Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MikeJF posted:

What's the detaily stuff you can turn of graphically that saves performance that won't look actively bad to be off, just simpler.

Turning off volumetric clouds, depth of field, and motion blur gave me a giant performance boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Unbound posted:

After Amber pulled that whole family up by the bootstraps and paid for Robert's education????

drat shame.

The story got more complicated! Recall this most recent event, the birth of "Rica Slater" from my previous post?

Check out her feed. She is now "Rica Johnson". She hooked up with "Rian Johnson", broke up, and is destitute with Rica living with the Johnson family!

Maybe Robert found out something he wasn't supposed to find out?

This concludes today's episode of Days of Our Cims.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

MikeC posted:

The story got more complicated! Recall this most recent event, the birth of "Rica Slater" from my previous post?

Check out her feed. She is now "Rica Johnson". She hooked up with "Rian Johnson", broke up, and is destitute with Rica living with the Johnson family!

Maybe Robert found out something he wasn't supposed to find out?

This concludes today's episode of Days of Our Cims.

THE STORYLINES!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You should be able to filter chirper so you only get popups when they have a certain number of hearts.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Turning off volumetric clouds, depth of field, and motion blur gave me a giant performance boost.

Oh yeah got those off already.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oooh the premade highway intersections are nice.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Cities Storylines 2: Infidelity and teeth Teeth TEETH

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm starting to get a decent feel for terrain tools and how to plan interchanges in advance.

Once they get the simulation working and performance fixed this should be a decent game :haw:

update: now featuring Texas-style U-turn lanes from the highway.

final with complete grading

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 29, 2023

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Ms Adequate posted:

Man why does my game keep switching to loading the ultra low quality assets/textures/etc. and back to the good ones constantly, it's incredibly distracting

Do you have Dynamic Resolution on? That might be what's up

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Can I somehow turn off visualizing zone grids when laying down road? Its so hard to understand if I'm putting down adequately aesthetic shapes with all this grid noise around. Unzoned grey grids are pretty much exact same color as asphalt.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Sumerian Telecom posted:

Can I somehow turn off visualizing zone grids when laying down road? Its so hard to understand if I'm putting down adequately aesthetic shapes with all this grid noise around. Unzoned grey grids are pretty much exact same color as asphalt.

I don't see an option for that, but you can lay down highways the size of the road you want and then "upgrade" them to streets.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

goddamit. remember to check for resources before you build

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IRL situation, time to pop out mass-use of eminent domain.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mfcrocker posted:

I’ve got Dynamic Res off with a 3090 and I’ve been having the same issue. Seems to have started when the city got larger.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of resources, does anyone have tips for making resource gathering zones not look like total garbage? I am willing to sacrifice a lot of efficiency to make this poo poo not look like a bizarre random texture error visible from space.

The game is great so far, but that makes the slightly aggravating stuff even more aggravating. I think I need to start my city over with the need for infinite low density residential sprawl in mind.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eiba posted:

Speaking of resources, does anyone have tips for making resource gathering zones not look like total garbage? I am willing to sacrifice a lot of efficiency to make this poo poo not look like a bizarre random texture error visible from space.

There's not really anything you can do, they look like poo poo and there are no detailing tools available. Going to have to wait for mods.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Man why does my game keep switching to loading the ultra low quality assets/textures/etc. and back to the good ones constantly, it's incredibly distracting

Dunno but with regards to switching assets, there's an option in advanced turned on by default about cross-fading between level of detail quality, and honestly I reckon it looks better when you turn that off and just let it do it quick, the fade almost ends up calling attention to it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's apparently a known bug, Biffa mentioned having to occasionally switch texture qualities to force it to reload the better ones.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I really wonder how a city builder might play where you can't just bulldoze poo poo at will. One where you are stuck with your terrible decisions until you get planning approved and stakeholders pacified.

I'd probably hate the game, but I want it to exist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

I really wonder how a city builder might play where you can't just bulldoze poo poo at will. One where you are stuck with your terrible decisions until you get planning approved and stakeholders pacified.

Even on a simpler level there could just be a much, much heavier cost to nabbing private property.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

I think you could make a fun city planner management style game like this but it would be very different than a SimCitySkylines style city builder.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Awesome, I flat out can't load into a level anymore, or even start a new game. I had a hard crash while playing and reverting to a previous save allowed me to fix it, but now I can't even do that. Verified files, uninstalled and reinstalled, wiped the cache and all the saves, nothing is working to get it to start up again.

e. Never mind, got it working again. I had done some regedits to try and get Control to work and it hosed up CS2 apparently.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 29, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

mfcrocker posted:

No I made sure to turn that off first thing, among other recommended graphics options.

Not sure what it's doing now though, I was playing for maybe 3 hours just now and the textures were fine but my fans sounded like they were readying for takeoff. This is a machine that can take Phantom Liberty on max settings, so :shrug:

E; just saw the post about Biffa's experiences, will give that a try if it happens again. Thanks for the replies and suggestions, goons!

E2;

Antigravitas posted:

I remember years ago, Simtropolis had a spate of city journals (ie, let's plays) where people had a house rule of basically this. Obviously with no in-game mechanics governing it they had to just fudge appropriate delays, restrictions, and so on, but it was a pretty interesting conceit for sure!

Maybe for the sake of playability you could split the difference, so you can pay out the wazoo to do it and still take a big happiness hit locally, or you can 'build' it as a proposal and get some criteria you have to fulfill in exchange, like if you're demolishing houses you need to provide new housing for the displaced residents and they better be good, or a street of stores might demand better public transit and more parking in exchange.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 29, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
OK what am I missing about exporting water? I make 500k and only use 141k. I have a road hooked up with pipes going off the map, which to my understanding from CPP's video, means I will export excess water.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ms Adequate posted:

No I made sure to turn that off first thing, among other recommended graphics options.

