Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
In a sane world with two (or more) viable, comparably defensible, but very different parties it's easy to present how someone that votes for one party or another is fully reponsible for the good and bad results of that vs the opposite, and for someone who can't reasonably be party to either to stay out of it. But it would also be clear that the responsibility is for what's different from the other party. If you're voting for someone that's better for taking care of Americans in need but has a more aggressive foreign policy, or vice versa, you have to own the bad side of your choice as well as take credit for the good side. You at some level have to admit that you picked one priority over the other. But it would be obvious that participation in the system is primarily about endorsing differences between parties, not things that will happen no matter who wins or if you abstain

And the same thing is true now, it just manifests differently. A Trump voter in 2016 knowingly chose anything Trump was predictably going to do that alternatives would not. Including cutting taxes, punishing Iran and Cuba to make up for Obama's softness, building a wall at the border, appointing a bunch of far-right judges, and whatever else someone following his campaign would reasonably expect. Even if those aren't why they voted for Trump, they chose him over the alternatives that didn't do that. By contrast, they're not really to blame for Trump keeping capitalism in place, whether they wanted that or not. Hillary and Bernie (he's a capitalist-to-the-core social democrat whatever his branding) would have done the same. None of the three was going to try to abolish the US MIC either, though you can definitely differentiate how they would have changed spending and priorities. Or abolishing drug prohibition beyond marijuana law, whatever's important to you.

You can reverse that, go right ahead! Someone who voted for the Democrat in 2016 or 2020 is fully responsible for choosing ways the Democrat would be worse than Trump.* It's just really unsatisfying when you put it that way since it's thin pickings. It's awkward, sure. For example, it's simultaneously true that the Obama years were full of US imperialism and bombing of innocent people in the name of continuing the GWOT, and that there will always and forever be a big U-shape in US-caused civilian deaths between the Bush years and the Trump years. If you, as a time-traveling leftist, had been magically nominated as the Kevin Costner to to ensure or sink the Obama presidency, you would have only had the power to change one of those.

*There's absolutely a reason why "Trump is gonna outflank the Democrats from the left" was so popular for so long into the Trump administration despite being abjectly ridiculous, and this is why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But now take it back to the polarized national context. In the national context there are fascists on the ballot. That means those votes where fascists are running have predictable outcomes, but only on one side. We can know what happens when fascists are elected.

The issue I have with that reasoning is that it encourages elected representatives to do nothing about the growing facism. If I am guatenteed 40% of the vote because a problem exists, but have to actually try to reconcile 40 different 1% voting blocks if it doesn't, the optimal strategy is to do nothing about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The most important marker for determining your personal moral worth turns out to be having the most "don't blame me, I voted for ____" bumper stickers

As long as you never voted for a winner, nothing that happened is your fault, total moral purity

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The most important marker for determining your personal moral worth turns out to be having the most "don't blame me, I voted for ____" bumper stickers

As long as you never voted for a winner, nothing that happened is your fault, total moral purity

In much the same way that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, there is no ethical voting in democracy. I have made peace with the death and misery my voting has caused, and I accept I am a monster for wearing clothes.
If others need to point to the infinite people, tied 1 meter apart on the infinite tracks to justify pulling the lever and condemning an infinite number of people tied 10 meters apart, so be it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Hell is filled with voters and non-voters in equal measure. All are guilty, and must be punished for their sin of being born in a Democracy.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

It seems the only correct moral stance to take is pacifist isolationism and just ignore anything that happens. Doing anything inevitably makes you responsible. Supporting Israel is supporting genocide. Opposing the Taliban is opposing Afghani civilians. Trading with a murderous regime supports murder. Not trading with them punishes civilians.

People seem mostly diinterested in whatever human misery takes place as long as the US is not in some way involved. Half a million people died in Ethiopia and Sudan last year. Haiti has descended into warlordism and low level civil war. No one cares. When the US was more actively involved in the Yemen war people cared a lot about Yemeni civilians dying but now Yemeni deaths are not interesting anymore.

If the US disengaged from Israel and ignored the conflict people would rapidly care about the Palestinian people as much as they care about the Ethiopian peoples which is to say not at all.The issue isn't death and misery - it's the moral purity of our representatives and doing nothing while people die is the only safe moral stance.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Owling Howl posted:

It seems the only correct moral stance to take is pacifist isolationism and just ignore anything that happens. Doing anything inevitably makes you responsible. Supporting Israel is supporting genocide. Opposing the Taliban is opposing Afghani civilians. Trading with a murderous regime supports murder. Not trading with them punishes civilians.

