Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I take it you are never locked permanently out of going to a place without a warning right? Like obviously I'm gonna be coming back to this lake area with all the doors/locks that require various tools that I don't have but is that going to be the case with every area so I can feel free to not scour the gently caress out of them the first time I go there?

Similarly with Alan's section, which I've basically only just started, I've just gone down into the subway, I looked around the map after I got the stuff marked on it, found as many words of power as I could, one of them seemed to be on the other side of a door that I'll unlock coming out of a place later, are his sections basically also pretty free to explore too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I take it you are never locked permanently out of going to a place without a warning right? Like obviously I'm gonna be coming back to this lake area with all the doors/locks that require various tools that I don't have but is that going to be the case with every area so I can feel free to not scour the gently caress out of them the first time I go there?

Similarly with Alan's section, which I've basically only just started, I've just gone down into the subway, I looked around the map after I got the stuff marked on it, found as many words of power as I could, one of them seemed to be on the other side of a door that I'll unlock coming out of a place later, are his sections basically also pretty free to explore too?

The game will eventuallyliterally force you to make a manual save before its singular point of no return so that even if you beat the game you have an earlier save right before doing so.

Nothing is ever permanently blocked off, so do find as much or as little as you want. There is one part in the first of Alan's dungeons (the subway) where you wont be allowed to go back until after you progress a little further in the story, but this is only an issue if you're me most likely.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Agreed with the bad save system of the game. There was a moment where I finished a chapter, I started another one, I advanced enough to have the big bold red letters with the title of the new chapter, I exited the game... and I discovered later I started again in the previous chapter. WTF

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm at a complete loss for what to do next. I have done absolutely every clue I can find, nothing pending. I am supposed to perform the ritual. When I look up what I need to do next it looks like I need to find a heart in the cooler that is in the room where the guy busts out of the wall, but I don't have that aura that requires a flashlight. Not sure if I missed something or the game is bugged but I'm getting kind of frustrated.

As much as I like this game otherwise I am insanely sick of this murder scene area. It's annoying to get around in and I feel like I have spent way too much time here. Kinda groaned when they made me go back.

I got stuck in the same exact spot, and it turns out I just wasn't diligent about updating my case board. While there are moments where the game lets you stumble into a sequence break, you need to get yourself into the habit of updating your clue board. Otherwise, some objective prompts just plain won't show up.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

WaltherFeng posted:

IIRC you have to stand in a very specific spot when you interact with the lights so you will be in the correct spot when the room chsnges or something. Kinda hard to explain without youtube

Yeah, I've been watching some videos and what they do just doesn't seem to work for me. There's probably something obvious I'm not doing

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, what the gently caress, is there no way to burn away an enemy's darkness if you've run out of batteries? I'm stuck standing here like an rear end in a top hat in what still feels like the tutorial, wondering if I just need to reload a safe, which is a stupid, stupid fail state for a game. The first game didn't do that! The final battery should recharge!!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Unless it’s a boss you can just run

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

RandolphCarter posted:

Unless it’s a boss you can just run

We'll fuckin' see, I have my doubts since I'm about to do a thing that, in the in-game fiction, doesn't seem like it can be rushed, and it's going to be really, really dumb if it switches to a cut scene of me doing a traversal mechanic and the bad guy that was on my heels is just gone. This is loving stupid; the final battery segment should recharge, and I shouldn't have to spend combat resources on non optional exploration mechanics like burning away black shadow on items. Bad, bad, bad.

Edit: yuuuuuuup that's exactly what happened, the game is acting like there wasn't someone right behind me and now completely checked out of this experience.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 29, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The game will drop batteries when you get low like candy, so Im honestly kind of impressed you got to that point but now I know they did just go for a "go scrounge chump" solution.

I really dont care for the flashlight changes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah I dont have any experience on AW games but I almost ran into this trap of not having any charges because I was still getting used to the controls.

The game does seem to be pretty generous with charges past this initial hurdle

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Barudak posted:

The game will drop batteries when you get low like candy, so Im honestly kind of impressed you got to that point but now I know they did just go for a "go scrounge chump" solution.

I really dont care for the flashlight changes.

This is more a tutorial issue because its possible to waste all your charges and get thrown into your first combat where they are supposed to teach you the thing

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And now I died in the tutorial fight, on normal, after having beaten every previous Remedy game, including the highest difficulty settings of Max Payne 1 and 2. Like yeah, sure, I just need to get good, but I'm finding the visual language of the game kind of confusing. Shoot a dude tell his red glow stops...do you keep you shooting?

