Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If you have a Lada and a Bentley and you want your guys to drive one of them into a mine, it's not hard to make the choice. Especially if you expect that at a later point you might come to a situation where the Bentley's better performance is of some use.

Another reason is that Russia has been using T-72 and newer stuff for everyday use and a few wars now for decades so they probably have already cannibalised some of the mothballed T-72's and T-80's before this even started, meanwhile T-55 and T-62 fleets have remained mostly untouched. They are an untapped resource, meanwhile the more modern tanks could come useful if the strategic situation becomes more fluid and mobile again.

Finally I'm reminded of that stroke of genius not many years back when Putin received a battalion (30) of T-34's from Laos and in exchange sold an equal number of T-72's. How we still haven't seen them in Ukraine is a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
T-34's? I'd imagine you'd have to replace a significant amount of the internals just get them to run.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

dr_rat posted:

T-34's? I'd imagine you'd have to replace a significant amount of the internals just get them to run.

Lao People's Army had kept them operational to this day. That's why Russia wanted them, to parade them on Victory Day.

Operational WW2 tanks are not that rare, but having dozens of the same type is unusual - usually even in big budget WW2 movies you seldom see more than a platoon of Shermans, and even that is just because Sherm was along with T-34 the most numerous model of the war. How many still run I don't know.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you count static displays (which a team of mechanics with a machine shop could probably get running again) I wouldn't be surprised if there are thousands of privately owned Shermans in the US

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Nenonen posted:

Operational WW2 tanks are not that rare

Yes you can literally go to a bunch of places in central/eastern Europe and pay a few hundred bucks to drive around in an privately owned operational T-34 with your mates. There were a gazillion of the things spread out across the Warzaw pact.

Now, fielding them in modern warfare against anything but militia armed with kalashnikovs at best is another level of crazy.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 28, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

DTurtle posted:

The whole video (and others on their channel) is about using satellite pictures of depots to look at and count the actual number of vehicles and the development of those numbers over time. It is the complete opposite of some slow news day armchair general post.

The interesting part is that newer tanks actually aren’t disappearing out of the depots that quickly. It is actually the older ones (T-55 and T-62) that are disappearing the fastest (-20% and -35% in the last six months). They speculate that it might be easier to reactivate those old tanks, as they are a lot simpler.

The older tanks are less likely to have been stripped of key parts to maintain active service vehicles and in general do not have technology that depends on imported & difficult to manufacture electronics.

The older tanks are also insanely bad compared to the more modern stuff in every possible way.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Yes you can literally go to a bunch of places in central/eastern Europe and pay a few hundred bucks to drive around in an privately owned operational T-34 with your mates. There were a gazillion of the things spread out across the Warzaw pact.

Now, fielding them in modern warfare against anything but militia armed with kalashnikovs at best is another level of crazy.

The 40mm HEDP grenade fired from a Mk19 or similar high-velocity grenade launcher will very much get a penetration on almost every angle except the hull sloped glacis and the turret front, let alone a RPG, let alone a Javelin.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Owling Howl posted:

It's probably not the official policy of the Russian armed forces but it seems pretty plausible that one or more units have done so at some point or another. They film themselves shooting and decapitating prisoners so I'm not really sure why we should doubt they'd shoot a few deserters here and there.

As someone who talks to russian soldiers on a regular basis, lol at people convinced there are Enemy At The Gates blocking units regularly gunning people in the back.

One guy saw one Lieutenant shoot a guy. One guess about if the Lieutenant will ever see Russia again.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I saw yet another anonymous but kinda plausible in a "where there's smoke there may or may not be fire" sense that Putin's health is pretty much turbofucked. I am taking it with a grain of salt (though I 1000% believe that Putin is unwell, the only question to me is how unwell), however, let's just say Putin DOES die. What do y'all reckon is most likely to happen?

Does Russia just use body doubles in perpetuity and have the Russian military continue this poo poo via a literal shadow government while trying to convince the world Putin is alive? Does Russia eventually admit it, but then Putin's successor continues the fight using Putin as a martyr? Or does Putin's successor realize how goddamn insane this whole thing is and gradually give up the ghost, leading to the end of the conflict?

EDIT: Okay, I searched on Twitter and saw video of (allegedly) Putin in (allegedly) Moscow from apparently yesterday and he looked pretty chipper so yes, almost certainly turbo bullshit, but the hypothetical question still remains, I suppose.

