Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like if you're into business/ratings/attendance, having a high profile match that says 'you should watch/attend Collison to see big matches' is a pretty good idea.

another reason to think the match was a good idea is that you liked watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Well obviously, but how do I know if I liked something without seeing the rating or the revenue?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

little munchkin posted:

get a load of this mark

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Tony can worry about how much money he's making, I just want to see what happens when he bangs his action figures together

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

zimbomonkey posted:

Tony can worry about how much money he's making, I just want to see what happens when he bangs his action figures together

Yeah, I'm not really worried if the guy worth 1.5 billion is maximizing his profits or not. Just keep putting on these good shows with good matches and Im happy. I dont want to go back to the days of 3 minute squashes and main events with gently caress finishes.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Duke Pukem posted:

Yeah, I'm not really worried if the guy worth 1.5 billion is maximizing his profits or not. Just keep putting on these good shows with good matches and Im happy. I dont want to go back to the days of 3 minute squashes and main events with gently caress finishes.

I feel like WCW had like 90 percent gently caress finishes in its main events

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MassRafTer posted:

Their last two shows beat their two previous times in the building. They had a stretch of bad houses but there are good signs as well. Also WWE is using discounted or BXG1 free sales too. WWE's business is obviously very strong though.

Like, let’s not forget that AEW sold 80,000 tickets for a show, and the drop rate wasn’t even that bad in the end, which really rattled the WWE partisans more than they would care to admit.

Hell, even TNA/Impact is doing exceedingly well. We’re in a boom period for wrestling and we should enjoy it while it lasts.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pylons posted:

It's always been hard for the #2 promotion to compete when #1 is hot.

I mean WCW were still doing very well when WWF overtook them and business didn’t really fall off until early in 99, and when that happened it was because the shows had actively become bad and unwatchable. It was at least briefly a “rising tide lifts all boats” situation.

That having been said, continuing to put on banger shows with great matches is generally good business strategy, they can still put together big PPV cards even while giving a lot of stuff away on TV.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean WCW were still doing very well when WWF overtook them and business didn’t really fall off until early in 99, and when that happened it was because the shows had actively become bad and unwatchable. It was at least briefly a “rising tide lifts all boats” situation.

That having been said, continuing to put on banger shows with great matches is generally good business strategy, they can still put together big PPV cards even while giving a lot of stuff away on TV.

well that wasn't the only reason. WCW was overspending for years and was losing tens of millions year after year. If they had remained at least profitable and stopped caring about outspending WWF to become number one there is a non zero chance that time warner aol would have kept them around after the merger.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/italkwrasslin/status/1718706536921358588?t=0Ri9gomo46Del9_W_FwOsQ&s=19

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

well that wasn't the only reason. WCW was overspending for years and was losing tens of millions year after year. If they had remained at least profitable and stopped caring about outspending WWF to become number one there is a non zero chance that time warner aol would have kept them around after the merger.

They weren't spending much more in 99 than they were in 98, their revenue collapsed. They cut a ton of salary in 2000 but again it didn't matter, their revenue had dropped even more.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

yes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MassRafTer posted:

They weren't spending much more in 99 than they were in 98, their revenue collapsed. They cut a ton of salary in 2000 but again it didn't matter, their revenue had dropped even more.

Hell, it wasn’t even that; it was the AOL execs wanting to pivot away from reality-based TV (considering this was 2001, seems insane in retrospect) and Ted Turner no longer being in a position to overrule them.

The slimmed-down WCW that Bischoff was shopping around might’ve survivedj if it wasn’t for that, although most likely in the spot TNA would end up filling instead of competing with WWE.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins had a match involving a cinderblock curb stomp and it was the most boring thing ever.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

He's right, they should have started the build on TV about two weeks earlier, it feels like they didn't realize it until something like ten days out.