Not sure what it's doing now though, I was playing for maybe 3 hours just now and the textures were fine but my fans sounded like they were readying for takeoff. This is a machine that can take Phantom Liberty on max settings, so :shrug:

E; just saw the post about Biffa's experiences, will give that a try if it happens again. Thanks for the replies and suggestions, goons!

E2;

I remember years ago, Simtropolis had a spate of city journals (ie, let's plays) where people had a house rule of basically this. Obviously with no in-game mechanics governing it they had to just fudge appropriate delays, restrictions, and so on, but it was a pretty interesting conceit for sure!

Maybe for the sake of playability you could split the difference, so you can pay out the wazoo to do it and still take a big happiness hit locally, or you can 'build' it as a proposal and get some criteria you have to fulfill in exchange, like if you're demolishing houses you need to provide new housing for the displaced residents and they better be good, or a street of stores might demand better public transit and more parking in exchange.

IRL I have personally watched small businesses that were successful for decades be put out of business by a years-long road project by the state. For which the state didn't compensate them a nickel. They tried to sue the state, but it was summarily thrown out at the first hearing. The state owns the road, tough poo poo for you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

That's kinda workers and resources, in that you have to pay to bulldoze things and it takes time, and if it's a road it's gonna take you even longer to replace it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Dr. Clockwork posted:

OK what am I missing about exporting water? I make 500k and only use 141k. I have a road hooked up with pipes going off the map, which to my understanding from CPP's video, means I will export excess water.

I think basically everything is broken economically right now so I wouldn't be surprised if exporting is too

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

queeb posted:

I think basically everything is broken economically right now so I wouldn't be surprised if exporting is too

Electricity export seems to work fine, and on CPP's video he showed a positive number when he connected his pipes to the edge of the map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Electricity export seems to work fine, and on CPP's video he showed a positive number when he connected his pipes to the edge of the map.

It does work fine, although if you abruptly cut your power budget then income will briefly shoot up into the far positives as costs drop before the export income falls too.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I have a save running with both water and electricity exports working. In fact, I built a geothermal plant and I think it's actually a net positive income for me with the electricity it's exporting? I don't have the game open right now to look

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I haven't gotten to the edge of the map so haven't tested water, but power export is working fine for me. That and $50 street parking is keeping my city in the black.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't have water connected but had electricity since I started.
I produce 240mw and export 150mw ish out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does it actually deter street parking or are your cims car brained enough to pay $50?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Query: how do I add dedicated bus lanes to my 4-lane medium roads? Adding a bus stop turns the entire sidewalk into a long, massive bus stop but the bus doesn't actually, you know, drive there. So now I lose parking spaces and ti's an eyesore and my bus gets stuck in traffic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Does it actually deter street parking or are your cims car brained enough to pay $50?

It does seem to reduce parking and driving some, the streets look like they have more open spots and my tram usage went up. But I am making $166,400 a month from parking fees. And the city budget balance is $112,000 a month so I guess I can't complain about idiots keeping the government afloat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lmao I feel like $50 parking should have a catastrophic effect on people doing it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's possible some of them aren't being given a choice. I don't know what range sims are willing to walk so there may be areas of the city that aren't properly served by transit. In CS1 people would walk quite a long distance so I've been operating the same way here.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OwlFancier posted:

Lmao I feel like $50 parking should have a catastrophic effect on people doing it.

If the game is tracking net worth, income, and expenses properly, then it would likely have a negative effect on wealth growth so buildings can't level up.

Grand Fromage posted:

It does seem to reduce parking and driving some, the streets look like they have more open spots and my tram usage went up. But I am making $166,400 a month from parking fees. And the city budget balance is $112,000 a month so I guess I can't complain about idiots keeping the government afloat.

One thing I noticed is that if a family moves in via car, the car will never disappear. It will last as long as the family is in the city. I am unsure what happens to the cars if the last living family member dies without moving out. They will park their car regardless of distance. I tracked a new family that drove into the city, parked in the industrial area on the street side, and the family of 4 proceeded to take transit to reach their new home. I couldn't follow them 24/7 but at some point, they did use their car to go to work. I assume they must have used transit to get back to the car and then drive to work. They then proceeded to drive a couple of blocks away from home to park and walk the rest of the way. I don't know if they will keep using the car or what. Maybe the decision on what type of transportation to use is on a per-trip basis.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I have been playing since 9 AM. I have not unpaused the game... There have only been INTERCHANGES

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ms Adequate posted:

E2;

I think that would be a cool aspect to explore in a city builder, not only making existing buildings and roads harder to demolish willy nilly, but also having buildings be less fungible. Old factory buildings in your city, you rezone them to residential or commercial? Turns in to lofts, instead of being torn down and replaced by an entirely separate building. Historic buildings can be renovated to have new purposes, maybe have taller buildings built out of them with the old building as a facade (can you tell I'm from Toronto yet?). Doing construction on a major road has major ramifications and can actually lead to a negative outcome for the player.

Buildings could get new facades, renovations, or just age and become dilapidated. Row houses and medium density wall-to-wall buildings can be partially torn down. Houses can get additions, or be subdivided in to smaller lots. Cities could evolve over time, instead of having parts just be replaced instantly.

As much as I like Cities: Skylines, and have played it since launch, it is very much a game where you paint a city the way you want it to look, and not one where there are multiple dimensions to how the city evolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Everything you described is so difficult from a technical asset perspective, sadly.