FWIW if anyone thinks me just a gullible doofus, the main reason I'm convinced Putin's unwell somehow is I find it super weird how infrequently he appears, and I just find it weird that there could be SO many reports and have them be all 100% bullshit.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 29, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I saw yet another anonymous but kinda plausible in a "where there's smoke there may or may not be fire" sense that Putin's health is pretty much turbofucked. I am taking it with a grain of salt (though I 1000% believe that Putin is unwell, the only question to me is how unwell), however, let's just say Putin DOES die. What do y'all reckon is most likely to happen?

Does Russia just use body doubles in perpetuity and have the Russian military continue this poo poo via a literal shadow government while trying to convince the world Putin is alive? Does Russia eventually admit it, but then Putin's successor continues the fight using Putin as a martyr? Or does Putin's successor realize how goddamn insane this whole thing is and gradually give up the ghost, leading to the end of the conflict?

It is unlikely to be a body double weekend at bernie's situation. There will be some sort of internal decision about an actual successor and that will determine what happens in the conflict; the specifics of who is likely to "win" such a process are probably known to nobody, and certainly not to us. Part of Putin's longevity as a strongman dictator is that he has avoided letting anyone reach such a position.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If I were Ukrainian intelligence spreading rumors about putins health would be a constant daily task.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

FWIW if anyone thinks me just a gullible doofus, the main reason I'm convinced Putin's unwell somehow is I find it super weird how infrequently he appears, and I just find it weird that there could be SO many reports and have them be all 100% bullshit.

By this metric, the Kim dynasty of North Korea are some of the healthiest people possible.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Part of Putin's longevity as a strongman dictator is that he has avoided letting anyone reach such a position.

Anyone that acts too competent at their job within his circle is promptly evacuated out of the nearest window, or has an AA missile express-delivered to their plane in-flight. When he does die the succession be absolutely ugly.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If I were Ukrainian intelligence spreading rumors about putins health would be a constant daily task.

Log on, sip of coffee, checks news, cracks fingers. "Putin with what appears to be deep bruising on left butt cheek. Cancer?"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

By this metric, the Kim dynasty of North Korea are some of the healthiest people possible.

It's a little different because NK is quite possibly the most isolationist country on Earth, certainly moreso than Russia, so not seeing them as much is significantly less odd. Also again, not saying dude is on his deathbed or anything, but it'd also shock me if the dude was healthy as a horse in the way that the Kremlin insists, either.

Basically what I'm saying is I feel like there's misinformation coming from both sides to the extent that I think the truth is probably in the middle of the misinformation noise. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a pretty plausible outlook to me. :shrug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
all the sources suggesting putin is in ill health are worse than worthless, you can genuinely discount them 100% until something even vaguely credible comes along. it's all just anonymous telegram rumors

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

all the sources suggesting putin is in ill health are worse than worthless, you can genuinely discount them 100% until something even vaguely credible comes along. it's all just anonymous telegram rumors

Okay then, guess I'm dumb! My bad for the unintentional derail, carry on with more worthwhile discussion. It was a sincere curiosity.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Putin is like 70 and probably has a history of alcohol abuse so he's probably not in perfect health, but he also has world class doctors in residence so he's unlikely to keel over dead anytime soon.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Who would the candidates be following Putin passing anyway? Gerasimov? Shoigu? Medvedev?

I'm kind of just throwing out the biggest names with some nominal backing of power, but I'm not familiar with the more extensive power blocs in Russia beyond Ukrainian war concerns.

Or are we going to have a quiet power struggle similar to the death of Stalin?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Donkringel posted:

Who would the candidates be following Putin passing anyway? Gerasimov? Shoigu? Medvedev?

I'm kind of just throwing out the biggest names with some nominal backing of power, but I'm not familiar with the more extensive power blocs in Russia beyond Ukrainian war concerns.

Another reason to hold back the T-72s: who has control of the most basically rules Moscovia after Putin dies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is a very common logical fallacy, and one which is exploited by many people and organizations peddling disinformation. Compare to the antivax disinfo on social media. "I'm hearing all these reports about people getting heart attacks from the vaccine, they can't all be wrong?". But they are. Repeating a lie over and over really does work to make people believe it or at least start questioning their beliefs.

I think it's good to not beat ourselves up too much when it happens but to be aware of our human failings.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

spankmeister posted:

This is a very common logical fallacy, and one which is exploited by many people and organizations peddling disinformation. Compare to the antivax disinfo on social media. "I'm hearing all these reports about people getting heart attacks from the vaccine, they can't all be wrong?". But they are. Repeating a lie over and over really does work to make people believe it or at least start questioning their beliefs.

I think it's good to not beat ourselves up too much when it happens but to be aware of our human failings.

