Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HolHorsejob posted:

lol, 2 weeks later...

It ended up turning out ok. I managed to get some detectable ferment in it by the time I needed to use it, and it rose as expected and tasted tasty.

I'm looking for inspiration. What kind of pizza-adjacent things do you make? what other kind of flatbreads do you make in your oven?

I was wondering what came of that. It looks like nobody had anything to say anywhere.

I think my advice on what to do in pizza ovens is broken because I'm Mr Big-Wood-Fired and just throw in all kinds of stuff in pans and dutch ovens after the heats dropped back and we're done with pizzas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Someone a while back was looking for other things to use a pizza oven for and somehow i'd never heard of this and it looks pretty great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI6uAJNqt0g

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I guess I'm going to risk it: Modernist Pizza is in the wind as of last week, and it is a tome. It is gorgeous, but it also goes hard on theory, and now I have months of experimentation ahead of me.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
A friend taunted me with pictures of delicious pizza, so I'm taking my first swing at deep dish.

A well-greased cast iron with olive oil and butter, 700g of my standard sourdough crust, maybe 75ml of sauce, and a heap of cheese and peps. Pre-cooked for a few minutes on a hot burner, just went into a 550 oven

e:

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 2, 2023

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Coke scale acquired, and you know what that means: It's micro yeast poolish experimentation time, Edison style.

I'm barely started and I'm already sick of it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HolHorsejob posted:

A friend taunted me with pictures of delicious pizza, so I'm taking my first swing at deep dish.

A well-greased cast iron with olive oil and butter, 700g of my standard sourdough crust, maybe 75ml of sauce, and a heap of cheese and peps. Pre-cooked for a few minutes on a hot burner, just went into a 550 oven

e:

whoa dayum, looks tasty.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I had a pizza steel forever ago but it was a smallish 1/4" and I (somehow) lost it in a move. Been pining for shaking some pizza off a peel, so I got a piece of 3/8" thick 16x18 steel ($40!), stripped off the mill scale with a little hydrochloric acid and cleaned up the edges. Seasoned up, slapped some dough on it.

Made 4 pizzas in 2 days, all more or less NY style. I could use more heat from the top faster, but I'm pretty happy with the underside.

Also made a tomato pie/apizza sorta thing, which was nice.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Very nice shaping. Looks like a perfect circle

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
A litany of failure:

On to round 2

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

A litany of failure:

On to round 2

Are you allowing the yeast anytime at a more happy temperature? 55F is a temp where they’re going to need a long time to develop the poolish properly. As it’s not even the full ferment why not give them some love and raise the temp closer to a happy number for the yeast?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I plan to increment from 55, to 60, to 65. This is for a 48 hour poolish. I started with 55 because of this right here:

I want that heterofermentative flavor, without keeping a sourdough starter.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I plan to increment from 55, to 60, to 65. This is for a 48 hour poolish. I started with 55 because of this right here:

I want that heterofermentative flavor, without keeping a sourdough starter.

Where’s the lactic acid bacteria coming from, the wheat? I’ll be interested in seeing if this works for you, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense from a sourdough direction or from my yeast/bacteria farming for brewing. LAB do function slowly at that temp, but they’re not going to multiply and act really slowly. Maybe that’s the idea, but then you’re relying on picking up enough from the kitchen to go into the poolish in the first place.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

When you make deep dish, what changes do you make to the dough? I'm making cast iron deep dish and my first attempt yielded a pizza that was too puffy and didn't flatten out right

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Jhet posted:

Where’s the lactic acid bacteria coming from, the wheat? I’ll be interested in seeing if this works for you, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense from a sourdough direction or from my yeast/bacteria farming for brewing. LAB do function slowly at that temp, but they’re not going to multiply and act really slowly. Maybe that’s the idea, but then you’re relying on picking up enough from the kitchen to go into the poolish in the first place.

Yeah, from the flour itself. The thing is, I know that I can get that nice funk from a low temperature-ish 48 hour ferment because I made a dough with wonderful flavor from a 48 hour room temperature no-knead once. Unfortunately that was made before I began controlling fermentation temperature with an iron fist, so I do not know what the exact fermentation temperature was, other than fall to winterish. My hope is that if I cycle though some combinations and essentially try to split the difference between fermenting a poolish and a sourdough starter with the ridiculously low yeast %age/low temp combination that I might end up with one of them having a pleasant funkiness. Modernist says 55 is ideal, other pizza nerds suggest 65 is better.

