Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
On a second playthrough, not 100% but still going for the true ending, Hollow Knight is about four hours tops. Idk what the true ending speedrun time is, probably an hour and a half. Where the gently caress is 20 coming from?

The joy in a metroidvania comes from the exploration, from getting to know the world; I get the impression that a lot of you just don't really like metroidvanias. Complaining about Hollow Knight having lots of backtracking and dead ends to explore is like complaining that your pizza is too cheesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barudak posted:

David Hayter may not be a great actor, but hes better than the dialog Kojima gave him.

Conversely actual actors Kojima loves in MGS5 and Death Stranding fail to elevate the absolute loving stupidity that they're trying to get through.

The only time Norman Reedus seems to even tune in are when he's promoting Ride with Normal Reedus.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Complaining about Hollow Knight having lots of backtracking and dead ends to explore is like complaining that your pizza is too cheesy.

Lol I'm eating pizza 80% for the sauce but let me share you a cursed tip to get free extra cheese on pizza: order light or normal cheese but extra sauce. 90% of the time they will ignore the extra sauce request, give you normal or lite sauce and pile so much cheese on it you can't even see the sauce or toppings anymore.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its probably not an unpopular opinion, but Quest for Glory is fuckin awesome and should be considered at the same level of Lucasarts stuff.

calm down Bobbin Threadbare

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The lead character of Alan Wake 2 is not a secret brit and actually supposed to be American so thank you Remedy, for letting me point out how terrible a Brits attempt at sounding American is after all this time of the opposite problem.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Let me be clear: I've not played more than 5 minutes of Hollow Knight and have no opinion of it. What I meant is that, in my opinion, a good Metroidvania's core content is best when short, while providing tools for the player to explore and extend that time in an emergent sort of way. But many games in this category go too hard and basically make a 2d bloated Ubisoft game (No, not like Rayman) that becomes a chore to run through.

For the record, I'm very much a Metroid Stan.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think if your genre depends on me spending x amount of time only to go "nope gently caress you can't get any further yet you better walk back" then it's a poo poo genre. I bet if you made Hollow Knight a linear game it'd be so much better, but of course it'd also be shorter.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

I never finished Hollow Knight and have a bunch of complaints but one of the last things sucking out my will to play was thinking about how little I liked the combat and then reading the DLC was a boss rush mode of various lengths.

Lol, lmao, no thank you game.

Not really DLC though, there were like 4 free content updates patched directly into the base game and the boss rush thing was the final one of them. Boss rush modes are not usually my thing but I liked Hollow Knight's because most of the bosses can be defeated in like 30 seconds and then they also created a few new fights that turned out to be the best in the game

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 30, 2023

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Lol I'm eating pizza 80% for the sauce but let me share you a cursed tip to get free extra cheese on pizza: order light or normal cheese but extra sauce. 90% of the time they will ignore the extra sauce request, give you normal or lite sauce and pile so much cheese on it you can't even see the sauce or toppings anymore.

Your tip is to ask for extra sauce then hope they give you extra cheese instead?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Duck and Cover posted:

I think if your genre depends on me spending x amount of time only to go "nope gently caress you can't get any further yet you better walk back" then it's a poo poo genre. I bet if you made Hollow Knight a linear game it'd be so much better, but of course it'd also be shorter.

DontMockMySmock posted:

you just don't really like metroidvanias.

The joy comes, partially, from going "now where can i use this new ability?" and thinking to yourself, "i know, there was definitely some kind of secret or alternate path back in that other place," and then going and figuring it out. if that's not fun to you, that's fine, then don't play metroidvanias, but i need you to understand that you're literally describing the thing that makes them fun to other people.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Not really DLC though, there were like 4 free content updates patched directly into the base game and the boss rush thing was the final one of them. Boss rush modes are not usually my thing but I liked Hollow Knight's because most of the bosses can be defeated in like 30 seconds and then they also created a few new fights that turned out to be the best in the game

gently caress Winged Nosk, all my homies hate Winged Nosk

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Who are these freaks who replay games once you finish them? I don’t find joy in repeating a game faster, I find joy in discovery

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

ymgve posted:

Who are these freaks who replay games once you finish them? I don’t find joy in repeating a game faster, I find joy in discovery

if you smoke weed every moment is like joy in discovery because of the memory issues have you tried that to get more replay value out of the games you own?

have you heard of "weed?"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Private Cumshoe posted:

if you smoke weed every moment is like joy in discovery because of the memory issues have you tried that to get more replay value out of the games you own?

have you heard of "weed?"

ever look at the stars on weed?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

The joy comes, partially, from going "now where can i use this new ability?" and thinking to yourself, "i know, there was definitely some kind of secret or alternate path back in that other place," and then going and figuring it out. if that's not fun to you, that's fine, then don't play metroidvanias, but i need you to understand that you're literally describing the thing that makes them fun to other people.

I don't find it fun in figuring out that the dash key goes to the dash door. Pretty obvious. Is pogoing on spikes ever taught? I knew to do it because I've seen youtube videos, and there's a room where you could possible figure it out, but the problem is you could also go "whelp can't get that yet".