Ideally, it would have been a PPV main event but given the circumstances of the match, it didn't really slide into any of them neatly (MJF, if you beat me at WrestleDream... and then hold onto the title for about four more weeks... then you'll have the record for longest AEW title run). They could have started building it the Dynamite after WrestleDream and it would have felt better & hotter. And it's good for me as a fan when the product is as hot as possible, so the shows feel even cooler.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

little munchkin posted:

a less than 100% chance of the champion retaining

My favorite moments in matches are when I’m sure that x isn’t going over y, but then for a moment it looks like y will pull it out and I become a dumb mark again.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Yes, you would be crazy

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SuitWilliams/status/1718630147446780071

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

Hell, it wasn’t even that; it was the AOL execs wanting to pivot away from reality-based TV (considering this was 2001, seems insane in retrospect) and Ted Turner no longer being in a position to overrule them.

The slimmed-down WCW that Bischoff was shopping around might’ve survivedj if it wasn’t for that, although most likely in the spot TNA would end up filling instead of competing with WWE.

I mean my point was, there was a period in 1998 where WCW was #2 but they were still doing better than ever, so it's not necessarily the case that the #1 promotion doing well has to mean a decline for the competition. And when WCW's business did plummet it was because the show had gotten way worse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TinTower posted:

It wasn't that. It was the fact the company lost 65 MM in 2000 and was losing $500,000 per week in 2001 even after more cuts. The company was losing too much money and was sold.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Punch McLightning posted:

He's right, they should have started the build on TV about two weeks earlier, it feels like they didn't realize it until something like ten days out.

Ideally, it would have been a PPV main event but given the circumstances of the match, it didn't really slide into any of them neatly (MJF, if you beat me at WrestleDream... and then hold onto the title for about four more weeks... then you'll have the record for longest AEW title run). They could have started building it the Dynamite after WrestleDream and it would have felt better & hotter. And it's good for me as a fan when the product is as hot as possible, so the shows feel even cooler.

They realized it much earlier than that because it was a quick bit on BTE a week or two before it made it to TV. They definitely could have given it more attention for another week or two if they wanted.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
no more bangers because they cause injuries

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Duke Pukem posted:

Yes, you would be crazy

She needs to be checked into the ambrose asylum for the terminally bad takes.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Ganso Bomb posted:

They realized it much earlier than that because it was a quick bit on BTE a week or two before it made it to TV. They definitely could have given it more attention for another week or two if they wanted.

I'm referring to the BTE reference as the start of the build.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cult of Pies posted:

Literally Vince McMahon thinking

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cult of Pies posted:

Nobody ever got hurt cutting a rambling 25 min promo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Nobody ever got hurt cutting a rambling 25 min promo

Punk

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

week end and week out

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cult of Pies posted:

Hm, yes, but what if I retain object permanence?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Rendered ineffective retroactively.

https://twitter.com/cxltofhaleztorm/status/1719072698817769575

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Some people just work extra hard to find reasons not to like good poo poo.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I just want to say that when the vast majority of your revenue comes from the broadcast rights to your programming, putting high quality and high interest drawing matches on that programming is not giving anything away for free. Insufficient build is a perfectly reasonable criticism, but it ain’t giving anything away.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I just want to say that when the vast majority of your revenue comes from the broadcast rights to your programming, putting high quality and high interest drawing matches on that programming is not giving anything away for free. Insufficient build is a perfectly reasonable criticism, but it ain’t giving anything away.

Doing it unannounced at a house show would be giving it away.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

According to wwe that’s just practice tho

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Literally Vince McMahon thinking

There is a kernel of a good idea here, maybe do some more character work so you don't have to take so many risks in a match to get over with the crowd. MJF got a double clothesline over for God's sake but yeah it is incurably fedbrained.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

LionYeti posted:

There is a kernel of a good idea here, maybe do some more character work so you don't have to take so many risks in a match to get over with the crowd. MJF got a double clothesline over for God's sake but yeah it is incurably fedbrained.

I think it needs saying, the reason why it got over was because they treated what had basically become an old school innocuous move as death. If a lot of the locker room was wrestling an 80s wwf style, or hell a 2010s wwf style no one would give a gently caress about a double clotheslines. But because a lot of AEW wrestles a 20XX kinda indy style MJFs old school wrestling heel schtick gets over.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1719338985326346605

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1718976332690813234

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1715370933542850641

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1718981604616589632

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1715106437020753982

Fightful isn't the only one doing it, but the Declan aggregating feels especially silly here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Declan, are you allowed to watch anything but The WWE Universe? Blink once for yes, twice for no.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The international art thief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