People seem mostly diinterested in whatever human misery takes place as long as the US is not in some way involved. Half a million people died in Ethiopia and Sudan last year. Haiti has descended into warlordism and low level civil war. No one cares. When the US was more actively involved in the Yemen war people cared a lot about Yemeni civilians dying but now Yemeni deaths are not interesting anymore.

If the US disengaged from Israel and ignored the conflict people would rapidly care about the Palestinian people as much as they care about the Ethiopian peoples which is to say not at all.The issue isn't death and misery - it's the moral purity of our representatives and doing nothing while people die is the only safe moral stance.

By this logic doing nothing also makes you responsible for things you could have prevented by biting down and accepting a less than perfect option that could also have prevented negative outcomes elsewhere.

It's almost like the world does not regularly serve up easy choices for people to make and folks have to learn to compromise on some things.

I'd also point out that isolationism is a fantastic way to get your civilization subjugated or massively hosed up by more malevolent neighbors but I doubt that'd fly with the sort of folks who think it's a good idea.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 29, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Owling Howl posted:

I mean, America could try something like spending all the effort and money currently put to the military on some kind of massive global relief corps-cum-development agency. Imagine how popular and beloved the US would be if they were spending nearly a trillion dollars annually on building infrastructure, providing clean water, running hospitals, clearing up after earthquakes, and so on.

Or hell even if the military stays as it is, deploy it to idk enforce a no-fly zone over populated areas being indiscriminately bombed. Establish actual defended humanitarian aid corridors. Protect refugee columns. Physically liberate concentration camps. Keep two sides physically separated and use economic pressures and inducements to bring them to the table to hash out a peace deal.

It's not like most of this is stuff America doesn't do to some extent. But much of that is ad hoc, threadbare, or so blatantly favors one side that the gains are seriously hampered. Even so it's not like the only two options are Current US Policy and Hermit Kingdom.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

James Garfield posted:

Nobody is even criticizing you for what you think about a politician (which would also be okay, since as you say people can think different things about politicians), people are disagreeing with you over whether or not it's a good idea not to vote.
that was clearly on regards to if ill vote for them, not only about what i think of them

im going to drop this after this post because we been going for pages now, but it's not that i disagree with "lesser of two evils" it's just i include "unless the lesser evil has passed a threshold of unacceptability"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Same. All electoral politics is Lesser of X Number of Evils, but that doesn't mean the least of the evils is acceptable.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
It's the same for me. I'm not looking for the most perfect candidate. However, the lesser evil right now is still really loving evil and I can't accept that

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Honestly, I look at voting as if my vote is the deciding vote (even though it isn't). It helps keep me grounded and think the repercussions, how it affects others, etc.

This is why in 2012, I voted for James Harris. If this would have caused Obama to lose and Romney to win, I could live with my choice. And this is why in 2016/2020 I voted for Clinton/Biden. Because it was more of a vote against Trump than for the D candidate. The difference in policies between Trump and the D candidates was way to vast for me if my vote was somehow the deciding vote.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I have a question for the non-voters who call Biden evil because of his support for Israel.

How do you think any other Democratic president, including Bernie, would handle this situation? Let's say Bernie would stop funding Israel and let's forget that this is ultimately a Congressional decision. Israel would still attack. The $3b in yearly aid is nice, but Israel is a very high-tech economy with a very advanced military with an annual GDP of around $500b, so American aid is a drop in the bucket. Israel, given their politics, and given the history of Jews getting massacred, will always go full-scale HAM as a response to such a terrible attack by Hamas.

So Bernie stops funding Israel, maybe breaks ties with them. Now what? It will make it more difficult to get aid into Gaza and the Palestinians will still be decimated. Maybe it will make Israel even more mad. Maybe you will feel better because "at least the party I voted for is not complicit," but the reality of mass death remains the same.

I just don't really see a viable solution here that doesn't involve America threatening Israel militarily.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

small butter posted:

I have a question for the non-voters who call Biden evil because of his support for Israel.

How do you think any other Democratic president, including Bernie, would handle this situation? Let's say Bernie would stop funding Israel and let's forget that this is ultimately a Congressional decision. Israel would still attack. The $3b in yearly aid is nice, but Israel is a very high-tech economy with a very advanced military with an annual GDP of around $500b, so American aid is a drop in the bucket. Israel, given their politics, and given the history of Jews getting massacred, will always go full-scale HAM as a response to such a terrible attack by Hamas.

So Bernie stops funding Israel, maybe breaks ties with them. Now what? It will make it more difficult to get aid into Gaza and the Palestinians will still be decimated. Maybe it will make Israel even more mad. Maybe you will feel better because "at least the party I voted for is not complicit," but the reality of mass death remains the same.

