Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Y'mhitra's greatest crime is standing so far away from any aethernet shard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I didn’t see anyone comment that yes, titan-egi was your tank as a summoner. Also, because they initially designed egis to not get rekt by AOEs, for a brief period after the launch of the Ramuh Hard/Ex, Titan-egi was the preferred tank for those fights. You could flat out go into the fight with 6 dps and 2 healers.

when i started in shadowbringers, titan-egi was still the tank summon, so your choices were ifrit for single target damage, garuda for aoe damage, and titan for if you want to make the objectively wrong choice to sacrifice damage for defense that nine times out of ten won't even save your life.

i can't say i'm fond of how simplified and straightforward new summoner is, but i also never enjoyed old summoner either so it was a pretty lateral move for me

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

zenos owns (zenowns) and I fully marked out for this moment, as someone who started playing well after 4.3. at the time I was just like, absolutely, bring him back. This is the first villain the game has really managed to make work top to bottom at this point, imo. Gaius really just sort of shows up at the end of ARR suddenly after appearing in like two or three "evil planning" cutscenes, maybe it was marginally more interesting for returners who met him in 1.0. the Pope is just an evil old dude who's most interesting for going "what the gently caress is your DEAL" as he dies. nidhogg is pretty cool imo but characterized primarily by expository conversations other people have about him and, aside from showing up to possess estinien and later ruin aymeric's day, just isn't really present all that much from the WoL's perspective

zenos had an actual recurring presence in the story, multiple fights, fun writing that REALLY kicked into gear like one cutscene before he turns into a dragon and dies, a distinct and colorful relationship to the wol, a pretty comprehensible and well-executed role thematically both in himself and as your foil, and has excellent and entertaining voice acting (which honestly is one of the most important bits). I understand plenty of people were less than enthused by his return, and some of that I get (people who found him genuinely reminiscent of actual stalkers in a way that was not at all fun) and some of it I don't (people who hate forced-loss scenarios in games). But for me, everything in 4.3 involving Mysterious Elezen Centurion's first appearance loving rocked, not least because him going "I have considered being Normal but I have decided it would be preferable to simply be Absolutely Shithouse Bonkers" is fun and suggested to me they were still interested in the ideas raised in his last few cutscenes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
As people have noted the new summoner revamp both simplified, but it also hurt how it feels at lower levels. One thing to note that's easily forgotten, summoner started its shift towards new summoner with patch 5.1, since it initially launched in Shadowbringers with a completely different rotation that got completely flipped in 5.1 because the original Shadowbringers rotation was too unwieldy. People had long already joked before that summoners would have to relearn their rotation every expansion due to large changes, so it happening twice in shadowbringers just highlighted. This switch in 5.1 did have long-reaching consequences for how leveling summoner feels though leaving it always feeling incomplete till until level cap, both for 5.x SMN and new summoner. Essentially, up until 5.1, leveling summoner meant learning more dots and learning to manage your dots, but also learning how to efficiently use your Aetherflow actions (energy drain, fester, painflare). Both because aetherflow worked to stack off of your dots functioning as mini-nukes but also because it was the summoner's way of MP management.

So, one of the big promises of 5.0 for summoner was letting them actually attack more with their Egis directly to fit their class fantasy better, compared to before where the pets essentially acted on their own and more augmented the summoner's dots. This was basically the birth of Egi Actions (EAs), replacing the old system of egi commands, where the egis now do attacks directly. The other thing about Summoners up to 5.0 and 5.1 was the absurd amount of OGCDs it had, so it was generally considered one of the more complex jobs to play due to how much double weaving it had to do. EAs as originally introduced added onto this because they were originally created as OGCDs.

So the 5.0's Summoner rotation would typically look like

Ruin^EA1^EA2 > Ruin^EA1^EA2 (I know this isn't the exact rotation, I just don't wanna overcomplicate by adding tri-disaster,fester, etc. in there).

