Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cat Machine posted:

Wonder if this was inspired the Nude Chun Li Incident

I had never heard of this and looked it up, and :lol: it was because the host of the tournament had nude mods installed that the players couldn't see but that's what got streamed out to everybody watching :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

Outer Worlds is a good game, just not a good Obsidian game.

This is a pretty good way to put it. It was enjoyable enough.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I had never heard of this and looked it up, and :lol: it was because the host of the tournament had nude mods installed that the players couldn't see but that's what got streamed out to everybody watching :laugh:
typing “nude chun li” into google for research purposes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

typing “nude chun li” into google for research purposes

IT: Says here somebody typed "Nude Chun Li" on the clock, let's just check the system to determine who it was.
System: Please narrow search parameters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Had a feeling the salutary neglect wasn’t going to last, they were surprisingly tolerant of mods in monster hunter and it was great but I always had the sense that it was more due to oversight than an intentional choice with PC support on the main series being a fairly recent thing

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
modding the modern resident evils is hilarious, why would they do this

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

modding the modern resident evils is hilarious, why would they do this

eSports. The moment you have too many eyes on streams and something like this happens, the suits will immediately throw a fit.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Pwnstar posted:

Outer Worlds is a good game, just not a good Obsidian game.

It's Starfield with vastly better writing but zero exploration. I enjoyed the writing and a few of the characters, but it was about 10 hours too long- I wish the game's scope was even more limited.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was really impressed with that one house where you go in and the creepy looking/behaving family ask if they can have me for dinner, I was like oh how sweet and inviting. But then much to my surprise they turned out to be cannibals!

Orv
May 4, 2011

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It's Starfield with vastly better writing...

Even a bar that low Outer Worlds doesn't clear by much at all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I noticed Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered is on sale, is it any good, what do you guys think? It has excellent Steam reviews, but I'm not as big on e.g. the Batman games as most people seem to be, so I might give it a miss if it's very similar to those. Also will I get to kiss Mary Jane, this might be the deciding factor

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Saoshyant posted:

eSports. The moment you have too many eyes on streams and something like this happens, the suits will immediately throw a fit.

It's this but I feel like it's the one-two punch of naked Chun-Li and the fact that they're at risk of a fan made mod eating into their own profits a la Nintendo and the SSB mods since people have cracked open one of the recent MvCs and a full fan roster is in the works.

(do I think that mod is a true threat to Capcom? Probably not. Do I think execs would see it that way? Yes.)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Phlegmish posted:

I noticed Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered is on sale, is it any good, what do you guys think? It has excellent Steam reviews, but I'm not as big on e.g. the Batman games as most people seem to be, so I might give it a miss if it's very similar to those. Also will I get to kiss Mary Jane, this might be the deciding factor

It's a good game but it is basically Batman

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Sab669 posted:

I was really impressed with that one house where you go in and the creepy looking/behaving family ask if they can have me for dinner, I was like oh how sweet and inviting. But then much to my surprise they turned out to be cannibals!

Bethesda employs only the finest quest writers. Some people might have let that idea get tossed in a landfill after the first time they used it -- but thanks to their more eco-friendly stance they've been able to recycle this trope over and over again for the last three console generations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Cannibals were in The Outer Worlds

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fez_machine posted:

BG3 is indisputably a AAA game, someone did the calculations in the BG3 thread and it has to be the biggest selling CRPG of all time to make back its budget.

Old post but good news for Larian on that front

https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/charts/

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sab669 posted:

I'm not even sure which game you're talking about because Fallout 3 has this exact quest and New Vegas has one that's very similar

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

EricFate posted:

Bethesda employs only the finest quest writers. Some people might have let that idea get tossed in a landfill after the first time they used it -- but thanks to their more eco-friendly stance they've been able to recycle this trope over and over again for the last three console generations.

Sab669 posted:

The Cannibals were in The Outer Worlds

The most damning of Outer Worlds there is. Bethesda-level without modding is no bueno.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Capcom can pry Slutty Leon from my vengeful, cursed hands.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Insomniac's Spider-Man games are extremely good and if the idea of swinging around an open-world NYC as Spider-Man and fighting crime sounds appealing to you, then you will probably like them

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One of the best decision about Outer Worlds is that they threw out any player-involved romances, which usually tend to come off as awkward or trying too hard. Instead they gave you the option of helping one of your party members get together with somebody, and that turned out to be surprisingly cute :3:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
There's essentially no overlap between the dev teams credited on New Vegas and Outer Worlds. Meanwhile, Outer Worlds and Outer Wilds had a writer in common.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Threep posted:

There's essentially no overlap between the dev teams credited on New Vegas and Outer Worlds. Meanwhile, Outer Worlds and Outer Wilds had a writer in common.