I just don't really see a viable solution here that doesn't involve America threatening Israel militarily.

While I'm not a non-voter who calls Biden evil, I think threatening/implementing sanctions on Israel would change their tune pretty quickly.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Tnega posted:

In much the same way that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, there is no ethical voting in democracy. I have made peace with the death and misery my voting has caused, and I accept I am a monster for wearing clothes.
This is a terribly toxic attitude and not at all the correct way to think about global injustice, or a way of thinking about it that is going to make it improve. If you are willing to be more understanding of people who make complex choices, to have whatever influence they can on the effed situation they find around themselves, you will also be able to extend that kindness to yourself, and your life will be better for it.

Gyges posted:

Hell is filled with voters and non-voters in equal measure. All are guilty, and must be punished for their sin of being born in a Democracy.
I know that that's kind of a joke, but is it possible that a desire to avoid complicity in our nation's actions is a/the reason there are so many anti-Democratic impulses at the moment? Maybe on a subconscious level?

Owling Howl posted:

Yes, the outsized amount of attention that is paid to Israel and Palestine - and I'm not saying that it's too much, per se, just that it's a lot more than similarly deadly and unjust conflicts worldwide - reflects a bunch of overlapping disturbing facets of US politics.

- The overextension of foreign influence, particularly in the Middle East, that has resulted in its politics having an inappropriately close relationship with those of the US,
- The public's general indifference to thinks that don't directly or secondarily impact the United States,
- People's general obsession with Bible Things

And those are just the problems with the prominence of the conflict in the discourse - the problems represented by the side we have taken are a much longer list.

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean, America could try something like spending all the effort and money currently put to the military on some kind of massive global relief corps-cum-development agency. Imagine how popular and beloved the US would be if they were spending nearly a trillion dollars annually on building infrastructure, providing clean water, running hospitals, clearing up after earthquakes, and so on.
We would be popular and beloved for the 18 months until the next election, when our extremely morally flawed populace brutally punished the administration responsible for spending money on Americans' most hated expenditure, foreign aid. People hate foreign aid when it's less than 1% of the budget; imagine if we were spending a quarter of our defense budget on it - a psychotic strongman promising to use that military capacity for conquest would be elected almost immediately. It's sad, and I loving hate it, but that really is how it is, and my not voting would have absolutely no effect towards changing it. Which is why it goes back to changing minds - activism, yes, but also the creation of art, and interactions and thought exchange between individual people.

The idea of the US military engaging with the world that way is a beautiful fantasy to us, but implausible as it is, it's a horrible nightmare to many. We have to make it so that there are decisively more of the former than the latter.

World Famous W posted:

that was clearly on regards to if ill vote for them, not only about what i think of them
In terms of moral character, and possibly real world impact depending on the way you engage with the world, how you vote for or against a politician is less important than how you "think of them."

If you think something a President is doing is 100% morally inexcusable, and you vote for them because of other issues, and because your vote wouldn't affect that thing, you still do honestly believe that the thing is morally inexcusable. You have not compromised that. You just checked a box on a form.

If you want to really feel like you have genuinely expressed an objection to this, you are not going to do it in a voting booth, or by making a big show online about not going into one.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Same. All electoral politics is Lesser of X Number of Evils, but that doesn't mean the least of the evils is acceptable.
If it's going to happen no matter what you do then you are not "accepting" it. We all "accept" it, because none of us are going and self-immolating on the National Mall to express our displeasure with it. We just continue living our lives in this country whose government and military are currently complicit in an active genocide, and a very unsubtle one at that. Not voting for Joe Biden doesn't mean you "didn't accept it" any more than anybody else, and giving yourself any "moral points" for that is a strange thing to do, in my eyes - and that also means that that no "points" are deducted by taking the other route and pulling the lever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kalit posted:

While I'm not a non-voter who calls Biden evil, I think threatening/implementing sanctions on Israel would change their tune pretty quickly.

I'm genuinely not sure it would. The current Israeli leadership seems to be literally bent on deliberate conscious genocide based on religious zealotry (amalekites? Wtf!).

Of course we don't know it won't work because it hasn't been tried. But it's clear that lesser behind the scenes interventions are not working (that marine general who tried to talk them out of invading then went "this is all them not us" afterwards).

Plus Biden doesn't operate in a vacuum and it's pretty clear from the way Rashida Tlaib has been treated that trying to get anything less than an increase in funding to Israel through congress not only wouldn't work, at least not right now, but would likely making getting anything else done also impossible.

