Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I rarely play survivor but had to tonight to finish off the event. Jesus CHRIST killers are enormous assholes. All but one match I got tunneled. This was my final match, where a survivor used a Midwich offering and then chased the Huntress as she hooked me, unhooked in her face and she just followed me, rinse repeat.

Meanwhile I'm playing killer and never do more than 2 kills a game during the event, I GUESS KARMA ISN'T REAL GUYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Medullah posted:

I rarely play survivor but had to tonight to finish off the event. Jesus CHRIST killers are enormous assholes. All but one match I got tunneled. This was my final match, where a survivor used a Midwich offering and then chased the Huntress as she hooked me, unhooked in her face and she just followed me, rinse repeat.

Meanwhile I'm playing killer and never do more than 2 kills a game during the event, I GUESS KARMA ISN'T REAL GUYS

It's a bit cliche, but both sides suck. Best you can do is play the way you want to and have as much fun with it as you can. Mostly played killer during the event, but when I did play survivor the most frequent problem was the first survivor that got caught gave up immediately, putting us 3v1 at 4-5 gens. It says a lot when one of the best survivor games I had during the event was against the Skull Merchant.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MikeNCR posted:

It's a bit cliche, but both sides suck. Best you can do is play the way you want to and have as much fun with it as you can. Mostly played killer during the event, but when I did play survivor the most frequent problem was the first survivor that got caught gave up immediately, putting us 3v1 at 4-5 gens. It says a lot when one of the best survivor games I had during the event was against the Skull Merchant.

Luckily I finished the Tome (took 4 matches to get the "heal 3 health states" because of tunneling and PLAGUE heh). I'm sitting on 2,000,000 BPs, think it might just be DBD break time until next chapter.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Medullah posted:

Luckily I finished the Tome (took 4 matches to get the "heal 3 health states" because of tunneling and PLAGUE heh). I'm sitting on 2,000,000 BPs, think it might just be DBD break time until next chapter.

So, hilarious thing with that one, Plot Twist counts as two health states.

Honestly, my biggest frustration has been crazy lag/rubber banding the last week or two for no obvious reason.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MikeNCR posted:

Honestly, my biggest frustration has been crazy lag/rubber banding the last week or two for no obvious reason.

JFC for some reason I thought it said other's health states. I would have had that after the first match if I'd just brought a medkit or self-care heh.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Medullah posted:

JFC for some reason I thought it said other's health states. I would have had that after the first match if I'd just brought a medkit or self-care heh.

The no mither/plot twist solo build wins again

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

MikeNCR posted:

holy poo poo lmao

Plot Twist is such a funny loving perk god bless

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Made the unfortunate mistake of interacting with DbD twitter and holy gently caress that was a mistake :shepface: Commented on a guy failing to run away from a crouched pig with MFT and WoO lighting up the nearby jungle gym, leading to their bear trap going off because crouched pig doesn't count as a chase. For hours afterwards I have people telling me I'm an idiot for saying running faster makes it easier to escape a killer, followed by "Even if you did she'd just follow you" which yeah that's how the game is played, up to "well she'd just slug you anyway" and now the goalposts have been shifted to demanding I solve the issue of slugging to prove an argument I'm not even part of anymore. I didn't even defend the timer pause dodging thing I just said drat they didn't try very hard to get away

Like sorry for ranting about petty twitter bullshit but I legit feel like I'm going insane, people telling me straight faced that a speed boost doesn't help escape from a killer I don't

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Even if you escape with a speed boost they're hacking anyway, I win you lose bye bye

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Danaru posted:

Made the unfortunate mistake of interacting with...twitter

Every other word you posted was redundant.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Some people are REALLY upset at the concept of the killer being able to kill, doubly so if they can force a situation where it's inevitable instead of 100% fun and playing with the survivor's toesies and blowing raspberries on their belly to make them giggle the whole time

Sorry Danaru for getting harassed by the dumbass contingent of this game's audience (which is unfortunately quite large). I have been there. You should probably stop engaging with them and just hit every reply with Michael Myers dancing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah that's the right way to go :cripes: I was just so baffled by people calling Pig of all killers game breakingly OP, and then it just kept getting more baffling from there, what a trip

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Continuing my efforts to get better at Nurse, been running a bunch of aura reading stuff (Nurse's Calling/Lethal/Nowhere to Hide/I'm All Ears) and that's usually enough to wipe the floor with anyone not smart enough to exploit what she's/I'm bad at. Mostly weird jukes and trying to hit people near scenery without smacking a random bush instead of the survivor

Also gave me a better idea of how to play against Nurse, do weird jukes and hug the scenery :v:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Danaru posted:

Yeah that's the right way to go :cripes: I was just so baffled by people calling Pig of all killers game breakingly OP, and then it just kept getting more baffling from there, what a trip

The insane defensiveness around MFT would've probably baited me to engage too. I can't comprehend it at all. Survivors are so loving in denial about their new toy after Dead Hard got taken from them, it's blatant.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Tiny Myers posted:

The insane defensiveness around MFT would've probably baited me to engage too. I can't comprehend it at all. Survivors are so loving in denial about their new toy after Dead Hard got taken from them, it's blatant.

