Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The fact that our year is X length of time and our day is Y and etc is not any more scientific than just going "yeah a minute is sixty seconds which is about (beat) that long". They are objective measures, but of arbitrary things, and indeed even on earth the lengths of such things have been, and will be, different.

E; I would put 232 scientific seconds in a scientific hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Swatch Internet Time still uses the French Revolutionary decimal time system.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No no no! A day is a full rotation and a year is a complete orbit! Those aren't subjective even if we use a made up unit, the second, as the base unit for the overall values. Like I said you can use Planck units to give it a purely scientific value but the second being a societal construct doesn't make it useless! It gives us something we can intuitively understand!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

bessantj posted:

I have been told that Welsh days of the week stick close to the Roman gods.

Dydd Sul is Sunday and Sul is Sol (I think)
Dydd Llun is Monday and llun is Moon
Dydd Mawrth is Tuesday and Mawrth is Mars
Dydd Mercher is Wednesday and Mercher is Mercury
Dydd Iau is Thursday and Iau is Jupiter
Dydd Gwener is Friday and Gwener is Venus
Dydd Sadwrn is Saturday and Sadwrn is Saturn

Why Welsh has done this when other languages changed their days I have no idea.

Welsh hung on to a fair bit of Latin, maybe because of wanting nothing to do with those bloody immigrant Anglo-Saxons. The one that always sticks in my mind is eglwys = church, from ecclesia.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

No no no! A day is a full rotation and a year is a complete orbit! Those aren't subjective even if we use a made up unit, the second, as the base unit for the overall values. Like I said you can use Planck units to give it a purely scientific value but the second being a societal construct doesn't make it useless! It gives us something we can intuitively understand!
Are those synodic or sidereal days and years?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If the earth is spinning, why aren't we dizzy? CHECKMATE SCIENCE

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

Are those synodic or sidereal days and years?

Yes.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Diet Crack posted:

If the earth stopped spinning we would all realise how dizzy we are throughout our entire lives and suddenly become much more intelligent and cogent

right before we all got flung off into space at 1000mph

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

bessantj posted:

Why Welsh has done this when other languages changed their days I have no idea.

Part of the extended Arthur cinematic universe is that his great grandad (Macsen Wledig/Magnus Maximus) went off to become. Emperor of Rome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/s/IVdlprlPNZ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good article by one of the only good columnists left at the graun, Nesrine Malik https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/30/keir-starmer-labour-israel-gaza

Labour losing voters over Gaza matters – whether it hurts electorally or not
Keir Starmer’s response has exposed a party out of touch with, and even contemptuous of, its grassroots

Some pieces:

quote:

Cathy had voted Labour all her life. Then she heard an LBC interview with Keir Starmer. In it, he was asked if it was “appropriate” that Israel should besiege Gaza, cutting off power and water. “I think Israel does have that right,” Starmer replied. Cathy immediately resigned from the party, which she joined three years ago when Starmer was elected leader. “This has been the last straw,” she tells me. Previous straws, she says, include a raft of policies that Labour had watered down, and Tory policies that Labour would not repeal. But Labour’s position on the siege of Gaza has killed off the little faith she had left.

quote:

The consistency in the position of several Labour voters I spoke to over the past few days is striking. The main assertion: they will not be voting for this Labour party. The reason: the party crossed a line by effectively endorsing Israel’s killing and besieging of civilians. The language of a final reckoning came up a lot: “a red line”, “a line in the sand”, “the straw that broke the camel’s back”, a “mask has slipped”. And the anger is by no means sectarian. “It’s easier to frame it as a Muslim issue,” says Calum, a member who has left the party. “It’s not a Muslim issue. It’s a human one.”

quote:

One senior Labour party member described the resignation of Labour councillors in response to the party’s position on Gaza as “shaking off the fleas”. This approach has broadly characterised Labour’s approach to the dissenting views it has attributed en masse to a cranky left, but it seems increasingly risky when a high-octane political event galvanises people across a demographic profile that is too large to be so easily dismissed. Sulekha, another voter lost to Labour in the past two weeks, tells me of an atmosphere in her local area in Hackney where people are identifying with the Palestine issue through “different intersections” as it draws in “greens, feminists and a broader liberal coalition”. Meanwhile, polling reveals a political establishment dramatically at odds with the country as a whole, in which 76% are in support of a ceasefire. That’s a lot of fleas.

quote:

Hold people to ransom as they witness a vast injustice perpetrated and they might just exercise what they see as their only means of authentic political expression. “It’s quite rare for me to feel this much anger towards politicians,” Frank, another party supporter who will now not vote Labour, told me when I asked him if he has thought about how his abstention might help the Tories, “so I’m going to heed that.” It is a damning indictment of the Labour party that this response will probably be viewed not as a moral right, but as a luxury.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

Spain has largely used GMT+1 since the time of Franco despite almost entirely sitting to the west of the Prime Meridian. We have to start asking the hard questions - are those fiendish Spaniards building some kind of time bomb with all of their stolen hours? Why are we letting them get away with this 80-year time heist?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

grobbo posted:

Spain has largely used GMT+1 since the time of Franco despite almost entirely sitting to the west of the Prime Meridian. We have to start asking the hard questions - are those fiendish Spaniards building some kind of time bomb with all of their stolen hours? Why are we letting them get away with this 80-year time heist?