Right now there seems to be basically two groups of people who could stop this, the Israeli government collectively and the Americsn government collectively -- that us, the few hundred people at the top of each -- and neither of those groups wants to.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 29, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

theCalamity posted:

It's the same for me. I'm not looking for the most perfect candidate. However, the lesser evil right now is still really loving evil and I can't accept that

You can, however, accept a genocide happening because of your decision to not accept that.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

I'm genuinely not sure it would. The current Israeli leadership seems to be literally bent on deliberate conscious genocide based on religious zealotry (amalekites? Wtf!).

Of course we don't know it won't work because it hasn't been tried. But it's clear that lesser behind the scenes interventions are not working (that marine general who tried to talk them out of invading then went "this is all them not us" afterwards).

Plus Biden doesn't operate in a vacuum and it's pretty clear from the way Rashida Tlaib has been treated that trying to get anything less than an increase in funding to Israel through congress not only wouldn't work, at least not right now, but would likely making getting anything else done also impossible.

As far as your last point, I believe a president can implement sanctions without needing congressional approval? Or at least to a certain degree. Of course Biden wouldn't do this, but the poster I was replying to specifically mentioned if the president was any other possible D president.

For your first point :shrug: No way to know if it would/wouldn't work. But it would make a huge impact on their economy, which I imagine would at least make them think harder about proceeding

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kalit posted:

As far as your last point, I believe a president can implement sanctions without needing congressional approval? Or at least to a certain degree. Of course Biden wouldn't do this, but the poster I was replying to specifically mentioned if the president was any other possible D president.

I think, could be wrong, that he could have ordered the UN ambassador to not vote to block UN sanctions. But I expect if he did so the UK would have then blocked them, and also this Congress would probably impeach him for it, because "terrism".

There are things he could do but for a major shift in overall policy he'd have to bring the party with him.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kalit posted:

Yes, they would completely lose the little restraint they have.

Edit: any policy that tries to make Israeli response less disastrous to Palestinian people has to, in some shape, address the issue of Hamas responsibility, otherwise it won't be acceptable to anyone who has a chance for governing Israel, never mind the current set of psychos.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 29, 2023

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

OddObserver posted:

You can, however, accept a genocide happening because of your decision to not accept that.

I don’t vote for people who support genocides so I don’t get where you think I support one

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

cum-development agency

Where do I sign up?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

theCalamity posted:

I don’t vote for people who support genocides so I don’t get where you think I support one

If you stay home in 2024 and that helps Trump win, you'll likely be partly responsible for genocide of Ukrainians.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

I think, could be wrong, that he could have ordered the UN ambassador to not vote to block UN sanctions. But I expect if he did so the UK would have then blocked them, and also this Congress would probably impeach him for it, because "terrism".

There are things he could do but for a major shift in overall policy he'd have to bring the party with him.

Sorry, I should have clarified. Have the US itself sanction Israel, not through the UN.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

OddObserver posted:

If you stay home in 2024 and that helps Trump win, you'll likely be partly responsible for genocide of Ukrainians.

Uuuughhhhhhhhhhhhh we are actively complicit in genocide this is insane

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If you don't vote for the genocider there will be blood on your hands from the genocide

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

theCalamity posted:

If Republicans win in 2024 it will accelerate the ongoing genocide in Ukraine and the US will invade Mexico (probably not a genocide but who knows at this point)

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

OddObserver posted:

I live in a very red state with a winner takes all system lol. My vote for president doesn’t really factor into who gets to win.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you don't vote for the genocider there will be blood on your hands from the genocide

It's American politics... you're getting some genocide guilt regardless of who you vote for or if you vote.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

It's American politics... you're getting some genocide guilt regardless of who you vote for or if you vote.

Voting to decide if I want to drown in a torrent of blood and misery or a deluge. Currently being told mathematically the deluge is less so my mind has been made up.

We've absolutely lost it as a country.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

Elections were for parties not people in the Weimar Republic so it’s a moot point. At no point was “Hitler Y/N?” something on a ballot.

It’s really weird how people like referencing the rise of Nazism a lot more than they like knowing how it happened.

I like that you use this specific example because "Adolf Hitler? Ja/Nein" literally was on a ballot.

It was in 1938 and hence long after they'd taken power, so it was no longer "the Weimar Republic", and also this was in Austria technically asking whether they supported Anschluss, but still :haw:

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Voting to decide if I want to drown in a torrent of blood and misery or a deluge. Currently being told mathematically the deluge is less so my mind has been made up.

It's like it was built on a native grave yard or something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kalit posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. Have the US itself sanction Israel, not through the UN.

Yeah, you might be right, not sure. The overall sense I have right now though (could be wrong!) is that most things Biden could do in the short term wouldn't actually dissuade Netanyahu or his government (because Netanyahu is literally saying the bible commands a genocide), and anything Biden could do in the long term would require a shift in the overall politics of the United States government, not just Biden making a choice.

