Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I wonder if there’s a play to trade for him, wait for Ohtani to sign somewhere, and then negotiate an extension that puts Soto in similar company as Ohtani’s deal. Ohtani is the better player right now but every team can afford whatever his contract is and 10 years of Soto starting at age 25 is as close as you’re gonna get to a decently-aging long-term contract.

This is delusional. I know this. I don’t care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Any team trading for Soto has to get permission to talk to boras first and negotiate an extension framework, no? It would be insane to give up more than a pittance to the Padres otherwise. Are they allowed to do NBA-style sign-and-trades in the MLB?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It depends on the cost. Like if it really just takes a Morel then you can take the risk on one year of Soto. But if it’s a bigger package then you probably need more assurance it’s not a rental. But that also certainly depends on the team and where they’re at. And whether this happens in the winter or at the deadline.

So I don’t know.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Any team trading for Soto has to get permission to talk to boras first and negotiate an extension framework, no? It would be insane to give up more than a pittance to the Padres otherwise. Are they allowed to do NBA-style sign-and-trades in the MLB?

They can ask but unless they want to just cut him a check for $600 million, he's probably not going to sign.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah at best you’re gonna get an empty promise that you’ll get a chance to negotiate before free agency. But anything short of a blow away deal will just be rejected unless he’s secretly hiding a robotic ankle or something.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

It's irrelevant really. Boras clients don't sign extensions, not unless Boras is convinced he won't get a dollar more on the open market. Anyone trading for Soto is acquiring only one (1) year of his services. After that if they want to employ him they'll have to pay full retail price--the same as if they'd just waited until next winter to sign him as a free agent.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

They got NOTHING out of Severino, Cortes and Rodon and still had the 9th best ERA in the majors as a team. The lineup is by far the bigger need.

Yeah and you think that is repeatable? There is zero reason not to be all over Yamamoto in addition to finding offensive help. If you end up moving Schmidt for a bat you are replacing him with Yamamoto which is uh... more than likely significantly upgrading.

It's only money and the dude is a huge star in Japan, they used to be all about those guys

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Soto isn't signing an extension, he is purely a rental. Don't make me tap the sign.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Yeah and you think that is repeatable? There is zero reason not to be all over Yamamoto in addition to finding offensive help. If you end up moving Schmidt for a bat you are replacing him with Yamamoto which is uh... more than likely significantly upgrading.

It's only money and the dude is a huge star in Japan, they used to be all about those guys

Yeah I think 9th is repeatable. They will get more from Rodon/Cortes and whoever takes Sevy's spot than they did last year. If they are going to sign Yamamoto and ALSO put in the necessary resources toward turning over the offense then I'm cool with that. I just don't believe Hal is going to do that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they’ll probably make a run at Yamamoto but it’s always a question of whether their scouting matches the price tag. But there will probably be more pressure to make the signing they can sell in a press conference. In some scenario they hold a joint pc after the winter meetings with Yamamoto and Bellinger and make a hard press in the media that it represents a change.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How good is Yamamoto expected to be?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I think they’ll probably make a run at Yamamoto but it’s always a question of whether their scouting matches the price tag. But there will probably be more pressure to make the signing they can sell in a press conference. In some scenario they hold a joint pc after the winter meetings with Yamamoto and Bellinger and make a hard press in the media that it represents a change.

Bellinger would be a HIGHLY risky signing. It makes much more sense this offseason to go with multiple lower dollar changes and not high ticket items because as i keep saying like a broken clock the lineup needs to be completely revamped. I won't view this offseason as a success unless they have at least 4-5 different starters in the lineup vs last year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That’s not happening so congrats on being free to complain.

I don’t necessarily thing Yamamoto or Bellinger are slam dunk signings. But if the Yankees want to make a splash and aren’t willing or able to go after Ohtani or Soto then they’re probably the 1-2 combo that could create a narrative shift and potentially actually help the team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

That’s not happening so congrats on being free to complain.

I don’t necessarily thing Yamamoto or Bellinger are slam dunk signings. But if the Yankees want to make a splash and aren’t willing or able to go after Ohtani or Soto then they’re probably the 1-2 combo that could create a narrative shift and potentially actually help the team.

I think it will be somewhere between what they need to do and your insane expectation of running back the worst yankee team in 30 years with 1 new guy.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Exodor posted:

It's so loving stupid and I know the Royals are going to somehow get hosed because of it.

