Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WaltherFeng posted:

Sam Lake is too Finnish and I don't like it

His real name is Sami Järvi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Aw poo poo, AW2 doesn't really work properly for me. Got myself a new PC and it runs fine, but for whatever reason every single non-playable cutscene lags a little tiny bit at the beginning which throws off sound and/or video and they become mismatched.
I liked what I've played of it, so maybe I'll lower the settings even more.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Whirling posted:

I wish there was a mod for World of Horror where you could fight that jackass that shows up when you've exhausted your funds and forces you to give him Stamina or Reason or increase your Doom. Just let me be broke, jerk!

Isn't he just Takashi-san from the lighthouse?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Vookatos posted:

Aw poo poo, AW2 doesn't really work properly for me. Got myself a new PC and it runs fine, but for whatever reason every single non-playable cutscene lags a little tiny bit at the beginning which throws off sound and/or video and they become mismatched.

I don't mean to sound like a shill but if you've got a decent Ethernet connection, check out the Nvidia game streaming service. 10 bucks to run the game on medium/high settings is a lifesaver

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vookatos posted:

if it makes you feel any better this is a known issue for some folks. Try playing with your settings a bit maybe? I'm not sure if there's a solution yet

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

if it makes you feel any better this is a known issue for some folks. Try playing with your settings a bit maybe? I'm not sure if there's a solution yet

That's actually a relief knowing that it might not just be my PC. It does seem that the parts I bought are fine aside from CPU, but "can I run it" type sites do promise that both Starfield and AW2 can run at the very least on minimum, and yet both games kept making GBS threads themselves, with Starfield refusing to run without lag and music interrupting at 50% resolution with everything set to lowest.
This is a reason I'm not mainly a PC gamer, but with consoles being what they are including their prices and games' prices rising, it's hard to justify not getting a PC these days.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vookatos posted:

That's actually a relief knowing that it might not just be my PC. It does seem that the parts I bought are fine aside from CPU, but "can I run it" type sites do promise that both Starfield and AW2 can run at the very least on minimum, and yet both games kept making GBS threads themselves, with Starfield refusing to run without lag and music interrupting at 50% resolution with everything set to lowest.
This is a reason I'm not mainly a PC gamer, but with consoles being what they are including their prices and games' prices rising, it's hard to justify not getting a PC these days.

Just curious, are you running them on an SSD? Starfield was one of the first games I've had on PC that was just unplayably laggy on a regular hard drive, but went perfectly fine after I moved it onto an SSD. Haven't put enough time into AW2 to really judge how it performs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it does that on the xbox too, which is a SSD. i have a feeling it has to do with how it streams the video from the drive. hopefully they can fix it a bit, but thankfully there aren't *that* many really dialogue-heavy cutscenes that it affects

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vookatos posted:

Bought the Control Ultimate Edition for PC yo play AWE and I can't even play it because it crashes with a "device removed" error every time, remedy games tend to be kind of hosed up on PC

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

On PC fixes are frustratingly few— the bug recommendation is swapping it to a SSD, which I did but still encounter the problem on any of the “driving to a place” cutscenes. It seems to be an issue with saving while it happens, if what I’m noticing is accurate, since the stuttering seemed to happen when the autosave icon popped up in the corner.

It’s not game-breaking but it is real annoying.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
OK I know Sam Lake loves House of Leaves but having a sequence where someone makes a documentary using motion-activated cameras is a bit on the nose

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

mutantIke posted:

OK I know Sam Lake loves House of Leaves but having a sequence where someone makes a documentary using motion-activated cameras is a bit on the nose

There can never be a House of Leaves reference too on the nose :colbert:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just got to the rock opera sequence. Guess we can add Peacemaker to the list of things Sam Lake really likes. Game Of The Century.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

been replaying siren, one of the best series ever

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If any of you enjoy Phasmaphobia, I highly-encourage picking up a game called Lethal Company along with friends.

Go in blind - much like Phasmaphobia it is VERY much a game that is more entertaining the less you understand of it.

But don't loiter around the scrap kiosk.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

just one more scrap then I'll leave I promise

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's interesting to think about how Alan Wake and Control work while wearing their influences so openly, and the Bloober crap so very doesn't. The differences are stark.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

mutantIke posted:

Just got to the rock opera sequence. Guess we can add Peacemaker to the list of things Sam Lake really likes. Game Of The Century.

I thought I was ready for the Poets of the Fall musical sequence that Sam Lake sticks in every game. I was not ready.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

It's interesting to think about how Alan Wake and Control work while wearing their influences so openly, and the Bloober crap so very doesn't. The differences are stark.

There's a lot of comparisons you could draw but I think it mostly comes down to the idea that Remedy loves the things that it is influenced by whereas Bloober just sees it as a cow to milk. If the original Alan Wake dialed it's obvious fanboying by 1% then it would go from being sincere to derivative, especially when it comes to the frankly cliche "fighting darkness with light" concept. They just lean into it so hard that it becomes endearing rather than stupid. Same thing for Max Payne, if they put even one Marvel-style "well that just happened" pulled punch the whole thing would shatter into a thousand pieces.

I think a lot of Bloober's problem is also that the things that it insists on copying are other games. Remedy loves games, but also books, movies, and TV shows. gently caress does Remedy love TV shows.