Skinnymansbeerbelly fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 5, 2023

bengy81
May 8, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

When you make deep dish, what changes do you make to the dough? I'm making cast iron deep dish and my first attempt yielded a pizza that was too puffy and didn't flatten out right

Any chance you have pics?
How big of a cast iron, and how much dough do you put in?
How much sauce are you putting on?
For a 10" pie here is my dough:
240g bread flour (King Arthur blue bag, or special patent)
4g salt
Yeast (depends on how long I want to ferment, usually 1-2g)
170g water

I have pizza hut 12" pans too, for those I use roughly the same ratio:
312g bread flour
6g salt
2g yeast
225g water

In both cases, my dough stretches out to a pretty thin disc, and barely stretches to the edge of the pan. The final product ends up being roughly 1/2" thick or so.

The first time I made a pan pizza, I did a 300g flour recipe in a 10" skillet, and it ended up being like focaccia thick, maybe 1-1.5". It was good but, more like a loaf of bread than a pizza.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, from the flour itself. The thing is, I know that I can get that nice funk from a low temperature-ish 48 hour ferment because I made a dough with wonderful flavor from a 48 hour room temperature no-knead once. Unfortunately that was made before I began controlling fermentation temperature with an iron fist, so I do not know what the exact fermentation temperature was, other than fall to winterish. My hope is that if I cycle though some combinations and essentially try to split the difference between fermenting a poolish and a sourdough starter with the ridiculously low yeast %age/low temp combination that I might end up with one of them having a pleasant funkiness. Modernist says 55 is ideal, other pizza nerds suggest 65 is better.

This link you posted is a much longer way of writing down my questions for why you went colder. 65F is the lowest temp I’ll do when co-fermenting with yeast and LAB for beer, and that’s going to give me a clean acidity and yeast profile for most strains. But the LAB also is much slower than if I give it a head start at 90F or higher.

Good luck finding your ideal ferment, it’s a lot of dough to make and eat.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm doing kenjis foolproof pan pizza recipe and I haven't made it in a while. His recipe says it makes two ten inch cast iron pizzas. https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe

I doubled the recipe since I'm using two twelve inch cast iron rather than two ten inch cast irons. I haven't done real math since junior year of high school. Any recommendations on how much dough I should use for each one? Either by weight or just cutting it into thirds instead of halves?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i would guess to use about a third more dough for each ball, given the difference in area

bengy81
May 8, 2010

bartlebee posted:

I'm doing kenjis foolproof pan pizza recipe and I haven't made it in a while. His recipe says it makes two ten inch cast iron pizzas. https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe

I doubled the recipe since I'm using two twelve inch cast iron rather than two ten inch cast irons. I haven't done real math since junior year of high school. Any recommendations on how much dough I should use for each one? Either by weight or just cutting it into thirds instead of halves?

I would do 550g (ish) of dough and see what it looks like in the pan.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I've discovered that you can put 3x as much dough and 2x as much cheese into a pan pizza, but it will still feed just as many people as a neopolitan of the same diameter

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thank you. That seems about right but I remember there was some study about how the volume increases by a huge percentage the more you increase the diameter and then I remembered I didn't take calculus 20 years ago so I could take two choir classes instead and decided to bail on attempting the math.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This comes up enough that we should just slam down a formula. Now, I did calculus in college and was somehow actually pretty good at it, but I also paradoxically suck at algebra, so here goes nothing.

The thing you want when adjusting a recipe for a different size is a surface area change, not volume, because the thickness should stay the same. So I believe the formula is:

Factor = (new width)^2 / (old width)^2

It's two pizzas, but if you're trying to still poop out two pizzas on the other end, then the factor still holds. So going from a 10-inch pizza to a 12-inch pizza:

Factor = (12)^2 / (10)^2
Factor = 144 / 100
Factor = 1.44

So you'd multiply all the ingredients by 1.44.

But wait, surface area uses radius! But proportionately, you're dividing by the same amount, so it doesn't matter. If you're not sure, then it would be 36 / 25 = 1.44.