Wasn't the purpose of the game is to have the killer kill people? Isn't that the core premise of the game?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I started playing a few weeks ago when my friends roped me in, since I already had the game for free on Epic and had never touched it.

I have fun (badly) playing survivor when the gang is online and farming blood/shards on killer when they aren't. I consider myself a pretty novice player still and even with the $20 auric cell pack during the Halloween sale I have extremely limited perk selection, doubly on killer.

You frequently run into people with TTV names when you play killer, sometimes whole premade teams with one or more people streaming the game and you can often go to their channel and immediately watch the vod of the game that just happened, which can be fun to see how the match went from the other perspective and hearing their team chatter.

Two observations from these VODs:

1. People are frequently convinced I am running perks or a sort of build that I am absolutely not running and don't even know what it is. I mostly play Oni and Nurse and I use Nurses Calling / Tinker / Fearmonger / X on both of them because the options are so dire, absolutely basic poo poo. Basic brown items.

2. Every single game someone has complained about me "tunneling" them. I don't pick enemies and decide to wipe them out one by one. I can't even remember who I've hooked or not. My gameplan is literally to lunge at the closest moving object, or the one who picked the worst/most predictable escape route, and as a secondary concern, try to hit the one who is injured or doesn't have endurance if possible. That's it-- extremely obvious stuff. What instead frequently happens is the survivors who cry tunnel are left in the dust by their healthy teammates who have fewer or no hooks and scatter like cockroaches, or they try to heal in the immediate vicinity of the unhook and I find them with their pants down, or they run straight back to the gen I just chased them off and are offended that I didn't want to let them touch their high-progress gen and continue repairing it after they all cheese it during the unhook.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 30, 2023

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
If you ever hook a person a second time you tunneled them.

Why didn't you find and hook me, the distortion user?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Wasn't the purpose of the game is to have the killer kill people? Isn't that the core premise of the game?
I've been meaning to write a deep dive article into this, but in the absence of that existing for me to point you to, basically: a lot of people playing this game seem to be not having fun with it, yet continue to play anyway due to various reasons (sunk cost fallacy, habit, things in the game that are designed to be literally psychologically addictive/FOMO like most modern live service games, their friends play it, whatever). These tend to largely be survivor players.

So, you will often enough get people who have put some thousands of hours into the game and thoroughly wrung it dry of enjoyment. The only thing that they enjoy at this point, if they enjoy anything at all, is getting to do some very specific part of the game they find stimulating, usually flashlight saves or chases. Getting denied that (see: every mf who tries to stunt upon a killer then DCs when you have Lightborn or they make a stupid mistake and go down in their first chase) or forced to engage with other parts of the game they personally consider tedious is a one-way ticket to complaint street. Or, for the people who don't enjoy ANYTHING in the game, they're going to complain no matter what and get pissed at the killer for being a convenient scapegoat for their irritation. "There goes the loving killer, killing again" is like a deadass sentiment for these people even if they may not state it in such plain words.

The problem is that these folks have so little self-awareness that they do not understand that their entire problem is not the killer, nor the game, but that they've bled the game like a stone. Instead, they lob a bunch of frivolous complaints at killers and/or devs without taking any time to understand how insane they sound to the average person. They'll bend over backwards to rationalize it with increasingly absurd complaints and cognitive dissonance, like the wildly unhinged arguments any time someone wants to claim Lightborn should be removed.

This is why people get mad at killers for killing. And... for not killing. They get mad at killers for being too easy, too hard, too boring, too complicated. They hate 90% of the killers in the game (with no consistency from person to person, except for what's popular for streamers/Reddit to hate/call OP, so good luck trying to be a people pleaser) and 90% of maps in the game and 90% of perks in the game. Because they hate the game and they are tired of playing it and instead of loving uninstalling they make it everyone else's problem.

There's also some intertangled problems like the huge toxicity problem in the game and how many survivors treat instinctive killer gameplay behaviors as deliberate acts of malice due to laughably poor game balance and historic house rules they expect everyone to follow to unreasonable degrees, but yeah. This is responsible for the majority of it, I think.

