Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Halloween Jack posted:

It's insane to me that he didn't lose the tattoo for sumo, but he did it for WCW.

Why was the tattoo a problem in sumo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Japan famously don’t like tattoos, and if he wanted to make any real progress in the sport he’d have to have had it removed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

tattoos are taboo in japan, over there its often a sign you're involved with organized crime. lots of gyms etc dont let you in if you have visible tattoos.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Japan hates the LSU Tigers. When you arrive at Narita Airport the first thing you see is a massive Roll Tide banner

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 28, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Japan hates the LSU Tigers. When you arrive at Narita Airport the first thing you see is a massive Roll tide banner

Nick Saban confirmed as the final boss for One Piece

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

tattoos are associated with the yakuza and tenta was giving the option of having his tattoo removed and advance the sumo ranks or keep it and stay where he was and eventually get kicked he opted to leave because sumo is more painful and taxing on the body than professional wrestling

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i do not know why tenta decided to change the tattoo to a shark perhaps he thought sharks were cooler than tigers

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i do not know why tenta decided to change the tattoo to a shark perhaps he thought sharks were cooler than tigers

wcw asked him to when they gave him The Shark character, then when he went and got it they were all "yknow what sharks are kind of lame"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

wcw asked him to when they gave him The Shark character, then when he went and got it they were all "yknow what sharks are kind of lame"

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
by god... i believed in that company

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Japan hates the LSU Tigers. When you arrive at Narita Airport the first thing you see is a massive Roll Tide banner

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He should have gotten the tattoo changed again to his own face after he cut the promo where he quit the Shark gimmick by shouting "I AM NOT A FISH, I AM A MAN"

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sounds like the perfect cross promotional spot for shark week on discovery channel, a division of warner brothers discovery. book it!

civilwhat
Apr 24, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

He should have lied and said it was an Hanshin Tigers tatoo.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Alaois posted:

He should have gotten the tattoo changed again to his own face after he cut the promo where he quit the Shark gimmick by shouting "I AM NOT A FISH, I AM A MAN"

I know this sounds really silly, but I honestly liked this promo. He had some great babyface energy to him and he probably could’ve worked out, or at least that’s what that promo got me believing. It never did work out, which had young me very disappointed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

finalcake posted:

I know this sounds really silly, but I honestly liked this promo. He had some great babyface energy to him and he probably could’ve worked out, or at least that’s what that promo got me believing. It never did work out, which had young me very disappointed.

As good a heel as Tenta was, he was such a nice man in real life that when he played face he was great at it. Just a really underrated talent top to bottom.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

John Tenta was one of my favorites that I wished they did more with anywhere he went

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
same, Huge mark for Shockmaster Typhoon and Earthquake tag team

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Tenta was supposed to be in Piper's faction of kilted dudes who were gonna fight the nWo before Arn Anderson canceled the angle live on TV.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

Tenta was supposed to be in Piper's faction of kilted dudes who were gonna fight the nWo before Arn Anderson canceled the angle live on TV.

Piper's weird little crew + Tenta was actually supposed to be the actual thing at one?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Piper's weird little crew + Tenta was actually supposed to be the actual thing at one?

They were going to main event Uncensored 97 against the nWo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Arn did what??

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That Piper's Family creation segment is probably the worst thing I've seen ever in wrestling that didn't involve someone's death.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

it is an actual Trainwreck. I love it W-W-WCW 4 lyfe

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

That Piper's Family creation segment is probably the worst thing I've seen ever in wrestling that didn't involve someone's death.

This whole run with Piper is a wild trainwreck where he locked himself up in Alcatraz for some reason, refused to join the Four Horsemen, introduced his own team of randos ( and John Tenta) and then immediately replaced them them with the Four Horsemen, inserted himself and the Four Horsemen into the WCW vs NWO feud and basically cost WCW control of the company in the process, and then the Four Horsemen immediately turned on him.

Also in the midst of all that he beat Hogan like 4 or 5 times at the peak of the NWO and it never amounted to anything???

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
hogan desperately wanted a clean win over piper but could never get one in either the wwf or wcw lol

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Even though it's funny in hindsight Hogan v Piper with Hogan winning cleanly probably should have been the WM 1 or 2 main.
Buuuut the business model was different back then.
And of course you had to get Mr. T involved. I say this without irony. Vince knew the key to the American imagination was spectacle and he delivered.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

hogan desperately wanted a clean win over piper but could never get one in either the wwf or wcw lol

and bless him for it, imo

for that and for "THAT'S TONY ATLAS!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

Even though it's funny in hindsight Hogan v Piper with Hogan winning cleanly probably should have been the WM 1 or 2 main.
And of course you had to get Mr. T involved. I say this without irony. Vince knew the key to the American imagination was spectacle and he delivered.

Piper I don't think did clean wins by 1985 or so.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It made him losing to Bret at Wrestlemania really stand out, I don't recall ever seeing Piper actually lose besides that one

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

It made him losing to Bret at Wrestlemania really stand out, I don't recall ever seeing Piper actually lose besides that one

That's a great example. I remember in his book Bret felt honored he actually got a clean pinfall (or submission, I forget) off the Hot Rod.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Who replaces schivano after he leaves suddenly in '89?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jim ross

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

"PUT ON YOUR WIFE'S GLASSES!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIsNNL3sKl4

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 1, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ChrisBTY posted:

piper knew that if he lost to hogan he'd go down the card he was just protecting his spot, brother

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

That's a great example. I remember in his book Bret felt honored he actually got a clean pinfall (or submission, I forget) off the Hot Rod.

Same finish as Bret vs Austin I, turned a sleeper into a pin (after Roddy realized using the ring bell wasn't right)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Same finish as Bret vs Austin I, turned a sleeper into a pin (after Roddy realized using the ring bell wasn't right)

Yup. “You know the old saying: what the hell, use the bell!” - Heenan

From the same show that also had the all-time call of “now, you gotta be fair to Flair and say that’s a heckuva robe.” followed by Heenan rephrasing “fair to Flair” about three times in eight seconds before Monsoon screams “WOULD YOU STOP?!”

WrestleMania 8 was mind blowing for young me because, holy poo poo, both the singles title matches ended without a guy using their finisher!

And then later the hilarity of The Big Leg getting kicked out of because somehow Shango missed the cue for the run-in DQ finish or completely underestimated the Hoosier Dome’s size and went “aw gently caress” when he realized the ring was waaaaaay the gently caress out there.

WM8 is a weird loving show, now that I look back on it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
"That's not fair to Flair" was one of my favorite Heenan things ever. He did it for weeks if not months and it made my stupid kid self laugh every time. Heenan was the best

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When I was a teenager, "Fair to Flair" was a years-long running gag among friends who weren't even into wrestling. Memes when all we had was AOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Sounds like some kids needed to go to school