Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Oof yeah that poo poo sucked. I should have stopped playing then... but then again, MGS4 wasn't too different for drawn out poo poo either.

no contest. MGS5 made you play a lovely 20 minute tutorial, MGS4 had that, then a 45 minute cutscene, that had it's own cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

The landing cam in Outer Wilds is a "crutch" that doesn't even help, the people who use it understand neither the game's flight system nor themselves

Agreed. Never got the use for it and when I tried it seemed slower than just landing by feel. What I liked about Outer Wilds space movement is how intuitive and natural it felt, I definitely crashed into the sun a few times but it really wasn't long before handling the ship felt as good as boost gliding my rear end across planet surfaces.

The mini model ship though controlled like rear end, I never got those achievements even after DLC came out and I tried again. Got my sister the game and she got all the achievements like a week after she started it lol

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Metal gear solid will one day be known as the thing kojima did before the death standing masterpieces

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I turned off MGS5 because the loving opening hospital tutorial sequence can suck my fat nuts. It's good you want to acclimate new players Konami, but give players an option to loving skip it.

You had the option to skip it all along, god i can't believe you didn't think to just turn the console off

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The thing that I think video game auteur Hideo Kojima is most famous for would have to be that time that he assassinated former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
MGS5's tutorial level was a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes. Maybe an hour or two before it just dumps you into an open world? I skipped one loving cutscene out of impatience and suddenly got whiplash how fast the tone changed.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

MGS5's tutorial level was a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes. Maybe an hour or two before it just dumps you into an open world? I skipped one loving cutscene out of impatience and suddenly got whiplash how fast the tone changed.

it took you longer than 20 minutes to get out of the hospital in MGS5? Did you just hide under the bed for longer than intended?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I remember that hospital section having at least like 45 minutes of unskippable cutscene

e: Yeah it's a full hour of cutscenes before you even start the game lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pd8s1eClTE

At least when I played it it was all unskippable idk about now

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

I remember that hospital section having at least like 45 minutes of unskippable cutscene

e: Yeah it's a full hour of cutscenes before you even start the game lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pd8s1eClTE

At least when I played it it was all unskippable idk about now

I think you just watched that video you posted. mother fucker fails at one point and has to restart the mission.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Agreed. Never got the use for it and when I tried it seemed slower than just landing by feel. What I liked about Outer Wilds space movement is how intuitive and natural it felt, I definitely crashed into the sun a few times but it really wasn't long before handling the ship felt as good as boost gliding my rear end across planet surfaces.

The mini model ship though controlled like rear end, I never got those achievements even after DLC came out and I tried again. Got my sister the game and she got all the achievements like a week after she started it lol

The funny thing about the RC ship is that it actually controls identically to the real ship, the only difference is that you're viewing it from a static 3rd person perspective, making it extremely difficult to properly orient

Kinda like how RE4 technically has tank controls just like 1-3, but it doesn't feel nearly as awkward because the camera stays behind the character

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

people were always like "mgs 5 is the best action game of all time" and i was like "the gently caress you think i enjoyed metal gear solid because of its action gameplay ???????

It's like when people say a JRPG is good because of the battling.

Kojima not wanting David Hayter as the definitive Snake is like finding out your parents have been trapped in a loveless marriage this whole time. Simply heart breaking.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nice Van My Man posted:

It's like when people say a JRPG is good because of the battling.

Kojima not wanting David Hayter as the definitive Snake is like finding out your parents have been trapped in a loveless marriage this whole time. Simply heart breaking.

I can't express it in words, but, this post speaks to me

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
David Hayter is a bad voice actor who got involved early in a series that completely outgrew him. It's kinda weird they waited until the very last game to fire him though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

David Hayter is a bad voice actor who got involved early in a series that completely outgrew him. It's kinda weird they waited until the very last game to fire him though.

now I know who has the worst opinion on the internet.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

David Hayter is the perfect level of corny for the MGS series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

His performance in 3 on is laughably terrible. Anyone still standing him to return is more interested in reveling in nostalgia than having a good performance.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Nice Van My Man posted:

Luckily I was an adult when both these things occurred to me so I didn't really give much of a gently caress

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
David Hatter was the only reason I ate food or used medicine in the game. If you don't appreciate David Hatter I don't think you should be allowed to play MGS games or post about them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Devils Affricate posted:

He's a worse regular actor

Source: guyver 2

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Gaius Marius posted:

fans are deranged and annoying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

His badness is what made him perfect for MGS1-3, those were campy games where you fought a man made of bees and did naked cartwheels. One boss is literally a ghost.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

QuarkJets posted:

His badness is what made him perfect for MGS1-3, those were campy games where you fought a man made of bees and did naked cartwheels. One boss is literally a ghost.