Speaking of the Royals getting treated unfairly, here's a snippet from the on-going trial of Sam Bankman-Fried:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/BizballMaury/status/1718326149447872921

thread

by far my favorite is Phillies which is just a baseball player smoking a cigarette but the cigarette is also part of a baseball

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 29, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You can't fool me the Pirates one is just Charlie Blackmon in a hat.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Philly, Brewer, and Mariner are great

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sydin posted:

Soto isn't signing an extension, he is purely a rental. Don't make me tap the sign.

It still wasn't a bad deal imo.

The playoffs didn't pan out last year and this year was about as hosed as you can get from a run differential standpoint.

Sprinkle in some injuries and it was just getting a bad 2023 hand dealt.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It still wasn't a bad deal imo.

The playoffs didn't pan out last year and this year was about as hosed as you can get from a run differential standpoint.

Sprinkle in some injuries and it was just getting a bad 2023 hand dealt.

I 100% agree. Seidler is a loving coward and he should be running it back instead of panicking and slashing payroll. The Padres have a shitload of talent on the books and there's no way they're actually a true 82 win team.

Alas dipshit billionaires gonna dipshit billionaire.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I think 9th is repeatable. They will get more from Rodon/Cortes and whoever takes Sevy's spot than they did last year. If they are going to sign Yamamoto and ALSO put in the necessary resources toward turning over the offense then I'm cool with that. I just don't believe Hal is going to do that.

Cortes and Rodon right now can't be trusted and going into the season with the same staff and assuming they'll be better than last year just because is dumb and I'd expect you to know that. Also have to account for the fact Cole might have some kind of drop off too

I want no part of Bellinger, I don't trust his come back. Yes the offense needs work

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I think we can all agree that this roster needs more than they reasonably will get in one year, both because this market is thin outside of Ohtani and Yamamoto and because Cashman and Hal aren’t going to the Cohen bracket, which would be necessary to fully rebuild in one offseason.

I agree that Bellinger is probably smoke. I hope it’s not but I don’t think they’re in a position to take a nine figure risk on one good season propped up by shaky peripherals.

I believe the scouting consensus on Yamamoto is a #2/1a, which would be a huge addition over everyone but Cole. He’ll also pay for himself over the contract given his fame in Japan.

I think mcmagic is right that the team needs to upgrade its depth and role players but I think they don’t want to trade the young guys to get a bunch of older 2-WAR dudes. On the FA market, Kermeier, Candelario, Urshela all seem like good adds but only Kermeier has an obvious position to fill without blocking a younger player they’re hot on, or an existing old player they’re financially committed to.

We’ve all played OOTP. This is one of those times when you’re stuck paying the back ends of contracts you signed when the window was wide open and you’re gonna suck for a while until you’re out from under them or some prospects pan out.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 29, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

thread

by far my favorite is Phillies which is just a baseball player smoking a cigarette but the cigarette is also part of a baseball
Go Bbackks

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/D1SCHER/status/1718658229318963604

It's Nightengale so it's not true but it'd be pretty cool.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

live with fruit posted:

https://twitter.com/D1SCHER/status/1718658229318963604

It's Nightengale so it's not true but it'd be pretty cool.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I learned that Torii Hunter is unfortunately kinda a religious nut homophobe so as such I do wish him to get the Angels managerial job because that is punishment

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would be perfect for the Angels to hire a problematic guy who has no managerial experience to run a team that is going to be pretty poo poo next year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Phillies rejected myoffer to be president of baseball operations

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Intruder posted:

thread

I don't have twitter so I can't seem to see the thread - can some kind soul please post/link them here?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'll post the Phillies one, my favorite

also look at that bat

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

also look at that bat
Sexy Steve Buchemi

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

thread

i thought it's a ray of light now and not a stupid fish?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

also look at that bat

The Phillies went all in on non-euclidean batting and vibes the last two seasons, so this checks out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

i thought it's a ray of light now and not a stupid fish?

It's both.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Rays are dope and not stupid, hth

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

This take is so bad that it makes all your yankee hating look reasonable.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

maffew buildings posted:

This man speaks the truth.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

mcmagic posted:

This take is so bad that it makes all your yankee hating look reasonable.

Steve Irwin's widow hates Rays less than you.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Steve Irwin's widow hates Rays less than you.

The fish or the light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

:dafuq:

It's hard being a Royals fan sometimes.

gently caress SBF. I hope he enjoys spending the rest of his life in a minimum security prison that's probably nicer than my house.