Fuckin' great, unlike Max Payne repeating horror game segments is the worst loving thing, because it doesn't just not land the second time, it actively undermines the previous experience.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

And now I died in the tutorial fight, on normal, after having beaten every previous Remedy game, including the highest difficulty settings of Max Payne 1 and 2. Like yeah, sure, I just need to get good, but I'm finding the visual language of the game kind of confusing. Shoot a dude tell his red glow stops...do you keep you shooting?

Fuckin' great, unlike Max Payne repeating horror game segments is the worst loving thing, because it doesn't just not land the second time, it actively undermines the previous experience.

do you really need a tutorial to tell you 'shoot the bad guy until he's dead, if he's still walking towards you he's not dead'

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Shoot everything till it dies yes.

Also read the tutorials from the pause menu. Especially the combat ones. They have tips for individual enemy types. This is legit very helpful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bardeh posted:

do you really need a tutorial to tell you 'shoot the bad guy until he's dead, if he's still walking towards you he's not dead'

That was what I defaulted to, yes, and then I ran of batteries again and didn't get a recharge until Nightingale grabbed me I got to perform a QTE (bad), that gave me be back batteries but also slung me akwardledly into a corner of the woods with branches in my view. It's just, the combat is not making a good first impression on me, at all. I heard other people say the same thing about Control, and while that wasn't my experience with that game, it matches how I'm feeling about this one. Whatever, I'm going to stop playing for now, do something else with my time, and come back to the game when I'm not as annoyed. I'm sure it's a great game, I just need to take a break because what should have been a finale of the opening has just been a frustrating mess.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Also, if someone hasn't dared to try yet, you get free refills of battery if you run out when you need it for puzzles. So you can never get really stuck that way.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It took me a little bit to get that the flashlight boost input this time around was a tap, not hold. Wasted a fair bit of battery in the first hour or so holding down the button

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

You also get a free refill when you die/load. Shoot the glowy bit for bonus damage, then shoot them in the head until they’re dead. Eventually you’ll be swimming in so much gear you’re inventory and storage will be full

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the drop/resource system is weird enough that i'm surprised they didnt just make your "first" flashlight charge free or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this game is a bit buggy, the two big ones that caused me to lose progress are - hitting a "next" dialogue option too fast sometimes fucks up and softlocks the game by not playing the next dialogue segment, and sometimes if you do stuff too fast in the case wall screens it'll softlock by not letting you exit out of it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bardeh posted:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yet another collectathon bug. the final nursery rhyme doll can't be picked up. don't know if it's because of where i solved the last rhyme

this game is not kind to completionists at the moment, there's just too many bugs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this game is a bit buggy, the two big ones that caused me to lose progress are - hitting a "next" dialogue option too fast sometimes fucks up and softlocks the game by not playing the next dialogue segment, and sometimes if you do stuff too fast in the case wall screens it'll softlock by not letting you exit out of it

Theres a bit after the point of no return where if you are too eager to do the thing Saga says to do in her mind palace I guaranteed a softlock staring at the wall unable to interact or exit from it. Its such an annoying consistent problem in a game where dialog seems to pause unnaturally long between sentences to the point where Im never sure if people are done talking.

Oxxidation posted:

yet another collectathon bug. the final nursery rhyme doll can't be picked up. don't know if it's because of where i solved the last rhyme

this game is not kind to completionists at the moment, there's just too many bugs

Cant say this will work for you, but for me exiting out and re entering allowed me to pick it up. Im not an expert but it feels like something is getting frazzled in the code where the rule for "dont let the player interact with stuff while people are talking" freaks out when you're in the zoom in/mind palace screens already when said dialog kicks off.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 29, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Barudak posted:

Theres a bit after the point of no return where if you are too eager to do the thing Saga says to do in her mind palace I guaranteed a softlock staring at the wall unable to interact or exit from it. Its such an annoying consistent problem in a game where dialog seems to pause unnaturally long between sentences.

i think it's similar to the bug that happens there if you just like, "do stuff" too quickly on the case wall screen where it gets stuck trying to "put down" a picture and won't let you exit out of the case wall

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's similar to the bug that happens there if you just like, "do stuff" too quickly on the case wall screen where it gets stuck trying to "put down" a picture and won't let you exit out of the case wall

I had a bunch of pictures get nailed to the wall in the wrong spots as well trying to dump my cards onto the wall and the game hitching to give me Saga-logues.

Fixes itself when you exit and re-enter, so lucky the game has known "correct" positions for everything

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
hot drat, Saga Chapter 3 Ahti's got some pipes

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I went up a ladder perhaps a little too quickly and gently floated off of it. Ending up walking around the sky for a bit before I reloaded.