It's true that it's hard to estimate area and volume changes. Going up just two inches like that basically means you have to add a half more dough than you already had.

Edit: I'm kind of going by the Internet theory that if nobody's posting something, then post it wrong and you'll get it as a correction. I kind of want to get this formula down too since I have to do this from time to time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So, shots fired: Italian food was invented during/after WW2 from heavy American influence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZfwyKa0Lc

Some fun words about the Magherita origin story: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263340437_Folklore_Fakelore_History_Invented_Tradition_and_the_Origins_of_the_Pizza_Margherita

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This comes up enough that we should just slam down a formula. Now, I did calculus in college and was somehow actually pretty good at it, but I also paradoxically suck at algebra, so here goes nothing.

The thing you want when adjusting a recipe for a different size is a surface area change, not volume, because the thickness should stay the same. So I believe the formula is:

Factor = (new width)^2 / (old width)^2

It's two pizzas, but if you're trying to still poop out two pizzas on the other end, then the factor still holds. So going from a 10-inch pizza to a 12-inch pizza:

Factor = (12)^2 / (10)^2
Factor = 144 / 100
Factor = 1.44

So you'd multiply all the ingredients by 1.44.

But wait, surface area uses radius! But proportionately, you're dividing by the same amount, so it doesn't matter. If you're not sure, then it would be 36 / 25 = 1.44.

It's true that it's hard to estimate area and volume changes. Going up just two inches like that basically means you have to add a half more dough than you already had.

Edit: I'm kind of going by the Internet theory that if nobody's posting something, then post it wrong and you'll get it as a correction. I kind of want to get this formula down too since I have to do this from time to time.

Crazy enough I was double checking kenji's recipe and one of the top comments:

"For a single pie in a 12" cast iron pan using the "multiply by 1.44 for 12"" and "divide in half for 1" formula" and then they list the recipe scaled down for one pizza in a twelve inch pan so I'm going to take that as confirmation that your math was correct.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Poofy chewy cuppy goodness

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hypnolobster posted:

Poofy chewy cuppy goodness

Please deliver directly to my gaping maw.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I'm using a wood-fired ooni knockoff and I cannot get a decent bake on the underside for love nor money.

I'm cooking 175g doughballs stretched across a 12" x 12" x 1/4" stone, using a thin spread of sauce and a relatively light topping load. When I have enough fire that the stone heats up to 950, the top cooks too quickly. If I let the heat go past that crest, the stone cools down in lockstep.

Do I just need a 1/2" steel plate for an unreasonable amount of thermal mass? Use ridiculously small/thin doughballs? Rig something up to heat from both above and below?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Hypnolobster posted:

I had a pizza steel forever ago but it was a smallish 1/4" and I (somehow) lost it in a move. Been pining for shaking some pizza off a peel, so I got a piece of 3/8" thick 16x18 steel ($40!), stripped off the mill scale with a little hydrochloric acid and cleaned up the edges. Seasoned up, slapped some dough on it.

Made 4 pizzas in 2 days, all more or less NY style. I could use more heat from the top faster, but I'm pretty happy with the underside.

Also made a tomato pie/apizza sorta thing, which was nice.

Some really good looking pizza 🔥

Got some nice NY slices going

Been working on the square pie game - Grandma style for now

Sausage and Pepp Tomato Pie with Garlic Lemon Ricttoa Dollops

Annnnd our thanksgiving sando
The Dang It, Bobby!
Confit turkey, Mom’s cranberry sauce, Boursin cheese spread, herb aioli, fried shallots, Brioche bun, served with chicken schmaltz gravy on the side for dipping

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Some really good looking pizza 🔥

Got some nice NY slices going

:pwn:

loving incredible

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm using a wood-fired ooni knockoff and I cannot get a decent bake on the underside for love nor money.

I'm cooking 175g doughballs stretched across a 12" x 12" x 1/4" stone, using a thin spread of sauce and a relatively light topping load. When I have enough fire that the stone heats up to 950, the top cooks too quickly. If I let the heat go past that crest, the stone cools down in lockstep.