Doing these EAs would reward the summoner with instant-cast Ruin IV charges which they'd be using in a future phase or emergency movement. The big issue of this rotation was the summoner would always be juggling both making sure they're properly using all their EAs properly, but also juggling all their aetherflow actions to keep them on cooldown if they wanted to be efficient. 5.1 Summoner would completely flip this around, turning EAs into GCDs making them them the core part of the rotation rather than what's getting weaved in. So now the summoner rotation becomes the much more manageable

EA1^Tri-d^Energy Drain > EA2^Fester^Fester

while the EAs are still serving the function of building up Ruin IVs for later. So if it's not obvious, this is basically the prototype for what is currently modern new summoner, where EAs have replaced Ruin in the rotation (much like modern summoner, if you're pushing ruin 1, you either messed up somewhere or you're in that slight window of downtime where ruin 1 is your only option). The big consequence of all this though, is it completely messes with how all the skills have been spread out within the learning curve since before, each of the new skills did make sense in an additive way as a new button to push that synergized with your current toolkit. EAs were a new skill introduced in 5.0, but lowbie new summoners would still learn them at lower levels generally as a OGCD to weave into their attacks, and only later would learn unlock their actual ability to create Ruin 4 charges. The switch in 5.1 to make them GCDs though basically meant newbies basically got an attack in their rotation that effectively replaced Ruin, but did not synergize in any way with the 50-70 toolkit so they always felt like awkward buttons to push. And this has basically carried forward into current summoner, where low-level summoner always feels weird until basically level cap only it feels even more hollow with less OGCDs to weave into its rotation compared to before if you're someone who was used to old summoner. Lowbie 6.0 summoner is a lot more cohesive now compared to lowbie 5.1 summoner, but it's also vastly less busy due to all its upgrades coming in traits rather than new buttons to push.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So people talk about how Summoner's rotation used to be on like a 2-minute rota, I need to talk about the current Paladin's rotation because it's somehow loving worse.

So, talking about level 90 Paladin but there's no spoilers here. But the basics of Paladin is that you have a melee combo, Goring Blade as a Big hit move, the Magic combo from Requiescat, Atonements, and Divine Might every time you land a Royal Authority.

So, you start combat, and you go 1,2,3 After Royal Authority you hit Fight or Flight and Requiescat, then, Goring Blade, your oGCDs, then into Blade Combo and your one Holy Spirit. Then you get 2 Atonements in under FoF, before the buff wears off.

This follows A->1->2->3->1->2->A->A->A->HS->3->1->2->A->A->A

And around here Fight or Flight is coming off cooldown, so you go into FoF and Req, do Goring and Blade combo, Holy Spirit, EXCEPT, we have no atonements, and we have 3 up. So you go 3, Holy Spirit 2.

So that's it, on and off? Haha. Nooo. See next time the cycle runs around you'll go 1->2-> then start the FoF cycle, then the next cycle will get in at 1, then the one after that should be standard, and after around 5 minutes, it all resets.

If you have any more Skill Speed than base, this entire poo poo gets thrown to the dogs and becomes a nightmare hell. And I think at least one time you'll Triple Atonement, Holy Spirit, and then have FoF come up, so you gotta go A->HS->FoF/Req/Goring->Blade Combo->3->HS->A.

And you'd think "Oh it's not that big a deal." It is. It's a loving mind-gently caress especially if any downtime exists.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

dyslexicfaser posted:

Y'mhitra isn't going to be winning any awards for anybody's favorite character. I think the problem is that she's a Sanson without a Guy to bounce off of.

Maybe more of a Jenlyns; except that Jenlyns can be wrong and kind of an rear end in a top hat, which is at least memorable, and he can grow beyond that. Y'mhitra doesn't really get that beat of character growth.

The closest thing to an Interesting Mhitra Fact that I can recall offhand is that apparently, the spot where Y'mhitra stands in Gridania is where Louisoix used to hang out, back in 1.0.