Anyway Neon White actually does that without demanding backtracking (lol at tricking people into thinking backtracking is good). So yeah. It does have lots of dialog boxes though.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 30, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Your tip is to ask for extra sauce then hope they give you extra cheese instead?

My tip is to ask for extra sauce because they will basically never give it to you and will always give you too much cheese. If you do get extra sauce then your pizza is just better anyway.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

My tip is to ask for extra sauce because they will basically never give it to you and will always give you too much cheese. If you do get extra sauce then your pizza is just better anyway.

look at this dork who thinks there is too much cheese

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Khanstant posted:

You are a menace to society

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm telling you how to get more cheese for free and I forgive you.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

I'm telling you how to get more cheese for free and I forgive you.

why buy the cheese when you can get the cow for free

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Hollow Knight sucks because its fucken ugly

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

can't you just order extra cheese, or is sauce supposed to be free but they won't give you more of the free ingredient ???

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ymgve posted:

........no 2 dota games are the same........

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Extra cheese is generally an upsell, asking extra sauce usually is free. I think asking for extra sauce is so uncommon most workers see extra at top of ticket and assume cheese and pile it on.

fridge corn posted:

Game full of cool insects except they all look like lovely newgrounds blob characters

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
scanlines actually do make emulated games look better

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

they make everything look too dark

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Devils Affricate posted:

I imagine a fast-ish 2nd or 3rd playthrough of Hollow Knight or Ori would take about as long as the same of Castlevania or Metroid. Which are the offending titles here exactly?

Maybe an actual unpopular opinion but both Axiom Verge titles in my books.

Depending on how you identify games as "Metroidvania" (I think the label is misattributed to a lot of games) : the Jedi games, Indivisible

We could have a whole conversation as to what qualifies for the label or not with how misused it has become, tbh :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As long as we don't call them keyring platformer or search action games I am ready to discuss whatever you want about the genre.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Love me some searching for my keys action.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Did you know you can put your own toppings on a pizza?

Did you know literally anything can be a topping?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Khanstant posted:

The only time Norman Reedus seems to even tune in are when he's promoting Ride with Normal Reedus.

On the other hand I can't get enough of Mads Mikkelsen stumbling around muttering "where's my BB?"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

fridge corn posted:

I will literally come to your home and loving eat you to death (this is not a typo, I will start at your feet and work upwards).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dark souls are a metroid

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Adding more movement options and progression to Dark Souls made it even better, hope the trend continues until we can flip the world upsidedown and turn into a bat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Chrysophylax posted:

Finished Jedi Survivor recently and I have Opinions I must share.

After 12 years of souls-like games I think it’s time to permanently retire the concept of a boss run. Wasting the player’s time might’ve been an intentionally designed part of the loop but I refuse to pretend that I can’t talk poo poo about it. Anything else including a loving retry button after you die would be a massive improvement.

In particular for this game tho, especially in the hardest difficulty - I will never get over how other me-sized enemies (especially bosses) just decide not to flinch after getting hit. You have to surrender any pretence of aggression and initiative because enemies will just decide they can tank your hit for 10% health to remove 60% of yours.

Basically I rediscovered why Sekiro’s combat is fantastic by way of comparison

100%. Apologists always trot out this "not playing a videogame is actually a very important part of playing a videogame" line and it's the dumbest thing ever.

The difficulty in Jedi Survivor is weird because the combat system is clearly designed for humanoid enemies so it's mostly easy as hell when you fight them, but monster enemies can be hard because the combat system kind of sucks and barely works against them.

I think part of the reason that game got such acclaim is because going on an adventure in starwarsia as store brand Luke, Han, and Leia is legitimately a huge draw for a lot of people.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 30, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Dark Souls needs a Chao World

I really disliked Sonic Adventure 2 (the Dark Souls of bad games) but dammit if those little chaos kept it somewhat entertaining before loathing myself for getting through most of it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The trick to Sonic Adventure 2 is to just play the first level repeatedly rather than progressing.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

The Moon Monster posted:

The trick to Sonic Adventure 2 is to just play the song from the first level repeatedly and do air guitar rather than playing.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

The Moon Monster posted:

100%. Apologists always trot out this "not playing a videogame is actually a very important part of playing a videogame" line and it's the dumbest thing ever.

The difficulty in Jedi Survivor is weird because the combat system is clearly designed for humanoid enemies so it's mostly easy as hell when you fight them, but monster enemies can be hard because the combat system kind of sucks and barely works against them.

I think part of the reason that game got such acclaim is because going on an adventure in starwarsia as store brand Luke, Han, and Leia is legitimately a huge draw for a lot of people.

I'm playing it now, and I was trying to explain this to my SO. Jedi Survivor is a lot of fun, really, it is. But there's something about the combat that just doesn't flow right. Dodging for example feels like it has no real feel/rhythm, the aforementioned "I don't react to being hit with a heavy attack all of a sudden" and, given all the options for dealing with being surrounded in the game, I astonished that it still is a pain in the rear end the be shoved into some very tight quarters but surrounded on all sides, and not in a "this is a challenging encounter" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Sonic Adventure 2 is a solid 8/10 if you ignore the Rouge stages. Those bring it down to a 5.