MGS2: fat guy mad bomber on rollerskates, lady made out of probability, weird gay panic vampire, funniest rogue AI ever

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ahem Vamp isn’t gay he’s bi!. It’s in his name!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You had the option to skip it all along, god i can't believe you didn't think to just turn the console off
I did tho?

Serephina posted:

Not only that, but your movement and toolkit is uncharacteristically restricted for MGS-- you wobble because you're a woozy patient, you can't do all your normal things and have to unlock poo poo like prone one piece at a time. Like you can't even do the usual MGS thing of being able to clown around with the mechanics if you know them.

Like ok fine I get it Konami was terrified of not being appealing to mass audiences, but holy gently caress that was bad and if there was any option to skip it I sure didn't find it.

Devils Affricate posted:

:mods:

Khanstant posted:

David Hatter was the only reason I ate food or used medicine in the game. If you don't appreciate David Hatter I don't think you should be allowed to play MGS games or post about them.
:same:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

David Hayter may not be a great actor, but hes better than the dialog Kojima gave him.

Conversely actual actors Kojima loves in MGS5 and Death Stranding fail to elevate the absolute loving stupidity that they're trying to get through.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
if we're talking bad voice acting then we must pay homage to every voice actor in Shenmue

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Shenmue is clearly a good game because everyone I talk to seems to have their fondest gameplay memories of playing the forklift game.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I think you mean Deus Ex.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

if we're talking bad voice acting then we must pay homage to every voice actor in Shenmue

Do you know where I can find some sailors?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

I think you mean Deus Ex.

Oh my god JC, a Metal Gear!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i got to afghanistan in mgs5 and got to the first midboss fight and sorta lost motivation. kinda just wanted to kidnap guys and build up my offshore oil platform

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I got Hollow Knights and while I think there's a good game there or at least an above average game every time I hit a deadend I lose a little more patience. I get that that's kind of a thing for metriodvanias but I'm pretty sure it's still poo poo. Also corpse runs? What the gently caress who asked for that? Oh and justifying the currency with maps, map upgrades and waypoint purchases is not cool. No minimap? Lol.

It's important that I play games so I have fresh content to complain about.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Thing is, most metroidvanias seem to forget that the Metroid franchise are primarily 2-3 hour games, stretched purely by the player's skill level and propensity for 100%ing a game. That's why they're fun. If you drag it out artificially, the experience tends to suffer.

I said, speaking from my rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I never finished Hollow Knight and have a bunch of complaints but one of the last things sucking out my will to play was thinking about how little I liked the combat and then reading the DLC was a boss rush mode of various lengths.

Lol, lmao, no thank you game.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Finished Jedi Survivor recently and I have Opinions I must share.

After 12 years of souls-like games I think it’s time to permanently retire the concept of a boss run. Wasting the player’s time might’ve been an intentionally designed part of the loop but I refuse to pretend that I can’t talk poo poo about it. Anything else including a loving retry button after you die would be a massive improvement.

In particular for this game tho, especially in the hardest difficulty - I will never get over how other me-sized enemies (especially bosses) just decide not to flinch after getting hit. You have to surrender any pretence of aggression and initiative because enemies will just decide they can tank your hit for 10% health to remove 60% of yours.

Basically I rediscovered why Sekiro’s combat is fantastic by way of comparison

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Thing is, most metroidvanias seem to forget that the Metroid franchise are primarily 2-3 hour games, stretched purely by the player's skill level and propensity for 100%ing a game. That's why they're fun. If you drag it out artificially, the experience tends to suffer.

I said, speaking from my rear end.

Nobody went through Super Metroid or SotN in just 2-3 hours on their first playthrough, your brain has been poisoned with speedrunitis

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Yeah nobody's first run of those games is speedrun worthy but the whole shtick is that getting better at them and clearing them faster is part of the fun. Making a Metroidvania that is like 20 hours of mandatory gameplay is kind of a drag is the point I think.

I feel the need to specify that I am not bitching about Hollow Knight though, just the genre at large

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Reoxygenation posted:

Yeah nobody's first run of those games is speedrun worthy but the whole shtick is that getting better at them and clearing them faster is part of the fun. Making a Metroidvania that is like 20 hours of mandatory gameplay is kind of a drag is the point I think.

I feel the need to specify that I am not bitching about Hollow Knight though, just the genre at large

This is what I meant, yeah. Articulated my point better than I did.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its probably not an unpopular opinion, but Quest for Glory is fuckin awesome and should be considered at the same level of Lucasarts stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

I imagine a fast-ish 2nd or 3rd playthrough of Hollow Knight or Ori would take about as long as the same of Castlevania or Metroid. Which are the offending titles here exactly?