Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

What made me finally go Premium was being able to play in the background on the iPhone. uBlock handled everything else on anything else. I'm a poor but it's one of the few things I bother paying for. I think it's worth it - personally. Done fiddling around with apps and scripts and limitations

e: horrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shipon posted:

it's 15 bucks a month for premium why are people acting like it's some human rights violation lol

everyone just expected that everything would be "free" (paid for by the fed's infinite free money printer) until inflation started kicking up and they had to shut it off

*me desperately trying to peel off the Biden sticker on a gas pump that has him pointing saying 'I did that' so I can stick it to my monitor*

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

YT premium is really nice, so is sharing it with the fam

Glimm fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 29, 2023

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I would not pay one penny for youtube premium because you are paying for them to continue making it worse so they can charge you money

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah ymmv of course but 15 bucks seems like a fair price for the amount of use I get out of it.
not just videos but a spotify equivalent on my phone.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
At least with youtube red, you got something extra. Now they are just putting up a wall for a situation they ignored for years with no value proposition beyond "gently caress you pay me"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

I would not pay one penny for youtube premium because you are paying for them to continue making it worse so they can charge you money
the tech idiots were in this thread all along...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

wow only $15 a month to be constantly recommended mr beast and linus videos thank you google what a bargain

I don’t get any of those.

Edit: only the free loaders get those

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the tech idiots were in this thread all along...

YouTube tech idiots’ fandom thread: Lienus Theft Tips

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

kirbysuperstar posted:

wow only $15 a month to be constantly recommended mr beast and linus videos thank you google what a bargain

Poster after poster being incredibly confused that you can train the algorithm.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I pay for youtube premium- pretty easy to justify for me. The vast majority of entertainment hours I consume per week is youtube and it's not even close. I've heard creators I support get bigger ad 'hits' for premium user minutes watched which is cool if true.

I don't give a gently caress about the premium content which is all bad, but having no ads even on every single smart devices I'm logged into rules (iPads, TVs, etc) but most importantly when I go to sleep at night I always find a nice comfy 45min to 8hr video of some 30 year old nerd with a foreign accent talk about Souls games or a deep 90s game/series retrospectives, turn the screen off with just the audio and I'm out like a light in 15min. It's great. I maintain my own plex server so I also do not pay or need any other premium streaming services but youtube. Easy value decision for me.

kirbysuperstar posted:

literally click "not interested" and they disappear forever. You can also delete things from your history.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I use Youtube Music and adding Youtube Premium was an extra $4

Also it's almost entirely paid for with Google Rewards surveys. I think I actually paid $3 last month for both services.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I've clicked "not interested" on a thousand Joe Rogan videos and they still won't leave me alone.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've never been recommended a mr beast or joe rogan video by youtube. Probably because I've never watched anything from either.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Glimm posted:

YT premium is really nice, so is sharing it with the fam

I want to share it with my wife but it doesn't seem like you can set up multiple profiles in an account. Did I just miss something? I don't want her ruining my recommendations of vintage computing and bushcrafting videos.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

While we're talking about youtube, recently when I watch new content creators and they instruct me to hit subscribe and to ring the bell I have been wondering if it is common knowledge on "why" everyone started asking people to hit that bell in the first place, and by now we have so many younger folks who came on the platform after that whole thing bubbled up and I wonder what the accepted justification for asking that is now.

omething like 6, maybe even 8 years ago YouTube had a "bug" in it that was preventing certain videos from appearing in subscribers' sub box of the creators they're subbed to. After a lot of back and forth prodding from youtube and people comparing screenshots, youtube went from saying it was a bug, to eventually admitting that this was being done on purpose and that youtube found that it retained users on the site longer if certain videos by creators were not presented to everyone's sub feed when the video is published. This is absolutely fuckin bonkers and, to get dramatic, breaches the trust of having a fuckin sub in the first place imo!!! So anyway, the solution at that point was to click the notification bell because the notifications never missed anything. Who knows if this was actually 4D chess on youtube's part (prob not) to content creators telling their creators to actively make the app send notifications, but regardless, the part about vids being unpredictably excluded from a sub box, by design, is pretty fuckin awful.

I haven't heard anyone mention this debacle in many, many years so if you didn't know about this please say so because I'm curious.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’ve heard of that, but as far as I can tell I’ve never missed a video that way. Obviously I didn’t regularly check the channels for videos missing from my feed, but I never noticed a video that wasn’t also on my feed.