And that writer? John Outer

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phlegmish posted:

Old post but good news for Larian on that front

https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/charts/

There's a wide spread on those owner estimations. Anyone know which is generally the most accurate?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I kind of think it’s a problem that people see “first person western RPG” and often think it’ll be like BGS games. In reality they almost certainly won’t be outside of F:NV, and will be closer to something like Bioshock. I know whoever marketed Outer Worlds didn’t help this, but with stuff like Avowed and the Clockwork game I hope more people (usually places covering games) stop labeling them BGS-likes because they probably are much different games.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got alan wake 2 and enjoyed playing it on friday night, but then on saturday I got a bee in my bonnet about getting ps2/ps3 emulation working (my ps3 died earlier this year, which made me really sad!) and I started a new games of demon's souls as a mage for the first time. I think I've only ever really played 'normal' (spear and shield on my first run) and str, so I decided to just do whatever is the most broken and chose a royal to start with.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Mordja posted:

There's a wide spread on those owner estimations. Anyone know which is generally the most accurate?

I think they’re all some version of “not very close”. But enough little bits have come out that I think it’s probably the best selling cRPG ever already. I’m 100% confident the game has done massively well for Larian and will continue to do so for many years. Not to mention the fact that even DOS2 continues to sell very well.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Sab669 posted:

Yeah, that's part of the 10 hours I wish they cut. And also half the companions, as the ones that are well written stand out to the point that there's no reason to bring along the others.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anno posted:

I think they’re all some version of “not very close”. But enough little bits have come out that I think it’s probably the best selling cRPG ever already. I’m 100% confident the game has done massively well for Larian and will continue to do so for many years. Not to mention the fact that even DOS2 continues to sell very well.

I've had people, like my dad, that don't play anything besides normie poo poo like FIFA, come up to me and ask me for advice on BG3, and then after beating that asking me if DOS2 is any good.
BG3 is a huge phenomenon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kazil posted:

It's a good game but it is basically Batman

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Insomniac's Spider-Man games are extremely good and if the idea of swinging around an open-world NYC as Spider-Man and fighting crime sounds appealing to you, then you will probably like them

Hmm. You know what, I'll give it a go. I've never been a huge Spider-Man fan, but I never disliked him either. At the very least, the graphics look nice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Based on the ~50:1 review/purchase ratio that you usually see for huge AAA franchises I'd estimate BG3 to have sold about 15 million copies on PC alone, erring on the conservative side of things. This is somewhat complicated by the fact that BG3 had a lengthy EA period, but it's still a mega seller and easily one of the most talked about games of 2023.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm. You know what, I'll give it a go. I've never been a huge Spider-Man fan, but I never disliked him either. At the very least, the graphics look nice.

Spider-Man and the Mile Morales game were both a blast to play and look gorgeous. Spider-Man 2 is also supposed to be great but I'll have to wait for the PC version for that. Spider-Man is also like my favorite superhero of all time though so I may not be the most unbiased source v:shobon:v

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mordja posted:

Playtracker seems to be based on who uses their platform: https://playtracker.net/info/how_insight_works/

SteamSpy hasn't been updated in years, which matters because people used to review games a whole lot less so it tends to over-estimate.

At least Gamalytic shows their work: https://gamalytic.com/blog/how-to-accurately-estimate-steam-sales

Don't know about VG Insights but probably fairly indicative if they're tracking close to Gamalytic.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 30, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kazil posted:

And that writer? John Outer

https://twitter.com/VanKelsing/status/1420867088952922115?t=qfWivks0Gp8YJC0PbHEyBg&s=19

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

You're right, it's a pretty wide spread. 21.5m seems insanely high for a CRPG that came out three months ago, so that's almost certainly an overestimation.

If we can extrapolate from the number of reviews, BG3 is sitting at 342,525 right now, still far behind, say, the Witcher 3 which has 674,465. Much like the latter game, BG3's numbers will probably continue to rise at a slow pace, though. I would expect a significant spike the first time it goes on sale.

e: did my part yesterday and wrote my own Steam review, figured I might as well add to the chorus

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 30, 2023

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Orv posted:

Even a bar that low Outer Worlds doesn't clear by much at all.

yeah I dunno about Starfield but theres just nothing at all in Outer Worlds, every aspect of it is forgettable

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The setting is absolutely memorable and basically the one thing everyone recalls when someone mentions Outer Worlds, even if it is not very well utilized in the game itself.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Outer Worlds was pretty memorable to me in general, though sure the corporate aesthetics felt like a non-dilapitated cross between Fallout & BioShock. I especially like Nyoka as a companion. It felt like a tight/linear/shorter version of a Bethesda game that wasn't eating hours just exploring.

I think exploration makes those other games more memorable, but they often don't earn it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't mind there being no exploration in theory, but the maps were laid out in a way that implied there would be stuff off the beaten path, except there was nothing unique to find. If you went exploring and found something, it was almost certainly something you'd have to revisit later as part of a quest anyway. At that point you might as well just have like a Dragon Age Origins style map for each planet instead of it being a pointless open world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You're totally right. I think I figured that out after the first world or two and played that way just running from objective to objective.

I'll also say Outer Worlds and Fallout 3 are the only ones of these games I ever completely beat. I would have probably beat Fallout: NV except that vault filled with radiation permanently hosed up my character. Curing the rad sickness didn't fix the walking speed. Been years now but I don't remember if there were other problems too. I remember not being able to figure out how to solve it with the console. :(