Y'mhitra's main fun fact is her identifying herself as Y'shtola's younger sister and saying she's like six years older than Y'shtola admits to being.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Onmi posted:

So people talk about how Summoner's rotation used to be on like a 2-minute rota, I need to talk about the current Paladin's rotation because it's somehow loving worse.

So, talking about level 90 Paladin but there's no spoilers here. But the basics of Paladin is that you have a melee combo, Goring Blade as a Big hit move, the Magic combo from Requiescat, Atonements, and Divine Might every time you land a Royal Authority.

So, you start combat, and you go 1,2,3 After Royal Authority you hit Fight or Flight and Requiescat, then, Goring Blade, your oGCDs, then into Blade Combo and your one Holy Spirit. Then you get 2 Atonements in under FoF, before the buff wears off.

And around here Fight or Flight is coming off cooldown, so you go into FoF and Req, do Goring and Blade combo, Holy Spirit, EXCEPT, we have no atonements, and we have 3 up. So you go 3, Holy Spirit 2.

So that's it, on and off? Haha. Nooo. See next time the cycle runs around you'll go 1->2-> then start the FoF cycle, then the next cycle will get in at 1, then the one after that should be standard, and after around 5 minutes, it all resets.

If you have any more Skill Speed than base, this entire poo poo gets thrown to the dogs and becomes a nightmare hell. And I think at least one time you'll Triple Atonement, Holy Spirit, and then have FoF come up, so you gotta go A->HS->FoF/Req/Goring->Blade Combo->3->HS->A.

And you'd think "Oh it's not that big a deal." It is. It's a loving mind-gently caress especially if any downtime exists.

I think you're really overthinking things because you just hit whatever buttons you have available to finish off FoF after Goring + Blades combo + boosted Holy Spirit, whether that's Atonements, a saved second boosted Holy Spirit or just 1-2-3 combo progress. The potential differences between whatever you use are miniscule, so it only really matters if you're chasing that 100 gold parse really, just press whatever's lit up. Modern PLD at 90 is super chill in savage, just need to learn when to save Holy Spirit uses to minimise downtime. I've gotten purple parses on pretty much every ex/savage fight that's come out since the rework so I'd like to think that I know what I'm talking about.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 29, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Y'mhitra's main fun fact is her identifying herself as Y'shtola's younger sister and saying she's like six years older than Y'shtola admits to being.

Her name also kinda reminds me of "Mithra", which is the catgirl race from Final Fantasy XI (though there are said to be catboys offscreen) that inspired Miqo'te.

Kinda like Tataru and Tarutaru.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ibblebibble posted:

I think you're really overthinking things because you just hit whatever buttons you have available to finish off FoF after Goring + Blades combo + boosted Holy Spirit, whether that's Atonements, a saved second boosted Holy Spirit or just 1-2-3 combo progress. The potential differences between whatever you use are miniscule, so it only really matters if you're chasing that 100 gold parse really, just press whatever's lit up. Modern PLD at 90 is super chill in savage, just need to learn when to save Holy Spirit uses to minimise downtime. I've gotten purple parses on pretty much every ex/savage fight that's come out since the rework so I'd like to think that I know what I'm talking about.

My kung-fu calculator numbers pretty much only suffer from the fact I'm severely under-geared, and since I have a lot of time to practice... yes I focus on what is assuredly very miniscule. But that doesn't mean it CAN'T be that complicated, only that I'm a crazy person

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Onmi posted:

All you need to do with PLD is start the main combo at around five seconds left on FoF's cooldown timer so you're left with Royal Authority lit up once you go into your magic burst phase, using Atonements to adjust the specific timing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

All you need to do with PLD is start the main combo at around five seconds left on FoF's cooldown timer so you're left with Royal Authority lit up once you go into your magic burst phase, using Atonements to adjust the specific timing.

