Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I would give any of my Earthly possessions to be in the courtroom those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

I imagine it took days of discussion to figure out the order to call the kids in. Like, do you want to start with the coke head, or the one who is dumb by Trump standards? Some real tough pros and cons comparisons going on there. Plus you've got to figure in whether you want to start or end with the competent one who seems to have realized they were in way over their head, and that this was all jeopardizing her personal grift journey.

Call Tiffany first before they all try and flip on her.

Nervous posted:

Judge makes him snort the entire bag right there in front of the court as punishment. Then jail. Maybe he makes him continue testifying before jail. Also a nominal fine.

Don Jr.: Punishment? I was going to do the whole bag at once anyway.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I'm revising my prediction

Don Jr - Don't know nothing your honor!
Eric - IT WAS DON JR
Ivanka - IT WAS DON JR
Donald - IT WAS DON JR SAD!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1718768180317839657

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gag and Regag.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Trump Legal Troubles: He's gagging for a gagging.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I would like very much for him to continue pushing the line and to end up jailed.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"Funny, I don't feel gagged.. "

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"You can't tweet here, this is the Gag Room!"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I would like very much for him to continue pushing the line and to end up jailed.

I doubt that's even possible. The court is playing extremely cautiously and he could probably literally set a court order on fire right there in the courtroom and just get a small fine and a stern warning.

Any of his co-conspirators, yes, so they're all being careful, but you're not going to see a former president jailed for contempt. No court would dare set that precedent.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Bible posted:

No court would dare set that precedent.

I think a court very much should set that precedent, because it is the idea that all are equal under the law.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Trump Legal Troubles: He's gagging for a gagging.

Don't kink shame

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jesus III posted:

Don't kink shame

Trump Legal Troubles: We're gagging for a gagging.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Trump Legal Troubles: We're gagging for a gagging.

Trump Legal Troubles: Bring Out the Gimp

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
A gaggle of gag orders

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hillary should start turning up to his court cases. Sit in the public gallery and just watch. He would go out of his mind.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

knox_harrington posted:

Hillary should start turning up to his court cases. Sit in the public gallery and just watch. He would go out of his mind.

Hillary and Obama, just sitting in the front row, laughing, would just infuriate him into doing the stupidest poo poo you can think of.
It would be like xmas and a birthday rolled into one.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OgNar posted:

Hillary and Obama, just sitting in the front row, laughing, would just infuriate him into doing the stupidest poo poo you can think of.
It would be like xmas and a birthday rolled into one.

:hmmyes:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think a court very much should set that precedent, because it is the idea that all are equal under the law.

Yeah but we all know that rich powerful people are more equal than the rest of us.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Everyone keeps forgetting that Jr. is the (relatively) smart one.

Eric on the stand is gonna be a train wreck. I’m expecting some Kit Daniels level poo poo.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

very prepared for a gaggle of gaggings

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Going gaga for gagging

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I know this is a joke, but that would be a terrible idea. There's a reason that Democrats are largely trying to stay at arms length from the trials, because anything like that will be seen by Trump's supporters as proof that it's all a witch-hunt, and any crumb given would help them convince others on the fence of that

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hopefully, anyone outside the cult has given up trying to mollify the cult.

It would be loving hilarious, one for the ages, and he would have a thrombo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Senor Tron posted:

I know this is a joke, but that would be a terrible idea. There's a reason that Democrats are largely trying to stay at arms length from the trials, because anything like that will be seen by Trump's supporters as proof that it's all a witch-hunt, and any crumb given would help them convince others on the fence of that

Compromise : Kathy Griffin.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That very clearly is not the case, though, and no judge sitting today is going to suggest it is.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

I doubt that's even possible. The court is playing extremely cautiously and he could probably literally set a court order on fire right there in the courtroom and just get a small fine and a stern warning.

Any of his co-conspirators, yes, so they're all being careful, but you're not going to see a former president jailed for contempt. No court would dare set that precedent.