It was kind of a flop in the end but I will say that I think that Bloober's strongest showing in recent years was Blair Witch, and I think that a large part of that was because they were trying to adapt a movie instead of just copying a game. There are some pretty good ideas in there. It's just that they get their heads stuck on mechanics from other games and replicating them "faithfully" and end up just making stupid sludge.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 29, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

His real name is Sami Järvi

I was joking but turns out his last name really is just "lake" in Finnish.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Discendo Vox posted:

The concept and approach are dumb across the board, Remedy just has better budgets and actual gameplay design (which in Control’s case wasn’t even that good).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's a lot of comparisons you could draw but I think it mostly comes down to the idea that Remedy loves the things that it is influenced by whereas Bloober just sees it as a cow to milk. If the original Alan Wake dialed it's obvious fanboying by 1% then it would go from being sincere to derivative, especially when it comes to the frankly cliche "fighting darkness with light" concept. They just lean into it so hard that it becomes endearing rather than stupid. Same thing for Max Payne, if they put even one Marvel-style "well that just happened" pulled punch the whole thing would shatter into a thousand pieces.

I think a lot of Bloober's problem is also that the things that it insists on copying are other games. Remedy loves games, but also books, movies, and TV shows. gently caress does Remedy love TV shows.

It was kind of a flop in the end but I will say that I think that Bloober's strongest showing in recent years was Blair Witch, and I think that a large part of that was because they were trying to adapt a movie instead of just copying a game. There are some pretty good ideas in there. It's just that they get their heads stuck on mechanics from other games and replicating them "faithfully" and end up just making stupid sludge.
Yeah sincerity is a lost art and Remedy consistently nails it. Control is a bit on the snarky/quippy side for me but again it works with the influences and vibe it's going for.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Buck Wildman posted:

just one more scrap then I'll leave I promise

We didn't realize just how bad the wilderness could get after dark. There were no survivors.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bloober games are pure hackwork, but Remedy games are very much an aging product of the late 90’s — not just in their combat mechanics, but in the way that, like most every other nerd of that time, their takeaway from the commercial and critical success of Tarantino movies was that a deep knowledge of your genre referents was not just necessary to make something good out of them, but sufficient. Tarantino made elevated genre pulp look so easy that everybody who came after him fell headlong into reverent pastiche. Alan Wake is a great example.

We’ve spent the last 20 years and change inundated by artists’ love letters to formative pulp influences. All the flavor’s chewed out of that gum, tbh. As someone who loves horror specifically I have well and truly moved on from giving anyone significant credit for expressing sincere love for the genre through the work.

It’s no longer enough to be earnest. Earnestness is now a crutch used to wave away clumsiness. But what’s clumsy is very rarely good. Quite often people are afraid that going for good work — work which challenges or surprises the audience — will fail, so instead they aim for safe work, ingratiating art, which will get points for sincerity but lacks the juice to provoke negative reaction.

What I find tedious about Remedy post-Alan Wake is that they fell in love with weird sci fi mystery, but they remain chronically incapable of the subtlety or withholding necessary to do those things well — they don’t write good X Files episodes, they write Chris Carter mythology episodes.

The metafiction angle with AW2 is a cheap trick to try and get around / integrate the obviousness of Sam Lake’s writing — now whenever somebody plainly states what’s happening, they’re “casting a spell” or whatever, instead of being expository. But unfortunately, it’s all still expository. And you can’t escape the feeling that it’s all leading up to some Remedy’s Avengers cinematic crossover bullshit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bloober games are pure hackwork, but Remedy games are very much an aging product of the late 90’s — not just in their combat mechanics, but in the way that, like most every other nerd of that time, their takeaway from the commercial and critical success of Tarantino movies was that a deep knowledge of your genre referents was not just necessary to make something good out of them, but sufficient. Tarantino made elevated genre pulp look so easy that everybody who came after him fell headlong into reverent pastiche. Alan Wake is a great example.

We’ve spent the last 20 years and change inundated by artists’ love letters to formative pulp influences. All the flavor’s chewed out of that gum, tbh. As someone who loves horror specifically I have well and truly moved on from giving anyone significant credit for expressing sincere love for the genre through the work.

It’s no longer enough to be earnest. Earnestness is now a crutch used to wave away clumsiness. But what’s clumsy is very rarely good. Quite often people are afraid that going for good work — work which challenges or surprises the audience — will fail, so instead they aim for safe work, ingratiating art, which will get points for sincerity but lacks the juice to provoke negative reaction.

What I find tedious about Remedy post-Alan Wake is that they fell in love with weird sci fi mystery, but they remain chronically incapable of the subtlety or withholding necessary to do those things well — they don’t write good X Files episodes, they write Chris Carter mythology episodes.

The metafiction angle with AW2 is a cheap trick to try and get around / integrate the obviousness of Sam Lake’s writing — now whenever somebody plainly states what’s happening, they’re “casting a spell” or whatever, instead of being expository. But unfortunately, it’s all still expository. And you can’t escape the feeling that it’s all leading up to some Remedy’s Avengers cinematic crossover bullshit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Haha...But for real where did you quote this from?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

im also an ageing product of the 90s.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CuddleCryptid posted:

One thing specifically to correct here: Bloober rip off a wide range of media, not just games. I think it was layers of fear 2 in particular that is just a series of remade items or scenes from other media strung in a line.

A factor here may be that whatever their other defects, Remedy has a sufficient understanding of the source material to use it as a reference source without just copying it and pointing at it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Source your quotes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah but Alan Wake 2 is fun as hell to play, that should be all that matters.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fun hater goons

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah but Alan Wake 2 is fun as hell to play, that should be all that matters.

I'm not sure what makes it so fun as hell because the actual gameplay is really simplistic but something about the atmosphere and writing and general vibe of the game just elevates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
Sam Lake 2 seems like a nice little game but excessive quirkiness, boring enemy design, and an undeserved crossover shared universe, that's 3 strikes for me. Maybe I'll pick it up in a steam sale in a couple years.