No, because then you're drifting FOF or overwriting atonements which is a DEEPS LOSS.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Friends, I don’t think this is the right place to discuss level 90 pld play.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

when i started in shadowbringers, titan-egi was still the tank summon, so your choices were ifrit for single target damage, garuda for aoe damage, and titan for if you want to make the objectively wrong choice to sacrifice damage for defense that nine times out of ten won't even save your life.

i can't say i'm fond of how simplified and straightforward new summoner is, but i also never enjoyed old summoner either so it was a pretty lateral move for me

Shadowbringers is when the egis went from having a lifebar to just being immortal. As a result titan-egi stopped tanking the enemy itself and just applied a defense buff which was not nearly enough. It makes one arcanist job quest difficult where topaz carbuncle was supposed to tank the enemies for you (its lilely still doable, just with the sleep spell or lowering the difficulty)
As someone who likes pet-management jobs in mmos i miss it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if the devs will ever go back and rebalance some of the old solo duties.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wonder if the devs will ever go back and rebalance some of the old solo duties.

I imagine they either have to do that or add echo to them, given the push to make everything solo friendly, but also maybe they would have done that when adding trusts to ARR if they were ever doing that

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 29, 2023

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I just wish they'd at least make it so that friendly NPCs you need to keep alive for completion show up in the party list for healer duties. It's wildly frustrating to need information that the game is just not able to show you passively, and is atypically unfriendly to controller players besides. I can't think of a healer duty with more than seven mandatory friendlies at a time anyway, so it's not like there's an obvious mechanical reason why they can't.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mister Olympus posted:

I imagine they either have to do that or add echo to them, given the push to make everything solo friendly, but also maybe they would have done that when adding trusts to ARR if they were ever doing that

Every solo duty is still doable, there's just a couple that aren't cakewalks. What they should do is let people select the easier difficulties immediately for the people that prefer that, instead of forcing them to fail once first.

Like Clockwork posted:

I just wish they'd at least make it so that friendly NPCs you need to keep alive for completion show up in the party list for healer duties. It's wildly frustrating to need information that the game is just not able to show you passively, and is atypically unfriendly to controller players besides. I can't think of a healer duty with more than seven mandatory friendlies at a time anyway, so it's not like there's an obvious mechanical reason why they can't.

I found that less of a problem starting in StB when they finally let AoE heals hit your friendlies too, instead of forcing you to stick with single target on every person.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Like Clockwork posted:

I got so frustrated by healer duties that I stopped trying entirely, failed them and went straight to Very Easy as fast as possible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Tengames posted:

Shadowbringers is when the egis went from having a lifebar to just being immortal. As a result titan-egi stopped tanking the enemy itself and just applied a defense buff which was not nearly enough. It makes one arcanist job quest difficult where topaz carbuncle was supposed to tank the enemies for you (its lilely still doable, just with the sleep spell or lowering the difficulty)
As someone who likes pet-management jobs in mmos i miss it

The Belias-egi fight is rough as well at level because you're supposed to have Titan tanking him so he hits like a truck, at least after the change but before nuSMN when I did it (don't know if the toolkit changed enough to tweak that). I had to actively stall sometimes while Y'Mithra remembered to heal me. So relieved that it changes halfway, that guy hurt a lot less.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Her name also kinda reminds me of "Mithra", which is the catgirl race from Final Fantasy XI (though there are said to be catboys offscreen) that inspired Miqo'te.

Kinda like Tataru and Tarutaru.

There is exactly one onscreen catboy in XI. :eng101:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I kinda want to see Biggs and Wedge give summoner a shot (I'd say Cid too, but he's Garlean), they've been pretty close to a few primals without getting tempered. Show us Bismarck-egi and Alexander-egi, dammit!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I wish you could co-op story duties. It's very jarring to play together and be forced to disband and reform the party all the time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Co-op would completely trivialize solo duties and would be a nightmare to rebalance because you could take a pocket healer (or pocket DPS if you're healer) and the duty would be essentially super very easy. And that's just assuming one extra person, a full light party would be even worse.