Actually it did happen once or twice, but when I went back and checked those videos actually were on my subscription feed.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

I've never been recommended a mr beast or joe rogan video by youtube. Probably because I've never watched anything from either.

Lots of people in this thread outing their viewing habits and acting angry about them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I haven’t had an issue once I say not interested in something ever seeing that channel again.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

YouTube ads are unacceptable, paying for YouTube is unacceptable. Why are content creators doing zero effort video after video and pushing merch!??

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I haven’t had an issue once I say not interested in something ever seeing that channel again.

Unsubbing a channel is powerful too. After i unsubbed all of linus's channels this summer after the Madison tweets I've literally never seen anything related to them again. They're just gone.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
same here. never seen any beast recommendations either :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It was a joke mostly but I can alter my post to say "400 different ICEBERG EXPLAINED videos" if it pleases you

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe the algorithm thinks you really aren’t sure how they work after watching the first one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't think I've ever clicked one and they killed off the keyword blamming iirc so I can't even effectively get rid of them

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
It feels weird that I haven’t seen anyone mention just turning off your watch history. A couple months back YouTube turned off any and all recommendations because I don’t keep my watch history on, so the default screen when I login to a browser or start the app is a blank nag screen urging me to change the setting… and it’s the best accidental upgrade they’ve pushed my way. I genuinely hated that screen and their recommendations sucked, so to hell with them.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've been paying for Premium for awhile, and while I generally am all about paying for services, Youtube does not make me feel like a customer at all.

The technical problems Youtube has solved are phenomenal and it's done a great job of making the video input/output machine work. The actual UX of it is complete and total dogshit. I cannot believe how loving pathetic *everything* about that site is. Nothing works how I want it to, and a lot of the things I want *used* to exist. Search being limited to 7 results is a loving joke. No I don't want to see Shorts, ever again. No, I don't want to see Mr. Beast ever again.

I compare this to a service like Kagi, where I very much feel like a customer paying for a service. The entire service is built around exactly what I would want as a user and it kinda reminded me that software can actually be good.

I pay $15 a month to Youtube and I *still* feel like the loving product - that's the offensive bit here

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah. I pay for premium too because I use it so much, and many of the channels I follow are only on YouTube, but the platform is just awful. Just to take it one example, I follow a few different music-related channels and all of them just have enormous issues with the copyright strike system constantly being exploited by malicious actors who basically take no risks at all. Music channels tend to also be on Nebula for precisely this reason, but a lot of other channels aren't.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I pay $15 a month to Youtube and I *still* feel like the loving product - that's the offensive bit here

Yeah that’s the suckiest thing about it. Even as a paying customer you’re 100% exposed to all the other enshittification/flavor of the week changes they’re keen on making.

I don’t really see myself as a Premium customer forever because they have to do infinite growth at all costs.

$15 isn’t going to be enough for them and soon they’ll want me to pay $25 to have the pleasure of seeing Shorts results first and have some AI chat buddy popping up like Snapchat, wanting me to feed them extra data.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I realised the other day that I have so many bloody addons to fix poo poo, so here's a list:

uBlock Origin to block ads

SponsorBlock to block sponsors and intros and stuff. I could not use youtube without this now.

DeArrow so I can rename all the stupid GDQ videos to something other than the "This STREAMER played MARIO for one hour and BEAT THE GAME TWICE" sort of clickbait they seem to be favouring atm. This one does slow YT down a lot though, even without the additional thumbnail stuff on.

An additional filter in ublock to unfuck the search and get rid of the "MAYBE YOU want to WATCH this woman have a SNAKE removed from her EAR" videos when you searched for like, "how to make bread". Legit, that's what got me to hunt this down. It's like magic.
code:
youtube.com##ytd-search ytd-item-section-renderer>#contents>:not(ytd-video-renderer,ytd-channel-renderer),ytd-secondary-search-container-renderer
(Source, the "without bloat" section)

Return Youtube Dislikes, just because.

AdashimaaTube (with Stylus) to unfuck the subscriptions and front page, as well as a lot of other layout things such as hiding the donate buttons, turning off animations and making everything a consistant colour. It can also completely disable shorts, which is nice, although it has a bug atm where it's not showing descriptions/channel names with a certain setting on.

Outside of youtube, there's Old Twitter and Old Reddit, SocialFixer for FB which removes all the ads and endless scroll. I even have one to return the image size selection boxes in google image search, although that itself has become almost useless over the years.