Survivors are... tired of playing the game. So they get mad at the killer for doing anything that prevents them from being The Cool Guy Who Loops For 5 Gens And Does Nothing Else, or for simply playing the game of Dead By Daylight, thereby forcing them to do so as well. They whine about any gameplay mechanic introduced that adds any measure of difficulty or complexity to the thing they've spent 4000+ hours (not an exaggeration) doing, even though you'd expect they'd want some kind of variety at this point, because they simply do not want to play the game anymore, or perhaps they just want the easy hit of dopamine from a practiced skill and to be able to turn their brain completely off with no struggle whatsoever. Made For This makes that easier to do, so of course they're whining about the prospect of it being removed. The aforementioned Pig behavior prevents them from being able to do a million loops with their brain turned off and means they might actually face a modicum of difficulty instead of getting a guaranteed escape, so they get pissed about it. But at the same time, if Pig didn't do that, they'd teabag in the gate and whine about how it was an ez baby killer, zzz boring.

There is no winning, because the only winning move is for them not to play.

God I really need to write that article.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh yeah, I find the entire discourse about Lightborn weird as gently caress. "Just look at a wall! You're wasting a perk!" A) Looking at a wall often doesn't do poo poo, you'll get blinded with your face wedged inside the shack B) The killer has very little say on where a survivor actually falls down, if they do so in the middle of the cornfield or something then what wall, C) if the killer is wasting a perk on Lightborn then I would assume you, survivor, should be happy about that. The gently caress are you whining about

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Tiny Myers posted:

They get mad at killers for being too easy, too hard, too boring, too complicated.

A few days after I started playing, when I had just barely tipped my toe into trying Killer, I was using Billy because the chainsaw zoom seemed fun and there's not a lot of options in the default killers. It's my understanding that Billy is considered one of the hardest Killers in the game to play and he's not very strong.

In the post-game with my zero-prestige Billy, a 70-prestige player started poo poo talking me because I wiped them out, calling me a "boring rear end trash killer"-- evidently, because I held W and pressed left click too much instead of excessively chainsaw bonking the environment and letting them run circles around me. I was using the chainsaw as much as I could manage, mind you, and got a few downs with it, but not enough for this dude's satisfaction.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 30, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lightborn is just the best perk in the game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DeathChicken posted:

Oh yeah, I find the entire discourse about Lightborn weird as gently caress. "Just look at a wall! You're wasting a perk!" A) Looking at a wall often doesn't do poo poo, you'll get blinded with your face wedged inside the shack B) The killer has very little say on where a survivor actually falls down, if they do so in the middle of the cornfield or something then what wall, C) if the killer is wasting a perk on Lightborn then I would assume you, survivor, should be happy about that. The gently caress are you whining about
You know how people who are trying to sell their scam securities to other idiots are among the biggest advocates of DIAMOND HANDS BUY AND HODL? same principle

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lightborn is weird because it’s far from powerful, but I also dislike design that straight-up renders a part of either side’s kit 100% useless.

Nerfing lightborn would make it utter garbage, so you’d have to tack on an extra effect or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Scoss posted:

In the post-game with my zero-prestige Billy, a 70-prestige player started poo poo talking me because I wiped them out, calling me a "boring rear end trash killer"-- evidently, because I held W and pressed left click too much instead of excessively chainsaw bonking the environment and letting them run circles around me. I was using the chainsaw as much as I could manage, mind you, and got a few downs with it, but not enough for this dude's satisfaction.

Yeah, I keep seeing more and more 'we were having fun and playing the game' taken by the other side as 'YOU'RE BEING TOXIC.' I was in fact told to unalive myself because I rescued a teammate during endgame collapse against a Huntress and she got no kills. I mean, she got double hooks on everybody, lot of decent axe snipes, played fine but she was "supposed" to have a kill. A lot of these complaints are "Oh no, you killed survivors" or "Oh no, you got out of the gate" and it's getting sillier.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

if you’re tired of getting flash lighted (flash lit?)may I recommend pyramid head and Knight. knight is 100% flashlight proof if you remember to drop a guard and pyramid head is always stoked to see two survivors in the same general area—if you feel like someone is gonna stun you can pretty easily turn it around on them with your special or you can protect yourself with your nasty ground button or you can skip hook phase entirely with Cage. i pretty much had to put my favorite killer, Pinhead, away because he’s so susceptible to getting chained, lol, by flashlights.

what are some other killers it’s impossible to bully?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Alien's confusing head shape throws off flashlighters enough that they blow the timing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Trapper, Pig, and Hag can all trick people by partially activating their powers to look like they're picking up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I look at the sky while advancing towards the hook and/or getting my knife/axe/disgusting monster hands ready

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's better to have lightborn and still pretend you have to look away. It will get people wasting time all match trying to blind you.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

if you’re tired of getting flash lighted (flash lit?)may I recommend pyramid head and Knight. knight is 100% flashlight proof if you remember to drop a guard and pyramid head is always stoked to see two survivors in the same general area—if you feel like someone is gonna stun you can pretty easily turn it around on them with your special or you can protect yourself with your nasty ground button or you can skip hook phase entirely with Cage. i pretty much had to put my favorite killer, Pinhead, away because he’s so susceptible to getting chained, lol, by flashlights.

what are some other killers it’s impossible to bully?

