Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Chronojam posted:

The bigger issue is 100 that explode, but 2 still in your barrel

Honestly cannon crew aren't that worried about stickers, either you're fast enough to run away from one, or its not your problem anymore.

Edit: A sticker is what it was called if one got stuck in the tube, likely if you get a bad ram and are firing a low charge. You know a good ram when you hear a nice metallic TUNK noise.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
We did a number of live fire exercises with our 120mm mortars. Only once did a live round fail to exit the tube and the crew (all four of them conscripts) had to unhook the tube from the base plate and gently tip it, so the live - possibly armed - HE round would slide out into the waiting open hands of the one who drew the short straw. So much sweat.

They were of course guided by our lieutenant and a weapons mech from a nice, safe distance.

So yeah, QA is nice.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Whoops

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1718911222026846649

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

lmao, amazing if true, that the group that just hung back had already prepared their victory announcement and posted it anyway after all their buddies got vaporized.

Though I love how even when they're getting their asses kicked up and down the street, some Russians just can't credit the Ukrainians with any skill. It has to be because some of their own hosed up, it can't be that the Ukrainians are good, of course.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Mzuri posted:

We did a number of live fire exercises with our 120mm mortars. Only once did a live round fail to exit the tube and the crew (all four of them conscripts) had to unhook the tube from the base plate and gently tip it, so the live - possibly armed - HE round would slide out into the waiting open hands of the one who drew the short straw. So much sweat.

They were of course guided by our lieutenant and a weapons mech from a nice, safe distance.

So yeah, QA is nice.

I think that's a wrong way to do it. IIRC, during my days in the FDF a sergeant in our brigade got demoted after firing a mortar from the hip.

The correct way is to use a special hook that is lowered to the tube to grab the grenade and it is then pulled out using strings by the side of the tube.

That sergeant didn't want to bother with the hassle and detached the tube from the base plate and support and tried to slide the grenade by himself. He ended up smacking the bottom of the tube in the ground and this ended triggering the grenade and launched it at way too shallow of an angle and flew far beyond the target zone.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Let’s not conflate long term reliability of electronics in a system designed to fail safe if not within tolerances with manufacturing defects resulting in unstable explosive filler.

The fuse in an artillery round only arms after it has seen a large shock event in the correct direction (being fired) and has exited the barrel (either by sensing spin torque or in a guided munition the processor coming up and the ins reporting appropriate acceleration and time lapse).

Murgos fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 30, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Saukkis posted:

I think that's a wrong way to do it. IIRC, during my days in the FDF a sergeant in our brigade got demoted after firing a mortar from the hip.

The correct way is to use a special hook that is lowered to the tube to grab the grenade and it is then pulled out using strings by the side of the tube.

That sergeant didn't want to bother with the hassle and detached the tube from the base plate and support and tried to slide the grenade by himself. He ended up smacking the bottom of the tube in the ground and this ended triggering the grenade and launched it at way too shallow of an angle and flew far beyond the target zone.

The demotion is still totally worth it for being the guy who "fired a 120mm mortar from the hip".

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Saukkis posted:

This owns, tbh.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What happened to his hip?

Gratuitous shot of firing the little 60

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

knox_harrington posted:

Got demoted to Knee

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

M_Gargantua posted:

Got promoted to Knee

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
What's going on here, are they running out of convicts?

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1718912487213637907

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Chronojam posted:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Given the amount of sexual assault committed against the male recruits, I shudder to imagine the desperation that would drive a woman to enlist.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
No matter what they advertise, they are essentially recruiting comfort women, aren't they?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

knox_harrington posted:

It became a Hind.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If you get a chance, read the Unwomanly Face of War, a collection of accounts covering women's experiences in The Great Patriotic War.

They came home, and were told sit down, shut up, make babies, and gently caress off. You didn't contribute to victory, you don't get to play in our parades.

It's brutal.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1718987804934373860?s=20

Off to the SMO with you all.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Do we know what caused the riot?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

knox_harrington posted:

I remember hearing he got hit in the leg, but didn't receive major injury. He was in a good enough shape to bolt to the nearest radio when the grenade launched.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Antisemitism supposedly. There was a rumor that a jet from Israel had landed.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

bulletsponge13 posted:

If you get a chance, read the Unwomanly Face of War, a collection of accounts covering women's experiences in The Great Patriotic War.

They came home, and were told sit down, shut up, make babies, and gently caress off. You didn't contribute to victory, you don't get to play in our parades.

It's brutal.

That's just regular WWII era punching down, it was the same kind of thing that happened to the WAC's, non-white veterans, colonial troops, and many other marginalized groups who contributed to victory. "We wish we didn't need you because it makes us feel less sure of our inherent supremacy, so you are going to be mocked at best if you try to be publicly acknowledged for your efforts; much, much worse if you insist on being acknowledged"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

That's just regular WWII era punching down, it was the same kind of thing that happened to the WAC's, non-white veterans, colonial troops, and many other marginalized groups who contributed to victory. "We wish we didn't need you because it makes us feel less sure of our inherent supremacy, so you are going to be mocked at best if you try to be publicly acknowledged for your efforts; much, much worse if you insist on being acknowledged"

I think a lot of people also don't realize how socially conservative USSR was in many cases. In case of women, it wasn't "a woman's job is in the kitchen" but rather "a woman's job is at a gender-appropriate job and also the kitchen".

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

windshipper posted:

It became a Hind.

Got a Sensible Chuckle from me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Door Frame posted:

We did it too, but in the USSR's case there were literally women in frontline combat jobs that got told to make sammiches from 1945 on. That's an extra level of slap in the face.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

GD_American posted:

We did it too, but in the USSR's case there were literally women in frontline combat jobs that got told to make sammiches from 1945 on. That's an extra level of slap in the face.

That's why I included black and colonial troops. I personally think the shock about the USSR's actions is because their female troops were a strong foreign propaganda tool. Like, Lady Death (incidentally a Ukrainian) toured America, talking with women's groups, and calling on men to be able to be as brave and heroic as her. Finding out that public heroes were treated horribly by the USSR at about the same time the USSR became The Enemy is an extra level of betrayal to the people who were inspired by them

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Do we know what caused the riot?

:tinfoil: THE JEWS :tinfoil:

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

Saukkis posted:

How did a sergeant get to make any kind of decisions? Let alone with live mortar ammunition? During my time we had a career officer present at all times when live mortar shells were handled.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hajotus Maximus posted:

How did a sergeant get to make any kind of decisions? Let alone with live mortar ammunition? During my time we had a career officer present at all times when live mortar shells were handled.

I'm honestly more surprised there was somewhat that senior there, I'd expect that to be a bunch of E-4's at best.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Ah that explains the disgusting "wash away" cleansing language

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Hajotus Maximus posted:

How did a sergeant get to make any kind of decisions? Let alone with live mortar ammunition?
Anybody can get to make decisions like that if they're quick enough, it's called taking the initiative :rolleye:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

Ah that explains the disgusting "wash away" cleansing language

:ssh: the shame they're supposed to wash away by dying in the SMO is the shame of participating in an antisemitic riot and damaging the airport

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm honestly more surprised there was somewhat that senior there, I'd expect that to be a bunch of E-4's at best.

This is the FDF we are speaking about. Conscription is mostly seen as a positive thing in Finland and the FDF wants to keep it that way. Considering how risk-averse this makes them , leaving conscripts alone with live mortar shells sounds a bit far-fetched.

Herman Merman posted:

Anybody can get to make decisions like that if they're quick enough, it's called taking the initiative :rolleye:

Not taking the initiative is the first thing you learn during your service.

Hajotus Maximus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 30, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Major Cain would approve

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I mean say what you will about American or British treatment of women in the military during WWII, but there wasn’t the sort of open concubinage that was fairly common in the Soviet army. The topic got brought up more recently because of the practice resurfacing in the Russian military during their war on Ukraine, but war historians documented the abuse of Soviet women pretty thoroughly: https://www.rferl.org/amp/women-russian-military-field-wife/32342221.html

Apparently the nickname PPZh became popularized in part because it was similar to the acronym for the PPSh submachine gun that was often carried by Soviet officers and veterans - the same figures who would claim women as their mistresses.

A lot of the interviews with Soviet female soldiers feature some pretty wild stories involving this sort of thing, like officers throwing grenades into ponds where women were bathing in order to force them out, or how women would carry their babies into combat because they couldn’t leave them behind: https://books.google.com/books?id=D...&q=PPZh&f=false

quote:

It was a common practice for officers to take "campaign wives" or PPZh (Russian: походно-полевые жены, romanized: pokhodno-polevy zheny (ППЖ), lit. 'field marching wives'). Women serving in the Red Army Sometimes were told that they were now the mistresses of the officers, regardless of what they felt about the matter.[115] The "campaign wives" were often nurses, signalers and clerks who wore a black beret.[116] Despite being forced to become the concubines of the officers, they were widely hated by the frontoviki, who saw the "campaign wives" as trading sex for more favorable positions.[117] The writer Vasily Grossman recorded typical remarks about the "campaign wives" in 1942: "Where's the general?" [someone asks]. "Sleeping with his whore." And these girls had once wanted to be 'Tanya',[118] or Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya.[119]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union_in_World_War_II

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 30, 2023

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

knox_harrington posted:

Got a Sensible Chuckle from me

:cheerdoge:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Kaal posted:

I mean say what you will about American or British treatment of women in the military during WWII, but there wasn’t the sort of open concubinage that was fairly common in the Soviet army. The topic got brought up more recently because of the practice resurfacing in the Russian military during their war on Ukraine, but war historians documented the abuse of Soviet women conscripts pretty thoroughly.

Apparently the nickname PPZh became popularized in part because it was similar to the acronym for the PPSh submachine gun that was often carried by Soviet officers and veterans - the same figures who would claim women as their mistresses.

A lot of the interviews with Soviet female soldiers feature some pretty wild stories involving this sort of thing, like officers throwing grenades into ponds where women were bathing in order to force them out, or how women would carry their babies into combat because they couldn’t leave them behind.

https://www.rferl.org/amp/women-russian-military-field-wife/32342221.html

Yeahhhhhhh that's why I was explicitly keeping it to postwar veterans. Actual treatment during the war was loving awful for female Soviet troops, and it's hard to think of any such large scale abuse that is comparable in any other group I was talking about

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Door Frame posted:

Yeahhhhhhh that's why I was explicitly keeping it to postwar veterans. Actual treatment during the war was loving awful for female Soviet troops, and it's hard to think of any such large scale abuse that is comparable in any other group I was talking about

It's a tricky topic, for sure. Soviet female veterans would apparently routinely bury their medals and hide their service because the negative sexual stereotypes about them were so pervasive. The topic got buried until the fall of the USSR in the 1980s, in part because their service challenged enduring patriarchal mores as well as reminded people of the widespread mass rapes and eastern VD epidemics after the war. It's unlikely that many American WAACs felt obliged to do that, though they also faced discrimination and were encouraged to return to their domestic role.

quote:

An ex-PVO gun crew commander reported that she and her friends felt they had to hide their soldiers’ papers and medals after the war; “we kept mum and didn’t tell anybody that we had been at the front,” she said.279 One female physician said that once when she wore her medals in public after the war,astrangersaid,“‘Ahha!Theregoesafrontlinewhore!’”280 BarbaraAlpernEngel discusses how the “postwar popular discourse transformed [women’s] feats into sexual transgression,” and observes that “No historian of Soviet women and World War II has discussed this transformation, in part, I think, to avoid detracting from women’s achievements and perpetuating slander best forgotten.

http://www.reinapennington.com/rjpPDFs/Pennington%20Offensive%20Women.pdf

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

For a while I was attached to a training unit and there were two salty AF hash mark 81mm mortar E-4s there who would have would have straight told any lt butting in on a misfire to go gently caress himself before he gets them all killed.

I guess that's essentially the difference between a professional military and one staffed by conscripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Door Frame posted:

Black vets in the US?