We're all just being held hostage by political inertia and a few hundred assholes.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Kalit posted:

For your first point :shrug: No way to know if it would/wouldn't work. But it would make a huge impact on their economy, which I imagine would at least make them think harder about proceeding

The reason this will probably not work is that Israel will decimate Gaza for a few months to meet their political bloodlust goals, stop, and then say "we good?" The only way to force them to stop is to do so militarily.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Israel gets its bombs from us. I don't know if Biden can threaten to stop supplying weapons to Israel without the consent of Congress, but if he can, that's what he should do. I know it's never happening though.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

FlamingLiberal posted:

Israel gets its bombs from us. I don't know if Biden can threaten to stop supplying weapons to Israel without the consent of Congress, but if he can, that's what he should do. I know it's never happening though.

Ostensibly Biden is in control of the armed forces, he could withdraw both carrier groups from the eastern Mediterranean if he wanted to.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 5, 2023

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Gyges posted:

Everyone ends up in Hell?

Sounds like the point system needs to be reformed.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Ither posted:

Everyone ends up in Hell?

Sounds like the point system needs to be reformed.

Sadly, that's what you get with FPTP voting.

First Past the Pulpit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

Yes, [without US backing, Israel] would completely lose the little restraint they have.
Yes, Israel (correctly) perceives that they would not have been able to maintain their state for as long as they have without the direct and unwavering support of the most powerful military in the history of the world. If they lost that support, I think they would view themselves as having "nothing to lose," and that's a pretty scary prospect. A scared animal in a corner that has nuclear weapons.

That puts the US in a situation where it must cover itself in the blood of Palestinian children, in full sight of the world, as the only means to possibly prevent further deaths of Palestinian children. That's the result of decades of US policy. Joe Biden played a small but integral part in those decades of policy, but there is little he can do now to reverse its effects immediately or in the short term.

theCalamity posted:

I don't think you support genocides, and I think it's weird that you think people who vote for abortion rights and wealth redistribution do, especially when voting against those people would have no effect on whether or not there's a genocide.

Gumball Gumption posted:

f you don't vote for the genocider there will be blood on your hands from the genocide
Yes. That's the sad reality of living in America in 2024, and literally nothing any of us do can change it. There is no reason to wallow in it when we can focus on doing whatever we can to improve that, or any other situation, which, for people with no official power, means convincing people that what's happening is bullshit and should be stopped.

Letting Israel twist in the wind, or making sweeping, immediate changes to our diplomatic relations, would absolutely be a political liability, and could directly empower Donald J. Trump - that's not something Biden is imagining. If that wasn't the case, he would be acting differently! Public sentiment is moving in Palestine's direction and that will only accelerate as long as Israel continues their atrocities - I hope both that the sentiment moves fast enough, and that the administration responds to it quickly enough, that the US will put a stop to what's happening soon. I'm not optimistic, though.

The funding we're currently sending doesn't have anything to do with Israel committing genocide against the Palestinians - they already have more than enough bombs and goons with guns to kill every last one and level every building in Gaza. It's a mostly symbolic act in the present, that will go towards making Israel's disproportionately powerful military more powerful in the decades to come - should Israel continue to exist in its current form for decades, which, Inshallah, it will not. Bear in mind I would be equally opposed to a genocide of Jews in Israel, because although they are the direct descendents of colonizers, they live where they live... but like, this "Jewish state" thing is clearly not working.

Obviously the Brooklynites in the West Bank need to GTFO immediately.

theCalamity posted:

I live in a very red state with a winner takes all system lol. My vote for president doesn’t really factor into who gets to win.
Arguably this is true, but I do think that governments respond to the national popular vote. If Trump had taken office with 54% of the vote in 2016 I think that Congress would've been far more aggressive in trying to implement his insane agenda than they were when he got 47%. Maybe it's a stretch but I would argue it matters enough to go over to the library for 15 minutes.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The country we live in has lost it. And we are part of it. But I think we can do ourselves the kindness of distinguishing that we have not lost it, and that if we could pull 5-10% of people to the side of doing the right thing (which, no, does not mean the same thing as getting them to vote for Democrats) then it will make our country much more likely to do the right thing. This is, to some extent, a real representative Democracy - which makes what the country is doing more terrible, not better, because that responsibility is more widely shared. But if we voice our opposition we are genuinely attempting to move the needle.

And like I said, that's not something that is done with voting. It's just definitely not something that is done by not voting, or by the Green candidate getting 1.1% instead of 0.8%.