Jumping to any conclusions is fallacious but Putin rarely making public appearances is pretty weird. It could be a personality trait, deliberate calculated decision, depression, physical illness or, for all I know, perfectly within cultural political norms in Russia.

It's my impression Putin prefers to sort of float above it all as a wise father of the nation type. If unpopular reform are on the table he lets his subordinated deal with it and if the pushback is too severe he'll evebtually deign to enter the chat and graciously dictate a compromise. If that's by design it makes sense to keep a low profile while inflation is up, interest rates keeps getting hiked and obituaries are doing record numbers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Owling Howl posted:

Jumping to any conclusions is fallacious but Putin rarely making public appearances is pretty weird.

Over the past few years he's seemed pretty -probably justifiably- paranoid, and there were reports that during covid he isolated himself from all but a couple of key people he trusted.

I mean paranoia doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to still do skype -or whatever- interviews, but he may just be limiting a lot of public commitments, and only focusing on what ever he thinks is important, which If it hasn't been hurting his popularity than :shrug:.

It's not like he needs to worry about elections or anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Jumping to any conclusions is fallacious but Putin rarely making public appearances is pretty weird. It could be a personality trait, deliberate calculated decision, depression, physical illness or, for all I know, perfectly within cultural political norms in Russia.

It's my impression Putin prefers to sort of float above it all as a wise father of the nation type. If unpopular reform are on the table he lets his subordinated deal with it and if the pushback is too severe he'll evebtually deign to enter the chat and graciously dictate a compromise. If that's by design it makes sense to keep a low profile while inflation is up, interest rates keeps getting hiked and obituaries are doing record numbers.

I was talking more about the flood of "putin ia very sick" and "putin is dead" rumors, I should have left the "doesn't make many public appearances" part from the quote.

Putin has made very few public appearances since the pandemic started but I don't know if he already started doing less appearances before.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the big issue that gets people with dogshit telegram rumors is really simple: if it comes from an anonymous telegram channel, it's worth literally nothing

there's also a secondary issue where pro-ukraine twitter including some prominent ukrainian officials have been signal boosting some really insanely sketchy telegrams like the general svr poo poo and the vchk ogpu channel which both get used to launder rumors and other info-op poo poo. I can't stress enough that as far as telegram is concerned, if its anonymous, just discount it the same way you would some complete rando on twitter or some youtube channel with 50 viewers making a claim

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SamuraiFoochs posted:

however, let's just say Putin DOES die. What do y'all reckon is most likely to happen?

insert every historian ever asked for speculative predictions during an interview sighing here

that there is no clear sector of the state or extrapolitical group expected to produce a successor--i don't think there's good reason to say that, say, the security services would produce a successor instead of the military, or that there's a favored successor in the patronage network similar to Mirziyoyev after Karimov ate it. Mishustin is not a designated success in the slightest and idk if he'd even fill the designated constitutional successor role--the modern russian state kinda likes its rule of law absent a higher power to overrule it, but as high as stakes are (and as little as the law has actually been practiced) i sincerely doubt everyone would just follow the "PM's acting president, free and fair elections will be held according to CIK's highest standards within three months" letter of the constitution

Morrow posted:

Putin ... probably has a history of alcohol abuse

wat

Donkringel posted:

throwing darts at a name board ain't really gonna magically find some hidden shadow emperor bullseye--wait, no! it's been there all along! the grey cardinal really is in charge! SURKOV'S BACK BABY! IT'S BEEN A GRAND SCHEME ALL ALONG AND HE'S OCELOTED HIS WAY TO THE TOP! ALL A GREAT AND VERY INTRICATE PLAN METICULOUSLY EXECUTED. the current structure of the russian federal government, very much by design, does not have a second in command. it does have prominent figures with control over various significant assets, but without clear visible power blocs. you can try to kremlinology scry some and conjecture succession scenarios, but it's drat hard.

any visible coalition that may wish to take power would be far more visible to Putin than us internet armchair idiots, or even professional idiots: nation states employ vast diplomatic and intelligence corps entirely because it's really drat hard to get a good picture of state systems from outside them, especially when trying to form a power bloc that's visible to people inside the system is going to get you swiftly ejected from it

so, in a sense yes, some sort of Death of Stalin power struggle is the most likely outcome simply because that's what you usually get with a sudden power vacuum, but trying to figure out what that struggle might look like is hard as hell. nobody is lining up and publicly announcing "if Putin dies, i wish to take power!", and anyone privately thinking that is trying to keep it private between themselves and their closest associates. the Russian government and society also isn't the same creature as the Soviet government and society circa 1950, so while power struggle probably yes, guarantee of narrow elite power struggle no--it's a possibility but not an inevitability, because that's not how history works

what we can know for certain:

