Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

my loving god imagine sock puppeting you moms account to say how sexy your halloween outfit was last year

no

yes

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

explosivo posted:

It's funny how little anyone gives a poo poo about what the CEO (?) of formerlytwitternowX has to say. I mean how could you possibly but even still it's a real low amount of impressions for someone arguably in the public eye. Also I just looked at her account to see what her actual position is and her job/position/affiliation with X isn't mentioned anywhere on there, lol. Better believe she mentions a #sports though.

he forgot when you appoint someone to make it look like you're not making all the decisions you're supposed to shut up. The 'ol boy can't stop posting

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Steadiman posted:

Also, while I’m sure Twitter’s code is a lot more complex than I, a non computer toucher, can imagine, it’s also still just a social media site and I can’t see how the code for filtering and such can be that complicated to find and figure out for the engineers/coders that still work there.

Given he shitcanned 75% of the staff, it’s very possible all the institutional knowledge is gone. Then add in the remaining people may not be good enough to untangle the systems. AND if you tell Elon something he doesn’t want to hear he just fires you.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Given he shitcanned 75% of the staff, it’s very possible all the institutional knowledge is gone. Then add in the remaining people may not be good enough to untangle the systems. AND if you tell Elon something he doesn’t want to hear he just fires you.

pre-elon, twitter was reasonably open about a lot of its internal workings. here's an article saying there's about a million lines of code involved, trending down
https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/infrastructure/2017/the-infrastructure-behind-twitter-scale

it's not small, but also not obscene for an app of this size. it wouldn't take a huge team to trace through most "shadowblocking" scenarios.

musk is implying there's a bunch of hidden code somewhere that they don't have access to ... which is just not how it works. once he bought the company he has the keys to the kingdom and could get into everything that's possibly in scope short of some secret squirrel backdoors put in by malicious woke developers.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 30, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like I just said recently that those banks holding all of that debt need to get out of it, and it's a little late now

https://twitter.com/danprimack/status/1718703724711813147?s=20
woke financials
Not the first time it was posted but still haunting.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

temple posted:

Not the first time it was posted but still haunting.

i wonder what they look like when you scrye them

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Buster Bluth had more dignity than this in the Motherboy competitions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol at that dude getting paid $1 per million impressions. not that anyone was probably confusing twitter engagement as worth, like, anything at all, but that's still hilariously fuckin low

like there's media/social media platforms where people are making livelihoods off of a total reach that is orders of magnitude less than that

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 30, 2023

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Steadiman posted:

Also, while I’m sure Twitter’s code is a lot more complex than I, a non computer toucher, can imagine, it’s also still just a social media site and I can’t see how the code for filtering and such can be that complicated to find and figure out for the engineers/coders that still work there.

This is parody but in some ways comes scarily close to the truth of working in an enterprise codebase.

https://youtu.be/y8OnoxKotPQ?si=RfsAGgUxHO82l2m2

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

MrQwerty posted:

i wonder what they look like when you scrye them

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

kazil posted:

did they ever get to the bottom of what's going on with Hunter's hog?

There is no bottom, that thing hangs fuckin low

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

pre-elon, twitter was reasonably open about a lot of its internal workings. here's an article saying there's about a million lines of code involved, trending down
https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/infrastructure/2017/the-infrastructure-behind-twitter-scale

it's not small, but also not obscene for an app of this size. it wouldn't take a huge team to trace through most "shadowblocking" scenarios.

musk is implying there's a bunch of hidden code somewhere that they don't have access to ... which is just not how it works. once he bought the company he has the keys to the kingdom and could get into everything that's possibly in scope sort of some secret squirrel backdoors put in by malicious woke developers.

"secret code doing bad stuff " was a very effective way to pass blame when he first bought it and was playing the white knight here to save free speech.

Now that he's had it for a year, pretending there's mountains of rogue code just makes his team look incompetent.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Elon's ongoing con is convincing stupid people he's smart

Anyone who has even sniffed a piece of code would know that after a year if you can't find something, it doesn't exist and he's just lying

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Squibbles posted:

This is parody but in some ways comes scarily close to the truth of working in an enterprise codebase.

https://youtu.be/y8OnoxKotPQ?si=RfsAGgUxHO82l2m2
fuckin bizarre, that video was just recommended to me yesterday. and it rings all too true.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Anyone who has even sniffed a piece of code would know that after a year if you can't find something, it doesn't exist and he's just lying
But what if the code is woke?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If the code isn't woke, then the blue checks are just boring fucks and that can't possibly be true

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kazil posted:

If the code isn't woke, then the blue checks are just boring fucks and that can't possibly be true

The Twitter code is actually the first sentient being to go woke and Elon bravely stopped it from continuing to spread the woke mind virus

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

kazil posted:

did they ever get to the bottom of what's going on with Hunter's hog?

thats parts 226 - 385

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
https://x.com/HumzaYousaf/status/1717839073371451790?s=20

E: context is Musk signal-boosting racist edits of Yousaf calling-out racism.

Juliet Whisky fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 30, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Honestly, I suspect many people itt of being woke

I'm making a list

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

everyone is posting while woke, it's shameful

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well, it's a virus, what can you do. It's not like some sort of 'vaccine' would do anything but kill you.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I went to pick up my Niece from school, and I caught a bad case of the Woke from those little brats.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

He’s going to prove how smart he is in one year, definitely.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Steadiman posted:

the engineers/coders that still work there.

I think I found the problem.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

it may be a lie, but imagine its true

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

how come he looks like an accidentally gay Dracula. Like he meant to dress up as Iron Man, but accidentally was a gay version of Gary Oldman as Dracula

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
also it took a while to realize that was a man behind him, not his hand on his mother's shoulder

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kazil posted:

The Republican that just got elected as Speaker of the House is actually a Democrat psy op. Please ignore that every Republican voted for him and every Democrat voted against him.

and that hes a christian fascist

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how come he looks like an accidentally gay Dracula. Like he meant to dress up as Iron Man, but accidentally was a gay version of Gary Oldman as Dracula

Theres a <whispers> straight Dracula?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Barudak posted:

I'm imaging what if Carl from ATHF was exactly the same but just happened to be a vampire.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crackbone posted:

:capitalism:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

his name is Voldemort

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This happens every time he talks to actual experts. They all instantly realize he's a moron that's bullshitting, but then remember he has infinite money that could fund something they like and proceed to ignore how stupid he is

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sir Tonk posted:

This happens every time he talks to actual experts. They all instantly realize he's a moron that's bullshitting, but then remember he has infinite money that could fund something they like and proceed to ignore how stupid he is

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol at that dude getting paid $1 per million impressions. not that anyone was probably confusing twitter engagement as worth, like, anything at all, but that's still hilariously fuckin low

like there's media/social media platforms where people are making livelihoods off of a total reach that is orders of magnitude less than that

Remember that it only counts impressions from other verified people:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

SimonChris posted:

Remember that it only counts impressions from other verified people:

So basically a pyramid scheme?