Edit: also the whole point of solo duties is to do exciting battle content where your WoL is the hero, co-op cheapens that.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 29, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Onean posted:

Every solo duty is still doable, there's just a couple that aren't cakewalks. What they should do is let people select the easier difficulties immediately for the people that prefer that, instead of forcing them to fail once first.

there's one, coming up in this LP, that took me multiple attempts on very easy. I'll probably complain about it at length when it appears. I'm fine with a rebalance.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Imagine watching a movie with friends or family, except whenever a climactic scene would come up, instead the action gets paused and everyone has to go outside to an individual cubicle, watch that scene on their phone, and come back.

That's how solo duties feel when we're duoing our way through MSQ. :smith:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

It definitely saved my life the one time in a Shb alliance raid all three tanks died and I was somehow at the top of the aggro list for a minute or so. Summoner's tank stance was never good but in that one moment I was extremely grateful for it.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Kwyndig posted:

Co-op would completely trivialize solo duties

Solo duties are already trivial, given that you can set them to "very easy" after screwing up once, so this doesn't seem to be a compelling counter argument.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

That's how solo duties feel when we're duoing our way through MSQ. :smith:

This may be a dumb question but why are you grouped at all while doing the MSQ outside of doing dungeons/trials?

Like, my wife and I will often do MSQ at the same time, but when we don't we don't group up for it. There's simply no reason to.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mordiceius posted:

This may be a dumb question but why are you grouped at all while doing the MSQ outside of doing dungeons/trials?

Like, my wife and I will often do MSQ at the same time, but when we don't we don't group up for it. There's simply no reason to.

Because it is mentally nice to be in a party whilst going around doing MSQ questing. Also you get free aetheryte teleports for other party members when you pay for one yourself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also party chat, being able to help each other in fights, and queueing together

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also, for tradition's sake, Imma post my Summoner glam, I decided I wanted it to be my "Rugged adventurer-mage" look

Very VERY VERY loosely inspired by Claus from Tales of Phantasia.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

You can make a linkshell to let you chat regardless of Party status. That doesn't really address the rest but it's something?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You can only get on the same mount if you’re in a party together.

Also if you’re both doing the same walk into a purple circle and fight two bears MSQ step, you only spawn two bears and fighting them completes the quest for both of you.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Onmi posted:

Also, for tradition's sake, Imma post my Summoner glam, I decided I wanted it to be my "Rugged adventurer-mage" look

Very VERY VERY loosely inspired by Claus from Tales of Phantasia.

Nice glam. What are the chest and hat pieces, assuming the names aren't spoilery?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The hat is the Anemos hat, and the chest is the Bozjan casting top.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Wrestlepig posted:

The hat is the Anemos hat, and the chest is the Bozjan casting top.

That feels kind of spoilery, depending on how much Sang knows about future content.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Kazy posted:

That feels kind of spoilery, depending on how much Sang knows about future content.

Appreciated, but it was impossible to learn things about Eureka without finding out Bozja is a place we're going to go. At least I got the name from the game before that happened though!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh nice, I do have a shot of my summoner glam:

The one armor piece from a certain alliance raid series that I really love. I do wish it was dyeable though....

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Yeah, I use the yellow one for Scholar. Wish there were more color options.

dyslexicfaser fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Slight mechanical spoiler, but for current MSQ, if an event spawns a mob for you to kill, it will only spawn once if you're in a party but count for everyone in the party. This isn't how it is before EW. But it's a change made to make partying up for the MSQ be less weird. All we need now is them to do Solo duties without forcing you to disband.

EDIT: Samantha and I do MSQ together, and while this does cause friends to be mad because "Stop waiting for her to do content just do it yourself." I like playing with a close friend and reacting together. That's when I first noticed they'd changed the enemy spawn difference.