Do I just need a 1/2" steel plate for an unreasonable amount of thermal mass? Use ridiculously small/thin doughballs? Rig something up to heat from both above and below?

I'd look at the stone first. I feel like with how quickly the temperature changes and for how thin that stone is, it's going to just crack anyways. Before that, you can see if you can go cooler and then lift the pizza up to the roof with a peel (recommend metal) to get some final leoparding from the cooler overhead temperature.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
3 weeks, 10 pounds of flour, and 72 poolishes later, and the results thus far for a 48 hour 55° poolish: total failure. A few got halfway risen, but for the most part, they failed to fizzle even a little. The bread puns are endless: What am I trying to prove? What indeed. 55° is not it. On to 60°.

Also I have concluded that much like homebrewing, at no point in hobby pizza making do you ever actually spend less money. Rather, the quality of the pizza rises, while money continues to get spent on ticky tacky bullshit. Last month was the milligram scale. Next month is a heating pad for my fermentation station: the oven light method doesn't quite offer enough control. It never ends.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

3 weeks, 10 pounds of flour, and 72 poolishes later, and the results thus far for a 48 hour 55° poolish: total failure. A few got halfway risen, but for the most part, they failed to fizzle even a little. The bread puns are endless: What am I trying to prove? What indeed. 55° is not it. On to 60°.

Also I have concluded that much like homebrewing, at no point in hobby pizza making do you ever actually spend less money. Rather, the quality of the pizza rises, while money continues to get spent on ticky tacky bullshit. Last month was the milligram scale. Next month is a heating pad for my fermentation station: the oven light method doesn't quite offer enough control. It never ends.

Goondolences. Sometimes that's how science goes.

I've been working on my sourdough crust recipe for about 3 months at this point and I feel like no closer than when I started.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I said some stuff about my poolish experience at some point, but I don't remember when. Going back something like over a decade ago, my first pizza recipe had a poolish step. I screwed around with it, but I always ended up adding yeast when making real dough out of it.

I would say it wasn't for nought. The hydration was particularly useful and equalized a lot of flours. With a poolish, I could get comparable dough performance from a mix of the cheapest AP supermarket flour boosted with vital wheat gluten as I would get from King Arthur bread flour without poolish.

Wow, that was a run-on.

I have more recently messed with sourdough starters and figured out a few things about the critters from that. If I have an old, dead starter, I can get it kicking if I double the mass of it out on the counter for a half day before fridging it. Then it would start a prison riot in the fridge. So I would say if you want that poolish to do all the work that you will have to step up to the final volume. I don't think that is unusual.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm not sure I understand. I'm doing a backslop, 50% by weight, at the 24 hour mark on half the samples. Is that what you mean?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't figure out what "backslop" is.

The comparison to my starter is probably trickier, since that is an ongoing party of critters that have risen and fallen multiple times over the past few years. My anecdote of doubling it and letting it warm a bit on the counter probably doesn't transfer 100% to a new poolish.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
For the backslop cultures: I halve the starting mass, ferment 24 hours, then add that other half back in, and wait another 24 hours.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Can someone explain what a “backslop” culture is? I want to do a little write up of my process working with my sourdough poolish, but I’ve never heard the phrase backslop before in baking.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm just gonna post the pages where I first heard the term

Basically my terminology is all hosed up because I'm trying to split the difference between a poolish and a starter :shrug:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

For the backslop cultures: I halve the starting mass, ferment 24 hours, then add that other half back in, and wait another 24 hours.

This isn’t backslop culturing. To backslop you take a bit of the previous cycle (some dough you didn’t use to bake, some kombucha you didn’t bottle) and add it to the new batch. It serves the purpose of lowering the starting pH into a range more ideal for the microbes you want, and into a less ideal range for the ones you really don’t.

So you can take a bit of the fermented sourdough and add it back into your starter, but you’re basically doing it already when you remove the part you’re using for dough and then just normally feed the starter. The backslop is what’s left of the starter in this concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Bear with me for a moment: so for a proper backslop, you remove half of the existing culture, and then add flour and water to replace the lost mass. Repeat a few times, and it only grows more flavorful, yeah?

But is there a reason you couldn't just start off with, say, 1/8 the mass of your desired end product, (ferment & double) x 3, and then end up with the same effect?