As far as I'm aware, it's pretty rare for people to get jailed for contempt, especially for something minor like "stop tweeting about my clerks". Federal contempt law and jurisprudence is (to my layman's eyes) annoyingly complex even by law standards, but the general rule of thumb seems to be that the power to summarily jail someone with minimal due process is a power that judges are expected to exercise rarely and only when really necessary. If Trump ignores enough fines, he may eventually get jailed, but this isn't something so urgent that the judge doesn't have time to see if fines solve the problem first.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Bible posted:

That very clearly is not the case, though, and no judge sitting today is going to suggest it is.

No I think you’re wrong. That’s rather point of all of this. That’s the reason any of this is happening.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Oh, well. Shouldn't commit 91 felonies then.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1718914651248087450

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

DONATE NOW FOR 1,000X MATCH. ARE YOU MAGA ENOUGH?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Meh, 100 milly isn't a big deal for a multi-billionaire. Why does he care?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Main Paineframe posted:

As far as I'm aware, it's pretty rare for people to get jailed for contempt, especially for something minor like "stop tweeting about my clerks". Federal contempt law and jurisprudence is (to my layman's eyes) annoyingly complex even by law standards, but the general rule of thumb seems to be that the power to summarily jail someone with minimal due process is a power that judges are expected to exercise rarely and only when really necessary. If Trump ignores enough fines, he may eventually get jailed, but this isn't something so urgent that the judge doesn't have time to see if fines solve the problem first.
It's also about eliminating as many avenues for a subsequent review of the case to be declared a mistrial.

It makes for great TV drama when an overgrown Oompa Loompa thumbs their nose enough times at court procedures to cause the exasperated judge to throw the RULEBREAKER in jail. You get a nice pre credit scene where a reporter asks the dude from his jail cell if it was worth it. Regardless of the answer you get the message that of of course crime doesn't pay!

In the real world enough follow throughs on contempt can be cause to show that there was bias and the defender didn't get a fair trial. The the message is: if the judge and the court can't stand their feelings getting hurt or breaches of decorum, then crime can indeed pay.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

Compromise : Kathy Griffin.

Nah, Rosie O' Donnell

Make that dish of revenge cold.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Again, though, people who aren't getting the Emerald+ Tier legal experience go from zero to 'Get hosed, loser. Contempt, lock 'em up" all the time. Every step of the way, EVERY one, this has demonstrated that we have a two tier justice system and no, everybody is not equal under the law. Some are more equal than others.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

As far as I'm aware, it's pretty rare for people to get jailed for contempt, especially for something minor like "stop tweeting about my clerks".

Eh, Engoron and Chutkan both recognize that Trumps tweets are directing his followers to perform acts of violence.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 30, 2023

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I used to work the child support circuit and those guys get thrown in jail all the time for contempt

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No I think you’re wrong. That’s rather point of all of this. That’s the reason any of this is happening.

That's how it should be, I agree, but that isn't how it is, and I can't fathom how anyone can think otherwise.

Forget Trump's crimes for a moment and just imagine his behavior in court and how it would go for a poor person. The law is very clearly not applied equally to everyone.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Chutkan's order lifting the stay on the gag order: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149.124.0.pdf

quote:

...he asserts that the court “cite[d] no evidence supporting its findings of risks of harassment and witness intimidation, and the prosecution provided none.”

“(Undisputed testimony cited by the government demonstrates that when Defendant has publicly attacked individuals, including on matters related to this case, those individuals are consequently threatened and harassed. See ECF No. 57 at 3–5.”); see also ECF No. 60 (failing to dispute or even discuss the testimonies cited by the government). The evidence is in the record; Defendant simply fails to acknowledge it....

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 30, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I used to work the child support circuit and those guys get thrown in jail all the time for contempt

A woman got 90 days (cut down to one) for laughing during her daughter’s DUI homicide trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Well, yeah, somebody failing or refusing to make a court-ordered payment is a problem that's very unlikely to be solved by the court ordering that person to pay a fine. It's pretty much a perfect example of a problem that begs for a solution besides fines.