I sometimes think "I should chop out some of these addons, I have too many" and then I look through the list and realise that nope, that's not happening.

Even if I paid for Premium and ditched these, the search would still be hosed, the subscriptions page would still only show me 3 videos at a time on my tiny screen, and it'll keep vomiting shorts at me. gently caress that.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 29, 2023

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Nettle Soup posted:

AdashimaaTube (with Stylus) to unfuck the subscriptions and front page, as well as a lot of other layout things such as hiding the donate buttons, turning off animations and making everything a consistant colour. It can also completely disable shorts, which is nice, although it has a bug atm where it's not showing descriptions/channel names with a certain setting on.

I use Shortsblocker to remove shorts. Tried a few of these and this one seems to work the best

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Xakura posted:

Poster after poster being incredibly confused that you can train the algorithm.

Seriously. Even before I picked up Premium to be able to do audio-only listens to videos on my phone I don't recall ever having the kind of algorithm intrusion that goons seem to be having.

Maybe once a week I have to click "don't show me this poo poo" on a video. At most. I definitely don't need to run a half dozen plugins to result in a feed that I look at and go NO THIS ISN'T ENOUGH

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Seriously. Even before I picked up Premium to be able to do audio-only listens to videos on my phone I don't recall ever having the kind of algorithm intrusion that goons seem to be having.

Maybe once a week I have to click "don't show me this poo poo" on a video. At most. I definitely don't need to run a half dozen plugins to result in a feed that I look at and go NO THIS ISN'T ENOUGH

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

I realised the other day that I have so many bloody addons to fix poo poo, so here's a list:

uBlock Origin to block ads

SponsorBlock to block sponsors and intros and stuff. I could not use youtube without this now.

DeArrow so I can rename all the stupid GDQ videos to something other than the "This STREAMER played MARIO for one hour and BEAT THE GAME TWICE" sort of clickbait they seem to be favouring atm. This one does slow YT down a lot though, even without the additional thumbnail stuff on.

An additional filter in ublock to unfuck the search and get rid of the "MAYBE YOU want to WATCH this woman have a SNAKE removed from her EAR" videos when you searched for like, "how to make bread". Legit, that's what got me to hunt this down. It's like magic.
code:
youtube.com##ytd-search ytd-item-section-renderer>#contents>:not(ytd-video-renderer,ytd-channel-renderer),ytd-secondary-search-container-renderer
(Source, the "without bloat" section)

Return Youtube Dislikes, just because.

Outside of youtube, there's Old Twitter and Old Reddit, SocialFixer for FB which removes all the ads and endless scroll. I even have one to return the image size selection boxes in google image search, although that itself has become almost useless over the years.

I sometimes think "I should chop out some of these addons, I have too many" and then I look through the list and realise that nope, that's not happening.

Even if I paid for Premium and ditched these, the search would still be hosed, the subscriptions page would still only show me 3 videos at a time on my tiny screen, and it'll keep vomiting shorts at me. gently caress that.

To add one more Clickbait Remover for Youtube: Which simply changes the manual youtube thumbnail for one of the ones autogenerated by youtube, so you get an actual random shot from the video.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tzarnal posted:

To add one more Clickbait Remover for Youtube: Which simply changes the manual youtube thumbnail for one of the ones autogenerated by youtube, so you get an actual random shot from the video.

omfg

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

None of them change what the algorithm shows, they just unfuck the layout of it. Here's what a logged out version of the front page looks like on my tiny stupid laptop, with and without AdaashimaTube and DeArrow (without thumbnail replacement)

Good lord there's some garbage there. Also I guess the guy from Friends died??

V I logged out specically for the screenshot...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 29, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It turns out if you log in, the algorithm has a fixed target that you can influence it for. Wow!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1718454746816618515?t=7T1s0IMmhGW7AH51eTKW8A&s=19

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hasturtium posted:

It feels weird that I haven’t seen anyone mention just turning off your watch history. A couple months back YouTube turned off any and all recommendations because I don’t keep my watch history on, so the default screen when I login to a browser or start the app is a blank nag screen urging me to change the setting… and it’s the best accidental upgrade they’ve pushed my way. I genuinely hated that screen and their recommendations sucked, so to hell with them.

It's because a bunch of posters like the recommendations, OP. Myself included.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Search being limited to 7 results is a loving joke.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't appreciate Steve calling me a liar tho. The very first time I started the game, I found myself into a diashow of a main menu. The very first thing I disabled was DOF and everything got smooth.