Will Saddam be killed? Yes. he's already dead.
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No. he's already dead. Hamas tho...
Will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes. wait, gently caress, wrong thread. also wrong war, wrong decade, and im not grover :|

ed: less shitposty response: if you find yourself asking these sorts of questions, embrace the joy that nobody knows, go read some history books, there is no shortage of them. you will become no better at predicting the future, but that quoteable Snyder bit about being less surprised by it is quite true. he's good at quoteable bits.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 29, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
From what little I admittedly know, if Putin passes, my guess is that it's likely to be Nikolai Patrushev next. I don't think the succession will be anywhere near as messy as a lot of people expect or want to happen. Putin's way of thinking is hugely prevalent among the elites and politics in Russia. They want the gravy klepto-train to keep rolling on

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I imagine if Putin dies suddenly, it'll be whoever has the strongest grasp on the security forces near Moscow at the point his death is known. Wagner's ride to Moscow showed that Russia is not prepared for an internal power struggle, or at least that the plans in place are paralysing when the threat comes from an unexpected angle.

The line of succession should make it go to the prime minister, but people have fallen out of windows before. This is the fundamental problem with most autocratic strongmen regimes, the successor can only take the mantle if they're as strong and ruthless as the one that just died.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

khwarezm posted:

https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1717738123893817350
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311886.2023.2269685
Large thread and link suggesting that Euromaiden in 2014 really were behind the sniper attacks. I don't know who Ivan Katchanovski is but his twitter feed does not fill me with confidence that he's a neutral party.

He's a huge liar and making up poo poo hoping people can't read Ukrainian. He uses the fact that they were acquitted of terrorism (because it wasn't seen as applicable) as proof that they were falsely accused (only one defendant was acquitted) to imply that they were all acquitted and that the court is trying to say that it was Euromaidan's leadership who really did it... despite convicting all but one of them on various charges in relation to the shootings.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1718573392465477914

Illya Ponomaryov continues to be an insane assclown

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Donkringel posted:

You always hear speculations that that is the reason PM Mischoustin and Moscow Mayor Sobyanin are allowed to not make bloodthirsty speeches. Whoever rules next will have to negotiate the removal of sanctions, so it needs to be someone without a reputation of a warmonger.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

spankmeister posted:

This is a very common logical fallacy, and one which is exploited by many people and organizations peddling disinformation.

This is a good post and bears repeating, because it is literally one of the tactics used in propaganda.

First, flood the zone with stories about [thing]. The human brain will begin to weight more heavily messages told with greater frequency, particularly if the message comes via multiple channels.

Second, make exaggerated claims. The human brain actually won't believe the full magnitude, but will tend to believe something must be partially true if it warrants large claims.

These techniques can be used for both good--e.g. advertising vaccines on social media, and on the nightly news, and at town hall meetings, and on posters at your workplace--and for evil--e.g. Trump's claims the entire national election is rigged.

This is why courts (when they work) require evidence rather than hearsay. "Many people are saying" is, in fact, utter poo poo for determining and acting upon objective reality.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Owling Howl posted:

It's my impression Putin prefers to sort of float above it all as a wise father of the nation type.

He’s explicitly playing that role of father. That’s part of the whole Orthodoxy, Autocracy, and Nationality bit.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Owling Howl posted:

He is an elderly paranoid hypochondriac who rules by setting up other people to blame when anything goes wrong. He spent the pandemic living in a bubble and now is occupied with purging coup plotters (some of which are even real). More direct involvement in public life would just set him up to take more of the blame for the ongoing slaughter, would mean more opportunities for more clever coup plotters (real or otherwise), and is generally not something he seems into. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

He's also plain getting old. When Putin first became president he was 48, now he's 71. Old people need to sleep more to function and especially to look presentable.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Wtf all my grandparents slept less and less when they got older. Like waking up at 4am. Then they had to wait for hours before the market would finally open at 8:00.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Your grandparents probably went to bed earlier than you ever would and also weren't presidents of nuclear powers. Or are you saying that when people become senile, they get more energetic overall? Huge if true.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

No, they generally have worse sleep but they still sleep less and wake more often. Thats aging for you. Also I would imagine being president of a nuclear power waging a war sleeps less well than your average person of that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

No, they generally have worse sleep but they still sleep less and wake more often. Thats aging for you. Also I would imagine being president of a nuclear power waging a war sleeps less well than your average person of that age.

That's the conundrum, though. To function at that position you need to sleep. With help of drugs if not otherwise plausible. There's no point to showing on television if you are just rambling uncontrollably and looking like a tired dog poo poo. :sad: