Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

salartarium posted:

He definitely has some issues from his Bond villain background. The mob burned down his home, made his sister commit suicide, and he got pulled out of middle school to be sent to a labor camp.

:burger: brain, hahaha xi is a bond villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Blarghalt posted:

Gaza's arsenal, including anti-tank/material stuff, is almost entirely homemade, isn't it?

no. somehow the iranians/hezbollah/whoever managed to supply them with a ton of stuff over the past decade

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think this is the same principle used in scam emails that are obviously scams to most of us

I read it as kind of an escalation maintenance thing. “What I’m telling you is that Hamas has trained octopus chefs to cut up eight babies at once. Are you going to believe me, or are you going to believe the guys that escaped across a river last week by throwing a bunch of babies into the river and using their precious heads as footholds to hop on, creating a series of xylophone or marimba notes as they fled in their cowardice?”

Basically I think they’ve been making up cartoon poo poo to justify themselves and their actions for longer than most of them have been alive, so the target market for this messaging lives in a world where it all makes sense, and new horrors are required to keep things feeling relevant. It’s not about hooking new marks, it’s just about maintaining a sense of escalating evil so that you can justify whatever hosed up crime against humanity you’re planning on doing next week.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

If this is the situation for a while, how long can it last? Probing attacks into Gaza that are repelled, while the bombing continues and the humanitarian situation in Gaza continues to degrade. Iran and Hezbollah staying uninvolved for fears of sparking a wider war. Biden calling for a slightly bigger trickle of aid into Gaza while completely supporting the genocide. The west bank becoming more violent, with pogroms and kidnapping of more Palestinians.
What will be the thing that forces the situation to change?

It could be that "IDF going into Gaza" will play out roughly analogous to "Ukrainian Counteroffensive", the tiny ineffective raids and flag raising will just be milked endlessly until the media's enthusiasm dies away and it might lead to further internal divisions between the Genocide Faster and Genocide Slower factions of the Israeli Government, I generally agree with Al Saqr that no matter how this plays out Israel has put itself in an unwinnable situation.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Nasrallah aint gonna do poo poo, hes tuckered out from all the civilian killing in syria so he's scared of the israelis.

Cuckbollah

they are still charging up. maybe we will get some more teaser trailers between now and friday?
maybe something like the 'shhhh' video from the ukrainians offensive?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Blarghalt posted:

Gaza's arsenal, including anti-tank/material stuff, is almost entirely homemade, isn't it?

no. i dont know the proportion but they will have stockpiles of... almost everything.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cookie Cutter posted:

It could be that "IDF going into Gaza" will play out roughly analogous to "Ukrainian Counteroffensive", the tiny ineffective raids and flag raising will just be milked endlessly until the media's enthusiasm dies away and it might lead to further internal divisions between the Genocide Faster and Genocide Slower factions of the Israeli Government, I generally agree with Al Saqr that no matter how this plays out Israel has put itself in an unwinnable situation.

What's going to stop everyone just starving to death? Genuine question

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

optimistically political pressure building and continuing israeli military defeats.

less likely a major policy shift of the egyptians to find their balls or the overthrow of the surroung arab governments

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Starving everyone to death is probably Israel's plan given saturation bombing hasn't done the job of full liquidation yet.

I don't know why Israel didn't get some ye olde prop heavy bombers in their arsenal specifically for this reason. You can't dresden a place using just F16s.

edit - ah, I see. They already scrapped most of the B-36s.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Oct 30, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
so they are trying to cut off and siege the north/gaza city. then probably let more humanitarian aid in the south to draw all the starving/desperate people there.
and then siege the south and push the rest of the population into egypt, like those leaked docs were saying.
give em hell hamas

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

crepeface posted:

bond is the bad guy OP

I realized this as a kid after the intro to Diamonds Are Forever. I know it was supposed to make fun of big business, but I realized that’s the interests Bond is protecting.

fizzier
Oct 29, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
操那些为支持以色列对巴勒斯坦人进行种族灭绝的人。

那些用哈马斯的抵抗去模糊以色列对巴勒斯坦人的种族灭绝的人都去他妈的吧。

从河流到大海
巴勒斯坦将获得自由!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Regarde Aduck posted:

the most cynical guess is that many civilians will starve, further radicalising the populace (if that's even possible) while hamas almost certainly has stockpiles to keep fighting.

hopefully this rumoured 100 humanitarian aid vans a day deal gets in.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1718940323974431002?t=zivJohAF06Rgpg1KO7eS2g&s=19

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

If this is the situation for a while, how long can it last? Probing attacks into Gaza that are repelled, while the bombing continues and the humanitarian situation in Gaza continues to degrade. Iran and Hezbollah staying uninvolved for fears of sparking a wider war. Biden calling for a slightly bigger trickle of aid into Gaza while completely supporting the genocide. The west bank becoming more violent, with pogroms and kidnapping of more Palestinians.
What will be the thing that forces the situation to change?

Depends on who else gets involved.

Path 1: Nobody helps Gaza. Israel faces the unenviable task of assaulting ubran areas sitting on top of what is probably the most sophisticated tunnel network in the world for such a small area. Even if every single Palestinian not actively involved in a combat role magically keeled over dead, Israel's still looking down at months upon months evicting Hamas quite literally foot-by-foot, and Hamas determined to make them pay for every inch. Bakhmut held out half a year despite being surrounded on all sides and under constant attack, and that was a city of only 70k people, just to give a reference. Israel is a notoriously casualty-averse country despite its pretensions of being Jewish Starship Troopers, and mounting civilian casualties inside Gaza from both lack of supplies and constant bombing means the IDF claims victory and slinks off. Gaza stays in ruins for years. Israel is more hated by its neighbors than ever.

Path 2: (The is the one I see most likely) Most of the Arab state leaders are too rich or cowardly to oppose Israel directly, but the growing and serious threat of unrest from doing nothing means they have to do something, and that something means a trickle of supplies through the Egypt-Gaza border. The US turns a blind eye to this because Israel truly did screw the pooch by going all in on the genocide all at once, and it keeps things just stable enough that any trickle of refugees out of Gaza becomes a more steady trickle than a single human flood that would almost certainly cause Israel to have war declared on it by literally all its neighbors, and the US has commitments elsewhere. Outcome same as above, but now Hamas has a lifeline of supplies, however tenuous. Israel eventually tires out and calls for a ceasefire, its international standing severely diminished and the IDF's reputation a shadow of what it once was.

Path 3: Hezbollah directly invades from the North. On the offense, probably don't do that well, but tie up enough manpower to make invading Gaza almost a near-impossibility. The IDF bomb the gently caress out of Hezbollah and probably occupy a sliver of southern Lebanon again. Gaza continues to get bombed, but Israel has to make a choice between doing war crimes in the north or doing war crimes in the south, and they choose south. Hezbollah's strength is severely diminished thought they might claim victory anyway, Gaza incursion gets put off for months. Out of steam, and under pressure by the US to stop throwing a tantrum while Ukraine is going on, Israel reluctantly agrees to a ceasefire.

Path 4: Hezbollah invades and does better than I think they'd do and Israel does bad enough that it formally begs the US to bail them out with a serious ground commitment. The US probably tells Israel no, but lets it have the consolation prize of some precision bombings in southern Lebanon, free of charge. This pisses off the civilian population of every Arab country even more than they already are. Alternatively, the US actually does put serious boots on the ground in Israel. The Middle East gets set on fire. Several Arab states get overthrown, and the US gets to have Vietnam 2, but this time even more unpopular from the start.

Path 5: Every Arab state around Israel all somehow get couped or overthrown within weeks of each other and immediately enter into a military confrontation with Israel. World War 3 happens.

Blarghalt has issued a correction as of 11:52 on Oct 30, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

VoicesCanBe posted:

So this is the new atrocity propaganda story they're going with huh

almost too easy to do a steamed hams parody

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am proud of Palestine defending itself from invaders

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Heard a rumour that Hamas crammed a baby in a toaster, any truth to this?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

They see Nasrallah

They hatin

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Blarghalt posted:

Path 3: Hezbollah directly invades from the North. On the offense, probably don't do that well, but tie up enough manpower to make invading Gaza almost a near-impossibility. The IDF bomb the gently caress out of Hezbollah and probably occupy a sliver of southern Lebanon again. Gaza continues to get bombed, but Israel has to make a choice between doing war crimes in the north or doing war crimes in the south, and they choose south. Hezbollah's strength is severely diminished thought they might claim victory anyway, Gaza incursion gets put off for months. Out of steam, and under pressure by the US to stop throwing a tantrum while Ukraine is going on, Israel reluctantly agrees to a ceasefire.

The threat from Hizbullah was never ground invasion, its the fact that they are 'north-korean artillery aimed at seoul' levels of missile capacity aimed at every israeli city from tip to toe. they MIGHT be able to pull off surprise raids, but thats not at all what their key danger is. Hezbollah entering means 'no more airports, shipyards, government buildings, factories.'

fizzier
Oct 29, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Third World Reagan posted:

I am proud of Palestine defending itself from invaders

但是音乐节呢?你不关心音乐节吗?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

The threat from Hizbullah was never ground invasion, its the fact that they are 'north-korean artillery aimed at seoul' levels of missile capacity aimed at every israeli city from tip to toe. they MIGHT be able to pull off surprise raids, but thats not at all what their key danger is. Hezbollah entering means 'no more airports, shipyards, government buildings, factories.'

I must admit I'm actually ignorant what the artillery and rocket capabilities are with Hezbollah. I know they're for all intents and purposes Lebanon's actual army and Iran payrolls them so they presumably have actual military hardware as opposed to the dwarf fortress poo poo Hamas makes in their sheds

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is loving bananas. I'm losing my entire mind here.

EVEN IF that baby story was true, committing war crimes and genocide against the entirety of Gaza and the entirety of the Palestinian people isn't magically justified. Like all joking aside, my mind can't even come up with a coherent reply to these bizarre arguments of justified response because it's so blatantly insane and I somehow still believe that this should be common sense.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Israeli soldiers are “surprised” by the poor level of tanks and an official considers them a “danger to lives”

The Israeli army leadership is being subjected to sharp criticism from reserve officers gathered near Gaza, as an official explained the presence of tanks “whose engines were changed for the second time,” according to the Israeli Walla website.

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1718938240328048871?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

keep punching joe posted:

i hope so, that's pretty funny. Stupid baby.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

some kinda jackal posted:

This is loving bananas. I'm losing my entire mind here.

EVEN IF that baby story was true, committing war crimes and genocide against the entirety of Gaza and the entirety of the Palestinian people isn't magically justified. Like all joking aside, my mind can't even come up with a coherent reply to these bizarre arguments of justified response because it's so blatantly insane and I somehow still believe that this should be common sense.

they think its common sense to do the genocide op

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Blarghalt posted:

I must admit I'm actually ignorant what the artillery and rocket capabilities are with Hezbollah. I know they're for all intents and purposes Lebanon's actual army and Iran payrolls them so they presumably have actual military hardware as opposed to the dwarf fortress poo poo Hamas makes in their sheds

Hezbollah is the model on which Hamas and the Houthis were built. they dont do stuff like tanks and armoured warfare they are the tunnel and masters of artillery, anti tank warfare, defence and guerrilla operations.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

What's the actual reporting like on the war in Israel? I don't mean when the IDF's flattening apartment buildings, but the actual infantry trying to take ground. Are the casualty numbers trickling in at all or is that something the military's being absolutely tight-lipped about.

Al-Saqr posted:

Hezbollah was the model on which Hamas and the Houthis were built. they dont do stuff like tanks and armoured warfare they are the tunnel and masters of artillery, defence and guerrilla operations.

Right, I meant actual military hardware as in artillery and rockets sourced from professional militaries and the like, obviously tanks wouldn't do them a lot of good

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

Israeli soldiers are “surprised” by the poor level of tanks and an official considers them a “danger to lives”

The Israeli army leadership is being subjected to sharp criticism from reserve officers gathered near Gaza, as an official explained the presence of tanks “whose engines were changed for the second time,” according to the Israeli Walla website.

Israeli army shocked to find waging war hazardous to health.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

keep punching joe posted:

it's true i saw it

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

pardon my ignorance: i thought Hizbullah was backed by Iran, correct? if so, and if Iran also trained/helped Hamas build tunnels, why wouldn't Hizbullah eventually help Hamas? like what would the rationale be, just to strictly use Hamas to poke Israel and the US without committing forces of a *different* Iran-backed proxy?

as I write that, I feel like that's the answer, but I really hope I'm wrong

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Al-Saqr posted:

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1718938240328048871?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

I should have put "merkava tanks become instant death traps" in my list of funny things that could happen to the idf

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://x.com/adham922/status/1718940156592275948?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Qassam says their tank kill count during todays clashes is 3 tanks

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Death By The Blues posted:

and now they are fighting. There is footage of the tank firing on a civilian car on the road not sure if its safe to post here

yeah wtf, the car was turning around and trying to drive away.
reporter said they targeted that car and a bus? god drat

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Tempora Mutantur posted:

pardon my ignorance: i thought Hizbullah was backed by Iran, correct? if so, and if Iran also trained/helped Hamas build tunnels, why wouldn't Hizbullah eventually help Hamas? like what would the rationale be, just to strictly use Hamas to poke Israel and the US without committing forces of a *different* Iran-backed proxy?

the answer might be that america straight up said they would go to war against iran if hezbollah intervened, and so far Hamas is holding strong on the field, so the claim is that theyre waiting for hamas to be in real danger of full invasion before helping them which would mean a zero-sum regional war against the united states

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

permanent 🤡'clock in israel

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Tempora Mutantur posted:

Hezbollah in its current form was founded with the explicit purpose of kicking Israel out of Lebanon and then keeping them out, to which it's had varying degrees of success. They're essentially an absurdly massive border guard militia, not really built for actual incursions, though considering what's going on in Gaza right now they're probably having serious second thoughts about just sitting put in Lebanon

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Merkava tank is invincible beast! Best tank in world. Engine is in the front for extra armor, because Israel cares to protect the soldiers. The tank can even be an APC, carry extra soldiers in back!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Aren't tanks pretty much completely obsolete for most purposes in modern warfare, especially urban warfare? Like the US army literally keeps saying, stop making tanks we have no use for tanks, and then they roll out of the pork barrel factories to be parked in a boneyard forever.