It's a genius way to timefund their siestas, you have to admit.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Runcible Cat posted:

Welsh hung on to a fair bit of Latin, maybe because of wanting nothing to do with those bloody immigrant Anglo-Saxons. The one that always sticks in my mind is eglwys = church, from ecclesia.

Gaelic did too, although not all days were kept for gods. Wednesday and Friday - Diciadain and Dihaoine - refer to fasting via "aoine" meaning fast.

domhal fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 30, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Haven't the French got the original second in a box in an underground bunker somewhere in Paris?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
It's not too surprising that Christian terms should have Latin roots, I guess

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Should be using Aramaic roots imo.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Haven't the French got the original second in a box in an underground bunker somewhere in Paris?

I think you are thinking of the yard, which is the metric unit of imperialism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No they have the international standard milkshake, which is how they got all the boys to the yard in the first place.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You would think that the original second would be called the first

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

the second is waiting for it's secondment

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SixFigureSandwich posted:

You would think that the original second would be called the first

That's the minute.

(No, seriously. The minute is so called because it's a small part of an hour. The second was originally "second minute", a second order reduction dividing a minute into the same number of parts as a minute divides an hour.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

That's the minute.

(No, seriously. The minute is so called because it's a small part of an hour. The second was originally "second minute", a second order reduction dividing a minute into the same number of parts as a minute divides an hour.)

And a trice should be 1/60th of a second but isn't.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Time is just a construct, live in the moment like the beasts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, you're saying the old world is dying and the new world struggles to be born? I don't like what that implies for geopoli-- *checks notes* ah gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Now is the time of hamsters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Now is the time of hamsters.

No it isn't. Hamsters are crepuscular, they're active at dawn and dusk.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Timekeeping is a tool of the bosses and I absolutely refuse to know what time it is. If you wear a watch you are a scab.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tesseraction posted:

They're intuitively comprehensible, and they are not societally constructed, but objective observations. But they are objective measures of subjective periods! If Earth was 5m km closer or more distant from the Sun, or rotated at a different speed, our years or days would be different lengths! Just as other planets in the system already have. There's no universal constant that demands a day be the length of time it is on Earth!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

Timekeeping is a tool of the bosses and I absolutely refuse to know what time it is. If you wear a watch you are a scab.
and yet your post bears a timestamp! curious!

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Plautus posted:

The gods confound the man who first found out
How to distinguish hours! Confound him too
Who in this place set up a sundial
To cut and hack my days so wretchedly
Into small portions! When I was a boy,
My belly was my sundial: one more sure,
Truer, and more exact than any of them.
This dial told me when it was time
To go to dinner, when I had anything to eat;
But nowadays, why even when I have,
I can’t fall-to unless the sun gives leave.
The town’s so full of these confounded dials,
The greatest part of its inhabitants,
Shrunk up with hunger, creep along the streets.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Ah, you're saying the old world is dying and the new world struggles to be born? I don't like what that implies for geopoli-- *checks notes* ah gently caress

"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?"

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

radmonger posted:

Part of the extended Arthur cinematic universe is that his great grandad (Macsen Wledig/Magnus Maximus) went off to become. Emperor of Rome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/s/IVdlprlPNZ

The aardvark?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Plautus posted:

The gods confound the man who first found out
How to distinguish hours! Confound him too
Who in this place set up a sundial
To cut and hack my days so wretchedly
Into small portions! When I was a boy,
My belly was my sundial: one more sure,
Truer, and more exact than any of them.
This dial told me when it was time
To go to dinner, when I had anything to eat;
But nowadays, why even when I have,
I can’t fall-to unless the sun gives leave.
The town’s so full of these confounded dials,
The greatest part of its inhabitants,
Shrunk up with hunger, creep along the streets.

You know what, Plautus? You're absolutely right. I know I just had lunch but now I'm going to have a snack, gods drat it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
why in the name of holy hell is chandler off friends dying such a big news story? :confused:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

They're intuitively comprehensible, and they are not societally constructed, but objective observations. But they are objective measures of subjective periods! If Earth was 5m km closer or more distant from the Sun, or rotated at a different speed, our years or days would be different lengths! Just as other planets in the system already have. There's no universal constant that demands a day be the length of time it is on Earth!!

Because we live here! We have created a time system that attempts to subdivide the repetition of the solar cycle and the seasons as it allows us to have common reference points! Obviously in other places we would use local references!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

why in the name of holy hell is chandler off friends dying such a big news story? :confused:

Because it turns out that more than his love life was DOA.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Makes more sense than when the guy who played the guy who worked in the coffee shop died was a fairly big news story.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Time is entirely subjective and the calendar has no real meaning" is the kind of thinking that leads you to agricultural reform that would make lysenko blush.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i saw a bit of an episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S on the television in my bedroom in 1995 when i was still at primary school, and i remember thinking "these people are STUPID :mad:" and changing channel, and my feelings about that sitcom did not change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

crispix posted:

i feel like it received about as much attention as any other "famous person died" story - but he was only 54 so it's quite sad.

this was from an interview he did last year