered the constraints of an actual camera in staging.

It also sounds like the co-production with Korea was the most inpur an outsource studio has had on an American production since Bruce Timm let episodes of Batman and Superman be directed by people at TMS/Telecom.

Surprisingly though the studio "Avatar Studios" is working with to produce the new animated stuff is in Australia, a place called Flying Bark. I thought that they'd be using Studio Mir in Korea since its track record on Korra, but I suppose it is easier to work more directly with a crew when you all speak the same language. I know some people at Flying Bark and its a cool studio doing some very high quality work, but its sort of mysterious how a studio that used to only do kids shows can suddenly pull off anime style work. I worked at a Canadian studio that tried that and it crashed and burned.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 25, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're doing some new hybrid style for the upcoming Avatar movie / animated series* aren't they? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

*assuming this is still happening.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, Flying Bark is a pretty versatile studio, they did the recent Ninja Turtles tv series which was 2d, but also the best looking episode of What If, the 3d marvel show (with toon shading.) So i'm expecting a lot of 2d/3d integration. I hope the characters themselves are still traditionally animated though (i mean it doesn't have to be paper on light tables, but on 2s drawn on Cintiqs instead of 3d models or rigged puppet anim.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

"That's my sky bison, I don't know you!"

Avatar Roku: "That boy ain't right"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kyoshi is John Redcorn.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ccs posted:

Yeah the story behind the making of Avatar is pretty incredible. The creators are anime fans but never had the chance to practice that style in production on King of the Hill

wait..what? the avatar guys worked on king of the hill? :monocle:

quote:

Then you had all these americans come in for the show who had to suddenly draw storyboards that were cinematic and considered things like focal length, which most cartoons never do. Joaquim dos santos, who went on be one of the co-directors of Across The Spiderverse, said that Avatar was the first show he worked on where he actually had to think of the camera as a physical object and study a ton of live action movies to figure out how to stage the series. Which is strange because he did work on Justice League before that, but Avatar was next level in terms of how much they considered the constraints of an actual camera in staging.

yeah i'm a little surprised about that too. avatar is a very dynamic show but so was justice league. wouldn't think there was much that one show did that the other didn't in terms of camera work.

quote:

It also sounds like the co-production with Korea was the most inpur an outsource studio has had on an American production since Bruce Timm let episodes of Batman and Superman be directed by people at TMS/Telecom.

the director for the korean animation studio that did boondocks was allowed a lot of freedom too

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

A lot of american TV animation has stuck to the Hanna-Barberra method of production, even into the digital age. It ended up with a lot of our cartoons resembling newspaper comics in layout and character design complexity, as well as a lack of a true z-axis. It makes sense that a lot of people who were used to that model would find anime's more cinematic sensibilities both more freeing and more difficult to pull off effectively.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The DCAU was quite dynamic but in a different way IMO, definitely more from, well, comic books for action sequences rather than the cinematic influences of anime.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The DCAU was quite dynamic but in a different way IMO, definitely more from, well, comic books for action sequences rather than the cinematic influences of anime.

My experiences of watching Justice League and such as a kid was me being frustrated with the angularity of the art style and the lack of variety in body shapes which flattened the overall look, which ended up reducing the effect of having a more dynamic camera. If anything it was a continuation of Batman TAS/Beyond's production style into the full digital era, but without the specificity of style/locale/world of B:TAS. Admittedly, it looked better than, say, Danny Phantom which was also trying to be an action show with superflat designs and sitcom-level staging.

The problem with combining all superheroes into one universe, besides some existential problems the genre is just unequipped to deal with, is that you are going to end up with an overall more bland style from having to portray them all on the same terms.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
October is reminding me of old horror shows I watched as a kid, including one that I had long forgotten until now: The Nightmare Room. Anyone remember that old show?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

October is reminding me of old horror shows I watched as a kid, including one that I had long forgotten until now: The Nightmare Room. Anyone remember that old show?

My forgotten horror show that I liked when it was on was Moville Mysteries, a comedy-horror cartoon that starred Frankie Muniz

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished Gravity Falls. Fun show. I wasn't emotional at the end though which either meant they didn't have enough time to make me really connect with these characters the way Adventure Time/Steven Universe did, or they didn't flesh out the characters enough, or a combo of both. Still I look forward to seeing whatever Alex Hirsch does next. I guess I'll move on to Owl House now.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I think Gravity Falls loses something more than most, with a quick binge, or near binge viewing.

Part of the fun, and it's weird Disney was right about this. Was seeing people go through all the weirdness and symbols with a fine tooth comb and come up with crazy or strange theories about what might be happening, it was part of the fun of the series. You don't really get that if you're not having to wait weeks/months between episodes.

Steven Universe has a little bit of that with the Rose Quartz/What Happened with the Gem Wars/Pearl stuff, but not quite to the same degree.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For all that Lost fumbled the ball, you couldn't have something like that's fandom if all the episodes of a season dropped in a a bingible pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, if you want obsessive fan conspiracy theories you gotta give each episode time to breathe while the fanbase cooks up increasingly unhinged nonsense.

Alternatively, you draw a fake episode frame, give it a production code, display it on the monitors in the animation studio, take a lovely photo, post it to 4chan along with a real leak for authenticity, and follow it up with a tweet about how mad you are about leaks. that'll keep the little bastards entertained for a while.