I also had the entrance of a save room I used previously slightly blocked off by a cabinet or something from the inside. I can't tell if that was intentional or not lol.

poe meater fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 29, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm in Alan's hotel chapter and I'm getting really frustrated at this one segment where your running away from the dark presence again. I just keep loving dying, for no reason sometimes near as I can tell. First you have to double back because it pops out in front of you but doing this made me die the first time so I thought that was the wrong idea and futzed about the next two tries looking for open rooms maybe I was supposed to duck into, but no it really was just run back to the other hall, but now there are shadows that don't do anything but every time I almost get to the light, I die. again. Is it touching the shadows? I've been trying not to do that and don't think I have, even.

I keep finding these gameplay rough patches that are dragging it down for me, yeesh.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay need some help, just after the first boss we're on the shore with alan, the optional objective is to investigate the area but all i've found is the one cult stash. i've run all up and down both sides of the beach and haven't seen any other interactables. what do i need to look for?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

site posted:

okay need some help, just after the first boss we're on the shore with alan, the optional objective is to investigate the area but all i've found is the one cult stash. i've run all up and down both sides of the beach and haven't seen any other interactables. what do i need to look for?

there's an entire section of the map that's now accessible after the floods went down, its outside the beach area

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh jeeze, i thought it meant the beach lol thanks

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Bug in spoiler, I guess?

So I'm stuck at a part where there's supposed to be two sources of light to steal. Every video and stream I've watched shows the two sources of light. In my game though there is only one. I literally cannot get passed this spot.

The two quick saves I have are at the same spot, no difference. And the last manual save I have is 3 hours ago. I think I'm just done with this game. Sucks, I was enjoying it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm just too stupid for this game apparently.

So what happened was I took the second light source and went elsewhere with it, leaving it behind there. Like a dummy.

Panderfringe fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 29, 2023

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yelp Review:

"This hotel is really nice and has that PNW vibe like the Great Northern in Twin Peaks. For some reason they don't turn on the lights in their hallways?

Oh, and while I was in my room getting ready some lady went running up and down the hall while holding a flashlight. She was going into everyone's rooms WTF."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Somehow light boosting is very fiddly and I end up wasting charges because I cant seem to hit the enemy with it sometimes

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Caidin posted:

I'm in Alan's hotel chapter and I'm getting really frustrated at this one segment where your running away from the dark presence again. I just keep loving dying, for no reason sometimes near as I can tell. First you have to double back because it pops out in front of you but doing this made me die the first time so I thought that was the wrong idea and futzed about the next two tries looking for open rooms maybe I was supposed to duck into, but no it really was just run back to the other hall, but now there are shadows that don't do anything but every time I almost get to the light, I die. again. Is it touching the shadows? I've been trying not to do that and don't think I have, even.

I keep finding these gameplay rough patches that are dragging it down for me, yeesh.

This got me too. When the dark presence appears in front of you and collapses the ceiling, it is literally in front of you now. You have to reverse and go through back the other way, pass the elevators and run out the other way. Not sure if the shadows come into play, I know I hit a few a survived.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 29, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WaltherFeng posted:

Somehow light boosting is very fiddly and I end up wasting charges because I cant seem to hit the enemy with it sometimes

You wanna just tap it to disperse the shadows and only crank it when you need to expose/stagger the material bad guys.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think its also because the flaslight doesnt have a crosshair so sometimes I waste half a charge trying to hit the guy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Having a lot of fun in this, but I seem to be stuck in chapter 2: I know I have to do the ritual with the heart and the witch sign, but I can't figure out how to get the heart. The game told me there was something more to do at the general store, and when I eventually gave in and looked it up, sure enough the heart is supposed to be in the freezer there. But nothing special has shown up with the freezer for me, even after reloading a save. Is there something I'm missing that's supposed to spawn it?

I have no idea whether there's something I'm supposed to do in game, if it's just borked for some reason. Any ideas?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain Hygiene posted:

Having a lot of fun in this, but I seem to be stuck in chapter 2: I know I have to do the ritual with the heart and the witch sign, but I can't figure out how to get the heart. The game told me there was something more to do at the general store, and when I eventually gave in and looked it up, sure enough the heart is supposed to be in the freezer there. But nothing special has shown up with the freezer for me, even after reloading a save. Is there something I'm missing that's supposed to spawn it?

I have no idea whether there's something I'm supposed to do in game, if it's just borked for some reason. Any ideas?

Go to the Mind Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

That was what I defaulted to, yes, and then I ran of batteries again and didn't get a recharge until...

But, do you know to use the flashlight like in the first game to start doing damage to the enemies? It seems the flashlight serves to reveal weak spots. Can you kill them without using the weakspot?