FYI you can defeat flashlights completely by looking up or down if you have control of yourself, and facing a wall right before you pick up if you're worried about flashlight saves when picking up a survivor. Pinhead is not any more susceptible to being flashlight stunned than any other killer.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK, I'm a sucker, but.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2383990/Ghostbusters_Spirits_Unleashed_Ecto_Edition/

They put out a 4v1 Ghostbusters game, so of course I bought it. Apparently it has full bot support and custom matches with full progression, story mode etc. They've got Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd. And it was 14 euros.

But really, I'm a sucker for anything Ghostbusters related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtX6Dnkin68

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, I'm a sucker, but.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2383990/Ghostbusters_Spirits_Unleashed_Ecto_Edition/

They put out a 4v1 Ghostbusters game, so of course I bought it. Apparently it has full bot support and custom matches with full progression, story mode etc. They've got Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd. And it was 14 euros.

Its decently fun but horrrrrribly unbalanced.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, I'm a sucker, but.

Just be aware it's not a new game, it's a year old - just came to Steam, before was Epic exclusive.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

Just be aware it's not a new game, it's a year old - just came to Steam, before was Epic exclusive.

Oh right, that's where I know the name from. Well poo poo, even if I just play bot matches with Ghostbusters trappings, I bet I'm gonna get my 14€ worth.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Umbreon posted:

FYI you can defeat flashlights completely by looking up or down if you have control of yourself, and facing a wall right before you pick up if you're worried about flashlight saves when picking up a survivor. Pinhead is not any more susceptible to being flashlight stunned than any other killer.

I was, and still am, running into hyper coordinated squads that will die out into the open because they know their buddies have flashlights. not every game but when it happens I feel pretty helpless on certain killers . I can just slug and go after the flashlighters but that doesn’t have a super high success rate.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I was, and still am, running into hyper coordinated squads that will die out into the open because they know their buddies have flashlights. not every game but when it happens I feel pretty helpless on certain killers . I can just slug and go after the flashlighters but that doesn’t have a super high success rate.
if they’re coordinated then yeah, slugging won’t always work as the flashlight person(s) will draw you away from the slug and they’ll either get up with something like Unbreakable or another teammate waiting in the wings.

Just one of those unwinnable situations vs SWF.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

What you do is walk over the body like you're gonna pick up then turn around and see the idiot SWF blowing their cover running in to try and get a save. Chase them, hit them. Repeat and if you're lucky they're greedy enough to try and save even while injured. Then once you have two people on the floor, hopefully the rest of the SWF is heading in at this point, if they're not already there with their own beamers.

Have gotten 4ks from a single team collapsing in on itself trying to get saves more than once and it's funny as gently caress. They're not happy about it because eww toxic slugging killer how dare you not immediately pick up the survivor right after you down them with zero consideration to the scratch marks 5 feet away and the awareness that the entire lobby has flashlights on

Seriously though, so many survivors get got by simply baiting out a save like that. Try it out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1719053209984025003?s=20

In case anyone was wondering.

Tiny Myers posted:

What you do is walk over the body like you're gonna pick up then turn around and see the idiot SWF blowing their cover running in to try and get a save. Chase them, hit them. Repeat and if you're lucky they're greedy enough to try and save even while injured. Then once you have two people on the floor, hopefully the rest of the SWF is heading in at this point, if they're not already there with their own beamers.

Have gotten 4ks from a single team collapsing in on itself trying to get saves more than once and it's funny as gently caress. They're not happy about it because eww toxic slugging killer how dare you not immediately pick up the survivor right after you down them with zero consideration to the scratch marks 5 feet away and the awareness that the entire lobby has flashlights on

Seriously though, so many survivors get got by simply baiting out a save like that. Try it out.

Yuppp this happens a lot to me. I had a match this weekend that went from "3 gens done with 2 hooks" to "4k at 2 gens left" because of a flashy/altruism spiral. I also love the people that don't know how to play against Xenomorph and sit at a pallet waiting for you to break it so they can get their flashy flashy only to eat a tail strike to the chest. He's quickly becoming one of my favorites, has a great toolkit and isn't all that complicated to use.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
It Came From Reddit

3D Twins mousepad. Technically it isn't NSFW, but I wouldn't want my boss seeing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lonjon posted:

It Came From Reddit

3D Twins mousepad. Technically it isn't NSFW, but I wouldn't want my boss seeing this.